Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
Jon Gruden Addresses Racist Remark
Says he's apologized to DeMaurice Smith over 2011 comment
- Jon Gruden again said he is not a racist after his Las Vegas Raiders lost their first game since the revelation of the head coach's 2011 racial remark about players’ union leader DeMaurice Smith. Gruden apologized for his “insensitive remarks” when asked about the decade-old emails following the...
Sage Steele Is Off the Air
After Controversial Remarks
Oct 5, 2021 6:01 PM CDT
Sage Steele Is Off the Air After Controversial Remarks
Insiders say anchor, ESPN agreed it was time for a break
: ESPN anchor Sage Steele will be off the air for at least a few days following controversial remarks she made on a podcast. On Jay Cutler's podcast, the
co-host described the network's vaccine mandate as "sick" and questioned why Barack Obama identifies as Black, "...
Chant at Ashton
Sep 12, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Football Fans Direct Unusual Chant at Ashton Kutcher
'Take a shower!' crowd at U of Iowa-Iowa State game yelled at 'Punk'd' star during ESPN appearance
- Iowa State played the University of Iowa on Saturday, and one of the latter's most famous students showed up in Ames to weigh in on ESPN's
. But when Ashton Kutcher started making his picks, the crowd's reaction wasn't a typical one, though it didn'...
ESPN Reporter Steps Down
Over Vaccine Mandate
Sep 10, 2021 4:35 AM CDT
ESPN Reporter Steps Down Over Vaccine Mandate
Allison Williams says getting COVID vaccine is 'not in her best interest'
- Veteran ESPN reporter Allison Williams says her "heart hurts" at not being on the sidelines for college football for the first time in 15 years—but she has decided to step aside instead of complying with a COVID vaccine mandate. Williams tweeted Wednesday that while her work is extremely...
Mysterious 'High School' Team
Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Aug 31, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Mysterious 'High School' Team Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Bishop Sycamore might not be legit
- A national ESPN broadcast featured a game between one of the best high school football teams in the country and a team no one had heard of until Sunday's matchup. Bishop Sycamore—which claims to be an online prep school based in Columbus, Ohio—has yet to record a...
ESPN Has Canceled
Rachel Nichols' Show
Aug 26, 2021 1:50 AM CDT
ESPN Has Canceled Rachel Nichols' Show
Following controversial remarks on Maria Taylor
- Less than two months after her comments about a Black colleague at ESPN made headlines , Rachel Nichols' show at the sports network is no more. ESPN announced Wednesday that
will be canceled and Nichols will be taken off NBA coverage, the AP reports. Nichols had complained last year...
Jul 21, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Taylor Leaves ESPN After Comments By Nichols
Colleague had suggested promotion was course correction on diversity
- Maria Taylor is leaving ESPN after the two sides were unable to reach an agreement on a contract extension. Taylor had been with ESPN since 2014, but her contract expired Tuesday. Her last assignment for the network was Tuesday night at the NBA Finals, where she was the pregame and...
Stephen A. Smith
Jul 13, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Stephen A. Smith Sorry About Shohei Ohtani Comments
ESPN personality disparaged baseball player's use of interpreters
- ESPN's Stephen A. Smith is in hot water after comments he made about Major League Baseball star Shohei Ohtani. On the network's
on Monday morning, Smith was asked whether it's a positive thing for the MLB that Ohtani, who is being widely compared to Babe...
Won't Work the
Jul 6, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Rachel Nichols Won't Work the NBA Finals for ESPN
Reporter's apology apparently doesn't cut it
- ESPN has pulled reporter Rachel Nichols off the court for the NBA Finals after comments she made about a colleague and the network caused an uproar—despite her apology. Nichols had been scheduled to be the main sideline reporter for the Finals, which begin Tuesday, per the Hill . "We...
Jul 6, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Rachel Nichols Issues an Apology
ESPN reporter is sorry for what she said about Maria Taylor
- Rachel Nichols is sorry for implying Maria Taylor was offered a hosting gig at ESPN simply because she's Black. The controversy erupted after Nichols' comments from last year were reported in the
New York Times
this weekend; at the start of Monday's episode of
, which Nichols...
at Promotion of
Jul 4, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Reporter's Dig at Promotion of Black Colleague Pressures ESPN
Rachel Nichols complained about hosting job going to Maria Taylor
- Internal tension that has been building for a year at ESPN over its handling of racial diversity issues is about to peak, as the network has to make a decision about a star reporter's contract. The issue that started it was whether Maria Taylor, who is Black, or Rachel...
After Racy Video,
Paul Pierce Is Out at ESPN
Apr 6, 2021 1:20 AM CDT
After Racy Video, Paul Pierce Is Out at ESPN
Instagram Live showed him surrounded by exotic dancers
- Paul Pierce will no longer work as an NBA analyst for ESPN after a raunchy Instagram Live he posted over the weekend, sources say. The former Boston Celtics star was shown smoking, drinking, and playing poker in a room where exotic dancers were twerking, Front Office Sports ,
USA Today ,
Pedro Gomez Was 'More
Than a Media Personality'
Feb 8, 2021 4:08 PM CST
Pedro Gomez Was 'More Than a Media Personality'
Baseball mourns longtime reporter
- Pedro Gomez, an ESPN reporter who covered 25 World Series and 22 All-Star Games, has died. He was 58. The network said his death was unexpected, CNN reports. "Pedro was an elite journalist at the highest level and his professional accomplishments are universally recognized," ESPN said. "More...
Nov 5, 2020 4:24 PM CST
ESPN Announces Big Layoffs
300 to lose jobs as network hasn't recovered from 4 months without games
- When the pandemic hit, ESPN was left with hardly any games to show for four months. Sports is back, but ratings and advertising still lag. Now the other shoe has dropped for employees of the cable network. The company is laying off 300 people and not filling another 200 jobs,...
Jul 12, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
ESPN Reporter Suspended for Crude Email to Senator
Adrian Wojnarowski expressed himself in 2 short words
- Star NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski got in hot water this week for sending a profane email to a senator—but Wojnarowski is also getting his share of support among NBA players, Yahoo! Sports reports. The story broke Friday on OutKick when Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) tweeted a screenshot of...
Live From South Korea,
Baseball Returns to ESPN
May 4, 2020 7:55 PM CDT
Live From South Korea, Baseball Returns to ESPN
Opening Day is Tuesday on network
- ESPN's search for a sport being played during the pandemic shutdown has paid off. Starting Tuesday, the network will carry six games a week from the KBO League. South Korean baseball is the only professional league playing through the pandemic, the Wrap reports. "I hope the KBO League...
Thursday's NFL Draft
Will Be a Strange One
Apr 23, 2020 2:24 PM CDT
Thursday's NFL Draft Will Be a Strange One
League teams up with ESPN to hold 'unprecedented' virtual draft
- Commissioner Roger Goodell won't have to leave his "man cave" to preside over this year's NFL draft, because it's going to be a "virtual extravaganza," per the
New York Post
—meaning the entire thing will be produced remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic....
Obama's Title in Jordan
Film Gets a Laugh
Apr 20, 2020 12:01 PM CDT
Obama's Title in Jordan Film Gets a Laugh
But director has his reasons for labeling him 'former Chicago resident'
- ESPN began airing its 10-part Michael Jordan documentary Sunday night, and one small moment from
The Last Dance
drew a bit of attention online. When Barack Obama appeared in the film, the chyron described him only as "Former Chicago Resident," notes
. Sites such as BuzzFeed and Vulture...
We May Soon
See an NBA
Apr 6, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
Despite Virus, We May Soon See an NBA Face-Off
ESPN report says 'high-profile players' may soon take part in game of 'horse' from home gyms
- Who says athletes can't play basketball while self-isolating during the coronavirus pandemic? Although it's almost certain we're not going to be seeing NBA games for the rest of this season—or games out of most professional sports anytime soon, despite President Trump's Saturday conference call with...
ESPN Has Good News
for You, Sports Fans
Mar 31, 2020 6:38 PM CDT
ESPN Has Good News for You, Sports Fans
Michael Jordan documentary dropping a couple months early
- The documentary looking at Michael Jordan’s last championship season with the Chicago Bulls is set for release nearly two months sooner than expected with no sports to air due to the coronavirus pandemic. ESPN and Netflix announced on Tuesday that the 10-part documentary series called
The Last Dance
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Buttigieg, Harris, and the Elephant in the Room
13-Year-Old Killed Sister With Homemade Gun: Cops
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.