Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is One
Wildly Unique Lobster
Nov 20, 2023 9:09 AM CST
This Is One Wildly Unique Lobster
Split-color, split-sex Maine lobster now dubbed 'Bowie'
- As a fifth-generation lobsterman, Jacob Knowles has seen his fair share of crustaceans. However, one half-orange, half-blue lobster recently caught his eye—and those of his millions of social media followers, per Boston 25 . As Knowles explains in a TikTok video , "it's probably one of the rarest lobsters...
Gun Shop Owner: Maine
Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Oct 30, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
Gun Shop Owner: Maine Suspect Triggered 'Yellow Flag'
Robert Card reportedly tried to buy silencer months earlier, was rejected due to one answer on form
- The man suspected of killing 18 and injuring 13 in a mass shooting last week in Lewiston, Maine, apparently tried to buy a silencer at a local gun shop almost three months before the massacre. Rick LaChapelle, owner of Coastal Defense Firearms in nearby Auburn, tells ABC News that Robert...
Here Are the 18
Victims in Maine
Oct 28, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Here Are the 18 Victims in Maine
A teen bowler, a shipbuilder who loved cornhole among those gunned down in Lewiston
- Amid reports of the Friday discovery of the body of the suspected gunman in two mass shootings in Lewiston, Maine, more details on the victims. The 18 people killed included a 14-year-old bowler, a shipbuilder who loved playing the game of cornhole, and a sign language interpreter. According to Maine...
Maine Lawmaker Does U-Turn
on Assault Weapons Ban
Oct 27, 2023 5:00 AM CDT
Maine Lawmaker Does U-Turn on Assault Weapons Ban
Democratic Rep. Jared Golden says 'misjudgments' led him to oppose ban
- As the manhunt continued for the suspect in this year's deadliest mass shooting in the US, a Maine congressman reversed his position on an assault weapons ban. US Rep. Jared Golden, a Democrat whose district includes Lewiston, where 18 people were killed in Wednesday night's shooting , said "...
Family Says Maine Suspect
May Have Been Looking for Ex
Oct 27, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Family Says Maine Suspect May Have Been Looking for Ex
Robert Card remains at large after shooting that killed 18
- Maine police on Thursday night briefly surrounded a home believed to be the last known address of the suspected gunman in the mass shooting that killed 18 people Wednesday. The manhunt for suspect Robert Card, 40, has continued since the shootings at two locations in Lewiston, a bar and a...
New Toll in Maine:
18 Dead, 13 Injured
Oct 26, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
New Toll in Maine: 18 Dead, 13 Injured
Suspected gunman remains at large
This story has been updated with more info on the gunman and other details throughout.
Authorities in Maine have updated the casualty toll from Wednesday night's mass shooting in Lewiston : A "profoundly saddened" Gov. Janet Mills said at least 18 people were killed and 13 injured, reports the...
Maine Shooting Could Be
Worst in State History
Oct 26, 2023 5:55 AM CDT
Maine Shooting Could Be Worst in State History
Lewiston locked down as police hunt 'person of interest' Robert Card
- Lewiston, Maine, and two nearby communities remained locked down Thursday morning as authorities hunted a person of interest in a mass shooting believed to have killed at least 16 people. The Wednesday night shooting is likely the deadliest shooting in the state's history, with some officials putting the death...
Police Identify Person of
Interest in Maine Mass Shooting
Oct 26, 2023 12:42 AM CDT
Police Identify Person of Interest in Maine Mass Shooting
Robert Card was trained as a firearms instructor at Army Reserve facility
- Police are searching for a man trained as a firearms instructor at a US Army Reserve training facility in Maine after a mass shooting in the state that reportedly killed at least 16 people and left another 50 to 60 injured Wednesday night, some of whom were reportedly hurt during...
Report: At Least 16 Dead
in Maine Mass Shooting
Oct 25, 2023 9:50 PM CDT
Report: At Least 16 Dead in Maine Mass Shooting
Lewiston residents told to shelter in place
This story has been updated with the current death toll and other details throughout.
People in Lewiston, Maine's second-biggest city, have been told to stay in place amid what police say is an active shooter situation involving at least two locations. At least 16 people have been killed—with...
This Is the Safest
State in America
Oct 23, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
This Is the Safest State in America
Vermont tops WalletHub's list, while Louisiana comes in last
- After the upheaval of the pandemic, it's soothing to get back to "normal." But that normality has brought us back to Earth on many other issues we're still contending with, including general safety, a term that can encompass many different forms. To see which states keep...
Mast Snaps on
Oct 9, 2023 5:06 PM CDT
Mast Snaps on Historic Schooner, Killing 1
3 others injured on Maine windjammer Grace Bailey
- The main mast of a historic excursion vessel splintered and fell onto the vessel's deck Monday, killing one person and injuring three others aboard the schooner Grace Bailey, officials said. A nearby Coast Guard vessel began evacuating the injured passengers within minutes of the mast's catastrophic failure and...
Maine Under First
Hurricane Watch in 15 Years
Sep 14, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Maine Under First Hurricane Watch in 15 Years
New England may get slammed anew this weekend
- Days of wild weather that produced torrential rain, flooding, sinkholes, and a likely tornado in New England could be a prelude to something more dangerous lurking offshore—Hurricane Lee. Maine was under its first hurricane watch in 15 years as the region prepared for 20-foot waves and winds gusting to...
Walkway Collapse at
Lighthouse Injures 11
Sep 10, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Walkway Collapse at Lighthouse Injures 11
Maine attraction was open for annual tour
- Eleven lighthouse enthusiasts were hurt when a walkway collapsed, sending people tumbling into mudflats below during an annual event that encourages tours of Maine's beloved beacons. The wooden walkway collapsed at Doubling Point Lighthouse in Arrowsic on Saturday afternoon, the AP reports. The lighthouse was open to the public...
Man, 86, Assumed Identity
of Brother Who Died in 1939
Aug 23, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Man, 86, Assumed Identity of Brother Who Died in 1939
Napoleon Gonzalez obtained Social Security benefits under both names
- An 86-year-old Maine man accused of assuming his brother's identity decades ago and using it to double dip on Social Security benefits has been convicted of several charges, caught by facial recognition technology that matched the same face to two different identities, authorities say. Napoleon Gonzalez of Etna assumed...
Fed Her Home
in case you missed it
Aug 6, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Woman, 87, Fed Her Home Invader
Maine's Marjorie Perkins says she fought off teen home intruder, then fed him a meal
- An elderly woman not only fought off an intruder who broke into her Maine home—she made sure he was well-fed before he went on his way. The
reports that 87-year-old Marjorie Perkins of Brunswick was fast asleep last Wednesday when she woke up to find a young...
This Is the Best State in
America for Health Care
Jul 31, 2023 5:47 PM CDT
This Is the Best State in America for Health Care
Minnesota tops WalletHub's list, with West Virginia coming in last
- Health care in the US before COVID was already a prime political topic—and after the pandemic hit, it became even more so. WalletHub wanted to see which states offered the best, most affordable services, so it looked at all 50 states and Washington, DC, using more than 40 metrics...
This Is the Most
Patriotic State in America
Jul 4, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
This Is the Most Patriotic State in America
Virginia is for lovers (of the US), per WalletHub, while Arkansas needs to muster up more affection
- It's the biggest holiday of the American summer, and flags are waving. As Americans light their grills and prepare to watch the Fourth's fireworks, WalletHub susses out which states are the most patriotic. To figure out where citizens are most likely to be decked out in their red,...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
By Day, He Sweeps
School Halls. After
That, a 'Noble'
May 15, 2023 8:52 AM CDT
By Day, He Sweeps School Halls. After That, a 'Noble' Coaching Gig
Dave Bishop has mentored Maine schoolkids in chess, helping them win state championships
- When Dave Bishop was 50, he decided he'd had enough of his 30-year telecommunications career. He took a retirement package, and a job as a custodian in a Maine school district, figuring it would be a lot less stressful than what he used to do. Now, more than a...
Maine Shooting Suspect
Got Out of Prison Days Earlier
Apr 19, 2023 1:59 PM CDT
Maine Shooting Suspect Got Out of Prison Days Earlier
Joseph Eaton accused of killing 4 at rural home before shooting at cars on interstate
- The man accused of killing four people at a home in Maine Tuesday before injuring three people in their vehicles on an interstate highway had only been out of prison for a few days, officials say. The Maine Department of Corrections says Joseph Eaton, 34, was released Friday from the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.