Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
North Korea sanctions
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Bid to Add
May 26, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Vetoes Block US Bid to Add Sanctions for North Korea
China, Russia oppose resolution, the first major UN Security Council split over the issue
- A US effort to impose new sanctions on North Korea over its series of intercontinental ballistic missile launches was blocked Thursday in the United Nations. China and Russia vetoed the resolution, making the Security Council vote 13-2. It was the first major split among the five nations with vetoes on...
in Crypto Expert's
North Korea Case
Apr 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Justice Served' in Crypto Expert's North Korea Case
Virgil Griffith gets 5 years behind bars after presenting at crypto conference in Pyongyang
It's more than five years behind bars for Virgil Griffith, the hacker accused of helping North Korea evade US sanctions with his cryptocurrency tips. NBC News reports the 39-year-old received a 63-month prison sentence on Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to conspiracy; he admitted to presenting at...
US Prepares for Test
of North Korean Missile
Mar 10, 2022 6:10 PM CST
US Prepares for Test of North Korean Missile
Next launch of ICBM could be to determine its range
- North Korea is in the middle of testing a new intercontinental ballistic missile, US officials said Thursday, prompting an increase in the readiness level for American missile defense forces in Asia. The tests are being conducted openly this time, officials said, allowing them to prepare for what they expect to...
UN: Cyberattacks Fund
North Korean Missiles
Feb 7, 2022 5:10 PM CST
UN: Cyberattacks Fund North Korean Missiles
Millions in cryptocurrency from exchanges go toward restricted systems
- A major source of funding for North Korea's government, especially its missile program, is theft, a UN report says. The investigation found that cyberattacks have netted millions in stolen cryptocurrency, the BBC reports, from at least three cryptocurrency exchanges in North America, Europe, and Asia. The findings have been...
Latest North Korea
Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Jan 14, 2022 12:50 AM CST
Latest North Korea Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Pyongyang carries out third weapons launch this month
- North Korea on Friday fired at least one possible ballistic missile in its third weapons launch this month, officials in South Korea and Japan said, in an apparent reprisal for fresh sanctions imposed by the Biden administration for its continuing test launches. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said...
Lived Up to
Dec 14, 2019 9:00 AM CST
North Korea: 'Rocket Man' Lived Up to His Nickname
Pyongyang says its latest missile test was 'crucial'
- North Korea has done it again, or so it says. Pyongyang announced Saturday it had conducted a "crucial test" at its site for long-range rockets—an apparent chess move with Washington amid their stalled denuclearization talks, NBC News reports. The Korean Central News Agency didn't provide details or...
After Longtime Stalemate,
New US-N. Korea Talks Set
Oct 1, 2019 7:29 AM CDT
After Longtime Stalemate, New US-N. Korea Talks Set
Nuclear negotiations are scheduled to resume Saturday
- North Korea and the US have agreed to resume nuclear negotiations on Saturday following a monthslong stalemate over withdrawal of sanctions in exchange for disarmament, a senior North Korean diplomat said Tuesday. Choe Son Hui, North Korea's first vice minister of foreign affairs, said the two nations will have...
North Korea Orders US
to Return Cargo Ship
May 14, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
North Korea Orders US to Return Cargo Ship
Spokesman calls seizure of ship a 'flagrant act of robbery'
- North Korea has expressed its displeasure with the US seizure of one of its cargo ships in standard North Korean fashion, denouncing the "flagrant act of robbery" and threatening unspecified consequences. "The United States committed an unlawful and outrageous act of dispossessing our cargo ship," a North...
Trump: 'Nobody's Happy'
About N. Korea Launches
May 10, 2019 12:26 AM CDT
Trump: 'Nobody's Happy' About N. Korea Launches
Seoul confirms 2 missiles were fired Thursday
- The US and South Korean militaries evaluated the two projectiles North Korea flew Thursday as short-range missiles, a South Korean military official said Friday, a day after the North's second launch in five days raised jitters about an unravelling detente between the Koreas and the future of nuclear negotiations...
US Seizes North Korean Ship
May 9, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
US Seizes North Korean Ship
Ship was violating international sanctions, authorities say
- In what the
New York Times
calls "a move certain to escalate tensions already on the rise" between the US and North Korea, the US has seized a North Korean cargo ship. The Justice Department says Wise Honest, the second-largest shipping vessel in Pyongyang’s fleet, was violating US...
With a New Title, Kim
Apr 12, 2019 4:25 PM CDT
With a New Title, Kim Consolidates Power
North Korean ruler tells party to make economy self-sufficient
- North Korea's legislature has given Kim Jong Un a new title and a tighter grip on power. State media referred to Kim on Friday as "supreme representative of all the Korean people" for the first time publicly, Reuters reports. He also was re-elected as chairman of the State...
After Just 6 Months, N. Korea
Pulls Out of Liaison Office
Mar 22, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
After Just 6 Months, N. Korea Pulls Out of Liaison Office
Move seen as big step backward for inter-Korea relations
- The relationship between the Koreas has taken another step backward after the collapse of the President Trump-Kim Jong Un summit. South Korean officials say North Korea has pulled out of a joint liaison office set up months ago, reports Reuters . The office was set up after a summit between Kim...
N. Korea, Not Trump, Correct
on Failed Summit: US Official
Mar 1, 2019 6:33 AM CST
N. Korea, Not Trump, Correct on Failed Summit: US Official
Kim Jong Un wanted many sanctions lifted, but not all of them, and none on weapons, official says
- President Trump's summit with Kim Jong Un ended abruptly Thursday, with Trump saying, "It was about the sanctions, basically." The president claimed that North Korea wanted all sanctions lifted without a complete dismantlement of its nuclear program, just its main nuclear complex. North Korea soon pushed back...
Kim Jong Un
Fell in Love'
Sep 30, 2018 5:38 AM CDT
Trump: Kim Jong Un Writes, 'We Fell in Love'
But, he tells West Virginia campaign rally, 'I didn't give up anything'
- President Trump told a cheering crowd at a West Virginia campaign rally that there was once tough talk "back and forth" between him and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "and then we fell in love." Trump said at the Saturday night rally: "He wrote me...
Trump Announces Tough
New Sanctions on N. Korea
Feb 23, 2018 9:12 AM CST
Trump Announces Tough New Sanctions on N. Korea
'Largest ever,' he says in excerpts released in advance of CPAC speech
- The Trump administration is hitting more than 50 vessels, shipping companies, and trade businesses with sanctions in the latest bid to turn up the pressure on North Korea over its nuclear program, a senior administration official said Friday. President Trump was set to announce the action at the Conservative Political...
Report: Sanctions Taking
Toll on N. Korea's Military
Jan 29, 2018 10:05 AM CST
Report: Sanctions Taking Toll on N. Korea's Military
Fuel conservation may explain scaled-back military exercises: 'WSJ'
- Amid calls for the reunification of "all Koreans," North Korea has scaled back its annual winter military exercises—but likely not out of the goodness of Kim Jong Un's heart. US officials say international sanctions, particularly those restricting fuel imports, have taken a toll on the country....
Report: We Actually Are Talking
to N. Korea via 'NY Channel'
Nov 1, 2017 5:17 AM CDT
Report: We Actually Are Talking to N. Korea via 'NY Channel'
Despite President Trump's description of continued talks as a 'waste of time'
- Despite stern rhetoric from both sides—including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis' description of Pyongyang's behavior as "outlaw" —the US and North Korea are still in direct talks behind the scenes and a deal is still possible, a State Department source tells Reuters . The official says American negotiator...
to Sink Japan
Sep 14, 2017 6:41 AM CDT
North Korea Threatens to Sink Japan
Pyongyang wants US reduced to 'ashes and darkness'
- North Korea has made more of the kind of blood-curdling threats that the world found easier to shrug off before Pyongyang stepped up its nuclear program. The "Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee," North Korea's state agency for dealing with the outside world, issued a statement Thursday calling for...
North Korea Promises
Over New Sanctions
Aug 7, 2017 5:16 AM CDT
North Korea Promises 'Righteous Action' Over New Sanctions
Experts worry effect may not be fast enough
- North Korea has responded to tough new United Nations Security Council sanctions with typical defiance, calling the measures a "violent violation" of its sovereignty and promising "righteous action" in return. In statements carried by the official Korea Central News Agency on Sunday, Pyongyang rejected calls for it to...
UN Security Council Passes
New Sanctions on North Korea
Aug 5, 2017 3:33 PM CDT
UN Security Council Passes New Sanctions on North Korea
They could cut North Korea's yearly export revenue by a third
- The UN Security Council unanimously approved new sanctions against North Korea on Saturday in response to recent ballistic missile tests, CNN reports. According to Reuters , the new sanctions ban North Korean exports of coal, iron, lead, seafood, and more. It also bans countries from bringing in more North Korean laborers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
They Were Enjoying Happy Hour. Then, 'Pure Panic'
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
FBI List Shows Top Secret Files Were Recovered at Mar-a-Lago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.