Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Department of Defense
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pentagon Weighs Changes in
Deploying DC National Guard
Aug 12, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Pentagon Weighs Changes in Deploying DC National Guard
Proposals follow problems with response to George Floyd, Jan. 6 protests
- The Pentagon is developing plans to restructure the National Guard in Washington, DC, in a move to address problems highlighted by the chaotic response to the Jan. 6 riot and safety breaches during the 2020 protests over the murder of George Floyd, the AP reports. The changes under discussion would...
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Killed ISIS Leader
Jul 9, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
US: Harassed Drones Later Killed ISIS Leader
Usamah al-Muhajir was riding a motorcycle near Aleppo, official says
- A US drone strike killed an Islamic State group leader in Syria hours after the same MQ-9 Reaper drones were harassed by Russian military jets over the western part of the country, the Defense Department reported Sunday. Three Reapers had been flying overhead searching for the militant on Friday, a...
US Opts Not to Shoot
New Balloon Out of Sky
May 2, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
US Opts Not to Shoot New Balloon Out of Sky
But military is watching a new mystery object that drifted over Hawaii, is now headed to Mexico
- After a mysterious spate of balloon sightings earlier this year, a new entry has made its way into the mix. NBC News reports that the US military has been tailing a new balloon since late last week that drifted over parts of Hawaii, though officials indicate it didn't fly...
US Leak Reveals More
Than War Secrets
Apr 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
US Leak Reveals More Than War Secrets
Justice Department investigates while Pentagon assesses the damage
- The leak of US classified documents concerning Ukraine's defense against the Russian invasion has done more than reveal information that could help opposing nations on the battlefield. The files also provide a detailed look at US intelligence operations, including whom the US is spying on and how, the
US General Tells Command
to Prepare for War With China
Jan 28, 2023 1:55 PM CST
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
Gen. Mike Minihan tells personnel to train and get their affairs in order
- "I hope I am wrong," an Air Force general told commanders under him as he warned in a new memo that he expects the US and China to be at war in two years. "My gut tells me we will fight in 2025." Gen. Mike Minihan,...
Pentagon Has Some
News About Aliens
Dec 17, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Pentagon Has Some News About Aliens
Officials: There's so far no evidence any have visited, crash-landed on Earth, but probe continues
- In July, the Defense Department announced the creation of a new division: the All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office, or AARO, designed to "to detect, identify, and attribute objects of interest in, on or near military installations, operating areas, training areas, special use airspace and other areas of interest, and, as...
Pentagon Intros Secret New
Bomber: 'Won't Really See It'
Dec 2, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Pentagon Intros Secret New Bomber: 'Won't Really See It'
B-21 Raider is first US stealth warplane of its kind in more than 30 years, meant to combat China
- America's newest nuclear stealth bomber is making its public debut after years of secret development and as part of the Pentagon's answer to rising concerns over a future conflict with China. The B-21 Raider is the first new American bomber aircraft in more than 30 years, per the...
Pentagon Officials' Phones
Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Aug 3, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Pentagon Officials' Phones Were Wiped of Jan. 6 Texts
Watchdog group demands investigation
- The post-Jan. 6 phone-wiping apparently extended to the Pentagon as well as Homeland Security and the Secret Service , according to court documents. The watchdog group American Oversight says that in response to litigation, the Department of Defense and the Army have confirmed that the phones of officials including former acting...
Russia Plans 'Graphic' Video
of Fake Ukrainian Attack: US
Feb 3, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Russia Plans 'Graphic' Video of Fake Ukrainian Attack: US
Staging could include actors and corpses, though Pentagon doesn't release proof
- Russia plans to make a video in which Ukraine appears to be attacking, US officials said Thursday their intelligence shows. The video could be released as a justification for an invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces, ABC News reports. The staging could be elaborate. "We believe that Russia would...
US Places 8.5K Troops
on High Alert for Ukraine
Jan 24, 2022 5:09 PM CST
US Places 8.5K Troops on High Alert for Ukraine
Move is intended to reassure allies, Pentagon says
- Saying "it's very clear the Russians have no intention right now of de-escalating," a Pentagon spokesman announced Monday that 8,500 US troops have been placed on high alert. Should Russia invade Ukraine, most of them would join a NATO response force that hasn't yet become...
Pentagon Warns About
'Likes' on Extremist Content
Dec 20, 2021 8:00 PM CST
Pentagon Warns About 'Likes' on Extremist Content
Defense Department updates guidelines for military personnel
- Alarmed that military personnel took part in the Capitol riot in January, Pentagon officials issued new guidelines Monday about participation in extremist organizations. At the same time, the military reported that the number of active service members involved in extremism is increasing, CBS News reports. The guidelines don't prohibit...
Religious Exemption Requests
on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Dec 19, 2021 11:55 AM CST
Religious Exemption Requests on Vaccine Go Nowhere
Pentagon didn't expect 12K applications
- When the Pentagon announced in August that all service members would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, it said they can seek religious exemptions. More than 12,000 military service members have done that, the AP reports, but so far, not one exemption on religious grounds has been granted....
6-Year ID Project for Victims
of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
Dec 7, 2021 11:40 AM CST
6-Year ID Project for Victims of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
92% of the victims from Pearl Harbor attack were identified, with 33 remaining 'unknowns'
- A six-year project to identify the crew members killed on the USS Oklahoma when it sank during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has ended with 33 people still unidentified, the military revealed this week. However, 355 sailors and Marines were identified from dental records or DNA samples supplied by...
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues
Pentagon Over Memoir
Nov 29, 2021 7:32 AM CST
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues Pentagon Over Memoir
Mark Esper says Defense Department is blocking parts of his manuscript it thought were 'too candid'
- Mark Esper's memoir,
A Sacred Oath
, is due out in May from William Morrow, but readers may not see everything he originally included in its pages, thanks to the Pentagon. The former defense secretary in the Trump administration is now suing the agency he once led, claiming that sections...
Pentagon Group to
'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Nov 25, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Pentagon Group to 'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Critic argues investigative body will only 'maintain UAP/UFO secrecy'
- There's a new team of experts patrolling the skies for UFOs. The Pentagon on Tuesday announced the creation of a new body to investigate unidentified flying objects, now labeled "unidentified aerial phenomena," after a federal government report published in June failed to explain 143 of 144 sightings...
for a Hotter Planet
Oct 8, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Pentagon Plans for a Hotter Planet
Defense proposal calls for adapting but not for cutting its own fossil fuel use
- A new Pentagon plan calls for incorporating the realities of a hotter, harsher Earth at every level in the US military, from making worsening climate extremes a mandatory part of strategic planning to training troops how to secure their own water supplies and treat heat injury. The Pentagon—whose jets,...
CIA Warned About Civilians
Seconds Before Drone Hit
Sep 18, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
CIA Warned About Civilians Seconds Before Drone Hit
Word came too late to stop the missile that killed 10 people
- A Hellfire missile was on its way to its target, a white Corolla in Kabul, when the CIA realized there were civilians in the area, maybe even children in the vehicle. The agency issued an urgent warning to the US military seconds before the missile struck, killing 10 civilians, seven...
Pentagon Calls Off Deal With
Microsoft That Went to Court
Jul 6, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Pentagon Calls Off Deal With Microsoft That Went to Court
Amazon complained about cloud computing contract that could pay $10B
- The Pentagon said Tuesday it canceled a disputed cloud computing contract with Microsoft that could eventually have been worth $10 billion. The Defense Department will instead pursue a deal with both Microsoft and Amazon and possibly other cloud service providers, the AP reports. "With the shifting technology environment, it...
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents
Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
May 13, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
12 CIA Agents on 3 Continents Treated for 'Havana Syndrome'
That's just so far this year; total cases number more than 130: reports
- More than 130 US personnel within the CIA, State Department, Defense Department, and other agencies have suffered ailments, including what could be permanent brain damage, as a result of mysterious incidents that began five years ago—far more than the 60 cases that have been publicly disclosed. That's according...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.