Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Quirky ESPN Ad
Campaign Is Back
Jan 3, 2023 12:20 PM CST
Quirky ESPN Ad Campaign Is Back
Syracuse's Otto the Orange joins US women's soccer stars for new 'This Is SportsCenter' ad
- ESPN's iconic advertising campaign is back, with the first installment of "This Is SportsCenter" in three years. The comical, off-kilter ads routinely feature athletes and mascots in promotion of ESPN's flagship sports news program. This one is no different. The 15-second " Orange Slices " shows US...
Longtime ESPN Journalist
Comes Out as Transgender
Aug 11, 2022 4:55 AM CDT
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
MA Voepel says his dedication to covering women's sports is unchanged
- ESPN journalist MA Voepel, described by the network as "the foremost authority on women's basketball in both the collegiate and professional ranks," has come out as transgender. "In sports media, we're lucky to tell stories of others’ journeys," Voepel tweeted . "We have our...
Apr 28, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Anchor Sues ESPN, Arguing Retaliation Over Comments
Sage Steele says podcast remarks about Obama, vaccine mandates were made as a private citizen
- An ESPN anchor has sued the network, saying it retaliated against her over remarks she made as a guest on an unrelated podcast last fall. The filing by Sage Steele says the company's actions were in breach of her contract and a violation of her right to free speech,...
'One of Most
Be at NFL Draft
Apr 19, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
'One of Most Recognizable Figures' Won't Be at NFL Draft
Mel Kiper Jr. is not vaccinated against COVID-19
calls Mel Kiper Jr. "one of the most recognizable figures in NFL draft media"—but the ESPN NFL draft analyst won't be attending this year, because he's not vaccinated against COVID-19. "I completely support everyone determining what's best for their individual...
Joe Buck Jumps Networks
Mar 13, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Joe Buck Jumps Networks
Play-by-play announcer goes to ESPN after being with Fox since the beginning
- Joe Buck, who's called games for Fox Sports since its launch in 1994, has a new network. The announcer will handle play-by-play for ESPN's
Monday Night Football
broadcasts, the network's only NFL game,
reports. The move will keep intact the Buck-Troy Aikman team, Fox's...
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney
Channels Back on YouTube TV
Dec 20, 2021 1:40 AM CST
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney Channels Back on YouTube TV
The 2 companies have reached a deal
Disney content is back on YouTube TV after the video streaming company reached a deal with Disney on Sunday to restore access to its channels,
reports. The price of Disney content now reverts to $64.99 a month, but impacted members will get a single $15 discount....
Oct 11, 2021 12:42 AM CDT
Jon Gruden Addresses Racist Remark
Says he's apologized to DeMaurice Smith over 2011 comment
- Jon Gruden again said he is not a racist after his Las Vegas Raiders lost their first game since the revelation of the head coach's 2011 racial remark about players’ union leader DeMaurice Smith. Gruden apologized for his “insensitive remarks” when asked about the decade-old emails following the...
Sage Steele Is Off the Air
After Controversial Remarks
Oct 5, 2021 6:01 PM CDT
Sage Steele Is Off the Air After Controversial Remarks
Insiders say anchor, ESPN agreed it was time for a break
: ESPN anchor Sage Steele will be off the air for at least a few days following controversial remarks she made on a podcast. On Jay Cutler's podcast, the
co-host described the network's vaccine mandate as "sick" and questioned why Barack Obama identifies as Black, "...
Chant at Ashton
Sep 12, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Football Fans Direct Unusual Chant at Ashton Kutcher
'Take a shower!' crowd at U of Iowa-Iowa State game yelled at 'Punk'd' star during ESPN appearance
- Iowa State played the University of Iowa on Saturday, and one of the latter's most famous students showed up in Ames to weigh in on ESPN's
. But when Ashton Kutcher started making his picks, the crowd's reaction wasn't a typical one, though it didn'...
ESPN Reporter Steps Down
Over Vaccine Mandate
Sep 10, 2021 4:35 AM CDT
ESPN Reporter Steps Down Over Vaccine Mandate
Allison Williams says getting COVID vaccine is 'not in her best interest'
- Veteran ESPN reporter Allison Williams says her "heart hurts" at not being on the sidelines for college football for the first time in 15 years—but she has decided to step aside instead of complying with a COVID vaccine mandate. Williams tweeted Wednesday that while her work is extremely...
Mysterious 'High School' Team
Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Aug 31, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Mysterious 'High School' Team Made It Onto ESPN, Bombed
Bishop Sycamore might not be legit
- A national ESPN broadcast featured a game between one of the best high school football teams in the country and a team no one had heard of until Sunday's matchup. Bishop Sycamore—which claims to be an online prep school based in Columbus, Ohio—has yet to record a...
ESPN Has Canceled
Rachel Nichols' Show
Aug 26, 2021 1:50 AM CDT
ESPN Has Canceled Rachel Nichols' Show
Following controversial remarks on Maria Taylor
- Less than two months after her comments about a Black colleague at ESPN made headlines , Rachel Nichols' show at the sports network is no more. ESPN announced Wednesday that
will be canceled and Nichols will be taken off NBA coverage, the AP reports. Nichols had complained last year...
Jul 21, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
Taylor Leaves ESPN After Comments By Nichols
Colleague had suggested promotion was course correction on diversity
- Maria Taylor is leaving ESPN after the two sides were unable to reach an agreement on a contract extension. Taylor had been with ESPN since 2014, but her contract expired Tuesday. Her last assignment for the network was Tuesday night at the NBA Finals, where she was the pregame and...
Stephen A. Smith
Jul 13, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Stephen A. Smith Sorry About Shohei Ohtani Comments
ESPN personality disparaged baseball player's use of interpreters
- ESPN's Stephen A. Smith is in hot water after comments he made about Major League Baseball star Shohei Ohtani. On the network's
on Monday morning, Smith was asked whether it's a positive thing for the MLB that Ohtani, who is being widely compared to Babe...
Won't Work the
Jul 6, 2021 4:01 PM CDT
Rachel Nichols Won't Work the NBA Finals for ESPN
Reporter's apology apparently doesn't cut it
- ESPN has pulled reporter Rachel Nichols off the court for the NBA Finals after comments she made about a colleague and the network caused an uproar—despite her apology. Nichols had been scheduled to be the main sideline reporter for the Finals, which begin Tuesday, per the Hill . "We...
Jul 6, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Rachel Nichols Issues an Apology
ESPN reporter is sorry for what she said about Maria Taylor
- Rachel Nichols is sorry for implying Maria Taylor was offered a hosting gig at ESPN simply because she's Black. The controversy erupted after Nichols' comments from last year were reported in the
New York Times
this weekend; at the start of Monday's episode of
, which Nichols...
at Promotion of
Jul 4, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Reporter's Dig at Promotion of Black Colleague Pressures ESPN
Rachel Nichols complained about hosting job going to Maria Taylor
- Internal tension that has been building for a year at ESPN over its handling of racial diversity issues is about to peak, as the network has to make a decision about a star reporter's contract. The issue that started it was whether Maria Taylor, who is Black, or Rachel...
After Racy Video,
Paul Pierce Is Out at ESPN
Apr 6, 2021 1:20 AM CDT
After Racy Video, Paul Pierce Is Out at ESPN
Instagram Live showed him surrounded by exotic dancers
- Paul Pierce will no longer work as an NBA analyst for ESPN after a raunchy Instagram Live he posted over the weekend, sources say. The former Boston Celtics star was shown smoking, drinking, and playing poker in a room where exotic dancers were twerking, Front Office Sports ,
USA Today ,
Pedro Gomez Was 'More
Than a Media Personality'
Feb 8, 2021 4:08 PM CST
Pedro Gomez Was 'More Than a Media Personality'
Baseball mourns longtime reporter
- Pedro Gomez, an ESPN reporter who covered 25 World Series and 22 All-Star Games, has died. He was 58. The network said his death was unexpected, CNN reports. "Pedro was an elite journalist at the highest level and his professional accomplishments are universally recognized," ESPN said. "More...
Nov 5, 2020 4:24 PM CST
ESPN Announces Big Layoffs
300 to lose jobs as network hasn't recovered from 4 months without games
- When the pandemic hit, ESPN was left with hardly any games to show for four months. Sports is back, but ratings and advertising still lag. Now the other shoe has dropped for employees of the cable network. The company is laying off 300 people and not filling another 200 jobs,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.