Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Heat Sickens Hundreds
at World Scout Jamboree
Aug 4, 2023 9:34 AM CDT
Heat Sickens Hundreds at World Scout Jamboree
12-day event is being held in 'vast treeless area' in South Korea
- The first World Scout Jamboree since the pandemic is being held amid South Korea's hottest summer in years—and the on-site hospital has been very busy. The
reports that 138 people were treated for heat-related illness on Thursday alone, bringing the total to more than 700 in the...
Upheld in Court
Mar 28, 2023 2:42 PM CDT
Boy Scouts' Bankruptcy Plan Upheld in Court
Opponents argued that $2.4B deal stripped abuse survivors of their rights
- A federal district court judge has upheld the approval of a $2.4 billion bankruptcy reorganization plan aimed at resolving tens of thousands of child sexual abuse claims against the Boy Scouts of America. The ruling docketed Tuesday rejects arguments by non-settling insurance companies and attorneys representing dissenting abuse survivors...
Boy Scout Troop's
Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mar 6, 2023 6:25 AM CST
Boy Scout Troop's Hike Ends in Tragedy
Mom of one of the Scouts is killed by falling tree in California's Rancho San Antonio County Park
- A Boy Scout troop's hike turned tragic over the weekend after a falling tree killed the mom of one of its members. Per NBC Bay Area and KPIX , the group from Sunnyvale was trekking through Rancho San Antonio County Park in Cupertino at around 10am on Sunday, in a...
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit
Arguing Branding Confusion
Apr 7, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Girl Scouts' Suit Arguing Branding Confusion
Boy Scouts can avoid gender references by using 'scouting,' ruling says
: The Girl Scouts have lost the legal argument that its brand and recruiting efforts have been damaged by the wording used by Boy Scouts in marketing. Because Boy Scouts are entitled to leave gender out of it by using "scouting" and similar terms, "there are no issues...
Boy Scouts Reach
in Bankruptcy Case
Jul 2, 2021 12:06 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Reach Pivotal Agreement in Bankruptcy Case
It would be one of the largest sums in US history involving sexual abuse cases
- The Boy Scouts of America have reached an $850 million agreement with attorneys representing some 60,000 victims of child sex abuse in what could prove to be a pivotal moment in the organization’s bankruptcy case, the AP reports. The settlement would mark one of the largest sums in...
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable'
Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Mar 3, 2021 8:41 AM CST
Boy Scouts Plan 'Unthinkable' Move to Pay Abuse Claims
Group says it will sell the nearly 60 paintings it owns by Norman Rockwell
- The Boy Scouts of America this week proposed establishing a fund of at least $300 million that would be used to settle the more than 80,000 sex-abuse claims it faces. An attorney for 1,000 of those alleged victims called that amount "chump change" in comments to CNN...
Boy Scouts Welcome
First Female Eagle Scouts
Feb 20, 2021 3:05 PM CST
Boy Scouts Welcome First Female Eagle Scouts
Nearly 1,000 young women have attained the rank
- Growing up in Minneapolis, Isabella Tunney followed the progress of her older brother with admiration and occasional envy as he worked toward earning the Boy Scouts' prestigious rank of Eagle Scout. This weekend, at age 16, Tunney will be one of nearly 1,000 girls and young women honored by...
Badge Inspired by
Black Lives Matter
Jun 17, 2020 8:03 AM CDT
Scouts' Latest Badge Inspired by Black Lives Matter
You'll now need to earn a diversity and inclusion badge to ascend to Eagle Scout status
- Becoming an Eagle Scout, an elite rank within the Boy Scouts, requires time, effort, tenacity—and now, a new merit badge inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. The Boy Scouts of America announced Monday that those who wish to attain Eagle Scout status must now earn a "diversity...
Boy Scouts of America
Files for Bankruptcy
Feb 18, 2020 6:55 AM CST
Boy Scouts of America Files for Bankruptcy
Organization faced flood of sexual abuse lawsuits
- The Boy Scouts of America, fighting for survival amid a flood of sexual abuse lawsuits, has filed for bankruptcy protection. The Chapter 11 filing early Tuesday marks the start of what is expected to be one of the most complex bankruptcies in US history, lawyers tell NBC . Changes in statute-of-limitation...
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding
Aug 7, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
Suit: Boy Scouts Hiding 'Pedophilia Epidemic'
Lawyer group says it has 800 clients in the wings and has identified 350 new alleged abusers
- A lawsuit was filed Monday in Philly against the Boy Scouts of America on behalf of a man who says a Scout leader sexually abused him for years in the '70s, and the lawyer group that filed the complaint says there's new proof that the BSA tried to...
If It Wasn't for the Scouts,
They Wouldn't Have Survived
Jun 6, 2019 12:26 AM CDT
If It Wasn't for the Scouts, They Wouldn't Have Survived
Troop rescues 2 fisherman on remote lake
- Two brothers whose canoes capsized on a remote lake in Maine say a crew of fast-thinking Boy Scouts from New Hampshire helped save their lives. Michael Fiori, 67, of Brunswick, Maine, said he was shivering after more than an hour in the 50-degree Fahrenheit water when the Scouts, who were...
Hundreds of Men Join
Boy Scouts Lawsuit
May 27, 2019 11:14 AM CDT
Hundreds of Men Join Boy Scouts Lawsuit
But talking about what happened is still hard
- Sharing their stories doesn't come easily for these middle-aged men, the AP reports. At times, their eyes well up or their voices crack as they describe being sexually abused in the Boy Scouts and suffering from emotional damage long afterward. Looking back, they all remember vividly how excited they...
Teen Dies After
Boy Scouts Run
Out of Water
May 3, 2019 4:15 PM CDT
Teen Dies After Boy Scouts Run Out of Water
16-year-old showed signs of dehydration on hike
- A 16-year-old died on a Boy Scout hike in Arizona after the group ran out of water. The group hiked the 1,500-foot Picacho Peak last Saturday, officials said, and drank the last of its water at the top, the
reports. The boy reportedly showed signs of dehydration...
Lawyer: 7.8K Suspects Named
in Boy Scout 'Perversion Files'
Apr 24, 2019 4:35 AM CDT
Lawyer: 7.8K Suspects Named in Boy Scout 'Perversion Files'
He says expert found there were more than 12K victims
- The Boy Scouts of America "perversion files" contain the names of a staggering number of suspected pedophiles and their victims, an attorney revealed Tuesday. Jeff Anderson, who represents former Scouts who say they were abused, said an expert hired by the Scouts to audit the files on suspected abusers...
Girl Scouts to Boy Scouts: You
Have to Keep the Word 'Boy'
Nov 7, 2018 5:33 AM CST
Girl Scouts to Boy Scouts: You Have to Keep the Word 'Boy'
GSUSA claims trademark infringement in new suit over gender-neutral 'scouts'
- The Boy Scouts program will soon have a new name, and a more "inclusive nature" as it allows girls into its ranks, but its sister group is rankled over the whole rebrand. Per MarketWatch and
, a complaint filed by the Girl Scouts of the USA on Tuesday in...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
Jun 26, 2018 9:02 AM CDT
Tragedy Strikes Boy Scout Summer Camp
Teen killed after tree falls on tent
- The last week of a Boy Scout summer camp in Georgia ended in tragedy when a tree fell on a Texas teen's tent, killing him. The
reports the incident took place at the Bert Adams Boy Scout Camp in Covington, and that a weather alert had been...
New Mexico Wildfire Doubles
in Size, Threatens Village
Jun 2, 2018 12:30 PM CDT
New Mexico Wildfire Doubles in Size, Threatens Village
Meanwhile, California wildfire is officially extinguished
- A wildfire threatening a village in northern New Mexico has doubled in size to over 42 square miles as firefighters try to protect nearly 300 homes and a Boy Scouts camp, the AP reports. Fire management team spokeswoman Sandra Lopez said the fire on Saturday was about 3 miles west...
After More Than a Century,
Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
May 9, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
After More Than a Century, Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
The complete severing will come at the end of 2019
- The Mormon church said Tuesday it will sever all ties with the Boy Scouts of America at the end of 2019 and place its remaining 425,000 boys into a gospel-focused youth program it's developing. The move ends what
calls a "long, symbiotic relationship," one...
After 'Incredibly Fun'
Deliberations, a New
Name for Boy Scouts
May 2, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
After 'Incredibly Fun' Deliberations, a New Name for Boy Scouts
Coming in February: Scouts BSA
- For 108 years, the Boy Scouts of America's flagship program has been known simply as the Boy Scouts. With girls soon entering the ranks, the group announced a new name: Scouts BSA. The change will take effect next February, reports the AP . Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh said many...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.