Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Capitol Riot Probe Wants
to Interview Jim Jordan
Dec 22, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Capitol Riot Probe Wants to Interview Jim Jordan
Another House Republican has already rejected request
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has told a House member it wants to speak to him. The committee told Republican Rep. Jim Jordan, an outspoken conservative Trump ally, that it is seeking his "voluntary cooperation" in an appearance before the panel early next month, the...
Apr 18, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
Fauci Has Predictions on Vaccine Pause, Booster Shots
Expert says he didn't enjoy his confrontation with Jordan
- Dr. Anthony Fauci said Sunday that the pause on the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine could be lifted as soon as Friday. Restrictions on its use could be imposed, however,
reports. The nation's top infectious disease expert made the rounds of the Sunday TV talk shows, addressing...
Fauci to Jordan:
'You're Ranting Again'
Apr 15, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Fauci to Jordan: 'You're Ranting Again'
The two argue liberties and pandemics until time runs out
- With voices raised, Dr. Anthony Fauci and Republican Rep. Jim Jordan clashed over personal liberties and pandemics during a hearing Thursday. The heated exchange, over several rounds of questioning, went on until Jordan ran out of his allotted time and Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters told the congressman to "shut...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After
Watching Britney Spears Film
Mar 10, 2021 11:40 AM CST
Rep. Matt Gaetz Acts After Watching Britney Spears Film
He joins Rep. Jim Jordan in requesting hearing on conservatorships
- The #FreeBritney movement has apparently gained the support of Reps. Matt Gaetz and Jim Jordan, who this week called for a hearing into Britney Spears' conservatorship. In a letter submitted Monday, the congressmen asked the House Judiciary Committee to investigate how conservatorships might be used "to effectively deprive individuals...
Republican Senator Says
He Won't Seek Reelection
Jan 25, 2021 10:02 AM CST
Republican Senator Says He Won't Seek Reelection
Ohio's Rob Portman is leaving; will 'Hillbilly Elegy' author JD Vance replace him?
- Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio said Monday he won't seek reelection in 2022 and plans to end a career in federal government spanning more than three decades, per the AP . "It has gotten harder and harder to break through the partisan gridlock and make progress on substantive...
Trump to Give Prestigious
Honor to 2 Political Allies
Jan 4, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Trump to Give Prestigious Honor to 2 Political Allies
Devin Nunes, Jim Jordan will receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
- President Trump is set to present one of the nation's highest civilian honors to two of his most outspoken congressional allies, California Rep. Devin Nunes and Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, as he looks to reward loyalists with just over two weeks left in his term, per the AP . A...
Fauci: We Could Have
Vaccine This Year
Jul 31, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fauci: We Could Have Vaccine This Year
He's 'cautiously optimistic'
- Dr. Anthony Fauci reaffirmed Friday that the first coronavirus vaccine could be available to Americans before the end of the year. "We hope that as ... we get into the late fall and early winter we will have, in fact, a vaccine that we can say would be safe and...
Challenge to Ted Cruz
Jun 15, 2020 6:31 PM CDT
Star Issues Challenge to Ted Cruz
Perlman says he'll donate $50K to BLM if GOP senator wrestles him
- As Hellboy, Ron Perlman battled supernatural creatures, including a reanimated Rasputin. As Ron Perlman, he has challenged Sen. Ted Cruz to a wrestling match. The 70-year-old actor invited the Republican to become part of the main event after Cruz piped up from the sidelines during a Twitter spat between Perlman...
'Stop the Pain,' George Floyd's
Brother Tells Congress
Jun 10, 2020 6:24 PM CDT
'Stop the Pain,' George Floyd's Brother Tells Congress
Committee considering police legislation hears testimony from Philonise Floyd
- A day after his older brother's funeral , Philonise Floyd told a hushed House Judiciary Committee in Washington that he's weary. "I'm tired of the pain I'm feeling now, and I'm tired of the pain I feel every time another black person is killed for...
Jordan Challenges McCarthy
for Leadership of House GOP
Nov 14, 2018 12:25 AM CST
Jordan Challenges McCarthy for Leadership of House GOP
He says the party needs a fighter to confront Democrats
- The speaker's gavel now out of reach, Republican Kevin McCarthy is poised to take over the shrunken House GOP caucus in closed-door elections that will determine party leadership and set the tone for the new Congress. The race for minority leader is McCarthy's to lose Wednesday, but the...
Jul 26, 2018 1:58 PM CDT
Republican Pulled Into Molestation Scandal Is Running for Speaker
Jim Jordan's bid is seen as a long shot
- Hard-right Republican Rep. Jim Jordan said Thursday that he's running to become House speaker next year, a long-shot bid underscoring conservatives' frustration that party leaders haven't aggressively pushed President Donald Trump's agenda, the AP reports. Jordan, 54, is a founder of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, which...
So What Exactly
Is 'Shadow Banning'?
Jul 26, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
So What Exactly Is 'Shadow Banning'?
Trump says White House will look into whether Twitter is treating conservatives unfairly
- President Trump said Thursday the White House will look into complaints that Twitter is treating conservatives unfairly by limiting their voice on the platform. "Twitter 'SHADOW BANNING' prominent Republicans," he tweeted . "Not good. We will look into this discriminatory and illegal practice at once! Many complaints....
11 GOP Lawmakers Are Trying
to Impeach Mueller's Boss
Jul 26, 2018 6:05 AM CDT
11 GOP Lawmakers Are Trying to Impeach Mueller's Boss
'We're tired of the Justice Department giving us the finger'
- Two extremely conservative House lawmakers are leading a bid to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Robert Mueller. Reps. Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan are among 11 Republican lawmakers who filed a resolution Wednesday calling for Rosenstein to be impeached, the
reports. The men, allies of...
100 Ohio State Students Report
Sex Misconduct by Doctor
Jul 20, 2018 1:47 PM CDT
100 Ohio State Students Report Sex Misconduct by Doctor
Investigation continues into the scandal involving the late Richard Strauss
- More than 100 former students have provided firsthand accounts of sexual misconduct by the now-dead Ohio State University team physician at the center of an ongoing investigation, the university said on Friday. Over 200 former students and university employees have been interviewed so far by independent investigators reviewing allegations against...
Wrestler on Lawmaker's Denial
He Knew of Abuse: 'Hurtful'
Jul 6, 2018 9:42 AM CDT
Wrestler on Lawmaker's Denial He Knew of Abuse: 'Hurtful'
Rep. Jim Jordan says he didn't know of molestation by Dr. Richard Strauss at Ohio State
- The number of Ohio State wrestlers who've come forward to say Rep. Jim Jordan knew about abuse at the hands of their team doctor is rising, despite Jordan's adamant denials. After an initial report on three former wrestlers, NBC News interviews a fourth accuser, Shawn Dailey, who says...
Pulled Into Ohio State
Jul 4, 2018 12:34 PM CDT
Powerful Republican Pulled Into Ohio State Molestation Scandal
3 former wrestlers say Jim Jordan was told about team doctor's sexual misconduct
- A team doctor who allegedly molested athletes; coaches who reportedly knew but turned a blind eye. It's not the story of Michigan State University and Larry Nassar but that of Ohio State—and the allegations are touching a "powerful" Republican congressman. NBC News on Tuesday reported on claims...
in the Running
for Cantor's Job
Jun 11, 2014 10:49 AM CDT
Here's Who's in the Running for Cantor's Job
Reps. Kevin McCarthy, Pete Sessions likely contenders
- Now that majority leader Eric Cantor is out of the running for the next Congress, who will take his place in the GOP leadership? Politico identifies a number of potential frontrunners, starting with current majority whip Kevin McCarthy of California, who is pretty much guaranteed to seek Cantor's old...
IRS: Hey, We
May 15, 2013 7:52 AM CDT
IRS: Hey, We Targeted Lefty Groups, Too
Three of them; says groups 'of all political views' were scrutinized
- The IRS is defending itself against the Inspector General's report on its targeting of Tea Party groups, saying they made up only a "minority" of the 471 political nonprofit groups scrutinized. And, hey, three—three!—of those 471 were Democrat-leaning groups, including one, Emerge America, that was...
Limp Efforts to
Feb 28, 2013 7:22 AM CST
Senate Makes Limp Efforts to Duck Sequester
But 'it's going to happen' despite votes: Rep.
- Today, the Senate will vote on two plans that could potentially avert the sequester—but passage doesn't seem likely,
reports. The Democrats' plan, which focuses on a minimum 30% tax on millionaires as well as defense and farm cuts, lacks the 60 votes it would need to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.