Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Finally, We Have
a Mega Millions Winner
Jan 14, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Finally, We Have a Mega Millions Winner
Winning ticket for estimated $1.35B grand prize was sold in Maine
- Maine scored its first Mega Millions jackpot—and someone beat the ill fortune of Friday the 13th—when a ticket purchased in the state matched the winning numbers for the lottery's estimated $1.35 billion grand prize. The lucky combination of numbers drawn late Friday night were: 30, 43,...
Maine Objects to Decision
by Whole Foods on Lobster
Nov 27, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
Fishing equipment can endanger whales
- Environmental groups are again at odds with politicians and fishermen in New England in the wake of a decision by high-end retail giant Whole Foods to stop selling Maine lobster. Whole Foods recently said that it will stop selling lobster from the Gulf of Maine at hundreds of its stores...
Video of Shark's
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Video of Shark's Surprise Move Goes Viral
Mako jumps into boat, but all ends well
- Passengers on a charter boat keeping an eye out for sharks got a much closer look than they anticipated in Maine. However, all ended well, including for the shark. As NECN reports, a boat with Sea Ventures Charters was about 20 miles off Monhegan Island when a mako shark leaped...
In Maine Capitol,
Sky Is Literally Falling
Aug 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
In Maine Capitol, Sky Is Literally Falling
Or a mysterious metal object anyway
- A large metal object thought to have come from an airliner fell from the sky and nearly hit an officer on duty outside the Maine State House on Friday. The cylinder crashed to the ground with a loud bang just six to eight feet from Capitol Police officer Craig Donahue...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Chipotle Shuts Store Just
Before Union Hearing
Jul 20, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Chipotle Shuts Store Just Before Union Hearing
Organizers for Maine restaurant call the move a union-busting effort
- Chipotle has permanently closed a restaurant where the staff was seeking to hold a vote on forming a union. The company emailed the news to employees at its Augusta, Maine, store Tuesday morning, 2½ hours before a National Labor Relations Board meeting was to begin on workers' petition to hold...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
May Be Solved
Jul 7, 2022 1:44 PM CDT
Mystery of Seal Strandings May Be Solved
Tests confirm dead seals in Maine had avian flu
- The avian flu epidemic appears to have claimed its first known marine mammal victims in North America. The US Department of Agriculture has confirmed four Maine seals who died or had to be euthanized tested positive for the virus, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Tuesday. Officials tested the...
for Juneteenth, With
a Racist Message
Jun 23, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Business Closes for Juneteenth, With a Racist Message
Maine insurance agency is taking heat for sign referencing a well-worn stereotype
- Many US businesses shuttered on Monday to mark the federal holiday Juneteenth, but one company in Maine is now taking heat for the way it chose to announce its closing. CNBC notes the import of the holiday, which commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union Army soldiers showed up in Texas...
Supreme Court Sides With
Religious Schools Over Maine
Jun 21, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Religious Schools Over Maine
Court's conservative majority sides against Maine and restriction on use of public money
- As the nation awaits the Roe v. Wade decision , the Supreme Court continues to release other high-profile rulings from this year's term—including one on Tuesday that opens the door to lawsuits over the herbicide Roundup . Another on Tuesday has to do with the specific issue of education in...
Appeal Over River
Apr 18, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
SCOTUS Denies Penobscot Nation's Appeal Over River
Chief says case involves the 'core identity of the Penobscot Nation'
- The US Supreme Court on Monday declined an appeal by the Penobscot Indian Nation in its fight with Maine over ownership and regulation of the tribe’s namesake river. It was a bitter defeat for the tribe that sued a decade ago, claiming the Penobscot River is part of its...
Students Praised for
Quick Action After
Bus Driver Collapses
Mar 15, 2022 4:48 PM CDT
Students Praised for Quick Action After Bus Driver Collapses
Maine students steered school bus to safety
- A group of Maine middle and high school students grabbed the wheel of their school bus Monday morning when their driver suffered a fatal medical condition, steering the vehicle to safety while another classmate attempted to administer first aid to the stricken driver. Topsham Police Chief Marc Hagan thanked the...
Hidden Work by
'the Painter of Maine'
Surfaces in Bank Vault
Jan 14, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Hidden Work by 'the Painter of Maine' Surfaces in Bank Vault
Marsden Hartley's 'Friend Against the Wind' last seen in public 40 years ago
- A painting by the American modernist Marsden Hartley that had been out of public sight for 40 years was located in a bank vault, a significant step toward uncovering the works of an increasingly appreciated artist who considered himself "the painter of Maine," reports the AP . The painting,...
Ice Disk Returns
Jan 13, 2022 12:15 PM CST
Maine's Spinning Ice Disk Returns
It formed over a vortex in the Presumpscot River
- Maine's famous rotating ice disk is back. The disk has begun to form in the Presumpscot River, where it partially formed in 2020 but failed to draw a worldwide audience like in its first appearance in 2019. Westbrook city officials shared photos of the formation Wednesday on Facebook , encouraging...
Mom Saved by Clever Teen
and a New Pair of Sneakers
Dec 19, 2021 3:10 PM CST
Mom Saved by Clever Teen and a New Pair of Sneakers
16-year-old fashions tourniquet with shoelace
- Thanks to quick-thinking and calm, a teen in eastern Maine was able to save his mom. Kristen Iarrobino just wanted to step outside in her slippers for a moment, and considered the possibility that the ground was more treacherous than it looked and she might need better footwear. “I...
Man's Death on a Maine Island
Doesn't End as You'd Expect
Dec 19, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Man's Death on a Maine Island Doesn't End as You'd Expect
6 witnesses told the same story, but no one was ever arrested
- That there was enmity between Roger Feltis and Dorian and Briannah Ames was well-known. The source of it is murkier, but the outcome was painfully clear: on a June night in 2020, Feltis ended up dead. How is somewhat murky, too. In a lengthy piece for
, Jesse Ellison first...
Man Who Stuffed Razor Blades
in Pizza Dough Is Sentenced
Dec 3, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Man Who Stuffed Razor Blades in Pizza Dough Is Sentenced
Nicholas Mitchell to serve nearly 5 years in prison for effort to sabotage former employer
A man who admitted to planting razor blades in pizza dough sold at a Maine-based supermarket chain was sentenced to 4 years and nine months in prison and ordered to pay nearly $230,000 in restitution on Thursday. "My intentions were never to harm anybody, only to disrupt...
COVID Patient Wakes on Day
Family Was to Pull the Plug
Nov 18, 2021 5:35 PM CST
COVID Patient Wakes on Day Family Was to Pull the Plug
Bettina Lerman, 69, has a long road of recovery ahead
- Doctors were certain Bettina Lerman would not wake after more than a month on a ventilator battling COVID-19 at a hospital in Portland, Maine. So her family flew to Lerman's home in Florida, canceled her lease, got rid of many of her possessions, and began planning a funeral, reports...
On Maine's Vax Mandate,
Supreme Court Turns Away
Oct 30, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
On Maine's Vax Mandate, Supreme Court Turns Away
High court won't block the directive, which went into effect for health care workers in Maine on Friday
- The Supreme Court has rejected an emergency appeal from health care workers in Maine to block a vaccine mandate that went into effect Friday. Three conservative justices noted their dissents. The state isn't offering a religious exemption to hospital and nursing home workers who risk losing their jobs if...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.