Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Engineer Says Tesla
Self-Driving Video Was Staged
Jan 17, 2023 8:38 PM CST
Engineer Says Tesla Self-Driving Video Was Staged
'The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016'
- A 2016 video promoting Tesla's self-driving technology wasn't what it appeared to be, a Tesla engineer testified. In previously unreported testimony, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software, said the video was staged and the Tesla Model X involved wasn't really driving itself, reports Reuters . "The intent...
Tesla Issues Recall
Over 'Rolling Stops'
Feb 1, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Tesla Issues Recall Over 'Rolling Stops'
54K cars, SUVs recalled due to Full Self-Driving feature that critics say is unsafe
- Tesla is recalling nearly 54,000 cars and SUVs because its "Full Self-Driving" software lets them roll through stop signs without coming to a complete halt. Documents posted Tuesday by US safety regulators say Tesla will disable the feature with an over-the-internet software update, per the AP . The "...
Feature Puts Car
in 'Assertive' Mode
Jan 11, 2022 2:19 PM CST
Tesla Self-Driving Feature Puts Car in 'Assertive' Mode
It allows vehicle to shorten follow distance, come to 'rolling stops'
- A Tesla self-driving feature is drawing backlash for what some are saying could lead to too-aggressive driving. The Verge reports that the company's Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta allows vehicle operators to choose from one of three driving modes that control how the car reacts to road conditions: "Chill,...
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles
With No Human on Board
Dec 29, 2021 10:45 AM CST
A Truck Just Drove 80 Miles With No Human on Board
Autonomous trucker TuSimple logs first no-human road test in Arizona
- A semitruck completed an 80-mile route in Arizona with no human on board and no human intervention during the trip using technology developed by TuSimple, the company said Wednesday. The San Diego company says it's the first successful fully-autonomous run by a Class 8 vehicle, or semi, on open...
Report: Apple Is Working
on Fully Self-Driving Car
Nov 22, 2021 1:29 PM CST
Report: Apple Is Working on Fully Self-Driving Car
Sources say company plans to launch by 2025
- Apple's secretive "Project Titan" car team has shifted gears, insiders say. Sources tell Bloomberg that the team is now concentrating on creating a fully self-driving vehicle and aims to launch it by 2025. Bloomberg's sources say the company recently reached a "key milestone in developing the...
Cop to Driver: 'I Followed
You for About 2 Miles
and You Were Sleeping'
in case you missed it
May 23, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Cop to Driver: 'I Followed You for About 2 Miles and You Were Sleeping'
Wisconsin authorities say man was behind the wheel of a Tesla using its Autopilot feature
- According to the Tesla website , the Autopilot feature built in to all of its new vehicles offers "advanced safety and convenience features ... designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving." For an Illinois man who took a spin in Wisconsin over the weekend, one of...
'No One Was in the Driver Seat'
When Tesla Fatally Crashed
Apr 19, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
'No One Was in the Driver Seat' When Tesla Fatally Crashed
2 Texas men, ages 59 and 69, are dead
- Two Texas men are dead after a Tesla Model S crashed late Saturday, apparently while in autopilot mode. "No one was driving" when the car hit a tree in Spring around 11:25pm, Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman tells Click2Houston . The brother-in-law of one man says the...
Here's Your New
Apr 13, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Here's Your New Pizza-Delivery Robot
Domino's is testing service in a single neighborhood in Houston
- Robot pizza delivery is here, at least for a limited few. Domino's Pizza is testing a service that allows customers in Houston's Woodland Heights neighborhood to have their pizza delivered by autonomous vehicles created by robotics company Nuro. These were the first completely autonomous vehicles approved by the...
Is This the Car of the Future?
Dec 15, 2020 6:57 AM CST
Is This the Car of the Future?
Bezos-owned Zoox reveals self-driving taxi with no steering wheel
- Taxi service could someday look quite different: Zoox, a self-driving startup acquired by Jeff Bezos' Amazon in June, on Monday revealed its autonomous taxi prototype. The robotaxi, which does away with the steering wheel, pedals, and driver's seat entirely, "reimagines the entire premise of a car," per...
Oct 9, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Waymo Launches Fully Driverless Ride Service
Phoenix vehicles will no longer have backup drivers
- Waymo is allowing the general public to hitch a ride in its driverless autonomous vehicles in Phoenix, expanding a service it had been quietly offering to a select group of riders for the past year. The vehicles, which will have no back-up drivers behind the wheel to take over in...
The Car Was Going 93mph.
The Driver Was Taking a Nap
Sep 18, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
The Car Was Going 93mph. The Driver Was Taking a Nap
Canadian officers say they found both front seats reclined, car apparently on Autopilot
- Police in Canada say a man has been charged over a July incident in which he was allegedly snoozing away as his apparently self-driving car traveled more than 93mph. Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were alerted around 4pm on July 9 to a Tesla Model S speeding down the highway...
Cops: Man Smashes Into Patrol
Cars While Catching a Flick
Aug 27, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Cops: Man Smashes Into Patrol Cars While Catching a Flick
North Carolina doctor had his Tesla in 'Autopilot' mode, police say
- Bad luck: to crash into other vehicles while driving. Worse luck: to crash into other vehicles that happen to be police cars. Worst luck of all: to do all of the above while you're watching a movie. Officials in North Carolina say that was the fate of a Raleigh...
Ex-Google Exec Gets Prison
for Stealing Robocar Secrets
Aug 5, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Ex-Google Exec Gets Prison for Stealing Robocar Secrets
Anthony Levandowski also ordered to pay more than $850K
- A former Google engineer has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to stealing trade secrets before joining Uber's effort to build robotic vehicles for its ride-hailing service. The sentence handed down Tuesday by US District Judge William Alsup came more than four months after former...
Engineer Admits Stealing
Self-Driving Car Secrets
Mar 20, 2020 2:29 PM CDT
Engineer Admits Stealing Self-Driving Car Secrets
Anthony Levandowski worked for Google, then started his own company
- An engineer is facing a prison sentence after pleading guilty to one count of stealing trade secrets from Google. Anthony Levandowski, who worked in the self-driving division, admitted to downloading thousands of files to his personal laptop, CNBC reports. One of the files was an update on the self-driving program....
NTSB: Tesla Driver
Was Playing Video Game
During Fatal Crash
Feb 26, 2020 12:11 AM CST
NTSB: Tesla Driver Was Playing Video Game During Fatal Crash
'If you own a car with partial automation, you do not own a self-driving car'
- The National Transportation Safety Board says the driver of a Tesla SUV who died in a Silicon Valley crash two years ago was playing a video game on his smartphone while his vehicle was being controlled by a partially automated driving system. Chairman Robert Sumwalt said at the start of...
Tesla Crash Kills 2
Jan 1, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Tesla Crash Kills 2
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating
- A Tesla crash killed two people in the wee hours of Sunday in a Los Angeles suburb, and now the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating. The Tesla Model S was speeding, ran a red light, and hit a Honda Civic at the Gardena intersection, killing a man and...
Johnson's Role in Brexit
Predicted 22 Years Ago
Dec 25, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Johnson's Role in Brexit Predicted 22 Years Ago
Too bad flying cars are still a ways off
- We're nearly a fifth of the way into the 21st century with no flying cars in sight. That's one prediction for the year 2020 that's gone by the wayside. But other predictions—from Brexit to fitness trackers to self-driving cars—turned out to be right on the...
Ex-Google Engineer Charged
With Stealing Top-Secret Info
Aug 27, 2019 2:22 PM CDT
Ex-Google Engineer Charged With Stealing Top-Secret Info
Anthony Levandowski charged with 33 counts of trade secrets theft in case involving Uber
- A former Google engineer was charged Tuesday with stealing closely guarded secrets that he later sold to Uber as the ride-hailing service scrambled to catch up in the high-stakes race to build robotic vehicles. The indictment filed by the US Attorney's office in San Jose, California, is an offshoot...
Uber Not Liable in
That Killed Woman
Mar 6, 2019 9:05 AM CST
Uber Not Liable in Self-Driving Crash That Killed Woman
But the driver could still face charges over fatal crash in Arizona last year
- An Arizona prosecutor has determined that Uber isn't criminally liable in a crash last year in which one of its self-driving SUVs fatally struck a pedestrian in suburban Phoenix. But it's not known whether prosecutors are considering charges against the driver in the March 18 crash in Tempe...
Uber Killed Her.
Her Family Targets
Where She Died
Feb 4, 2019 7:21 AM CST
A Self-Driving Uber Killed Her. Her Family Targets Where She Died
$10M claim says city of Tempe, Ariz., had brick path that encouraged people to jaywalk
- Family members of the first American killed by an autonomous Uber vehicle have settled with Uber itself, but now they're going after an Arizona city for the homeless woman's death. Per the
, Elaine Herzberg, 49, was killed March 18, 2018, in Tempe by an Uber Volvo...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Pam Anderson Isn't Who You Think She Is
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.