Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Musk Is Worried
So Is His Mom
Feb 6, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
'Severe back pain,' lack of sleep appear to be taking a toll
- Elon Musk scored a court victory last week over some business tweets, but the trial brought to light a different concern—that he's a 51-year-old guy working insane hours while running Twitter, SpaceX, and Tesla. The
Wall Street Journal
digs in, noting that at one point during the San...
of the People
Feb 4, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Musk Celebrates Verdict: 'Wisdom of the People Has Prevailed!'
Jurors decide Musk didn't defraud Tesla investors with 2018 posts about EV automaker
- A jury on Friday decided Elon Musk didn't defraud investors with his 2018 tweets about electric automaker Tesla in a proposed deal that quickly unraveled and raised questions about whether the billionaire had misled investors. The nine-member jury reached its verdict after less than two hours of deliberation following...
Rules Change for EV Tax Credits
Feb 3, 2023 3:45 PM CST
Rules Change for EV Tax Credits
Automakers lobbied for higher-priced models to be included
- The Treasury Department said Friday it is making more electric vehicles—including SUVs made by Tesla, Ford, and General Motors—eligible for tax credits of up to $7,500 under new vehicle classification definitions. The revised standards for EV tax credits follow lobbying by automakers that had pressed the Biden...
Twitter Sued for Not Paying
Rent on Its Headquarters
Jan 24, 2023 6:08 PM CST
Twitter Sued for Not Paying Rent on Its Headquarters
Company's London landlords are also suing
- More landlords are taking Twitter to court over unpaid rent, this time at the social media company’s headquarters in San Francisco and its British offices—the latest sign that owner Elon Musk's extreme cost-cutting strategy includes simply not paying the bills. Twitter is facing a lawsuit over allegations...
Musk Defends His
'420' Tesla Tweets
Jan 23, 2023 6:25 PM CST
Musk Defends His '420' Tesla Tweets
He says he 'felt funding was secured' due to his ownership of SpaceX stock
- Elon Musk returned to federal court Monday in San Francisco, testifying that he believed he had locked up financial backing to take Tesla private during 2018 meetings with representatives from Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund—although no specific funding amount or price was discussed. The billionaire Tesla CEO and...
At Twitter's Fire Sale,
Bird Statue Sells for Wild Price
Jan 19, 2023 1:00 AM CST
At Twitter's Fire Sale, Bird Statue Sells for Wild Price
Auction has now closed
- The most expensive item sold at an auction of Twitter paraphernalia ? A statue of the company's bird logo, which went for around $100,000. The BBC , which has a photo of that and other items, was tracking prices as the auction neared its conclusion; final prices have not...
Musk's Tesla Tweet
Jan 18, 2023 5:40 PM CST
Musk's Tesla Tweet Trial Begins
'His lies caused regular people ... to lose millions and millions of dollars,' lawyer says
- Elon Musk was depicted Wednesday as either a liar who callously jeopardized the savings of "regular people" or a well-intentioned visionary as attorneys delivered opening statements at a trial focused on a Tesla buyout that never happened. Lawyers on opposing sides drew the starkly different portraits of Musk for...
Options' for Musk
Jan 18, 2023 7:38 AM CST
As Advertisers Flee Twitter, 'Unpalatable Options' for Musk
Reports: 500 big advertisers have ditched since October, revenue is down 40% year over year
- In his own words, Elon Musk has been "cutting costs like crazy" since his takeover last year of Twitter, in an effort to fend off an expected negative cash flow for the company of about $3 billion in 2023. Now, multiple outlets are adding details on how dire the...
Engineer Says Tesla
Self-Driving Video Was Staged
Jan 17, 2023 8:38 PM CST
Engineer Says Tesla Self-Driving Video Was Staged
'The intent of the video was not to accurately portray what was available for customers in 2016'
- A 2016 video promoting Tesla's self-driving technology wasn't what it appeared to be, a Tesla engineer testified. In previously unreported testimony, Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot software, said the video was staged and the Tesla Model X involved wasn't really driving itself, reports Reuters . "The intent...
Report: Twitter Abruptly
Closes Asia Headquarters
Jan 12, 2023 6:56 AM CST
Report: Twitter Abruptly Closes Asia Headquarters
Sources say Singapore office was closed for non-payment of rent
- Employees at Twitter's Asia headquarters found out on very short notice Wednesday that they would be working from home, insiders say. Sources tell Bloomberg that workers at the Singapore headquarters were told via email that they had to clean out their desks and be out of the building by...
Latest Suit Against
Twitter Seeks $400K
Jan 11, 2023 9:55 AM CST
Latest Suit Against Twitter Seeks $400K
Canary Marketing said its invoices haven't been paid since the takeover
- Add this to the tally of recent Twitter woes: another lawsuit over alleged nonpayment of services. This one was filed Friday by marketing firm Canary Marketing, which SF Gate reports "designs merchandise for major brands, including LaCroix, Gatorade, Slack, and KFC." It has counted Twitter among those clients...
Musk: No Way
I Can Get
Fair Trial in
Jan 8, 2023 6:05 AM CST
Musk: No Way I Can Get Fair Trial in San Francisco
Lawyers want Tesla trial moved to Texas, citing negative news coverage about Twitter
- Elon Musk has urged a federal judge to shift a trial in a Tesla shareholder lawsuit out of San Francisco because he says negative local media coverage has biased potential jurors against him. Instead, in a filing submitted late Friday—less than two weeks before the trial was set to...
Has Now Lost
the Most Money
Dec 31, 2022 10:02 AM CST
Elon Musk Has Now Lost the Most Money in History
Bloomberg reports he has become the first person to lose $200B
- A little over a year ago, Elon Musk was sitting on the astronomical sum of about $340 billion in net worth, making him the richest human on the planet by a wide margin. Today, Bloomberg reports that Musk has became the first person in history to
$200 billion. The...
Report: Things Are
Getting Messy at Twitter HQ
Dec 30, 2022 7:39 AM CST
Report: Things Are Getting Messy at Twitter HQ
- Elon Musk has been "cutting costs like crazy," as he put it, at Twitter in a bid to reverse what he says is a projected negative cash flow of roughly $3 billion next year. The
New York Times
speaks with largely unnamed sources who detail the shape those...
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk
Has a Message for Staff
Dec 29, 2022 9:50 AM CST
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk Has a Message for Staff
CEO assures employees that, one day, 'Tesla will be the most valuable company on Earth!'
- Short sellers are celebrating Tesla's plummeting stock prices , but investors aren't happy, and they're now begging CEO Elon Musk—who's sold off billions of dollars worth of his shares to help fund his newest company, Twitter—to stop dumping his stock. Tesla employees are also likely...
Twitter CEO's Other Company
Is Not Doing Very Well
Dec 27, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Twitter CEO's Other Company Is Not Doing Very Well
Elon Musk blames inflation
- Barring any profoundly unexpected news in the coming days, Tesla stock has achieved its worst-ever annual stock performance, losing roughly 70% of its value since its November 2021 peak, per the
Wall Street Journal .
It's not all CEO Elon Musk's fault, per se, as there are a host...
Musk: I'll Keep Tesla Stock
for 18 Months
Dec 23, 2022 4:35 PM CST
Musk: I'll Keep Tesla Stock for 18 Months
Stock's value has plunged since Twitter purchase
- CEO Elon Musk says he won't sell any more shares in Tesla for 18 months or more, likely an attempt to comfort shareholders of the electric vehicle company who have watched the stock lose nearly half of its value since Musk's purchase of Twitter. "I'm not...
Dec 23, 2022 10:02 AM CST
Tesla's Big New Discount Raises Concerns
US buyers can get $7.5K off, which may be a sign of weakening demand
- In assessing Elon Musk's business strategy at Tesla, the
Wall Street Journal
observes that Musk "has frequently boasted how Tesla stands apart from traditional car companies by not relying on the kind of marketing tools, such as advertisements or discounting, to goose demand." Consider demand goosed, in...
This Has Been a Stellar Year
for Tesla Short Sellers
Dec 21, 2022 2:40 PM CST
This Has Been a Stellar Year for Tesla Short Sellers
They've made around $15B betting against stock, analytics firm
- Betting against Tesla was a ruinously bad move in 2020 and 2021, but a winner in 2022, traders say. The company's stock started 2020 trading at around $30 and it hit a peak of more than $400 in November 2021. But it sank to a two-year low of $137....
Musk Calls Him
a 'Crazy Stalker.'
Cops Call Him a 'Victim'
Dec 21, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Musk Calls Him a 'Crazy Stalker.' Cops Call Him a 'Victim'
Police say member of Musk's security team is accused of hitting the man with his car
- In explaining his decision to ban the Twitter account that publishes the location of his private plane, Elon Musk claimed it had shared the " real-time, exact location " of his 2-year-old son before a " crazy stalker " confronted a vehicle carrying the boy on Dec. 13. But police...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.