Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
War of 1812
800K Maryland License Plates
Feature a Very Odd URL
Jun 1, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
800K Maryland License Plates Feature a Very Odd URL
Website on older plates now lead to a site that promotes online casinos in the Philippines
- Nearly 800,000 cars in Maryland are driving around with older license plates featuring a tribute to the War of 1812, as well as a URL that's causing the state's Motor Vehicle Administration a bit of a headache. Per WBAL , the plates feature a drawing of Fort McHenry,...
A Late President,
a Sword, and a Mystery
Nov 7, 2019 8:28 AM CST
A Late President, a Sword, and a Mystery
Cops says weapon used by William Henry Harrison was recovered; historian says no
- A sword believed to have seen action in the American Revolution, been wielded by eventual President William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and gone missing from a Cincinnati museum is now said to be recovered after 40 years, though one historian refutes the claim. Fox News reports on...
Report: Trump Blamed War
of 1812 for New Canada Tariffs
Jun 7, 2018 1:10 AM CDT
Report: Trump Blamed War of 1812 for New Canada Tariffs
'Is Britain off the hook?'
- When Justin Trudeau asked him what "national security" issue could possibly justify new tariffs on Canadian imports during a May 25 phone call, President Trump had to reach back a long way, sources tell CNN : "Didn't you guys burn down the White House?" Trump said, referring to...
No One Alive Had
Ever Seen These Navy
Artifacts ... Until Now
Dec 29, 2017 11:52 AM CST
No One Alive Had Ever Seen These Navy Artifacts ... Until Now
Dozens of 'vibrant' old flags captured by US Navy uncovered at Annapolis facility
- The curator of the US Naval Academy Museum wasn't exactly sure what would be found: Records indicated five display boxes long used to exhibit captured British flags from the War of 1812 actually concealed more banners underneath. But not until all 61 banners were painstakingly removed in December for...
Is 'Weak' Anyway
Sep 1, 2016 10:40 AM CDT
John Legend: National Anthem Is 'Weak' Anyway
And it celebrates slavery, he tweets
- John Legend is backing Colin Kaepernick in his national anthem protest : In fact, Legend says, the "Star-Spangled Banner" shouldn't even be our anthem. "For those defending the current anthem, do you really truly love that song? I don't and I'm very good at singing it....
How a Neurosurgeon
Brought Down Napoleon
Jul 30, 2015 8:06 AM CDT
How a Neurosurgeon Brought Down Napoleon
Russian general's remarkable brain surgery saved his life, resulted in visionary strategy
- As Napoleon Bonaparte's forces moved toward Moscow in the autumn of 1812, Russian General Mikhail Kutuzov burned his own city, fled east, and left Moscow open to invaders. But what some supposed were the actions of a madman instead proved visionary, as Napoleon's troops couldn't handle the...
Likely 2016 Candidate
Waffles on War ... of 1812
May 15, 2015 9:45 AM CDT
Likely 2016 Candidate Waffles on War ... of 1812
But Martin O'Malley definitely knows how he would've ended it
- With everyone on Jeb Bush's case for his wishy-washiness on whether we should've invaded Iraq, it's only fair to turn an eye toward how a presidential candidate from the Democrat side would have handled what the
calls a "war of choice." And, since possible...
UK Embassy Sorry
White House Burning
Aug 25, 2014 4:15 AM CDT
UK Embassy Sorry for Celebrating White House Burning
They had sparkler-laden cake made for 200th anniversary
- Too soon? It was 200 years ago yesterday that British troops routed an American militia and occupied Washington, DC, for more than 24 hours, setting buildings including the White House and the Capitol alight—and the British embassy in the city wasn't exactly diplomatic about the anniversary. The embassy...
'Old Ironsides' to Sail Again
Aug 17, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
'Old Ironsides' to Sail Again
Oldest warship USS Constitution to mark pivotal 1812 victory
- The world's oldest commissioned warship will sail under its own power for just the second time in more than a century to commemorate the battle that won it the nickname "Old Ironsides." The USS Constitution, first launched in 1797, will be tugged from its berth in Boston...
Divers Find 1811 Wreck
That Changed US History
Jan 9, 2011 7:17 AM CST
Divers Find 1811 Wreck That Changed US History
Divers say wreck is USS Revenge, once helmed by US Navy hero Oliver Perry
- Two hundred years ago yesterday, the USS Revenge hit a reef in heavy fog, and sank into the deep off the coast of Rhode Island. Its captain, legendary naval officer Oliver Hazard Perry, survived and was recommissioned to the Great Lakes, where his victory over the British changed the course...
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.