Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lizzo Makes Legal Push
Against Dancers' Allegations
Sep 30, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Lizzo Makes Legal Push Against Dancers' Allegations
Singer asks judge to dismiss 'ridiculous' lawsuit on alleged toxic workplace, sexual harassment
- Lizzo has called accusations by three dancers that she created a toxic workplace "unbelievable." Now, the singer has asked a judge to dismiss what her legal team calls a "ridiculous" lawsuit by those ex-employees, per NBC News . "This is the first step of a legal process...
Sep 26, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Is Suing Rudy Giuliani
President's son says Giuliani broke the law by hacking computer data
- First, Hunter Biden sued the IRS for breaching his privacy. Now he's going after Rudy Giuliani with the same accusation. The president's son, embroiled in serious legal trouble of his own, has filed suit against Guiliani and his former attorney for what he calls the "total annihilation"...
Minute Maid Has a Fight on
Its Hands Over 'Healthy' Label
Sep 22, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Minute Maid Has a Fight on Its Hands Over 'Healthy' Label
Parent company Coca-Cola wants class action lawsuit alleging deceptive marketing dismissed
- Minute Maid parent company Coca-Cola fought Thursday to dismiss a class action lawsuit alleging the labeling of six-ounce juice boxes as "good for you" and "part of a healthy, balanced diet" is a deception. Plaintiff Gary Reynolds filed suit in March, stating whole fruit pictured on Minute Maid...
Murder to Get
Sep 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Pair Wrongfully Convicted of Murder to Get $25M Payout
Connecticut settlement involves forensic expert Henry Lee, accused of fabricating evidence
- Connecticut's attorney general has agreed to a $25.2 million settlement with two men who spent decades in prison for murder, based partly on evidence presented by famed forensic scientist Henry Lee that a judge later found was fabricated. Ralph "Ricky" Birch and Shawn Henning were convicted in...
Big-Name Authors Sue
OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
Sep 21, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Big-Name Authors Sue OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
John Grisham, George RR Martin join lawsuit alleging pirated works helped train ChatGPT
- A new group of authors is suing OpenAI, alleging "flagrant and harmful infringements" on their copyrights through the company's use of pirated books to train the AI chatbot ChatGPT. "At the heart of these algorithms is systematic theft on a mass scale," reads the complaint, filed...
Shifts to West Point
Sep 20, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
Race-in-Admissions Battle Shifts to West Point
Group sues to end Supreme Court's exception to its June ruling for service academies
- When Chief Justice John Roberts wrote this summer in the Supreme Court decision against including race as a factor in college admissions that the ruling did not apply to military academies, the winning side noticed. On Tuesday, Students for Fair Admissions sued the US Military Academy at West Point in...
McDonald's Sued in
Another Hot Coffee Case
Sep 20, 2023 2:43 PM CDT
McDonald's Sued in Another Hot Coffee Case
85-year-old woman says workers ignored her after she suffered severe burns
- An 85-year-old woman in San Francisco has filed the latest hot-coffee lawsuit against McDonald's, saying she suffered "severe burns and emotional distress" after buying coffee at a drive-through in June. Mabel Childress says the lid wasn't properly sealed and the coffee spilled on her when she tried...
Say He Owes
Sep 19, 2023 1:52 AM CDT
Rudy Giuliani's Ex-Lawyers Sue, Say He Owes Them $1.3M
Giuliani's financial troubles continue to mount
- Rudy Giuliani's former attorneys say he owes them more than $1.3 million, and they're suing him to get it. Davidoff Hutcher & Citron, a law firm that has recently represented Giuliani amid his various legal troubles, says Giuliani has so far paid only $214,000 of his...
Over Ohio Girl
Who Got Abortion
Sep 18, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Indiana AG Sues Hospital Over Ohio Girl Who Got Abortion
Todd Rokita says IU Health violated privacy laws when doctor spoke about case publicly
- Indiana's attorney general has sued the state's largest hospital system, claiming it violated patient privacy laws when a doctor publicly shared the story of an Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana for an abortion. The lawsuit, filed Friday in Indianapolis federal court, marked Attorney General Todd Rokita's...
Hunter Biden Sues
the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Sep 18, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Hunter Biden Sues the IRS Over Tax Reveals
Complaint by president's son alleges 2 whistleblower agents violated his privacy
- Just days after Hunter Biden was indicted on federal firearms charges, the president's son is pushing back on separate allegations about his taxes with a lawsuit against the IRS. The AP reports that Biden filed his complaint Monday, accusing two whistleblower IRS agents, Gary Shapley and Joseph Ziegler, of...
Instead of Trip to Italy, Teens
Got an 'Unpleasant Surprise'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Instead of Trip to Italy, Teens Got an 'Unpleasant Surprise'
Suit claims supposed agent never booked NJ seniors' vacation, despite them paying in advance
- Seniors from a New Jersey high school showed up at Newark Liberty International Airport on June 26, ready to fly overseas for a "Jewels of Italy" trip before heading off to jobs and college. Instead, they got what the Daily Beast calls a most "unpleasant surprise": the discovery...
Ole Miss Player Sues
Coach, School for $40M
Sep 15, 2023 8:16 AM CDT
Ole Miss Player Sues Coach, School for $40M
DeSanto Rollins says football coach Lane Kiffin verbally abused him during mental health crisis
- Ole Miss defensive tackle DeSanto Rollins is suing the university and head football coach Lane Kiffin, alleging his rights were violated during a mental health crisis. In a lawsuit filed Thursday, Rollins claims he was kicked off the team for a "mental impairment," in violation of the Americans...
They Were Arrested at Sarah
Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Sep 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
They Were Arrested at Sarah Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Metropolitan Police to pay 'substantial damages' to 2 women who were mourning murdered UK woman
- Just days after the body of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer now serving a life sentence, was found in Kent, England, in March 2021, mourners were detained at a London vigil in her memory. Now, police there are apologizing for how two protesters in particular were treated, with...
Man Sues Hospital
Over His Lost Tumor
Sep 12, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Man Sues Hospital Over His Lost Tumor
Sample was supposed to be analyzed for cancer but was misplaced, per Seattle man's complaint
- After Jeremy Morton-Maxson had a tumor on his bladder removed at the University of Washington Medical Center-Northwest on Aug. 17, 2022, just two days after it was discovered, he felt a sense of urgency in finding out if it was cancerous, due to a family history of bladder cancer. After...
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in
25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Sep 12, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Largest Antitrust Trial in US in 25 Years Is About to Kick Off
Justice Department takes on Google over its search engine dominance
- Google will confront a threat to its dominant search engine beginning Tuesday when federal regulators launch an attempt to dismantle its internet empire in the biggest US antitrust trial in a quarter century. Over the next 10 weeks, federal lawyers and state attorneys general will try to prove Google rigged...
Mom's Suit: Peloton Bike
Instantly Killed My Son
Sep 9, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Mom's Suit: Peloton Bike Instantly Killed My Son
Death of NYC's Ryan Furtado, 32, may be first to be blamed on the brand's exercise bike
- A woman has filed a lawsuit against Peloton over the death of her son, who was killed when his exercise bike fell on his neck during a workout in his New York City apartment. Ryan Furtado, 32, was doing a workout in his Brooklyn apartment that involved getting off his...
Judge Tosses Suit Over
'Deceptive' Movie Trailer
Aug 30, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Suit Over 'Deceptive' Movie Trailer
Ana de Armas fans sued because her scenes were cut from 'Yesterday'
- The two Ana de Armas fans who sued Universal Pictures for its trailer for
won't get the $5 million they were seeking after they say they rented the film after being misled. The men had argued they paid $3.99 to do so because Armas appeared in the...
Hit With Another Lawsuit
Aug 30, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Kyle Rittenhouse Hit With Another Lawsuit
Estate of Joseph Rosenbaum blames Kenosha shooter, law enforcement for 'unjustifiable' death
- Kyle Rittenhouse is already being sued by the estate of one of the two men he fatally shot during a 2020 protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and by a third man he shot and wounded. Upon the third anniversary of the shooting, the lone holdout party is now taking legal action,...
Judge Says Lawsuit
Over 'Too Small'
Whoppers Can Proceed
Aug 29, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Judge Says Lawsuit Over 'Too Small' Whoppers Can Proceed
Suit claims Whoppers are lot more whopping in ads than they are in real life
- A federal judge in Miami has decided that it should be up to jurors to determine "what reasonable people think" about Burger King's in-store ads for the Whopper. US District Judge Roy Altman rejected Burger King's attempt to dismiss a proposed class-action suit from consumers who said...
3M to Pay Out $5.5B
Over Earplugs That
Didn't Work: Sources
Aug 28, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
3M to Pay Out $5.5B Over Earplugs That Didn't Work: Sources
Veterans say ear protection didn't actually protect
- In what is the largest mass tort in US history, hundreds of thousands of veterans took legal action against 3M, accusing the manufacturing company of producing earplugs that failed to protect them from hearing loss. Now, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
the two sides are getting close to a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.