Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mind on Complaint
Against NY AG
Jan 20, 2023 1:07 PM CST
Trump Changes Mind on Complaint Against NY AG
$900K sanction from judge on 'frivolous' lawsuits the day before may have spurred the move
- A complaint filed by Donald Trump against New York Attorney General Letitia James deemed "vexatious" late last year by a federal judge has been withdrawn by the former president's legal team. The Hill reports that the lawsuit was pulled back Friday after Trump and his attorneys were hit...
Man Accused of Killing
Former Judge Dies
Jun 7, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
Man Accused of Killing Former Judge Dies
Slain former judge John Roemer sentenced Douglas Uhde to prison in 2005
: The man accused of murdering a retired Wisconsin judge in a targeted killing Friday is dead. Officials say Douglas Uhde was declared brain-dead Saturday morning and was taken off life support Tuesday, CNN reports. The 56-year-old was found with what authorities say was apparently a self-inflicted gunshot wound in...
Tesla Tells Judge
the SEC Scrutiny
of Musk Is
Feb 17, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Tesla Tells Judge the SEC Scrutiny of Musk Is Harassment
Company says agency is picking on the CEO because he's critical of government
- The latest tit-for-tat involving Elon Musk, his company, and the Securities and Exchange Commission could again test the patience of the federal judge who oversaw the 2018 settlement limiting Musk's tweets. When the SEC complained the next year that new tweets from Musk had broken the rules, US District...
Judge After Blowup at Cancer
Patient: 'I'm Very Embarrassed'
Jan 21, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Judge After Blowup at Cancer Patient: 'I'm Very Embarrassed'
Michigan's Alexis Krot apologizes amid calls for her removal
A Michigan judge has apologized to a 72-year-old cancer patient after telling him that she would have liked to jail him for his overgrown lawn. "I made a mistake. I acted intemperately. I'm very embarrassed that I did so," Hamtramck Judge Alexis Krot said of her...
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape
Conviction, Blames Parents
Jan 14, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Judge Tosses Teen's Rape Conviction, Blames Parents
Illinois judge Robert Adrian said it would be 'unjust' to sentence teen to prison time
- At a bench trial in Illinois in October, a 16-year-old girl testified that 18-year-old Drew Clinton held a pillow over her face and raped her after she fell asleep at a graduation party. Adams County Judge Robert Adrian found Clinton guilty of criminal sexual assault—but he threw his own...
La. Judge Resigns
Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Jan 1, 2022 6:30 AM CST
La. Judge Resigns Over Her 'Hurtful Words'
Michelle Odinet had been caught on video saying n-word, comparing Black people to roaches
A Louisiana judge caught on video saying the n-word has resigned. Lafayette City Court Judge Michelle Odinet had already taken an unpaid leave of absence after the clip of her using the racial slur—recorded as she watched surveillance footage of an attempted burglary outside her home—circulated online...
Jewish Man to
Death Is Antisemitic
Oct 13, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Court: Judge Who Sentenced Jewish Man to Death Is Antisemitic
'Texas 7' member Randy Halprin may now get a new trial
- Randy Halprin was six days from execution when an appeals court granted a stay in 2019. Two years later, the 44-year-old is destined for a new trial after a Texas judge determined his 2003 death sentence for capital murder, delivered by former Dallas County District Judge Vickers Cunningham, was the...
Judge Judy Will Soon
Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Sep 10, 2021 9:43 AM CDT
Judge Judy Will Soon Be Banging Her Gavel Anew
Judy Sheindlin, and her granddaughter, will be coming to IMDb TV in November
- Judge Judy Sheindlin is returning to television on Nov. 1 with a new red robe, a granddaughter in tow, and the challenge of competing with herself. She announced on Thursday the start date and name of her new show,
, which will be available weekdays on the little-known IMDb...
Judge: OK, Unvaccinated
Mother Can See Child
Aug 31, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Judge: OK, Unvaccinated Mother Can See Child
Chicago judge reverses controversial order
- The judge who barred an unvaccinated Chicago mom from seeing her 11-year-old son until she got a COVID shot has reversed that order after the story started making headlines . Rebecca Firlit, who hadn't seen her son since August 10 when the judge's order was issued at a virtual...
Judge: House Panel Can See
Some Trump Tax Records
Aug 11, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Judge: House Panel Can See Some Trump Tax Records
Ruling allows access on issues related to emoluments clause
- A judge agreed Wednesday that a House committee has a right to see former President Trump's tax records, within limits. US District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington said the House Oversight Committee may subpoena some of the documents from Trump's accounting firm, Mazars. The former president has fought...
Man Doesn't Know
His Mic Is On, Insults
Judge in Hearing
May 6, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Man Doesn't Know His Mic Is On, Insults Judge in Hearing
Liberty Mutual insurance adjuster monitoring trial via videoconference calls judge an 'idiot'
- A California courtroom became the latest venue for a hot-mic incident last month when an insurance adjuster insulted the judge while monitoring the proceedings remotely. The
reports that Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Roberta Hayashi was trying to figure out where jurors should be seated during an...
Judge Steps Down
'All Lives Matter'
Apr 19, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Judge Steps Down After Declaring 'All Lives Matter'
Colorado's Natalie Chase earns rare public censure for opining on racial justice, using n-word on car ride
- It's exceedingly rare for a judge in Colorado to receive a public censure, but Natalie Chase just earned one, with behavior that's also now led to her leaving the bench. CBS4 reports that the Colorado Supreme Court has accepted the Arapahoe County district court judge's resignation, as...
Judge to Rape
Mar 4, 2021 1:22 PM CST
Judge to Rape Suspect: Will You Marry Her?
India's top judge is under fire over question he asked in court
- Critics who say India's judicial system isn't up to the task of handling rape cases are pointing to comments from the nation's top judge as a prime example. While addressing a 23-year-old man accused of raping and threatening to burn a 16-year-old girl to death, the chief...
Judge Whose Son
Was Gunned Down
in case you missed it
Feb 21, 2021 7:41 AM CST
Judge Whose Son Was Gunned Down Makes Chilling Revelation
Esther Salas says killer Roy Den Hollander also had his sights set on SCOTUS' Sonia Sotomayor
- Last July, Daniel Anderl, the 20-year-old son of US District Court Judge Esther Salas, was murdered at their North Brunswick, NJ, home by Roy Den Hollander, a lawyer who'd posed as a FedEx deliveryman. Now, in a
episode set to air in full Sunday on CBS, Salas...
Judge: COVID Rules Don't
Inhibit Polyamorous Life
Jan 5, 2021 2:44 PM CST
Judge: COVID Rules Don't Inhibit Polyamorous Life
Mother objected to children's possible virus exposure from their father's new partner and her husband
- British Columbia's pandemic restrictions are tough enough to understand, a judge says, before you throw in an alternative lifestyle. "The messaging accompanying these orders, and indeed the language of the orders themselves, is fraught with inconsistency and ambiguity," Justice Nigel Kent said in ruling that a divorced...
Parents on the Hook After
Throwing Out Son's Porn
Dec 19, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Parents on the Hook After Throwing Out Son's Porn
Paul and Beth Werking might have to pay over $75K
- Looks like a Michigan couple illegally threw out their son's eye-popping porn collection, the BBC reports. A federal judge has ordered Paul and Beth Werking to repay their 42-year-old son, David, who estimates the value at roughly $25,000. David claims his parents illegally tossed out 1,605 DVD...
Judge Rules on Battle Over
Student's Trump Portrait
Oct 11, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Judge Rules on Battle Over Student's Trump Portrait
The district painted it over. A judge put his foot down.
- Want a painting of President Trump in your parking space? So be it. That's what a federal judge ruled Friday after a Louisiana teen's portrait of Trump sparked a brouhaha at his school, the
reports. "The painting of President Trump cannot reasonably be described as obscene...
Are in Cahoots
Sep 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Judge: Trump, Postal Service Are in Cahoots
Judge Stanley Bastian issues a nationwide injunction against the USPS 'leave behind' policy
- A US judge on Thursday blocked controversial Postal Service changes that have slowed mail nationwide, calling them "a politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service" before the November election, the AP reports. Judge Stanley Bastian in Yakima, Washington, said he was issuing a nationwide preliminary injunction...
Son Was Shot
His Last Words
Aug 3, 2020 11:17 AM CDT
Judge Whose Son Was Shot Dead Reveals His Last Words
NJ's Esther Salas details Daniel Anderl's final moments at hands of 'monster'
- "Two weeks ago, my life as I knew it changed in an instant, and my family will never be the same." So starts an emotional nine-minute video released Monday by US District Judge Esther Salas, whose 20-year-old son, Daniel Anderl, her only child with husband Mark Anderl, was...
Judge Delivers Bad News to
Teen Detained Over Homework
Jul 21, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Judge Delivers Bad News to Teen Detained Over Homework
Michigan 15-year-old has to stay in juvenile detention center for several more months
- A Michigan teen placed in juvenile detection after failing to do her homework won't be getting out in the near future, despite claims that the case represents "the criminalization of Black children," per NBC New York . The 15-year-old identified as Grace told Oakland County Judge Mary Ellen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.