Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police Blare Disney Tunes,
and Neighbors Are Ticked
Apr 12, 2022 1:43 PM CDT
Police Blare Disney Tunes, and Neighbors Are Ticked
Officers blared them at night on a city street in Santa Ana to try to discourage filming
- Santa Ana city councilman Johnathan Hernandez was at home around 11pm on a recent Monday when he heard the song “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” blaring through his residential neighborhood. That was followed by “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” and “Reflection.” One thing...
Man Sues for $93M
Mar 19, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Wrongfully Imprisoned Man Sues for $93M
Lamonte McIntyre, whose mother says detective coerced her into sex, served 23 years
- A Kansas man who served 23 years in prison for a double murder he did not commit is seeking $93 million in damages from the county where he was convicted and a former detective he says framed him. Lamonte McIntyre, 45, and his mother allege in a lawsuit filed in...
LAPD Over Gunpoint Stop
Mar 18, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Driver Sues LAPD Over Gunpoint Stop
Ernest Simon Jr. alleges 'racial animus,' seeks $20M
- A driver on the set of
was held at gunpoint for 20 minutes by Los Angeles police officers in a racially motivated incident exactly one year ago, according to a federal lawsuit demanding $20 million in damages and a jury trial. Disney employee Ernest Simon Jr. feared...
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops
Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Jan 26, 2022 4:08 PM CST
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Shane Lee Brown says he spent 6 days in jail after being mistaken as a wanted felon
- A young Black man is suing two police departments in Nevada after he says he spent six days in jail—simply for having nearly the same name as a wanted felon, who is white and twice his age. Shane Lee Brown, a 25-year-old with dark hair, says police were actually...
Jan 13, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Report: Petito Likely 'Long- Term' Domestic Violence Victim
'Mistakes' were made in Aug. 12 police stop, independent report adds
- An investigation has found that Utah police made "several unintentional mistakes" when they stopped Gabby Petito and her boyfriend before she was killed, per the AP . The independent report released Wednesday examines a police stop in Moab on Aug. 12 after the couple's van was seen speeding and...
Robbery in Progress, Cops
Opted to Play Pokemon Go
Jan 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Robbery in Progress, Cops Opted to Play Pokemon Go
Fired LAPD officers, caught playing on dashcam instead of responding to a call, lose appeal
- A California judge has refused to reinstate two former Los Angeles police officers who chose to play Pokemon Go rather than respond to a robbery in progress. The officers, Louis Lozano and Eric Mitchell, had ignored a commanding officer's request for backup during a robbery at the Crenshaw Mall...
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over
Incident at Michigan Home
Oct 10, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Black Buyer, Realtor Sue Over Incident at Michigan Home
Police say a White neighbor called to report a break-in
A Black real estate agent and the clients he was showing a Wyoming, Michigan, home to have filed a federal lawsuit against the city after being held at gunpoint, detained, and handcuffed during the August showing. Police were called by a neighbor who suspected a Black squatter who had...
Detectives Charged With Perjury
In Wrongful Conviction Case
Aug 14, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Detectives Charged With Perjury In Wrongful Conviction Case
Three homicide detectives are accused of coercing a confession and lying about it in court
- A man who spent 25 years in prison after being wrongfully convicted of murder was set free after his second trial in 2016 cleared him. Now, a grand jury has indicted the three Philadelphia police officers who put him away in the first place and tried to keep him in...
Married Seattle Cops Who
Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Aug 7, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
Married Seattle Cops Who Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Alexander and Caitlin Everett, who are married, said they didn't know there was an attack
- Two Seattle police officers, a married couple, have been fired for their presence at the US Capitol riot on Jan. 6. Alexander and Caitlin Everett say they were only attending a political event. But photos and video shot that day show them standing in a restricted area, in full view...
5 Miami Beach Cops Charged
After 'Unspeakable' Actions
Aug 3, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
5 Miami Beach Cops Charged After 'Unspeakable' Actions
Footage shows officers kicking suspect and tackling, punching a bystander
- Five police officers have been charged with battery after two Black men were violently arrested at a hotel in South Beach in Miami Beach. The arrests last week were captured on surveillance video recorded by the Royal Palm Hotel , the AP reports. The footage picks up Delonta Crudup running into...
Video Shows Cop Tasering
75-Year-Old Without Warning
Jul 23, 2021 12:56 PM CDT
Video Shows Cop Tasering 75-Year-Old Without Warning
Cop later fired, charged with assault in Colorado
- A grandfather is in the hospital and a former police officer is facing charges. Nicholas Hanning, until recently part of the Idaho Springs, Colorado, police department, said he jolted Michael Clark, 75, with a Taser when Clark refused to put down a weapon, the
reports. But newly released...
Entire Portland Police Team
Resigns After Officer Indicted
Jun 19, 2021 10:56 AM CDT
Entire Portland Police Team Resigns After Officer Indicted
The group of about 50 will keep their jobs but not work protests anymore
- About 50 officers in the Portland, Oregon, police force have quit the crowd-control squad tasked with handling protests. The officers aren’t quitting their jobs—they’re just leaving the Rapid Response Team, an extra duty they volunteer for on top of their regular duties, per the AP . The team...
Boardwalk Clashes Revive
Calls for Police Legislation
Jun 15, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Boardwalk Clashes Revive Calls for Police Legislation
Maryland officers used Taser on teen stopped for vaping
- Multiple new instances in one city on the same night of police using force against young Black men have renewed pressure on Maryland's legislature to act. Lawmakers already approved police legislation in April, but it will be more than a year before parts of it take effect,
Army Officer Says Cops
Threatened His Career
Apr 11, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Army Officer Says Cops Threatened His Career
Caron Nazario alleges misconduct
- A second lieutenant in the US Army is suing after a December traffic stop in which he alleges he was held at gunpoint, pepper-sprayed, and knocked to the ground by Virginia police officers who suggested he'd be executed before threatening his military career. Per
, Caron Nazario is...
Police Bill of Rights
Apr 10, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Maryland Repeals Police Bill of Rights
Lawmakers override governor's vetoes of police accountability legislation
- Maryland became the first state to throw out its Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights when lawmakers overrode the governor's vetoes of police accountability legislation on Saturday. Among other changes, the laws will allow citizens to participate in the disciplinary process involving police, the
reports. Gov. Larry...
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
Feb 15, 2021 7:15 PM CST
Wyoming Sheriff Breaks Ground
The state's first Black sheriff wants to focus on peace
- As a student at the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy, Aaron Appelhans used to look at the photos of past graduating classes hanging on the wall. "I got to see, for the most part, ain't a whole lot of people that looked like me around here," he recalled...
It's the Police Raid Chicago
Didn't Want You to See
Dec 16, 2020 10:10 AM CST
It's the Police Raid Chicago Didn't Want You to See
Anjanette Young says there's been no accountability since 2019 raid on wrong home
- Anjanette Young was undressing for bed when almost a dozen armed officers broke down the door of her Chicago townhouse, announcing a search warrant, on Feb. 21, 2019. "Oh, my God. This cannot be right," she told the officers, per the
. "You got the wrong...
Dec 10, 2020 5:45 PM CST
Biden Blames Party Losses on 'Defund the Police'
President-elect tells civil rights leaders that cost Democrats elections
- In suggesting civil rights leaders choose their words carefully when debating criminal justice changes with Republicans, President-elect Joe Biden had an example of the risk. "That's how they beat the living hell out of us across the country, saying that we're talking about defunding the police,"...
For 20 Minutes, Her Pleas of
'I Can't Breathe' Were Ignored
Oct 1, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
For 20 Minutes, Her Pleas of 'I Can't Breathe' Were Ignored
Ex-Colorado cop appealing his firing over 2019 incident
- A Colorado police officer ignored a Black woman's cries of "I can't breathe" while she lay hogtied in the back of a patrol car, her face on the floor. That's according to bodycam footage revealed Tuesday during an appeal hearing for now former Aurora police officer...
New York Draws Matrix
for Police Punishments
Aug 31, 2020 7:40 PM CDT
New York Draws Matrix for Police Punishments
Goals are consistency and fairness, officials say
- A New York City police officer who refuses to call for medical help for an injured person should be docked 20 vacation or suspension days. Intentionally making a false statement would be a firing offense, as would not intervening when another officer kills someone by wrongly using deadly force. All...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.