Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
DOJ: Assange Was
on an International
Jun 25, 2020 7:07 AM CDT
DOJ: Assange Was on an International Hacking Mission
New indictment says WikiLeaks founder tried to recruit hackers in Europe, Asia
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange sought to recruit hackers at conferences in Europe and Asia who could provide his anti-secrecy website with classified info, and conspired with members of hacking groups, per a new Justice Department indictment Wednesday. The superseding indictment doesn't contain additional charges beyond the 18 counts the...
Free on Bail
Jun 1, 2020 4:33 PM CDT
Australians Want Assange Free on Bail
WikiLeaks founder skips court hearing
- Julian Assange refused to attend a court hearing Monday in England, even as a group of Australian lawmakers, journalists and human rights advocates pushed for him to be released on bail. A judge in London said an email from the prison where the WikiLeaks founder is being held said that...
Stone to Assange:
'I'll Bring Down the
Entire House of Cards'
Apr 29, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Stone to Assange: 'I'll Bring Down the Entire House of Cards'
Documents reveal 2017 communications, 2016 political influence campaign
- President Trump's associate Roger Stone used hundreds of fake Facebook accounts to push stories related to Russia and WikiLeaks around the 2016 election, while keeping in contact with Julian Assange, according to former special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators. One of dozens of search warrants unsealed Tuesday indicates Stone...
Woman Reveals Her
Julian Assange Secret
Apr 12, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Woman Reveals Her Julian Assange Secret
Stella Morris says they had 2 children together
- Looks like Julian Assange had a secret life in the Ecuadorian Embassy. A woman claims in a new video that she had two children with the WikiLeaks founder as he hid in the embassy in London, the
reports. "I love Julian deeply and I am looking forward...
Stay in Jail
Mar 25, 2020 2:33 PM CDT
Judge to Assange: You Must Stay in Jail
His lawyers asked for bail because of the coronavirus
- Julian Assange has a long wait ahead of him while a court decides whether he will be extradited to the US, and it looks like he will have to endure that wait behind bars. A London judge on Wednesday rejected his attorney's request for bail related to the coronavirus...
Mar 12, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Judge Orders Chelsea Manning Freed
Grand jury that subpoenaed her testimony no longer exists
- A federal judge on Thursday ordered the release of former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning, who has been incarcerated since May for refusing to testify to a grand jury. US District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered Manning's release from jail after prosecutors reported that the grand jury that subpoenaed her...
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped
Him Twice on Day One
Feb 25, 2020 1:23 PM CST
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped Him Twice on Day One
Attorney says client is being mistreated as extradition hearing continues
- A lawyer for Julian Assange complained Tuesday that the WikiLeaks founder was handcuffed 11 times, stripped naked twice, and had court papers taken away on the first day of a hearing on his extradition to the United States, per the AP . Attorney Edward Fitzgerald told a judge that the treatment...
US at Assange Hearing: He's
a Criminal, Not a Journalist
Feb 24, 2020 6:33 AM CST
US at Assange Hearing: He's a Criminal, Not a Journalist
Extradition hearing is underway in Britain
- The question of whether Julian Assange will have to face criminal charges in the US that could leave him imprisoned for life is now being debated in a British court. Opening arguments in Assange's extradition hearing in London have begun, with the US laying out its case, reports the...
Yeah, I Talked to
Assange About a Pardon
Feb 20, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Ex-Congressman: Yeah, I Talked to Assange About a Pardon
But Rohrabacher says Trump had nothing to do with it
- Former GOP congressman Dana Rohrabacher tells Yahoo News in a new interview that, yes, he did talk to Julian Assange about getting the WikiLeaks founder a presidential pardon if Assange said that Russia was not responsible for the DNC email leak . However, he says he never actually spoke to President...
Assange's Lawyer Makes
Explosive Claim Involving Trump
Feb 19, 2020 3:48 PM CST
Assange's Lawyer Makes Explosive Claim Involving Trump
Alleges Trump offered him a pardon if he'd say Russia had no hand in DNC email leak
- Julian Assange's extradition hearing begins on Monday, but an explosive claim was heard in a pre-trial hearing Wednesday in London: that Assange was in August 2017 allegedly offered a pardon by President Trump if he would say Russia had no role in the leak of DNC emails, which WikiLeaks...
Is Doing Better: Rep
Feb 18, 2020 6:57 PM CST
Julian Assange Is Doing Better: Rep
WikiLeaks founder has been moved out of solitary confinement
- A month and a half after Julian Assange said he was "slowly dying" inside a London prison, the WikiLeaks founder's spokesperson says Assange is doing better. He's been moved from solitary confinement, the rep says, per Reuters : "I saw him about 10 days ago—he has...
Assange: I'm 'Slowly Dying'
Jan 1, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Assange: I'm 'Slowly Dying'
Vaughan Smith describes his call with the Wikileaks founder
- Julian Assange says he's "slowly dying" behind bars, where he might be stuck in solitary confinement. British journalist and ex-Army officer Vaughan Smith, a friend of Assange, said as much after talking to the Wikileaks founder: "He said to me, 'I'm slowly dying here,'...
60 Doctors Say Assange's
Medical Situation Is Dire
Nov 25, 2019 8:27 AM CST
60 Doctors Say Assange's Medical Situation Is Dire
They want him moved to a hospital for an assessment
- In May, Julian Assange's attorney said the WikiLeaks founder was "far from well," so much so that he wasn't healthy enough to make court appearances via video link. Six months later, some 60-plus doctors are making an even more dire pronouncement. In a 16-page open letter...
Good News for
Nov 19, 2019 8:49 AM CST
Finally Some Good News for Julian Assange
Rape case in Sweden is dropped
- Prosecutors in Sweden are no longer pursuing a rape case against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, whose 50-week sentence in a British prison came as a result of the allegation. The decision to drop the case came after seven witnesses were interviewed, reports the BBC . Though it described the alleged victim...
Oct 21, 2019 12:22 PM CDT
Assange Seems 'Confused' at Hearing
Judge denies request to push back his trial
- Julian Assange appeared, in Reuters ' words, "confused" Monday during an extradition hearing in a London courtroom. The 48-year-old WikiLeaks founder "mumbled and stuttered for several seconds as he gave his name and date of birth," the news outlet says; later, when the judge asked him whether...
CNN Report Fuels Questions
About Assange's Meetings
Jul 17, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
CNN Report Fuels Questions About Assange's Meetings
Records show he met with Russians; did he know who he was meeting with?
- The former president of Ecuador who allowed Julian Assange to take refuge in the country's London embassy has admitted that the country's guest meddled in the United States' 2016 election. "We did notice that he was interfering in the elections and we do not allow that because...
Assange Extradition Hearing
Is Slated for 2020
Jun 14, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Assange Extradition Hearing Is Slated for 2020
It's expected to last 5 days, beginning Feb. 25
- Anyone placing bets on whether Julian Assange will be extradited to the US won't see a windfall or have to pay up until 2020. On Friday it was decided in Westminster Magistrates' Court that a full extradition hearing would take place beginning Feb. 25, 2020. The BBC reports it...
Bad News for Assange
on US Extradition Order
Jun 13, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Bad News for Assange on US Extradition Order
Britain's home secretary signs off on it, and now it's up to the courts
- When Julian Assange was arrested in April, he could be heard shouting that the US had no right to demand his extradition. He did not convince British authorities. Home Secretary Sajid Javid said Thursday that he has signed off on the US extradition order, reports the
. However, this does...
UN Expert: Assange Shows
Signs of 'Psychological Torture'
May 31, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
UN Expert: Assange Shows Signs of 'Psychological Torture'
Nils Melzer argues against his extradition to US
- Julian Assange's human rights might be violated if he's extradited to the US, according to a UN expert who says the WikiLeaks founder "shows all the signs that are typical for person who has prolonged exposure to psychological torture." Nils Melzer, UN special rapporteur on torture,...
Lawyer: Assange Too Ill
for Court Appearance
May 30, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
Lawyer: Assange Too Ill for Court Appearance
WikiLeaks expresses 'grave concerns' over founder's health
- The legal fight on whether Julian Assange will be extradited to the US continues, but Assange himself is not present for it. His lawyer says he is too sick even for court appearances via video link, while WikiLeaks has expressed "grave concerns" about his health. “He’s...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.