Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Polar Plunge' With Friends
Goes Terribly Wrong
Jan 23, 2023 8:53 AM CST
'Polar Plunge' With Friends Goes Terribly Wrong
San Francisco State student Hamzah Alsaudi missing after wave swept him off California coast
- A "polar plunge" with friends off the coast of California went terribly wrong for a local college student who never made it out of the ocean. Per a Pacifica Police Department release cited by CBS News , Hamzah Alsaudi, 22, a senior and wrestler at San Francisco State, headed to...
College Student Was About
to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Jan 14, 2023 11:30 AM CST
College Student Was About to Exit the Bus. Then, an Attack
Indiana U: 56-year-old Bille Davis of Bloomington attacked student due to anti-Asian hate
- A 56-year-old woman has been charged after an 18-year-old Indiana University student repeatedly was stabbed in the head on a public bus in an attack the school says was because the victim is Asian. The victim told investigators she was standing and waiting for the exit doors to open on...
Pitt Students Accused
of Abusing Cadavers
Dec 28, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Pitt Students Accused of Abusing Cadavers
The school says such allegations are 'extremely rare'
- Students in an anatomy lab class at the University of Pittsburgh were taught about handling cadavers in a respectful manner, but two students allegedly went on to do the opposite. The
reports Amay Gupta and Sonel Jimenez, both 19, were charged this month with one count each of...
College Student Who'd Gone
Missing Reunites With Mom
Dec 17, 2022 10:00 AM CST
College Student Who'd Gone Missing Reunites With Mom
Ken DeLand Jr., who turned up in Spain, will be flying back to US on Saturday, official says
- A US college student studying abroad in France was reported missing last month, then found alive in Spain on Friday. Now, Ken DeLand Jr. has been reunited with his mom and will soon be headed home. DeLand "is currently in Lyon with his mother, and they should be taking...
US Student Who Vanished
in France Is Alive in Spain
Dec 16, 2022 9:23 AM CST
US Student Who Vanished in France Is Alive in Spain
Family says he is 'safe,' and he may be home for Christmas
- A US college student reported missing in France is alive and in Spain, CNN reports. Ken (Kenny) DeLand Jr. was studying abroad at the University of Grenoble Alpes when he fell out of touch with family members for two weeks. He was reported missing Nov. 29 and was traced to...
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on
Murder of Idaho Students
Dec 1, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
Police say they're not sure if University of Idaho classmates were targeted
- The four University of Idaho students murdered Nov. 13 might not have been targeted after all, according to the Moscow Police Department. The Latah County Prosecutor's Office recently said one or more attackers "specifically looked at this [off-campus] residence" and "one or more of the occupants were...
With No Suspect in Slayings,
Idaho Police Call for More Tips
Nov 23, 2022 7:35 PM CST
With No Suspect in Slayings, Idaho Police Call for More Tips
Investigators urge patience in case of four slain college students
- Police investigating the stabbing deaths of four University of Idaho students say they've sifted through more than 1,000 tips, examined 103 pieces of evidence, taken 4,000 photos, and interviewed more than 150 people. Still, Moscow police have not identified a suspect, CNN reports. They have ruled out...
Purdue Student Allegedly
Murdered by Roommate
Oct 5, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Purdue Student Allegedly Murdered by Roommate
Police say suspect called 911
- One Purdue University student is dead and another is in police custody following an apparent homicide early Wednesday in a dorm on the West Lafayette, Ind., campus, per the
University police are investigating, but few details have emerged. In a statement, Purdue President Mitch Daniels said, "This...
Official Offers Grim
Update on Missing
Mexican College Students
Aug 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Official Offers Grim Update on Missing Mexican College Students
6 of 43 'disappeared' students were allegedly kept alive for days, then ordered killed by army colonel
- Six of the 43 college students who "disappeared" in 2014 were allegedly kept alive in a warehouse for days, then turned over to the local army commander, who ordered them killed, the Mexican government official leading a truth commission said Friday. Interior Undersecretary Alejandro Encinas made the shocking revelation...
Journo Gunned Down After
Mention of Missing Students
Aug 23, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Journo Gunned Down After Mention of Missing Students
Fredid Roman found dead in Mexico, after alleging local pols' involvement in students' disappearance
- On Monday, a Mexican journalist reported online about what's acknowledged to be one of his country's "worst human-rights disasters," per NDTV —the disappearance of 43 Mexican college students in 2014. Later Monday, the reporter, Fredid "Fredy" Roman, was fatally gunned down, per the local...
NTSB: Adult Was Driving
Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Jul 14, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
NTSB: Adult Was Driving Pickup in Golf Team Crash
Agency had reported the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel in fatal collision
: A 38-year-old man was driving a pickup truck that collided with a van carrying college golf teams in Texas in March, the National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday. The agency earlier had said the man's 13-year-old son was at the wheel, but DNA tests showed that wasn't...
Hope to Move Here
Mar 18, 2022 12:41 PM CDT
After College, Young People Hope to Move Here
Seattle is most desired location, besting New York and Los Angeles in survey
- Americans' top post-college destination isn't New York or Los Angeles. It's Seattle, according to a list of the most desired locations of college students after graduation, complied by Axios and The Generation Lab as part of their Next Cities Index . The Emerald City was the overall winner, being...
Professor Trying to Unmask
Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Mar 17, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Professor Trying to Unmask Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Chapman University's David Berkovitz is suing his students after finding his exams posted online
- Chapman University professor David Berkovitz instructed students not to use class materials or other resources when they completed a midterm and final exam for his business law class from home during the spring 2021 semester. He also instructed students not to copy any part of the exams. He now says...
All Over Died
Mar 17, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Students From All Over Died Together Pursuing Their Passion
University of the Southwest community, family remember golfers, coach after devastating accident
- Laci Stone had a special request for her mom. The 18-year-old wanted to get tiny matching heart tattoos before leaving her Texas hometown and returning to New Mexico to finish out her freshman year at the University of the Southwest. She begged her mother, and now Chelsi Stone is glad...
He Arrived in Cabo
for Spring Break.
Hours Later, He
Mar 11, 2022 2:47 PM CST
He Arrived in Cabo for Spring Break. Hours Later, He Was Dead
Arizona State University's Aiden Nevarez, 18, fell 20 feet over a hotel short wall
- The Arizona State University community is mourning one of its own, a college freshman who died while celebrating spring break in Mexico, just hours after arriving at his hotel. Two friends of 18-year-old Aiden Nevarez who were with him on the trip told 12 News that they and Nevarez had...
'Something Just Happened'
Was Final Text. Then She Fell
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 7:30 AM CST
'Something Just Happened' Was Final Text. Then She Fell
Death of Penn State sophomore Justine Gross ruled accidental
Police have ruled out foul play in the death of a Penn State sophomore who fell to her death down an 11-story garbage chute in her off-campus apartment building. Justine Gross' death has been ruled accidental and the case has been closed, the
Centre Daily Times
reports. Autopsy results...
Cops: Gang Member Fatally
Stabbed Columbia Student
Dec 4, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Cops: Gang Member Fatally Stabbed Columbia Student
Davide Giri, 30, died after attack in same park where Tessa Majors was killed; suspect in custody
- A graduate student at Columbia University was stabbed to death Thursday night in New York City's Morningside Park, the same park where Barnard College student Tessa Majors was fatally stabbed almost two years ago to the day. The
New York Times
reports that Davide Giri, 30, was about two...
Limbs of College
Turn Blue After
Aug 24, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Limbs of College Students, Staff Turn Blue After Apparent Poisoning
Police are trying to figure out how 7 were sickened at Germany's Darmstadt Technical University
- Students and staff at a German college had a quite unpleasant dining experience this week, and now local police suspect poisoning. Cops in the state of Hesse say seven students and employees took ill Monday on the Lichtwiese campus of Darmstadt Technical University, reports the
. Police suspect that milk...
I'll 'Go to War'
Jul 15, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham: I'll 'Go to War' for Chick-fil-A
SC senator says he'll back chain after Notre Dame students protest possible eatery on campus
- In May, the University of Notre Dame's dining service noted in a social media post that it may be considering adding Chick-fil-A to its on-campus options—and the hubbub that has emerged at the Indiana school since now involves a senator from South Carolina. The Hill reports that Lindsey...
Hit by Stray Bullet
Jul 7, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Family: Student Hit by Stray Bullet Communicated His Wishes
Max Lewis was struck in the neck and paralyzed on way home from summer internship
- "If I have to live like this, pull the plug please. Seriously." That's what the family of Max Lewis says the 20-year-old spelled out by blinking over the weekend. The family removed the University of Chicago student from life support on Sunday, just three days after he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
One Quirk in Couples Health Study Is a Surprise
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.