Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UK Can't Send
Nov 15, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Top Court: UK Can't Send Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Supreme Court decision deals PM Rishi Sunak's policy a big blow
- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the government's contentious plan to send some migrants on a one-way trip to Rwanda is illegal, striking a major blow to a key policy of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's government that has drawn international attention and criticism. Five justices on the...
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait
'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Sep 26, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
Chinese Defector: I'll Wait 'Months' in Airport If I Have to
Tiananmen Square critic Chen Siming says he feels safe in Taiwan, though he wants to go to US
- A Chinese dissident known for his commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre is currently holed up in a Taiwan airport, pleading for asylum from the United States, or Canada if the US won't take him. Chen Siming has been hunkered down since Friday at Taoyuan International Airport near...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
White House Mirrors Trump-Era
Attempt to Limit Asylum
Feb 22, 2023 2:00 AM CST
White House Mirrors Trump-Era Attempt to Limit Asylum
The measure is expected to take effect when pandemic-era Title 42 expires
- The Biden administration said Tuesday that it will generally deny asylum to migrants who show up at the US southern border without first seeking protection in a country they passed through, mirroring an attempt by the Trump administration that never took effect because it was blocked in court, the AP...
Hundreds of Child
Are Missing in UK
Jan 25, 2023 1:09 PM CST
Hundreds of Child Asylum-Seekers Are Missing in UK
Lawmakers fear they've been seized by traffickers, demand investigation
- Hundreds of child asylum-seekers have disappeared from government-approved accommodations in Britain within the last two years, Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick said Tuesday. The unaccompanied minors were housed in contracted hotels as the usual asylum accommodation system was overwhelmed . "Out of the 4,600 unaccompanied children that have been accommodated...
Asks SCOTUS to
Dec 21, 2022 12:04 AM CST
White House Asks SCOTUS to Lift Trump-Era Border Policy
High court had previously temporarily blocked the lifting of the asylum restrictions
- The Biden administration on Tuesday asked the Supreme Court to lift Trump-era asylum restrictions—but not necessarily on Wednesday, when they were originally set to expire before the high court temporarily blocked that from happening. A coalition of conservative states is seeking to keep the Title 42 border policy in...
UK's Controversial Plan: Ship
Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Apr 16, 2022 8:48 AM CDT
UK's Controversial Plan: Ship Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Refugee groups and humanitarian organizations are denouncing the plan
- The British government on Thursday announced a plan under which some asylum-seekers—generally single men—will be put on a one-way flight to Rwanda. It's part of a deal that involves an up-front payment of $158 million being made to Rwanda. Once the asylum-seekers arrive in that country, some...
SCOTUS to Biden:
'Remain in Mexico' Policy
Aug 25, 2021 1:03 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Biden: Reinstate Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy
High court refuses to block lower court ruling
- The Supreme Court says the Biden administration likely violated federal law in trying to end a Trump-era program that forces people to wait in Mexico while seeking asylum in the US. With three liberal justices in dissent, the high court on Tuesday refused to block a lower court ruling ordering...
Migrants Made to 'Remain in
Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Feb 12, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Migrants Made to 'Remain in Mexico' Will Soon Arrive in US
Biden administration rolls back Trump DHS program, will start letting asylum-seekers trickle in
- Starting next Friday, asylum-seekers languishing south of the border will start to see a respite. Under the Trump administration, Central American migrants trying to cross into the US from Mexico were made to "Remain in Mexico"—Trump's name for the Migrant Protection Protocols program , set up in...
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Oct 19, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Trump's 'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Get SCOTUS Review
Court won't look at the case until 2021, though—meaning it may be moot if Biden is elected
- The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to review a Trump administration policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings. As is typical, the court didn't comment in announcing it would hear the case. Because the court's calendar is already full through the end of the...
Canada Court Invalidates
Asylum Agreement With US
Jul 23, 2020 1:10 AM CDT
Canada Court Invalidates Asylum Agreement With US
But decision is delayed for 6 months
- A Canadian court Wednesday invalidated the country’s Safe Third Country Agreement with the United States, ruling elements of the law violate Canadian constitutional guarantees of life, liberty and security, the AP reports. But Federal Court Justice Ann Marie McDonald delayed the implementation of her decision for six months to...
Supreme Court Gives Trump
a Win on Immigration
Jun 25, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Trump a Win on Immigration
Ruling makes it easier to deport asylum seekers
- The latest Supreme Court decision on immigration has gone President Trump's way. In a 7-2 ruling on Thursday, the court made it easier to deport asylum seekers at the border, reports
. The decision means that people whose requests for asylum are rejected in their initial screenings aren'...
'Remain in Mexico'
Policy Will Continue
Mar 11, 2020 2:06 PM CDT
'Remain in Mexico' Policy Will Continue
SCOTUS allows controversial policy to stay in place for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it would allow the Trump administration to continue enforcing a policy that makes asylum-seekers wait in Mexico for US court hearings, despite lower court rulings that the policy probably is illegal, the AP reports. The justices' order, over a dissenting vote by Justice Sonia...
Immigration Chief Unlawfully
Named, Lacks Authority: Judge
Mar 2, 2020 12:51 AM CST
Immigration Chief Unlawfully Named, Lacks Authority: Judge
Ken Cuccinelli didn't have right to give asylum seekers less time to prepare for interviews
- A federal judge has ruled that Ken Cuccinelli was unlawfully appointed to lead the US Citizenship and Immigration Services agency and, as a result, lacked authority to give asylum seekers less time to prepare for initial screening interviews. Cuccinelli, a former Virginia attorney general and an immigration hardliner, was named...
The US Deported Them.
138 Are Now Dead
Feb 5, 2020 7:11 AM CST
The US Deported Them. 138 Are Now Dead
Human Rights Watch documents cases of murdered Salvadorans
- The report is called "Deported to Danger," and for at least 138 Salvadorans, danger is putting it too mildly. In its report released Wednesday, Human Rights Watch says that's the number of migrants and asylum seekers that were murdered after the US deported them back to El...
Minors Who Sought
Now Return Alone
Nov 27, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Minors Who Sought Asylum With Their Families Now Return Alone
135 such children are in US custody and, for now, can't be sent back
- Children as young as 4 are crossing the US-Mexico border alone in what CNN reports is a dangerous consequence of the Trump administration's policy of requiring some migrants to remain in Mexico while their immigration cases play out. Some 60,000 migrants seeking asylum in the US have been...
Trump Pact With Honduras
'Seals Off' Central America
Sep 26, 2019 5:18 AM CDT
Trump Pact With Honduras 'Seals Off' Central America
Administration signs deal to send asylum seekers to country
- The Trump administration signed a deal Wednesday with a third Central American country that would effectively seal off the region, preventing asylum-seekers traveling through from entering the United States, the AP reports. The latest agreement, signed on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, paves the way to send asylum-seekers...
Trump Loses Court
Battle Over Asylum
Jul 24, 2019 7:48 PM CDT
Trump Loses Court Battle Over Asylum
Federal judge's ruling halts the policy across the Mexico border
- A federal judge on Wednesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing new asylum restrictions for immigrants at the US-Mexico border, marking the latest defeat for a president waging an all-out battle in the courts to stop the flow of migrants into the country, the AP reports. The ruling by US...
New Rule Makes
Big Change to Asylum Law
Jul 16, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
New Rule Makes Big Change to Asylum Law
It would vastly restrict number of migrants who can apply for asylum in America
- A new rule that fundamentally changes US asylum law and would dramatically reduce the number of migrants who can apply at the border goes into effect Tuesday, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. An immediate legal challenge is expected. The new rule, published in the Federal Register , stipulates that any migrant...
20% of Asylum Seekers
Come From a Single Country
Jun 20, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
20% of Asylum Seekers Come From a Single Country
UN calls economic crisis there a 'war of survival'
- When Johan Álvarez was unable to provide more than one meal a day for his young family he knew it was time to leave Venezuela. With his wife and infant son, the 25-year-old embarked on a lengthy journey by bus through three nations to reach Peru earlier this year....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.