Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Wedding May Save a
Family. But the Bride Is 8
Jul 6, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
The Wedding May Save a Family. But the Bride Is 8
Experts warn of child marriage, for some an alternative to starvation, amid catastrophe
- Nyekuoth Manyuan dreamed of becoming a doctor. Instead, at 14, she was taken from her village of Kueryiek in South Sudan and wed to a 25-year-old man in exchange for 60 cattle. "I know I'm young," Nyekuoth told CBS News foreign correspondent Debora Patta. "But the...
Ongoing Issue Leads
Pope to Nix Africa Trip
Jun 10, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Ongoing Issue Leads Pope to Nix Africa Trip
Vatican said it was canceled on doctors' orders
- Pope Francis canceled a planned July trip to Africa on doctors' orders because of ongoing knee problems, the Vatican said Friday, dashing hopes of the faithful there and raising further questions about the health and mobility problems of the 85-year-old pontiff. The Vatican said the July 2-7 trip to Congo...
Investigated in South Sudan
Dec 23, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Unidentified Illness Investigated in South Sudan
Nearly 100 people have died
- The World Health Organization is keeping an eye on a still-unidentified illness that has killed nearly 100 people in South Sudan in recent weeks, reports ABC News . So far, the elderly and children have accounted for most of the deaths in Jonglei State, after symptoms that included cough, diarrhea, fever,...
Huge Dowry, Huge Uproar
for Underage Bride
Nov 21, 2018 11:31 AM CST
Huge Dowry, Huge Uproar for Underage Bride
Man in South Sudan hands over 500 cows, plus cash and car for 17-year-old
- Five hundred cows, two luxury cars, $10,000, two bikes, a boat, and a few cell phones made up the final price in a heated bidding war for a teenage bride in South Sudan that went viral after the auction was pointed out on Facebook. The government says it's...
What's Happening in
South Sudan Is Horrifying
Jun 6, 2018 12:41 PM CDT
What's Happening in South Sudan Is Horrifying
The AP reports on 14 unreleased reports on atrocities there
- The accounts are horrific. A young girl strangled and gang-raped. Children burned alive as government soldiers blocked the door of their hut and set it aflame. These are some of the atrocities revealed in 14 reports, seen by the AP , that have not yet been released by the independent body...
'Clothes of Dead
White People' Anymore
Oct 14, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
East Africa Doesn't Want 'Clothes of Dead White People' Anymore
And the US isn't happy about it
- Seventy percent of donated second-hand clothing ends up in Africa, and a number of African nations are tired of it, the
New York Times
reports. Last year, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan, Burundi, and Kenya raised import tariffs on what Kenyans call the "clothes of dead white people" so...
US Journalist Dead
in South Sudan
Aug 27, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
US Journalist Dead in South Sudan
Freelancer Christopher Allen is killed in fighting
- A brutal civil war in the world's youngest country has claimed the life of an American journalist. Freelancer Christopher Allen, who had been embedded with rebel troops, was killed during a battle with government soldiers in the South Sudan town of Kaya, reports Reuters . The State Department has confirmed...
The World Now Has
a Record Number of Refugees
Jun 19, 2017 2:13 PM CDT
The World Now Has a Record Number of Refugees
Figure is 22.5M; in all, 65M are living displaced from their homes
- The world broke a grim record last year, with 65.6 million people living forcibly displaced from their homes, an increase of 300,000 over 2015. Most of those people—40.3 million—were displaced but still living within their own countries, per a new report by the UN refugee...
Vaccine Workers' Mistakes
Kill 15 Kids in South Sudan
Jun 2, 2017 10:54 AM CDT
Vaccine Workers' Mistakes Kill 15 Kids in South Sudan
Measles campaign didn't follow hygiene protocol
- Health workers vaccinating children in South Sudan against measles last month used the same syringe for all the children without sterilizing it and did not properly refrigerate the vaccine during storage, leading to the deaths of at least 15 children. Of the 300 or so children vaccinated between May 2-5...
UN Report Describes the
Hell That Is South Sudan
Mar 7, 2017 1:58 PM CST
UN Report Describes the Hell That Is South Sudan
Country wracked by civil war, ethnic cleansing, mass rape, and famine
- A new United Nations report paints a bleak picture of South Sudan as teetering on the edge of genocide and experiencing ethnic cleansing, adding to crises that now include famine and systematic rape in the three-year-old civil war. The seven-month inquiry by the UN Commission on Human Rights into South...
Nearly 1.4M Children
Face 'Imminent Death': UN
Feb 21, 2017 3:26 PM CST
Nearly 1.4M Children Face 'Imminent Death': UN
Famine in South Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia, Yemen endangers children
- The UN children's agency is warning that almost 1.4 million children are at "imminent risk of death" as famine threatens parts of South Sudan, Nigeria, Somalia, and Yemen, the AP reports. The UNICEF announcement comes a day after famine was declared in parts of Unity state in...
From 3.5M Cases
to Just 25: a
Jan 12, 2017 11:33 AM CST
From 3.5M Cases to Just 25: a Disease Nearly Vanquished
Jimmy Carter's efforts to fight Guinea worm disease have left just 3 countries affected
- Jimmy Carter, who's been working for decades to eradicate Guinea worm disease, says only 25 human cases of the illness were reported worldwide in 2016. When the Carter Center joined the battle to eliminate Guinea worm disease in the mid-1980s, there were about 3.5 million cases in 21...
Report: UN Peacekeepers Did
Nothing as Women Were Raped
Aug 17, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
Report: UN Peacekeepers Did Nothing as Women Were Raped
The AP reported on the July 11 incident in Juba, South Sudan
- United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon is launching an independent investigation into allegations that UN peacekeepers did not respond to prevent multiple cases of abuse and sexual violence against civilians and foreigners in South Sudan's capital, reports the AP . The AP this week reported that on July 11, South Sudanese...
3 Rare Giraffes
Aug 13, 2016 2:09 PM CDT
3 Rare Giraffes Killed Over Their Tails
'What an absolute waste'
- Garamba National Park in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is home to elephants, rhinos, and giraffes—well, it used to be. Because of poaching, elephant numbers are dwindling, the rhinos are all gone, and the rare Kordofan giraffes may be headed that way. Just 2,000 of the giraffes...
Why US Troops
Were Just Sent
to the World's
Jul 13, 2016 11:25 AM CDT
Why US Troops Were Just Sent to the World's Newest Nation
South Sudan may be headed to civil war
- It's a mere five years old , but South Sudan is on the brink of civil war. What's more, the situation is so dire that the US just brought in 40 additional troops to protect the US Embassy in Juba. Some coverage to explain what's happening:
More Than 100 Killed
as Shooting Erupts
Outside Peace Talks
Jul 9, 2016 7:42 AM CDT
More Than 100 Killed as Shooting Erupts Outside Peace Talks
South Sudan fears return of civil war
- Soldiers brought scores of bodies to a hospital in South Sudan's capital after gunfire erupted throughout Juba on Friday evening, a doctor at the hospital said Saturday, as panicked residents worried of a return to civil war. The morgue is full at Juba Teaching Hospital, the doctor said, but...
Disease Is Emerging
Jun 1, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
New Ebola-Like Disease Is Emerging
WHO tracks mysterious South Sudan fever
- South Sudan, the world's newest country and one of its most troubled, may be home to the world's newest disease. The World Health Organization says it is closely tracking an outbreak of a mysterious hemorrhagic fever that has killed at least 10 people in the country this year...
UN Report Details
South Sudan's Use of Rape
as 'Instrument of Terror'
Mar 11, 2016 2:00 PM CST
UN Report Details South Sudan's Use of Rape as 'Instrument of Terror'
'One of the most horrendous human rights situations in the world'
- A UN report describing sweeping crimes like children and the disabled being burned alive and fighters being allowed to rape women as payment shows South Sudan is facing "one of the most horrendous human rights situations in the world," the UN human rights chief said Friday. Zeid Raad...
Oil Truck Blast:
Sep 17, 2015 9:51 AM CDT
Lit Cigarette Causes Deadly Oil Truck Blast: Officials
More than 100 may have been killed as they siphoned fuel from South Sudan tanker
- Local officials say hospitals in the Western Equatoria of South Sudan are struggling to deal with the dead and wounded after an oil truck exploded yesterday, killing between 85 and 100 people so far and injuring at least 50, the AP and Reuters report. Why there were so many people...
Obama Makes History
With Ethiopia Visit
Jul 27, 2015 1:44 AM CDT
Obama Makes History With Ethiopia Visit
But critics say he's 'rewarding' repressive regime
- President Obama became the first sitting US president to visit Ethiopia when he arrived there last night after a stop in Kenya , his father's homeland. He huddled with the country's leaders today for talks on counterterrorism, human rights, and regional security issues, including the crisis in neighboring South...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.