Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 23, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Remote-Control Ball Makes for Weird PGA Moment
Annoyed Rory McIlroy chucks fan's toy into a pond, to cheers
- A bizarre incident on the PGA Tour over the weekend is still percolating in headlines. For those who missed it, the strangeness involved four-time major winner Rory McIlroy and a remote-control ball, reports
. As McIlroy was on the 15th green of the BMW Championship in Delaware, a fan managed...
Report: Feds Now
Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Jul 11, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Report: Feds Now Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Accusations of anticompetitive behavior by PGA Tour are being investigated
- The Justice Department is now involved in the feud between the PGA Tour and its new, Saudi-backed rival. PGA Tour insiders tell the
Wall Street Journal
that the department is investigating alleged anticompetitive behavior by the tour against LIV Golf and has been speaking to players' agents about PGA bylaws...
9/11 Families Express
Outrage at US Players
in Saudi League
Jun 11, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
9/11 Families Express Outrage at US Players in Saudi League
LIV's first tournament title pays $4M to Charl Schwartzel
- The new golf league backed by Saudi Arabia crowned its first champion Saturday in the richest tournament in the sport's history, even as outrage about Americans' participation deepened. The organization that represents families and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks objected to the US players signing up for the...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
3-Time PGA Tour Champ
Killed in Car Accident
Jun 1, 2022 6:16 PM CDT
3-Time PGA Tour Champ Killed in Car Accident
Bart Bryant 'was a champion on and off the course'
- Bart Bryant, who once beat Tiger Woods to win the biggest paycheck of his career, was killed when a truck slammed into his SUV while he was stopped in a line of vehicles on a central Florida road for a construction crew, authorities said. Bryant, 59, a three-time winner on...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
Hate Mail Flooded In
After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Jan 22, 2022 5:45 PM CST
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Fans considered Bob Goalby's Masters tainted
- Bob Goalby, who helped establish the modern PGA Tour and senior tour but was punished by fans for winning a Masters after another golfer's scorecard error, has died. He was 92 and died Thursday in his hometown of Belleville, Illinois,
reports. Goalby's greatest moment in golf,...
on a Par 3
Aug 9, 2021 2:40 AM CDT
Pro Golfer Scores 13 on a Par 3
Si Woo Kim hits 5 consecutive balls into the water
- On Sunday at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational in Memphis, Korean pro golfer Si Woo Kim had a very hard time with the 11th hole. As
explains, golfers must "hit their tee shots over water onto an island green with a small bunker guarding the front edge,"...
Tiger Woods Gives His
Take on Black Lives Matter
Jul 15, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
Tiger Woods Gives His Take on Black Lives Matter
The 44-year-old golfer says 'change is fantastic'
- Tiger Woods smells change in the air, and calls it "fantastic." The legendary golfer gave his take on the Black Lives Matter movement as he returned to public-tour golfing at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio, CNN reports. "I think change is fantastic," he told reporters...
Tony Romo's PGA Tour
Debut Went Very, Very Poorly
Mar 23, 2018 7:20 PM CDT
Tony Romo's PGA Tour Debut Went Very, Very Poorly
Former NFL quarterback finished dead last in 132-man field
- Tony Romo nailed his broadcasting debut last year. The former Dallas Cowboys quarterback probably wishes his PGA Tour debut went as smoothly. The AP reports Romo finished last Friday in the 132-man field in the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship, bogeying the first six holes in a 10-over 82....
Tiger Is No. 1
for 1st Time
Mar 25, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
Tiger Is No. 1 for 1st Time Since 2010
Golfer wins Arnold Palmer Invitational, retakes top rank
- Maybe it's the luck of Lindsey ? Tiger Woods is back to No. 1 in the world with a game that looks as good as it ever has. He last held the top rank in 2010. Woods tied a PGA Tour record today by winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational...
Takes Crazy Shot
—From a Tree
Mar 24, 2013 4:11 PM CDT
Sergio Garcia Takes Crazy Shot —From a Tree
Because just taking a drop is entirely unexciting
- Faced with a ball that landed in a tree, Sergio Garcia today did what pretty much no golfer would do, ever: As
reports, he climbed about eight feet up, found his balance, then hit the ball behind him with a one-handed shot that earned him a roar from...
Tiger's New Record:
$100M in Winnings
Sep 4, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
Tiger's New Record: $100M in Winnings
Woods becomes first golfer to top that mark
- Things appear to be back on the upswing for Tiger Woods: Yesterday, he became the first golfer to make more than $100 million in US PGA Tour winnings over the course of a career. He crossed that line after bringing home $544,000 by finishing third at the Deutsche Bank...
74th Win Bests
Jul 2, 2012 1:36 AM CDT
Tiger Woods' 74th Win Bests Jack Nicklaus
Only Sam Snead has had more career wins than Woods
- With his 74th PGA Tour win yesterday at the AT&T National, Tiger Woods moved ahead of Jack Nicklaus for second-most tour victories, reports the
New York Times
. Only Sam Snead has more, with 82 wins. The victory was Woods' third this year. The first in March broke a 30-month...
After 30-Month Dry Spell,
Tiger Wins PGA Tour Event
Mar 25, 2012 5:50 PM CDT
After 30-Month Dry Spell, Tiger Wins PGA Tour Event
It's his first PGA Tour victory since his 2009 sex scandal
- Tiger Woods finally brought the buzz back to the very thing that made him famous—winning. Two weeks after another injury scare, and two days before his former coach's book goes on sale , Woods looked dominant as ever today in the Arnold Palmer Invitational. It was his first PGA...
Tiger Returns to Golf, Gets Hot Dog Thrown at Him
Oct 10, 2011 6:26 AM CDT
Tiger Returns to Golf, Gets Hot Dog Thrown at Him
Man, 31, arrested for disturbing the peace
- Tiger Woods was back on the green yesterday playing his first tournament in seven weeks, but he didn’t make headlines because of his performance. No, he finds himself a newsmaker because of the hot dog that got thrown at him. Woods was standing over a putt at CordeValle in...
Round at PGA
Aug 11, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
Tiger Plays Worst-Ever Round at PGA
He may not even make the cut tomorrow
- Tiger Woods may be back in the game, but he’s not on his game. Woods suffered his worst round ever at the PGA Championship, struggling to 7-over-par 77. Much of his game was spent in water and on sand, with three double-bogeys and five bogeys, the AP reports. “...
Golf's Seve Ballesteros
Dead at 54
May 7, 2011 5:50 AM CDT
Golf's Seve Ballesteros Dead at 54
Golfer succumbs to brain cancer, 'mulligan of my life'
- Seve Ballesteros, a five-time major champion whose passion and gift for imaginative shot-making invigorated European golf and the Ryder Cup, has died from complications of a cancerous brain tumor. He was 54. A statement on Ballesteros' website early today said the golf great died peacefully at 2:10am local time,...
Sleepy Golfer DQ'd
for Missing Pro-Am
Aug 25, 2010 4:59 PM CDT
Sleepy Golfer DQ'd for Missing Pro-Am Tee Time
Jim Furyk blames cellphone alarm for tardiness
- Jim Furyk is the most newsworthy golfer of the day— sorry, Tiger —for something he didn't do: show up for his pro-am tee time. The third-ranked player's cellphone died overnight, and with it, his alarm, reports the Newark
. He overslept, but not by much, and was just 5...
to Make Cut
at PGA Event
karma's a bitch
Apr 30, 2010 5:10 PM CDT
Tiger Fails to Make Cut at PGA Event
After 4th-place Masters finish, Woods fires a 79
- In his second tournament back from self-imposed exile, Tiger Woods missed the cut at the Quail Hollow Championship today, shooting a 79 to finish the first two rounds 9 over. It's just the sixth time in his pro career he has failed to advance to weekend play, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Last of Us Zombie Fungus Is Real, Just Not for Humans
Cops: Torture Suspect Is Using Chilling Way to Avoid Capture
17th-Century Paintings Sent for Cleaning Now 'Untraceable'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.