Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Now Just 5 MLB Teams
Have Never Won a World Series
Nov 1, 2023 9:00 PM CDT
Now Just 5 MLB Teams Have Never Won a World Series
After Texas Rangers beat Arizona Diamondbacks
- Corey Seager took a mighty hack and barely connected, sending a dribbler through an open area on the left side of the infield for his team's first hit in the seventh inning on the Texas Rangers' way to their first World Series title. The Rangers shortstop and World Series...
He Gave Up
Chance to Make
History for a Friend
Oct 30, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
He Gave Up Chance to Make World Series History for a Friend
Tommy Pham asked to sit in 9th so fellow journeyman Jace Peterson could get an at-bat
- The Arizona Diamondbacks crushed the Texas Rangers 9-1 in Game 2 of the World Series Saturday night, but there was one bit of drama left heading into the 9th inning. Tommy Pham of the Diamondbacks was due to bat, and he was already 4-for-4. If he were to get a...
Bush Will Throw
First Pitch in Game 1
Oct 27, 2023 10:21 AM CDT
Bush Will Throw First Pitch in Game 1
This will be the first pitch before a World Series opener for former president, Rangers owner
- Former president and former Rangers owner George W. Bush will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Texas plays the Arizona Diamondbacks in the World Series opener on Friday night. This will be Bush's fourth World Series ceremonial first pitch but his first before an opener, the AP reports....
This World Series
Oct 25, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
This World Series Matchup Was Very Unlikely
And yet here we are: Diamondbacks will play Rangers, starting Friday
- Tell the truth: How many people picked Arizona and Texas to meet in the World Series? A Rangers-Diamondbacks matchup had 1,750 to 1 odds when wagering opened last fall. But in an era when 12 teams make the playoffs, sustained excellence over the six-month regular season has become a...
More Than 1M Fans
Celebrate in Houston
Nov 7, 2022 6:15 PM CST
More Than 1M Fans Celebrate in Houston
Ted Cruz was hit by a beer can
- An estimated crowd of more than 1 million fans celebrated the Houston Astros' World Series win with a downtown parade Monday. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner had encouraged fans coming to the victory parade to "arrive early, wear Astros' colors, be loud and celebrate safely." The parade, which started...
Rounding Second, 'I Felt
the Whole Stadium Moving'
Nov 6, 2022 6:41 AM CST
Rounding Second, 'I Felt the Whole Stadium Moving'
Watch the big home run from Yordan Alvarez of the Astros to help his team win the World Series
- The Houston Astros are the new world champs , and a dramatic moment in the sixth inning of Saturday night's decisive World Series game is a big reason why. With the Astros trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the 6th, Yordan Alvarez crushed a three-run home run 450 feet to...
Houston Astros Win First
World Series Since
Nov 5, 2022 10:48 PM CDT
Houston Astros Win First World Series Since Cheating Scandal
They beat the Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in game 6
- Yordan Alvarez hit a towering go-ahead homer and the Houston Astros clinched their second World Series title in six seasons, snagging Dusty Baker his first crown as a manager with a 4-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6 on Saturday night, the AP reports. As Alvarez's 450-foot...
Verlander Gets First
World Series Win as
Astros Take Lead
Nov 4, 2022 4:06 AM CDT
Verlander Gets First World Series Win as Astros Take Lead
They beat Phillies 3-2 in Game 5
- Justin Verlander beamed like a first-time big leaguer, and the Houston Astros feted the 244-game winner like a baby-faced rookie. "They put me in the cart and rolled me in the shower and just doused me with all sorts of stuff," the pitcher said. "And it was...
Pitch 2nd No-Hitter
in World Series History
Nov 3, 2022 4:12 AM CDT
Javier, Astros Pitch 2nd No-Hitter in World Series History
Series is tied after 5-0 win over Phillies
- Hammered the night before, Cristian Javier and the Houston Astros desperately needed to figure how to keep Bryce Harper and the Phillies in the ballpark. How about a no-hitter, would that do? Javier and Houston's bullpen combined on just the second no-hitter in World Series history, silencing a booming...
If the Astros Win It All, He'll
Win a Staggering Amount
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 AM CDT
If the Astros Win It All, He'll Win a Staggering Amount
Jim McIngvale could walk away with the largest payout on a single legal sports bet
- The Phillies are up 2-1 in the World Series, and there's probably one American who's hoping more than most that the tides change: a prolific Texas gambler with a knack for attention-getting bets, who stands to win nearly $75 million if the Houston Astros win the World Series....
Baker: One Thing About
World Series 'Looks Bad'
Oct 27, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Baker: One Thing About World Series 'Looks Bad'
Neither team expects to have a US-born Black player on its roster
- In 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first Black baseball player to compete in a World Series. Every World Series since then except the one in 1950 has included at least one US-born Black player. That streak is about to end, CBS Sports reports. The Houston Astros have Jose Altuve, who'...
Phillies World Series Tickets
Now Cost an Average of $3.2K
Oct 25, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Phillies World Series Tickets Now Cost an Average of $3.2K
Ticket reseller says only higher average price on record was for the Cubs in 2016
- The Philadelphia Phillies will take on the Houston Astros in this year's World Series —and while this is the Astros' fourth World Series since 2017, it's the first for the Phillies since 2009, and demand for tickets is red-hot. CNBC reports that according to reseller TicketIQ, the...
We Have a New
World Series Matchup
Oct 24, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
We Have a New World Series Matchup
Houston and Philly will meet in baseball's big game
- Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber breaking the Bank in Philly. Yordan Alvarez launching moonshots in H-Town. Dusty Baker trying for a most elusive win. Justin Verlander, too. A fired-up Harper and All-Stars JT Realmuto and Zack Wheeler, stepping onto baseball's biggest platform for the first time. Yo! The Philadelphia...
Atlanta Braves Win First
World Series Since 1995
Nov 2, 2021 10:49 PM CDT
Atlanta Braves Win First World Series Since 1995
Beating the Houston Astros in Game 6
- Most of the season, it just seemed this wasn’t their year. They dropped their first four games, and soon injuries piled up. They lost their most dynamic player before the All-Star break. They were stuck below .500 in August. Yet out of nowhere, suddenly, these Atlanta Braves transformed themselves...
'Blows My Mind'
Oct 27, 2021 9:31 AM CDT
Braves Pitcher's Injured Move 'Blows My Mind'
Charlie Morton kept pitching on broken leg in Game 1 of the World Series
- Charlie Morton spun a curveball past Jose Altuve for a called third strike, his 16th pitch after taking a 102mph comebacker off his right leg. Morton stumbled and started to fall. Turns out the leg was broken. Morton's right fibula was fractured by Yuli Gurriel's one-hop screamer leading...
MLB Confirms Infected
Player 'Refused to Comply'
Oct 29, 2020 1:43 AM CDT
MLB Confirms Infected Player 'Refused to Comply'
Justin Turner violated MLB coronavirus protocols, league says
- Justin Turner's maskless celebration on the field after the Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series—just two innings after he was pulled from the game due to his coronavirus test coming back positive—was in clear disregard of Major League Baseball's COVID-19 protocols, the league says in...
Dodgers' Player With COVID
Celebrates, Maskless at Times
Oct 28, 2020 8:13 AM CDT
Dodgers' Player With COVID Celebrates, Maskless at Times
LA Dodgers' third baseman Justin Turner went back onto the field
- The good news for the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night: They won the World Series . The bad news: Third baseman Justin Turner was yanked midway through the game against the Tampa Bay Rays because his COVID-19 test came up positive.
reports that Turner was taken out at...
They're World Series Winners
for the First Time Since 1988
Oct 28, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
They're World Series Winners for the First Time Since 1988
LA Dodgers beat Tampa Bay Rays 3-1 in Game 6
- Mookie Betts streaked home with a go-ahead run and later homered for good measure as the Los Angeles Dodgers won their first World Series championship since 1988, taking advantage of a hotly debated Tampa Bay move to beat the Rays 3-1 in Game 6. The Dodgers posted the best record...
World Series Tied 1-1
Oct 22, 2020 12:33 AM CDT
World Series Tied 1-1
Tampa Bay Rays beat Los Angeles Dodgers 6-4
- Brandon Lowe busted out early and Tampa Bay’s bullpen hung on late. Rays and Dodgers, tied in Texas. Lowe shook loose from his extended postseason slump with two opposite-field home runs, and Tampa Bay held off Los Angeles 6-4 on Wednesday night to square the World Series at one...
World Series Opener Had
Smallest Crowd in 111 Years
Oct 21, 2020 4:49 PM CDT
World Series Opener Had Smallest Crowd in 111 Years
Stadium was limited to 28% of capacity
- A crowd of 11,388 attended the Los Angeles Dodgers' 8-3 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in Tuesday night's World Series opener in Arlington, Texas, spread in groups of up to four, mostly in alternate rows and none directly behind each other among the forest green seats. That...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.