Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trader Joe's Recalls
5 products in 4 weeks
Aug 23, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Recalls 5 products in 4 weeks
Throw packages away, company advises
- Trader Joe's has issued another recall of a product that might contain a foreign object—this time, metal. Multigrain Crackers with Sunflower and Flax Seeds joins four other recalls in the past four weeks, WGN reports. The packages affected carry "best if used by" stamped dates from 03/01/24...
Trader Joe's Cookie Recall:
Jul 25, 2023 12:04 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Cookie Recall: They're
Two products may contain rocks
- Trader Joe's is recalling two cookie products—because they may contain rocks. The recall impacts Trader Joe's Almond Windmill Cookies and Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Chunk and Almond Cookies with "sell by" dates ranging from October 17, 2023 to October 21, 2023. According to Trader Joe'...
You Can Nibble on Free
Samples at Trader Joe's Again
Oct 3, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
You Can Nibble on Free Samples at Trader Joe's Again
However, those little cups of coffee will not be available
- After a pandemic pause, Trader Joe’s announced that it will once again offer free, in-store food samples, per CNN Business. It came as welcome news to the grocery chain’s fans on social media, including TikTok, where one post with an inspiring soundtrack and a spoonful of free granola...
Two Buck Chuck Dies
Sep 14, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
Founder of Two Buck Chuck Dies
'At the end, we all have an expiration date,' said Fred Franzia, who died at 79
- The man who turned "Two Buck Chuck" into an American phenomenon is dead. Fred Franzia, co-founder of Bronco Wine Company, died early Tuesday at his home in California with family by his side, according to a letter sent to Bronco employees, per
. A cause of death wasn'...
Trader Joe's Name Was
Picked for a Specific Reason
May 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Name Was Picked for a Specific Reason
CNN digs into Joe Coulombe's brainchild
- Even Trader Joe's devotees might not know this part of the grocery store's origin: It was indeed started by a man named Joe. CNN reports that LA convenience store owner Joe Coulombe saw an opportunity to cater to travel-minded shoppers who had a taste for more sophisticated items...
Trader Joe's Quickly
Follows CDC's Lead
May 14, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Trader Joe's Quickly Follows CDC's Lead
Stores won't require masks for vaccinated shoppers, while other chains deliberate
- One day after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changed its guidance on wearing masks, Trader Joe's changed with it. The specialty grocer said Friday that shoppers who are fully vaccinated won't have to wear masks anymore in its stores,
reports. The chain, which won'...
Names After All
Aug 1, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
Trader Joe's: We're Keeping Ethnic Food Names After All
Chain seems to do 180 after teen's petition to change branding she said was offensive
- A California teen's petition to get Trader Joe's to change the branding on some of its international food items looked like it hit home with the grocery chain, but after hinting on a phaseout, management seems to be backtracking on that plan. Briones Bedell has noted some of...
Asked to Wear Masks, Guys
Instead Start Trader Joe's Brawl
Jul 29, 2020 7:50 AM CDT
Asked to Wear Masks, Guys Instead Start Trader Joe's Brawl
Numerous charges stem from July 14 assault at Manhattan store
- Eight employees of a Trader Joe's in New York City were reportedly injured in a confrontation with two men who refused to wear masks. Employees had asked the men to leave the Manhattan store on East 32nd Street around 8:50pm on July 14 as they weren't following...
Petition: Trader Joe's,
Remove 'Racist' Branding
Jul 18, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Petition: Trader Joe's, Remove 'Racist' Branding
A California high school senior is demanding change at the popular American chain
- An online petition is demanding that Trader Joe's remove "racist branding" from so-called ethnic foods like "Trader Ming's" and "Arabian Joe"—and even reconsider its store name,
reports. "The grocery chain labels some of its ethnic foods with modifications of '...
Dead at 89
Feb 29, 2020 6:30 AM CST
Trader Joe's Founder Dead at 89
Joe Coulombe, who started quirky grocery store chain, died after a long illness
- Joe Coulombe, the "Joe" behind the Trader Joe's name, died Friday at the age of 89 at his home in Pasadena, Calif. His son Joseph confirmed his death after a long illness to the
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
. Coulombe had been the owner of a...
Speed Is a
Perk at America's
Favorite Grocery Store
Jan 30, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Speed Is a Perk at America's Favorite Grocery Store
It also touts a 'rich private brand offering'
- "Your neighborhood grocery store" is also your favorite, according to dunnhumby's second annual Retailer Preference Index . Some 7,000 US households were surveyed on 56 of the largest grocery stores to find out which have the top mix of financial performance and consumer emotional attachment. Consumers—who reported...
2 Big Names Come Through
Sep 7, 2018 11:06 AM CDT
2 Big Names Come Through for 'Shamed'
Geoffrey Owens reportedly to act in 10 episodes of Tyler Perry show; Nicki Minaj wants to donate $25K
- The swelling tide of well wishes for the
actor who was job-shamed by multiple media outlets may have just turned into something more lucrative. Sources tell TMZ that Geoffrey Owens has accepted a job offer by filmmaker and producer Tyler Perry, who tweeted earlier this week that the...
LAPD Makes This Fatal Error
for First Time in 13 Years
Aug 1, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
LAPD Makes This Fatal Error for First Time in 13 Years
Officers fatally shot a woman who was being held by a man wielding a knife
- Dramatic video released Tuesday shows Los Angeles officers fatally shooting a man and the woman he was holding with a knife to her throat, the first of two recent killings of hostages or bystanders as police tried to stop attackers. Officers opened fire outside a church after the man began...
Before LA Standoff, a Feud
With Grandma Over Girlfriend
Jul 23, 2018 2:33 AM CDT
Before LA Standoff, a Feud With Grandma Over Girlfriend
Trader Joe's hostage situation stemmed from domestic situation: suspect's cousin
- A feud between a man and his grandmother over his girlfriend staying at the grandmother's home exploded into violence that ultimately led to him taking dozens of people hostage inside a Los Angeles supermarket, a relative said Sunday. Investigators believe Gene Evin Atkins, 28, shot his grandmother several times...
Suspect ID'd in Deadly
Trader Joe's Shootout
Jul 22, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Suspect ID'd in Deadly Trader Joe's Shootout
The incident left the store manager dead
- A 28-year-old man has been named by authorities in Los Angeles as the gunman in a shootout and kidnapping that ended with an hours-long grocery store stand-off and the death of an employee. Per the
, the LAPD named Gene Atkins as the suspect. Officer Drake Madison told the...
Woman Killed in
at Trader Joe's
Jul 22, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Woman Killed in Hostage Standoff at Trader Joe's
Man in custody after shooting grandmother, car chase, gun battle, taking hostages
- A California domestic dispute spiraled out of control Saturday, ending with the death of a complete stranger. Police say that an unidentified 28-year-old male got in a fight with his grandmother, shot her at least seven times, then forced another female into the grandmother's Toyota and fled, reports the...
Serial Robbers Might Be
Targeting Trader Joe's
Apr 24, 2018 12:40 PM CDT
Serial Robbers Might Be Targeting Trader Joe's
California police investigating several recent cases
- A series of armed robberies targeting Trader Joe's locations in Southern California has police suspecting serial assailants. At least seven armed robberies have occurred at Trader Joe's stores in the region in recent months, including four in Los Angeles, per the
Los Angeles Times
. Stores in Long Beach,...
Kale Came With
Apr 6, 2018 8:27 AM CDT
Trader Joe's Kale Came With Nasty Surprise
'Lizards are not the green I was looking for'
- "Lizards are not the green I was looking for," says a Trader Joe's shopper in Washington, DC, who got quite the shock Tuesday when she found a dead lizard inside her bag of pre-washed kale. "It was a back and forth between denial and horror,"...
Nationwide Veggie Recall
Now Includes Target, Walmart
Oct 24, 2017 4:24 AM CDT
Nationwide Veggie Recall Now Includes Target, Walmart
Listeria was detected in sample from Calif. supplier
- Salad mixes and other "minimally processed" vegetable products from a California supplier have been recalled at outlets across the US out of what Mann Packing says is an "abundance of caution." The supplier voluntarily recalled the products, which have "best if used by" dates of Oct....
That Trader Joe's Snack May Be
More Familiar Than You Think
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 13, 2017 5:15 PM CDT
That Trader Joe's Snack May Be More Familiar Than You Think
PepsiCo, Frito-Lay, or other big brand names might be behind your favorite TJ items
- If you've ever eaten a Trader Joe's product and thought, "Huh, this tastes almost exactly like the brand-name version of the same product," you're probably right. Brands—including, in some cases, major ones like PepsiCo—often supply their products to Trader Joe's, which then...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.