Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Feds Find First
Major Drug Tunnel
May 17, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Feds Find First Major Drug Tunnel Since 2020
It ran from Tijuana to San Diego warehouse
- The legalization of marijuana in California hasn't put the cross-border tunnel builders in the San Diego area out of business, but the highly sophisticated tunnels are now being used for different drugs, federal authorities say. The latest tunnel to be detected ran 1,744 feet from a property in...
Aug 8, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
'Sophisticated' Border Tunnel Stuns Officials
It has ventilation, water, electrical, you name it
- An incomplete tunnel found stretching from Mexico to Arizona appears to be "the most sophisticated tunnel in US history," authorities said. The tunnel intended for smuggling ran from a neighborhood in San Luis Río Colorado, Mexico, to San Luis, Arizona, where it stopped short of reaching the...
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in
San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Apr 1, 2020 8:04 AM CDT
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Tunnel from Tijuana had its own rail system
- Authorities in San Diego have found another cross-border smuggling tunnel long enough to rival the only subway portion of the city's transit system—along with a lot more drugs than usual. Federal agents say they found drugs worth almost $30 million in the 2,000-foot tunnel, which connected warehouses...
Authorities Stunned by
Border Smuggling Tunnel
Jan 30, 2020 6:50 AM CST
Authorities Stunned by Border Smuggling Tunnel
It is the longest ever found
- US authorities on Wednesday announced the discovery of the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the Southwest border, stretching more than three-quarters of a mile from an industrial site in Tijuana, Mexico, to the San Diego area. The tunnel featured an extensive rail cart system, forced air ventilation, high voltage...
Officials: Man Paid
$390K for Old KFC,
Used It in 'Conspiracy'
Aug 24, 2018 3:53 AM CDT
Officials: Man Paid $390K for Old KFC, Used It in 'Conspiracy'
Drug tunnel discovered under it
- A 600-foot tunnel was discovered leading from under a bed in Mexico to the kitchen of a former KFC restaurant in Arizona—and authorities do not believe a fast food aficionado was responsible. Authorities say the cross-border tunnel was used to smuggle drugs including methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, and fentanyl, the...
Feds Find Longest-Ever
Mexico-Calif. Drug Tunnel
Apr 21, 2016 3:50 AM CDT
Feds Find Longest-Ever Mexico-Calif. Drug Tunnel
San Diego business was selling a lot more than wooden pallets
- Federal authorities say they've discovered a cross-border tunnel that runs a half-mile from a Tijuana, Mexico, house equipped with a large elevator to a lot in San Diego that was advertised as a wooden pallet business, resulting in seizures of more than a ton of cocaine and 7 tons...
2 More Big
Apr 5, 2014 6:00 AM CDT
2 More Big Drug Tunnels to Mexico Uncovered
They ran from Tijuana to San Diego
- Federal agents discovered two more major drug tunnels between California and Mexico this week, reports
. Each began under a warehouse in Tijuana and ended under another in San Diego. The discovery holds a lesson for cartels: If you're going to spend millions building these things, you might...
Drug Tunnel Found
Oct 31, 2013 8:10 AM CDT
Intricate US-Mexico Drug Tunnel Found
It had lighting, own rail system
- Imagine the frustration: You've
finished your "highly sophisticated" drug smuggling tunnel when the feds find it and shut it down before you can even use it. The latest US-Mexico tunnel to be uncovered ran between San Diego and Tijuana, and it had lighting and even a rail...
'Extraordinary' US-Mexico Drug Tunnel Found
Jul 13, 2012 3:15 AM CDT
'Extraordinary' US-Mexico Drug Tunnel Found
Arizona tunnel was built by professional engineers, DEA says
- One of the biggest and best-engineered cross-border drug tunnels yet has been found by drug enforcement agents in the US. The 755-foot tunnel linked a warehouse in southwestern Arizona with a derelict ice-making plant behind a strip club in Mexico, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. It could only be accessed...
Feds Find Another
Huge Drug Tunnel
Nov 30, 2011 2:01 PM CST
Feds Find Another Huge Drug Tunnel
It connected warehouses in Mexico and California
- Another massive tunnel used for drug smuggling that stretches across the US-Mexican border is out of operation. The subterranean passageway connected a warehouse in Tijuana to a warehouse in San Diego and is the latest and most significant among a string of hidden drug-smuggling corridors located by authorities, reports AP...
San Diego Tunnel Yields
17 Tons of Pot
Nov 17, 2011 5:30 AM CST
San Diego Tunnel Yields 17 Tons of Pot
Cross-border tunnel linked US site to Tijuana warehouse
- Who needs drug mules when you have drug moles? Federal agents seized a total of 17 tons of marijuana after discovering a tunnel linking warehouses in Tijuana and San Diego, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. The tunnel, believed to be the work of the Sinaloa cartel was the length of...
Arizona Cops Find
May 10, 2011 4:38 AM CDT
Arizona Cops Find Find High-Tech Mexico Drug Tunnel
Underground drug freeway fitted with lights, water pumps, ventilation
- Investigators have discovered a sophisticated drug cartel tunnel linking Mexico to Arizona, complete with lights and a ventilation systems. The tunnel connects an abandoned building in Noglales, Mexico, to Nogales, Arizona, and is 15 feet underground. "This tunnel is more sophisticated than others," said an investigator. "They...
in San Diego
Nov 26, 2010 8:51 AM CST
Police Bust 'Sophisticated' Drug Tunnel in San Diego
It's the second such discovery in the region this month
- Just weeks after uncovering a drug smuggling tunnel some six football fields long , officials in San Diego have busted a second such passageway. The half-mile tunnel runs from a home in Tijuana to a San Diego warehouse—which happens to be located near the building that housed the entrance to...
Drug Bust Uncovers
Nov 4, 2010 8:50 AM CDT
Drug Bust Uncovers 1,800-Foot Tunnel
25-ton seizure is one of the largest in San Diego history
- US officials seized more than 25 tons of marijuana from drug warehouses in San Diego and Tijuana after finding a 1,800-foot tunnel linking the two. The lighted, ventilated tunnel—which is about six football fields long—was discovered after officials found 10 tons of marijuana in a suspicious tractor-trailer,...
Oct 3, 2010 7:30 AM CDT
Drug Smugglers Burrow
Arizona town stands over network of tunnels to Mexico
- Drug smugglers have found a new way to sneak their merchandise across the US-Mexico border : Under it. The heart of the burrowing business are the Nogales—two towns bearing the same name on either side of the border, notes the
New York Times
. There, in an old network of drainage...
Massive Drug Tunnel
Found Under Mexico Border
Jun 12, 2009 1:46 AM CDT
Massive Drug Tunnel Found Under Mexico Border
Elaborate smuggling tunnel to Arizona has electricity, ventilation system
- The US Border Patrol has uncovered one of the biggest and most sophisticated smuggling tunnels under the Mexican border it has ever seen, CNN reports. The 83-foot tunnel to Arizona from Nogales, Mexico, was still under construction when it was found after a tipoff from somebody who heard construction sounds....
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.