Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Slow Race Is a
Aug 3, 2023 2:40 AM CDT
Runner's Extremely Slow Race Is a Head-Scratcher
Somalia's sports minister apologized after strange incident
- Somalia's sports minister publicly apologized Wednesday and ordered that the chairwoman of the national track and field federation be suspended after a seemingly untrained female sprinter represented the African country at the World University Games in China and took more than 20 seconds to finish a 100-meter race, the...
Somalia Asks for Doctors
Oct 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Somalia Asks for Doctors After Bombings
At least 100 were killed, president says, in extremist group's attack
- Somalia’s president says that at least 100 people were killed in two car bombings Saturday at a busy junction in the capital in the country's deadliest attack since a truck bombing at the same spot five years ago killed more than 500. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, at the...
It's Probably Too Late to
Avoid Famine in Somalia
Oct 18, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
It's Probably Too Late to Avoid Famine in Somalia
'We are facing the death of children on a scale not seen in half a century,' says UNICEF
- The last time famine was declared in Somalia, 260,000 people died—half of them children—and “the world vowed never to let it happen again,” according to CBS News. That was in 2011, but it is happening again, and this time it could be much worse, according...
Brazen Hotel Attack May
Signal Dangerous New Phase
Aug 21, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
Brazen Hotel Attack May Signal Dangerous New Phase
Al-Shabab stormed Hayat Hotel in Mogadishu after new president warns of crackdown
- Somali authorities on Sunday ended a deadly attack in which 21 people were killed and dozens more wounded when gunmen stormed a hotel in the capital, per the AP . It took Somali forces more than 30 hours to contain the fighters who had stormed Mogadishu's Hayat Hotel on Friday...
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Aug 20, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Militant Attack on Hotel Kills 20
Troops fight al-Shabab militants in Mogadishu gunbattle
- Islamic militants have stormed a hotel in Somalia's capital, engaging in an hours-long exchange of fire with the security forces that left at least 20 people dead, according to police and witnesses. In addition, at least 40 people were wounded in the late Friday night attack, and security forces...
Biden Is Redeploying
Troops to Somalia
May 16, 2022 2:29 PM CDT
Biden Is Redeploying Troops to Somalia
Move to station forces in country reverses Trump order
- President Biden signed an order Monday to redeploy hundreds of US troops to Somalia to counter the Islamic extremist rebel group al-Shabab, an effort that American military leaders said had been hampered by Donald Trump's late-term decision to withdraw forces from the country. US troops will be repositioned from...
UN Warns 350K Children
Could Die in Drought by June
Apr 13, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
UN Warns 350K Children Could Die in Drought by June
In Somalia, some 1.4M under age 5 are malnourished
- "The situation cannot be more dire," said Adam Abdelmoula , a UN humanitarian official. Unless something is done quickly about the drought in Somalia, Adam Abdelmoula said, "350,000 of the 1.4 million severely malnourished children in the country will perish." The drought is Somalia's...
At Least 20 Dead After Car
Bombing in Somali Capital
Mar 6, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Least 20 Dead After Car Bombing in Somali Capital
Vehicle with explosives crashed into popular restaurant in Mogadishu, Somalia
- The death toll has risen to at least 20 after a vehicle packed with explosives rammed into a popular restaurant in Somalia's capital on Friday night, with 30 wounded. The Somali National News Agency cited the Aamin ambulance service for the death toll. The Luul Yamani restaurant also was...
In This Nation, Few
Take COVID Seriously
Jan 3, 2021 10:40 AM CST
In This Nation, Few Take COVID Seriously
Mitigation efforts are missing in Somalia, which will be among the last to receive vaccines
- As richer countries race to distribute COVID-19 vaccines, Somalia remains the rare place where much of the population hasn't taken the coronavirus seriously. Some fear that's proven to be deadlier than anyone knows. "Certainly our people don’t use any form of protective measures, neither masks nor...
Trump: Pull US Troops Out
of This Nation by January
Dec 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump: Pull US Troops Out of This Nation by January
Somalia joins Afghanistan and Iraq in Trump's end-of-term troop drawdowns
- Last month, US officials announced President Trump would be pulling a significant number of US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq by January. Now, another country joins the list, in a different part of the world. The Pentagon said Friday that nearly all of the 700 American troops in Somalia...
NATO Chief Responds
to Trump's Troop Cuts
Nov 17, 2020 4:41 PM CST
NATO Chief Responds to Trump's Troop Cuts
ISIS could take advantage of the vacuum in Afghanistan, secretary-general says
- President Trump's plan to reduce US forces in Afghanistan and Iraq in the next two months drew a warning Tuesday from NATO. "The price for leaving too soon or in an uncoordinated way could be very high," said Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, per the BBC . He said Afghanistan...
Outrage in Somalia Over
Possible Child Marriage Move
Aug 12, 2020 11:01 AM CDT
Outrage in Somalia Over Possible Child Marriage Move
Parliament considering a bill that would allow it
- An outcry is rising in Somalia as parliament considers a bill that would allow child marriage once a girl’s sexual organs mature and would allow forced marriage as long as the family gives their consent. Somalia in 2013 agreed with the UN to improve its sexual violence laws, and...
UN Pleads for Help Amid
'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Jan 24, 2020 12:15 PM CST
UN Pleads for Help Amid 'Devastating' Locust Invasion
Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya all overtaken; UN says locust numbers could grow 500 times by June
- Last month, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization reported on the plague of locusts that had overtaken Somalia and Ethiopia, and now a new East African nation is being beleaguered by the bugs. The FAO says Kenya is also dealing with an "unprecedented" and "devastating" number of...
3 More Americans
Killed in Base Attack
Jan 5, 2020 4:01 PM CST
3 More Americans Killed in Base Attack
Al-Shabab strikes again, this time at Camp Simba in Manda Bay, Kenya
- With Iran on everyone's mind, Americans killed in Africa don't get much attention—but three were indeed killed Sunday at a military base in Kenya, NBC News reports. According to US Africa Command, al-Shabab forces attacked a base used by US troops before dawn, killing a US service...
Horrific Truck Bomb Kills 78
Dec 28, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Horrific Truck Bomb Kills 78
At least 125 are wounded in Mogadishu
- A truck bomb exploded at a busy security checkpoint in Somalia's capital Saturday morning, killing at least 78 people including many students, authorities said. It was the worst attack in Mogadishu in more than two years, and witnesses said the force of the blast reminded them of the city'...
Upon 2 Nations
Dec 19, 2019 1:12 PM CST
Locust Plague Swoops Down Upon 2 Nations
Somalia, Ethiopia seeing worst invasion of desert locusts in 25 years: UN food agency
- Crops on nearly 173,000 acres of land have been destroyed in Somalia and parts of eastern Ethiopia in what the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization is deeming the region's worst desert locust invasion in a quarter century. The FAO notes the insect plague is imperiling farmers' livelihoods...
Rand Paul Floats Controversial
Idea for Ilhan Omar
Jul 29, 2019 11:51 AM CDT
Rand Paul Floats Controversial Idea for Ilhan Omar
Says he'll help buy a plane ticket for her to visit Somalia so she can better appreciate US
- Rand Paul has been staunchly on the side of President Trump during Trump's public feud with Rep. Ilhan Omar and others progressive members of "the Squad." Now, the Kentucky senator has ramped up his defense with a provocative statement about the Somalia-born Omar, reports the
Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Jul 13, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
Shocking Hotel Attack Leaves 26 Dead
Including 2 Americans and a prominent journalist
- Islamic extremists blew up the gate of a Somali hotel with a car bomb and took over the building for more than 14 hours, leaving 26 people dead before Somali forces who besieged the hotel overnight killed the attackers, the AP reports. The victims included a prominent Canadian-Somali journalist. Three...
Glaring Error on Africa Map
Called 'Act of Aggression'
May 27, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Glaring Error on Africa Map Called 'Act of Aggression'
No, Ethiopia has not annexed Somalia
- Typically it's New Zealand that gets left off maps . But this time, Somalia is getting a taste of the affront via a map published by its neighbor and longtime rival, Ethiopia. The map, removed Sunday from the website for Ethiopia's foreign ministry, showed Somalian territory included within Ethiopia'...
Uber Driver Ordered to
Pay $500K to Torture Victim
May 22, 2019 3:59 AM CDT
Uber Driver Ordered to Pay $500K to Torture Victim
Yusuf Abdi Ali was commander in Somali military
- Uber and Lyft say they have permanently removed accused war criminal Yusuf Abdi Ali from their apps. The Somali ex-colonel, who drove for the rideshare apps in northern Virginia, was ordered to pay torture victim Farhan Tani Warfaa $500,000 by a jury in the state Tuesday, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.