Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
That Drive-Thru Order
May Contain More Than
You Bargained For
Mar 26, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
That Drive-Thru Order May Contain More Than You Bargained For
Consumer Reports finds excessive amounts of 'forever chemicals' in some fast-food wrappers
- You might want to dump those Mickey D's fries onto a plate as soon as you get home. Consumer Reports released an analysis Thursday on packaging at fast-food restaurants and supermarket chains, with a concerning find: Many of the wrappers that hold the fare we pick up at the...
Your New Grocery Store:
Panera Bread? Kind Of
Apr 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Your New Grocery Store: Panera Bread? Kind Of
Chain hopes to generate incremental revenue through sales of select grocery items
- When Panera Bread shifted to takeout and delivery only in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, half its business evaporated, says CEO Niren Chaudhary. This week starts an effort to get some of it back. CNBC reports that as of Monday consumers are able to order some groceries through "...
Krispy Kreme Owners
Do Something About
Dec 12, 2019 6:55 AM CST
Krispy Kreme Owners Do Something About 'Disgusting' Past
Reimann family to donate $5.5M to Holocaust survivors after discovery of past Nazi ties
- In March, it was reported that ancestors of the Reimann family—whose JAB Holding Co. owns a controlling stake in Krispy Kreme, Panera Bread, Pret a Manger, and other well-known brands—had used French POWs and Russian civilians as forced laborers under the Nazi regime. Now the family, one of...
Panera Worker Fired
After Mac and Cheese Video
Oct 14, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Panera Worker Fired After Mac and Cheese Video
Turns out Panera Bread freezes its macaroni and cheese
- A Panera Bread employee says she lost her job after she posted a video to social media service TikTok revealing that the restaurant chain freezes its macaroni and cheese. The video , captioned "exposing panera," is overlaid with the text "how panera prepares mac & cheese" and shows...
St. Louis Bagel 'Secret'
Shakes Up the Internet
Mar 28, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
St. Louis Bagel 'Secret' Shakes Up the Internet
Apparently people in the city like them sliced 'bread style'
- St. Louis slices its bagels HOW?! A minor scandal has engulfed the internet thanks to this tweet from NOAA employee Alek Krautmann, who said he had recently introduced his co-workers to the "St. Louis secret" way of ordering bagels: "bread sliced." Accompanying the tweet was a photo...
Researcher Spots Huge Holes
in Panera's Online Security
Apr 3, 2018 2:41 AM CDT
Researcher Spots Huge Holes in Panera's Online Security
Up to 37M customer records may have been exposed
- Being light, airy, and full of holes is a good quality in an English muffin. Unfortunately for Panera Bread, their online security system seems to have similar attributes, According to the KrebsOnSecurity blog, a data breach may have exposed as many as 37 million customer records at the bakery chain...
FBI Traces Racist Threat
to Panera Bread WiFi for Arrest
Oct 5, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
FBI Traces Racist Threat to Panera Bread WiFi for Arrest
John Edgar Rust allegedly threatened to kill black students at Howard University
- The FBI has arrested a white man in his mid-20s who allegedly threatened to kill black students at Howard University two years ago, and the investigation involved a nifty bit of internet sleuthing. Agents first traced the threat posted on Reddit and 4chan to the wireless internet at a Panera...
When It Comes to Service,
McDonald's Isn't No. 1
Jul 28, 2017 9:43 AM CDT
When It Comes to Service, McDonald's Isn't No. 1
Survey finds McDonald's is dead last; Chick-fil-A comes out on top
- The fast-food industry may not be heralded for Michelin-rated fare, but chains can earn loyalty through the customer service they offer, ensuring consumers keep coming back for their burgers, tacos, and pizzas. And per 24/7 Wall St. , fast-food restaurants bested full-service restaurants for the first time ever on this year'...
Panera Gets a New,
Apr 5, 2017 10:29 AM CDT
Panera Gets a New, Big-Name Owner
Chain is scooped up by JAB, owner of Krispy Kreme
- Panera, meet Krispy Kreme. The sandwich-and-soup chain Panera is being acquired by Europe's JAB Holding for more than $7 billion, reports the AP . JAB is better known for the growing stable of brands it owns or has a big stake in, including Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee,...
2 Deputies Killed
After Man Opens
Fire Inside Busy
Feb 10, 2016 6:02 PM CST
2 Deputies Killed After Man Opens Fire Inside Busy Panera Bread
The suspect was also killed
- Two sheriff's deputies are dead after a man opened fire in a busy Panera Bread during lunchtime Wednesday in Maryland, Fox News reports. According to the
, a deputy was called to the restaurant because a man was acting suspiciously. Fifteen-year-old Sophia Faulkner, who had decided against sitting...
150 Artificial Ingredients
May 5, 2015 8:07 AM CDT
Panera Ditching 150 Artificial Ingredients
Chain draws 'line in the sand'
- If you've become accustomed to caprocaprylobehenin in your Panera meals, get unaccustomed. The casual-eating chain announced yesterday it's cutting that artificial ingredient and some 150 others (out of some 465 ingredients currently used) from its menu by the end of 2016 in response to consumer demand, the
Is Eating on
$4.50 a Day
for a Week
Sep 17, 2013 9:12 AM CDT
Panera CEO Is Eating on $4.50 a Day for a Week
Ron Shaich says he can't stop thinking about food
- Panera Bread CEO Ron Shaich is very hungry. "I can't stop thinking about food," he wrote on his LinkedIn blog yesterday. That's because he was on day 4 of a weeklong challenge to eat on just $4.50 per day. He's doing it to raise...
May 17, 2011 5:37 PM CDT
Panera Scores With Pay-What- You-Want Branch
Experiment shows 'people are fundamentally good': founder
- Last May, Panera Bread turned a St. Louis-area cafe into a nonprofit branch , where customers pay what they choose. A year later, the experiment is working out fine, the AP reports: Some 60% of customers pay the suggested price, while 20% pay more and 20% pay less. It’s the...
At This Bakery, Customers Pay What They Want
May 18, 2010 5:44 PM CDT
At This Bakery, Customers Pay What They Want
Panera turns location in St. Louis into non-profit for charity
- Panera Bread has switched one of its St. Louis stores to a non-profit business model. Customers pay what they want, menus have only suggested prices, and money goes into donation jars instead of cash registers. The store will donate any profits to community organizations,
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports. Those unable...
Panera Will Post
Mar 10, 2010 1:27 PM CST
Panera Will Post Calorie Counts
Gets the jump on potential calorie posting law
- Panera Bread customers around the country soon will be able to tally calories for their smokehouse turkey panini and broccoli cheddar soup with just a glance at the menu board. The firm announced today that it will be the first nationwide chain to voluntarily post calorie information at all of...
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.