Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rory McIlroy Abruptly
Ditches PGA Tour Board
Nov 15, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Rory McIlroy Abruptly Ditches PGA Tour Board
Golfer made no secret of his distaste for a Saudi-funded league
- Rory McIlroy has resigned from the PGA Tour's policy board five months after complaining of feeling " like a sacrificial lamb " in the tour's quest to obtain funding from Saudi Arabia. The four-time major winner announced his resignation in a Tuesday letter to the board shortly after...
Golfer: Fan Tried to Disrupt
My Shot Over a Live Bet
Aug 20, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Golfer: Fan Tried to Disrupt My Shot Over a Live Bet
Max Homa made his putt, but he's worried about the potential for more disruptions
- Max Homa experienced the potential for disruption with betting at PGA Tour events when he said a fan yelled in the middle of his 5-foot birdie putt Saturday in the BMW Championship, per the AP . Homa already was struggling with short putts on a windy day at Olympia Fields, having...
Golf Pro: Yep,
I Cheated at
Jul 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Golf Pro: Yep, I Cheated at PGA Tour Event
Justin Doeden admits he changed his scorecard at Commissionaires Ottawa Open
- At a PGA Tour Canada developmental event last week, questions came out about a player's score. And on Monday, tour pro Justin Doeden admitted he changed his scorecard after it was signed at the Commissionaires Ottawa Open, Golf Digest and Golf.com report. The issue was first brought to...
Senators Want Answers
on PGA Tour-LIV Golf Deal
Jun 21, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Senators Want Answers on PGA Tour-LIV Golf Deal
Panel calls in leaders of both organizations for hearing
- A Senate panel would like the PGA Tour and LIV Golf bosses to explain their planned merger. Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal said the July 11 hearing will look into "what the Saudi takeover means for the future of this cherished American institution and our national interest," the BBC...
An Incredible Putt,
Then an Incredible Tackle
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 17, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
An Incredible Putt, Then an Incredible Tackle
Pro golfer Adam Hadwin is leveled by security guard who didn't recognize him at Canadian Open
- Pro golfer Adam Hadwin had good reason to celebrate—his friend and fellow Canadian, Nick Taylor, had just won the Canadian Open with an astonishing 72-foot eagle putt . But when Hadwin began spraying Taylor with champagne on the 18th hole Sunday, a security guard leveled him with a tackle more...
Report: Golfers Who Rejected
Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Jun 15, 2023 11:14 AM CDT
Report: Golfers Who Rejected Saudi Cash Will Get Saudi Cash
Sources say PGA loyalists will get payments to 'level up' with those who joined breakaway league
- The bitter split dubbed "golf's civil war" ended last week with a surprise merger between Saudi Arabia's LIV Golf venture and the PGA Tour and European Tour—and insiders say the peace deal will include some Saudi money for PGA loyalists who turned down enticements to join...
9/11 Families to
Jun 9, 2023 2:45 PM CDT
DeChambeau Wants 9/11 Families to Forgive Saudis
LIV golfer suggests everyone move on from terror attacks
- The relatives of the 9/11 attack victims who oppose LIV Golf, saying Saudi Arabia is guilty of sponsoring terrorism and human rights abuses, won't be counting on the support of Bryson DeChambeau. The Dallas golfer, who jumped from the PGA Tour to LIV last year, has called on the...
Rory McIlroy Has That
'Sacrificial Lamb' Feeling
Jun 8, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Rory McIlroy Has That 'Sacrificial Lamb' Feeling
Star golfer concedes advantages to PGA-LIV merger
- One of the PGA Tour's biggest stars has made clear, merger or not , how he feels about LIV Golf. "I still hate LIV," Rory McIlroy told reporters Wednesday. "Like, I hate LIV." But he's still a fan of the PGA. And he hasn't...
'Stunning' Merger Pairs
PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Jun 6, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
'Stunning' Merger Pairs PGA With Saudi's LIV Tour
Agreement appears to end an acrimonious year in world of pro golf
- The most disruptive year in golf ended Tuesday when the PGA Tour and European Tour agreed to a merger with Saudi Arabia's golf interests, creating a commercial operation designed to unify professional golf around the world, per the AP . As part of the deal, the sides are dropping all...
Aug 23, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Remote-Control Ball Makes for Weird PGA Moment
Annoyed Rory McIlroy chucks fan's toy into a pond, to cheers
- A bizarre incident on the PGA Tour over the weekend is still percolating in headlines. For those who missed it, the strangeness involved four-time major winner Rory McIlroy and a remote-control ball, reports
. As McIlroy was on the 15th green of the BMW Championship in Delaware, a fan managed...
Report: Feds Now
Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Jul 11, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Report: Feds Now Involved in LIV Golf Battle
Accusations of anticompetitive behavior by PGA Tour are being investigated
- The Justice Department is now involved in the feud between the PGA Tour and its new, Saudi-backed rival. PGA Tour insiders tell the
Wall Street Journal
that the department is investigating alleged anticompetitive behavior by the tour against LIV Golf and has been speaking to players' agents about PGA bylaws...
9/11 Families Express
Outrage at US Players
in Saudi League
Jun 11, 2022 3:40 PM CDT
9/11 Families Express Outrage at US Players in Saudi League
LIV's first tournament title pays $4M to Charl Schwartzel
- The new golf league backed by Saudi Arabia crowned its first champion Saturday in the richest tournament in the sport's history, even as outrage about Americans' participation deepened. The organization that represents families and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks objected to the US players signing up for the...
With This Tee-Off, World
of Golf Is in Turmoil
Jun 9, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
With This Tee-Off, World of Golf Is in Turmoil
Saudi-financed LIV league threatens to cause a major split among professional golfers
- Some big names in golf teed off Thursday in a tournament just outside London, but the resulting headlines aren't focusing on who might win or lose. Instead, they're all about how the inaugural LIV Golf Invitational has sent the world of professional golf into a tizzy. Why? The...
3-Time PGA Tour Champ
Killed in Car Accident
Jun 1, 2022 6:16 PM CDT
3-Time PGA Tour Champ Killed in Car Accident
Bart Bryant 'was a champion on and off the course'
- Bart Bryant, who once beat Tiger Woods to win the biggest paycheck of his career, was killed when a truck slammed into his SUV while he was stopped in a line of vehicles on a central Florida road for a construction crew, authorities said. Bryant, 59, a three-time winner on...
Feb 23, 2022 1:20 AM CST
Phil Mickelson Apologizes After Saudi League Comments
Pro golfer said he would consider playing for Saudi Arabia despite its record on human rights
Phil Mickelson is sorry. In a tweeted statement Tuesday, the golfer apologized for the "reckless" comments that came out last week, and insisted he has always had the best interests of golf, his peers, his sponsors, and fans of the sport at heart. "There is the problem...
Hate Mail Flooded In
After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Jan 22, 2022 5:45 PM CST
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Fans considered Bob Goalby's Masters tainted
- Bob Goalby, who helped establish the modern PGA Tour and senior tour but was punished by fans for winning a Masters after another golfer's scorecard error, has died. He was 92 and died Thursday in his hometown of Belleville, Illinois,
reports. Goalby's greatest moment in golf,...
on a Par 3
Aug 9, 2021 2:40 AM CDT
Pro Golfer Scores 13 on a Par 3
Si Woo Kim hits 5 consecutive balls into the water
- On Sunday at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational in Memphis, Korean pro golfer Si Woo Kim had a very hard time with the 11th hole. As
explains, golfers must "hit their tee shots over water onto an island green with a small bunker guarding the front edge,"...
Tiger Woods Gives His
Take on Black Lives Matter
Jul 15, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
Tiger Woods Gives His Take on Black Lives Matter
The 44-year-old golfer says 'change is fantastic'
- Tiger Woods smells change in the air, and calls it "fantastic." The legendary golfer gave his take on the Black Lives Matter movement as he returned to public-tour golfing at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio, CNN reports. "I think change is fantastic," he told reporters...
Tony Romo's PGA Tour
Debut Went Very, Very Poorly
Mar 23, 2018 7:20 PM CDT
Tony Romo's PGA Tour Debut Went Very, Very Poorly
Former NFL quarterback finished dead last in 132-man field
- Tony Romo nailed his broadcasting debut last year. The former Dallas Cowboys quarterback probably wishes his PGA Tour debut went as smoothly. The AP reports Romo finished last Friday in the 132-man field in the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship, bogeying the first six holes in a 10-over 82....
Tiger Is No. 1
for 1st Time
Mar 25, 2013 1:06 PM CDT
Tiger Is No. 1 for 1st Time Since 2010
Golfer wins Arnold Palmer Invitational, retakes top rank
- Maybe it's the luck of Lindsey ? Tiger Woods is back to No. 1 in the world with a game that looks as good as it ever has. He last held the top rank in 2010. Woods tied a PGA Tour record today by winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.