Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lawyer: LAPD Officer
Was 'Beaten to Death'
Jun 28, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Lawyer: LAPD Officer Was 'Beaten to Death' During Training
Houston Tipping died after exercise intended to simulate mob attack
- The Los Angeles Police Department is being accused of using excessive force against one of its own officers during a training exercise last month, leading to the man's death. Shirley Huffman, mother of Houston Tipping, has filed a wrongful-death claim against the city, alleging assault and violations of her...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
'People Should Not Drive Teslas Over My House'
Tesla police name TikTok star as person of interest in car stunt
The LAPD may have their man. Police have named TikTok star Dominykas Zeglaitis as a "person of interest" in a Tesla stunt that resulted in what they consider to be a hit-and-run crash, reports
. One big reason: Zeglaitis (@dominykas) has been claiming credit for the airborne...
LAPD Over Gunpoint Stop
Mar 18, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Driver Sues LAPD Over Gunpoint Stop
Ernest Simon Jr. alleges 'racial animus,' seeks $20M
- A driver on the set of
was held at gunpoint for 20 minutes by Los Angeles police officers in a racially motivated incident exactly one year ago, according to a federal lawsuit demanding $20 million in damages and a jury trial. Disney employee Ernest Simon Jr. feared...
Lawsuit: Calif. Woman
Held for 13 Days After
Case of Mistaken Identity
Feb 24, 2022 4:09 AM CST
Lawsuit: Calif. Woman Held for 13 Days After Case of Mistaken Identity
Bethany Farber was stopped at LAX because she had same name as wanted woman
- California woman Bethany Farber is suing the Los Angeles Police Department, saying they wrongfully detained her for 13 days—including three days after they allegedly realized they had the wrong Bethany Farber. The 30-year-old aesthetician says her nightmarish experience began in April last year, when she was detained at Los...
Robbery in Progress, Cops
Opted to Play Pokemon Go
Jan 11, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Robbery in Progress, Cops Opted to Play Pokemon Go
Fired LAPD officers, caught playing on dashcam instead of responding to a call, lose appeal
- A California judge has refused to reinstate two former Los Angeles police officers who chose to play Pokemon Go rather than respond to a robbery in progress. The officers, Louis Lozano and Eric Mitchell, had ignored a commanding officer's request for backup during a robbery at the Crenshaw Mall...
LAPD Officer Who
Shot, Killed Teen
Dec 30, 2021 12:23 AM CST
LAPD Officer Who Shot, Killed Teen Girl Identified
Though the department hasn't formally IDed him
The Los Angeles Police Department officer who fired on an assault suspect at a North Hollywood department store and accidentally killed a 14-year-old girl has been identified. Two sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that William Dorsey Jones Jr., who is currently on paid leave, is the officer. Journalist...
George Holliday, Who Filmed
King Beating, Dies of COVID
Sep 21, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
George Holliday, Who Filmed King Beating, Dies of COVID
LA plumber never made much money from his Rodney King footage
- Around 30 years ago, George Holliday woke up after midnight to a ruckus outside his bedroom window, grabbed his brand new video camera, and caught four Los Angeles Police officers beating Rodney King. The next day, curious what had happened, he called the police to find out what happened, learned...
Cops Kill Suspect After
LA Shooting Rampage
Apr 27, 2021 7:06 PM CDT
Cops Kill Suspect After LA Shooting Rampage
Police say victims included Uber driver, newlywed
- The Los Angeles Police Department says a suspect believed to have killed two people and injured a third in a drive-by shooting rampage was shot dead Tuesday morning after an hourslong chase. Police say the suspect, a man in his late 40s or early 50s, injured a driver near the...
Wounded Inside Station
Sep 27, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
LAPD Officer Wounded Inside Station
Suspect in custody
- A police officer was hurt in a shooting at a Los Angeles police station late Saturday, and a suspect is in custody, reports the AP . The Los Angeles Police Department said in a series of tweets that the shooting occurred at its Harbor Station. The officer was taken to a...
Young LAPD 'Top Shot' Under
Scrutiny After Fatal Shooting
Jul 21, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Young LAPD 'Top Shot' Under Scrutiny After Fatal Shooting
Officer Toni McBride, 23, has been sued by the family of Daniel Hernandez
- Another fatal police shooting is getting attention, this one involving the Los Angeles Police Department. It happened on April 22, before the death of George Floyd, but it is now getting renewed interest from the Black Lives Matter movement—in part because of the officer's social media presence prior...
LA Slashes Police Budget
Jul 2, 2020 3:50 AM CDT
LA Slashes Police Budget
Funds earmarked for LAPD overtime will be used for youth summer jobs program
- City leaders voted Wednesday to slash the Los Angeles Police Department budget by $150 million, reducing the number of officers to a level not seen for more than a decade amid nationwide demands to shift money away from law enforcement agencies during America's reckoning over police brutality and racial...
Police Go on 'Wild Ride'
After Stolen Casket
Feb 29, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Police Go on 'Wild Ride' After Stolen Casket
James Juarez was taken into custody after Thursday chase in Los Angeles
- It has all the hallmarks of an only-in-Los Angeles crime: A thief stole a hearse—with a body inside—then went on a wild ride, ending with a chase and a crash on a busy freeway, the AP reports. Authorities say they found the body undisturbed inside a casket Thursday...
Cop's Bodycam Was Reviewed
at Random. Now, an Arrest
Dec 13, 2019 6:50 AM CST
Cop's Bodycam Was Reviewed at Random. Now, an Arrest
LAPD officer David Rojas is accused of fondling a corpse
- An "extremely disturbing" allegation against an LAPD officer has now led to an arrest. Per the
Los Angeles Times
and CBS Los Angeles , David Rojas, 27, was taken into custody Thursday and charged with one felony count of having sexual contact with human remains without authority. The move comes...
More and More
Dec 4, 2019 10:25 AM CST
More and More Cops Carrying Batman-Style Tether
BolaWrap designed to wrap up suspect's arms or legs
- Police departments across the country are adopting a nonlethal device that would look right at home on Batman's belt. The hand-held BolaWrap 100 from Wrap Technologies dispenses an 8-foot-long barbed Kevlar cord designed to wrap up a person up to 25 feet away, similar to Batman's trusty tether...
LAPD: Bodycam Shows
Interaction With Corpse
Dec 4, 2019 8:40 AM CST
LAPD: Bodycam Shows Cop's 'Disturbing' Interaction With Corpse
Officer being investigated for allegedly fondling a dead woman
- A police officer with the LAPD is under investigation after footage from his bodycam led to what the police union calls an "extremely disturbing" allegation. Per officials who spoke to the
Los Angeles Times
, the officer and his partner turned up at a residential unit on an unspecified date...
Cops Share Video
of Possible Kidnapping
Nov 15, 2019 10:10 AM CST
Cops Share Video of Possible Kidnapping
Doorbell camera records woman's screams from car
- A doorbell camera may have captured a kidnapping in Los Angeles. At the very least, the Ring camera attached to a home in the Leimert Park neighborhood recorded a woman's screams as she was whisked away in a speeding car around 11:20pm Tuesday, reports
. "Help me,...
A Job Ad
Causes a Fuss
Sep 30, 2019 8:41 AM CDT
A Job Ad on Breitbart Causes a Fuss
LAPD chief wondered if it was a spoof to 'discredit' department
- "Choose your future. LAPD is hiring!" The ad itself certainly isn't offensive—but the Los Angeles Police Department indicated the placement of it was. The department launched an inquiry over the weekend after being asked about the recruitment ad's appearance on Breitbart, a right-wing website that...
Cops: Man Killed 4
in California Rampage
Jul 26, 2019 2:27 AM CDT
Cops: Man Killed 4 in California Rampage
Victims include suspect's father, brother
- A 26-year-old man is in custody after a rampage spanning the San Fernando Valley that killed four people and injured at least two others, police say. Hundreds of LAPD officers were involved in the search for Gerry Dean Zaragoza, who was taken into custody Thursday afternoon, more than 12 hours...
Jul 1, 2019 6:30 PM CDT
LAPD Starts Internal Affairs Probe
Witness to rapper's slaying was turned away at police station
- The Los Angeles Police Department has opened an internal affairs investigation into a front desk officer's response in the aftermath of rapper Nipsey Hussle's slaying. The department's Office of the Inspector General confirmed Monday an investigation was underway, the AP reports. Grand jury testimony shows the woman...
She Heard the Crash, Ran to
the Door, Was Killed by Police
Jul 24, 2018 12:27 PM CDT
She Heard the Crash, Ran to the Door, Was Killed by Police
'I am truly sorry,' LAPD chief says of Melyda Corado's death
- Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore had the toughest of jobs Tuesday: to announce that the Trader Joe's employee killed during a shootout in Los Angeles on Saturday lost her life to a bullet fired by police, not the suspect. "I am truly sorry," Moore said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.