Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Americans Can't Opt Out
of Today's 'Presidential Alert'
Oct 3, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Americans Can't Opt Out of Today's 'Presidential Alert'
Message from Trump will be sent to all cellphones
- A text message from President Trump will be sent to more than 200 million US cellphones in a test starting at 2:18pm Eastern on Wednesday—but officials stress that the president won't be texting Americans on a regular basis. The Federal Emergency Management Agency says the "Presidential...
Sweden Telling All Its People
How to Prepare for War
in case you missed it
May 26, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
Sweden Telling All Its People How to Prepare for War
'If Sweden is attacked by another country, we will never give up'
- What would you do if you couldn't flush your toilet, access an ATM, turn on your heat, easily buy food, or go online? Those living in Sweden should soon be able to answer those questions. The government will next week send a 20-page pamphlet to each of the country'...
May 24, 2012 5:45 AM CDT
British Columbia Preps Citizens for Zombies
If you're ready for the undead, you're ready for anything
- You've picked on the wrong little girl, zombie! That's the message a feisty British Columbian has for a walker who aims to eat her brains in a video produced by the province to prepare its citizens for an invasion of the undead. Actually, not
. It's a...
Verizon 'Emergency' Text
Spooks New Jersey
Dec 13, 2011 6:33 AM CST
Verizon 'Emergency' Text Spooks New Jersey
Customers ordered to 'take shelter now,' but it's just a test
- Verizon sparked panic in central New Jersey yesterday by sending thousands of customers a text message reading: "Civil Emergency in this area until 1:24 PM EST Take Shelter Now US Govern." Verizon says the message, which caused 911 dispatchers to be swamped with calls, was part of...
CDC: Get Ready
for Zombie Apocalypse
May 19, 2011 9:00 AM CDT
CDC: Get Ready for Zombie Apocalypse
Or, you know, a hurricane
- The CDC wants to make sure you’re prepared … for a zombie apocalypse. In a blog posting Monday that quickly became the organization’s most popular ever, Assistant Surgeon General Ali Khan offers helpful tips to prepare for the invasion of “flesh-eating zombies.” Conveniently enough, many of...
Fukushima's Disaster Plan:
A Stretcher and a Fax
Mar 31, 2011 7:27 AM CDT
Fukushima's Disaster Plan: A Stretcher and a Fax
Plant was woefully unprepared for natural disaster
- Tokyo Electric Power Co. had a disaster plan in place at its Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, but certainly not a very thorough one: It only involved one stretcher, and relied heavily on a satellite phone and fax machine for emergency communications. In a look at the plan, the
Madoff Family's New Gig:
High-End Disaster Planning
Mar 23, 2011 10:23 AM CDT
Madoff Family's New Gig: High-End Disaster Planning
Catherine Hooper and Andrew Madoff run 'Black Umbrella'
- Are you prepared in the event of a disaster? Well, if you have tons of excess cash, don’t worry: The Madoff family can help. After his father was arrested, Andrew Madoff helped fiancée Catherine Hooper launch a high-end disaster planning service, ABC News reports. Dubbed “Black Umbrella,...
Emergency Response Plans
Dec 15, 2010 12:59 PM CST
Recession Endangers Emergency Response Plans
Report cites progress but warns of state budget cuts
- States are more prepared than ever to respond to public emergencies, but the recession is putting all those gains at risk, an annual assessment warns. The report from Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation gives states their highest marks since the report's inception in the...
2-Way Tweeting Helps Louisiana Monitor Spill
Jun 14, 2010 4:35 PM CDT
2-Way Tweeting Helps Louisiana Monitor Spill
Emergency agency makes good use of give-and-take with followers
- Like a lot of other government agencies, Louisiana's emergency-preparedness office uses its Twitter feed to keep citizens updated on issues like the Gulf oil spill. In a neat twist, the office is following thousands of its own followers, "something that a lot of government agencies in the emergency area...
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.