Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Blocks Trump on
Jun 15, 2020 6:55 PM CDT
High Court Blocks Trump on Sanctuary Law
Justices won't take case, leaving California policy in place
- The Supreme Court has voted not to take up President Trump's attempt to void California's sanctuary law, a decisive victory for the state in its struggle with the administration over immigration law enforcement. With exceptions involving warrents or suspects in serious crimes, California law enforcement officials don't...
Chicago Has 'Great Victory'
in Fight Over Sanctuary Cities
Apr 30, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
Chicago Has 'Great Victory' in Fight Over Sanctuary Cities
Appeals court says Trump policy should be frozen nationwide
- A sharply worded ruling by a federal appeals court in Chicago on Thursday said the Trump administration policy of threatening to withhold grant money from so-called sanctuary cities to force them to comply with its immigration policies violates separation-of-powers provisions enshrined in the Constitution. The 7th US Circuit Court of...
After Big Dem Wins, State's
Gun Advocates Seek 'Sanctuary'
Dec 4, 2019 7:52 AM CST
After Big Dem Wins, State's Gun Advocates Seek 'Sanctuary'
Virginia's Roanoke County just declared itself '2nd Amendment Sanctuary'; Roanoke the city declined
- Officials of a Virginia city have rebuffed pleas by gun advocates asking it to declare the city a so-called "Second Amendment Sanctuary." Roanoke Mayor Sherman Lea on Monday announced at a packed City Council meeting that he sees no benefit in validating what the US Constitution already guarantees,...
Liberal Arizona City
Rejects Sanctuary City Plan
Nov 6, 2019 7:15 AM CST
Liberal Arizona City Rejects Sanctuary City Plan
Democratic Tucson mayor was against it
- After Arizona passed a law that required local police to check the immigration status of people suspected to be in the country illegally, the state's second-largest city wanted to send a message. The Democrats who control Tucson designated their town an "immigrant welcoming city" in 2012, and the...
Trump Contradicts Aides, Says
Sanctuary Cities Plan Is in Play
Apr 12, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Trump Contradicts Aides, Says Sanctuary Cities Plan Is in Play
Immigrant detainees would be released in Democrats' districts
- A day after White House and Homeland Security officials said it wouldn't happen, President Trump confirmed that he's thinking about releasing immigrant detainees in sanctuary cities. "We are indeed, as reported, giving strong considerations to placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only," Trump tweeted Friday. At...
Report: White House
Wanted to Send Migrants
to 'Sanctuary Cities'
Apr 12, 2019 5:44 AM CDT
Report: White House Wanted to Send Migrants to 'Sanctuary Cities'
ICE told them the plan was unworkable
- The White House wanted to send a message to Democrats by sending buses of apprehended migrants to "sanctuary cities" that refuse to hand over undocumented immigrants for deportation, according to emails seen by the
. The move was apparently proposed at least twice in the last six months,...
Trump Slams 'Disgraceful'
Verdict in SF Pier Shooting
Dec 1, 2017 6:03 AM CST
Trump Slams 'Disgraceful' Verdict in SF Pier Shooting
Jury acquits Mexican man of murder, manslaughter in Kate Steinle case
- President Trump slammed the "disgraceful" verdict Thursday after a Mexican citizen was found not guilty of murder in the 2015 shooting death of Kate Steinle at a San Francisco pier. "No wonder the people of our Country are so angry with Illegal Immigration," Trump tweeted Thursday night,...
Trump Gets a Hard No on
Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
Nov 21, 2017 10:55 AM CST
Trump Gets a Hard No on Crackdown on Sanctuary Cities
After 2 Calif. counties sue, a federal judge permanently blocks executive order
- A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Trump's executive order to cut funding from so-called sanctuary cities that limit cooperation with US immigration authorities. US District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the order affects a relatively small pot of money, reports the AP...
Immigrant's 'Unusual' Reprieve
After 11 Months in Hiding
Oct 12, 2017 7:37 AM CDT
Immigrant's 'Unusual' Reprieve After 11 Months in Hiding
Javier Flores Garcia is going home to be with his family thanks to special deferred status and visa
- Since November, Javier Flores Garcia has been separated from his family and hunkered down in a Philly church to avoid deportation, serving as a handyman and praying. On Wednesday, per NBC Philadelphia , the undocumented immigrant finally left the Arch Street United Methodist Church where he'd found sanctuary not long...
Judge on Sanctuary Cities
Law: It Will 'Erode Public Trust'
Aug 31, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Judge on Sanctuary Cities Law: It Will 'Erode Public Trust'
And harm the state of Texas
- A federal judge late Wednesday temporarily blocked most of Texas' tough new "sanctuary cities" law that would have allowed police to inquire about people's immigration status during routine interactions such as traffic stops. The law, SB 4, had been cheered by President Trump's administration but decried by...
Sessions Slams 'Lawless'
Chicago Over Lawsuit
Aug 8, 2017 3:24 AM CDT
Sessions Slams 'Lawless' Chicago Over Lawsuit
'Comply with the law or forgo taxpayer dollars'
- The war of words between Chicago and the federal government over "sanctuary cities" policy is heating up. Attorney General Jeff Sessions slammed the city's leaders Monday over their lawsuit against the Trump administration , saying they "have demonstrated an open hostility to enforcing laws designed to protect law...
Chicago Sues Over Trump's
'Unlawful Misguided Action'
Aug 7, 2017 2:14 AM CDT
Chicago Sues Over Trump's 'Unlawful Misguided Action'
Lawsuit fights back against sanctuary city crackdown
- Chicago is fighting back against the Trump's administration's crackdown on "sanctuary cities." Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced Sunday that Chicago is suing the Justice Department over efforts to place new conditions on federal law enforcement grant money as a means to force local authorities to cooperate with...
New Texas Law Punishes
May 8, 2017 12:47 AM CDT
New Texas Law Punishes 'Sanctuary Cities'
Big-city police chiefs strongly opposed move
- "Sanctuary cities" will be banned and local officials who refuse to cooperate with federal immigration officials will be punished under a bill signed into law by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Sunday. The bill, passed by the state legislature last week, was signed in an event broadcast from the state...
Words Haunt Him
on Sanctuary Ruling
Apr 26, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
Trump's Own Words Haunt Him on Sanctuary Ruling
Judge cites his public comments in temporarily freezing order
- President Trump went after what appears to be his least favorite court in the nation Wednesday in the wake of a setback on his sanctuaries cities executive order. In a series of tweets , Trump complained about the Ninth Circuit federal court, which previously froze his travel ban. "Does everyone...
Apr 25, 2017 4:03 PM CDT
Judge Gives Sanctuary Cities Win Against Trump
Judge blocks order on sanctuary city funding
- A federal judge in San Francisco has blocked a Trump administration order to withhold funding from communities that limit cooperation with US immigration authorities, the AP reports. US District Judge William Orrick issued the temporary ruling Tuesday in a lawsuit over the executive order targeting so-called sanctuary cities. The decision...
Michigan's Capital Changes
Mind on 'Sanctuary City' Label
Apr 13, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
Michigan's Capital Changes Mind on 'Sanctuary City' Label
City council held emergency vote after complaints from business community
- Michigan's capital reversed a decision to call itself a "sanctuary city" that protects immigrants regardless of their legal status, bowing to pressure from a business community concerned that the term would draw unwanted attention to Lansing from President Trump's administration and cost the city federal funding, the...
Seattle Fights Trump
'Sanctuary Cities' Order
Mar 30, 2017 12:15 AM CDT
Seattle Fights Trump 'Sanctuary Cities' Order
The mayor accuses Trump of declaring 'war on cities'
- President Trump's crackdown on "sanctuary cities" is making cities less safe and Seattle is going to fight it, Mayor Ed Murray says. The city filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday over Trump's Jan. 25 executive order , which withholds federal grants from cities that fail to comply...
Issues Warning to
Mar 27, 2017 5:48 PM CDT
Jeff Sessions Issues Warning to Sanctuary Cities
They could lose federal money if they don't cooperate on immigration
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday warned so-called sanctuary cities they could lose federal money for refusing to cooperate with immigration authorities and suggested the government would come after grants that have already been awarded if they don't comply. Sessions said the Justice Department would require cities seeking some...
One Immigrant Sanctuary
Ends in Face of Trump Order
Jan 27, 2017 3:37 PM CST
One Immigrant Sanctuary Ends in Face of Trump Order
Miami-Dade's jails will hold undocumented immigrants for feds
- President Trump's threat to withhold federal money has worked on at least one "sanctuary" jurisdiction, the
reports. On Thursday, the mayor of Florida's Miami-Dade County ended a 2013 policy that kept local jails from holding undocumented immigrants for federal immigration authorities. While Trump called the...
Gutted Arizona Immigration
Law Goes Into Effect
Jul 29, 2010 6:10 AM CDT
Gutted Arizona Immigration Law Goes Into Effect
Ruling blocking key parts of bill actually a victory, its author says
- Arizona's new immigration law goes into effect today, minus the key parts of it blocked by yesterday's federal ruling . Police won't be required to question suspects' immigration status and it's still not a crime to be found without immigration registration papers, but provisions making it a crime to pick up...
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.