Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 30, 2023 11:02 AM CST
Billionaire's 413-Page Rebuttal Doesn't Help
Stock rout of Gautam Adani's business empire in India continues amid allegations of fraud
- India's richest man continues to become less rich by the day as he confronts allegations of fraud related to his business empire. Gautam Adani's Adani Group issued a 413-page rebuttal to the accusations raised by the US firm Hindenburg Research . The latter accused Adani, one of the richest...
26 Years Ago, She Stole $600K
and Fled. Now, an Arrest
Jan 20, 2023 1:52 PM CST
26 Years Ago, She Stole $600K and Fled. Now, an Arrest
Ex-bank teller who got plastic surgery before going on the run is captured in China
- Even plastic surgery to help hide her identity couldn't keep persistent authorities from finally tracking down a bank teller who stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from her employer more than 25 years ago. Vice reports on the story out of China, which starts in 1997 in Yueqing. At...
He Infamously Faked Being
a Doctor. Now, a New Scheme
Jan 4, 2023 11:00 AM CST
He Infamously Faked Being a Doctor. Now, a New Scheme
Malachi Love-Robinson handed a 28-month sentence over theft from employer
- A serial grifter who gained national infamy as a teenager when he impersonated a doctor to defraud a patient is heading back to prison after pleading guilty to stealing more than $10,000 from his employer. Malachi Love-Robinson, 25, received a sentence of over two years and four months last...
Feds Nab Pastor, Son in
Alleged $8.4M COVID Scam
Dec 15, 2022 1:47 PM CST
Feds Nab Pastor, Son in Alleged $8.4M COVID Scam
Evan and Josh Edwards accused of setting up fake ministry, trying to buy posh home near Disney
- In early July, NBC News filed a report about a Florida pastor and his family, accused by federal prosecutors in late 2020 court papers of pulling off a big-bucks COVID relief scam. "Why haven't they been charged?" the news outlet asked regarding the "curious" case. That question...
Sponsor of 'Don't Say Gay' Bill
Accused of COVID Relief Fraud
Dec 8, 2022 8:35 AM CST
Sponsor of 'Don't Say Gay' Bill Accused of COVID Relief Fraud
Florida state Rep. Joe Harding indicted on wire fraud, money laundering charges
- The Florida lawmaker who sponsored what became known as the " Don't Say Gay" bill is in legal trouble deeper than anything he would face for discussing sexual orientation in the state's primary schools. State Rep. Joe Harding, a Republican who represents a district south of Gainesville, is...
Whip Out Surprise
Trump Org Trial
Dec 3, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Paperwork signed by Trump shows he 'explicitly' sanctioned firm's tax fraud scheme, they argue
- On Monday, jurors are set to begin deliberating in the Trump Organization's criminal trial , and they now have a new piece of evidence to mull over the weekend regarding Donald Trump himself. On Friday in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, prosecutors in the trial, which revolves around...
Chrisleys to Appeal Sentence,
Say Government Lied
Nov 23, 2022 8:39 AM CST
Chrisleys to Appeal Sentence, Say Government Lied
Reality TV couple 'optimistic' after getting years behind bars on fraud, tax evasion
- Todd and Julie Chrisley think they know best about what punishment they should receive after their convictions on bank fraud, tax evasion, and other charges—and it's not the prison sentences that were handed down this week . Todd Chrisley, 53, one half of the USA Network's
Ex-Employee Admits to
Defrauding Apple of $17M
Nov 2, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Ex-Employee Admits to Defrauding Apple of $17M
Dhirendra Prasad worked as a buyer in the supply chain
A former Apple employee pleaded guilty Tuesday to defrauding the tech giant out of more than $17 million over seven years while he worked as a buyer for Apple's Global Service Supply chain, federal prosecutors said. Prasad admitted the fraud involved “taking kickbacks, inflating invoices, stealing parts,...
DOJ: Man Who Blamed Leftists
for Arson Staged It Himself
Oct 14, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
DOJ: Man Who Blamed Leftists for Arson Staged It Himself
Graffiti hinting at BLM, antifa involvement was actually by 'victim' Denis Molla
- When Denis Molla called the cops after a fire ripped through his garage, camper, and other vehicles in September 2020, it seemed to be the work of left-leaning arsonists. Graffiti left on the garage included references to Black Lives Matter, antifa, and the Biden 2020 campaign, and Molla told CBS...
Georgia Inmate Allegedly
Stole Millions From Billionaires
Oct 14, 2022 5:06 AM CDT
Georgia Inmate Allegedly Stole Millions From Billionaires
Arthur Cofield allegedly used contraband phone to impersonate movie mogul Sidney Kimmel
- A Georgia inmate serving time in a maximum security unit for armed robbery became a much more sophisticated criminal behind bars, using contraband phones to impersonate at least one billionaire and steal more than $10 million, authorities say. Federal agents believe 31-year-old Arthur Lee Cofield Jr. convinced customer service representatives...
New Estimate of Theft From
Sep 22, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
New Estimate of Theft From Unemployment: $45.6B
Pandemic crimes prosecutor calls it 'unprecedented fraud'
- The federal government has a revised estimate of the amount of money the US unemployment insurance program lost through fraud during the pandemic: $45.6 billion. Criminals collected the money between March 2020 and April 2022 through such tactics as using the Social Security numbers of dead people, CNN reports....
Nonprofit Founder, 46 Others
Charged in $250M Scheme
Sep 20, 2022 3:29 PM CDT
Nonprofit Founder, 46 Others Charged in $250M Scheme
It's the biggest pandemic-related fraud case to date
- Federal prosecutors indicted 47 individuals in Minnesota on Tuesday in a sprawling $250 million scheme described as the largest pandemic-related fraud case to date. According to the
Minneapolis Star Tribune,
the Minnesota-based nonprofit Feeding Our Future "was at the center of each indictment," which included charges of wire...
Self-Proclaimed 'African Prince'
Fleeced Investors of $800K
Sep 20, 2022 7:57 AM CDT
Self-Proclaimed 'African Prince' Fleeced Investors of $800K
Ohio's Daryl Robert Harrison, who called himself a 'prince' and 'prophet,' convicted of fraud
- An Ohio man claiming to be a prince from Ghana conned more than a dozen people out of $800,000 before his scheme blew up. Daryl Robert Harrison, who posed as the "prince" or "prophet" Daryl R. Attipoe, was convicted Friday of mail and wire fraud, conspiracy to...
Former Rep. TJ Cox
Arrested by the FBI
Aug 16, 2022 8:14 PM CDT
Former Rep. TJ Cox Arrested by the FBI
California Democrat faces dozens of fraud charges
- Former Rep. TJ Cox served one term in the House, from Jan. 2019 to Jan. 2021. The California Democrat will be serving a lot more time than that in federal prison if he's convicted of all of the fraud charges he's facing. The FBI says Cox was arrested...
Man Who Sought COVID Aid for
800 Fake Workers Sentenced
Jul 20, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Man Who Sought COVID Aid for 800 Fake Workers Sentenced
California man gets 135 months in federal prison
- Between April and June 2020, Los Angeles man Robert Benlevi applied for COVID aid for eight companies he owns, saying they had 100 employees each and business had been affected by the pandemic. But while the companies existed, at least on paper, the employees were fake, which is why Benlevi...
Jul 14, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
Ex-Ga. Mayor Sentenced for 'Deplorable' Pandemic Crime
Jason Lary gets 57 months behind bars for pocketing COVID relief cash meant for Stonecrest
- An "unsavory saga" has come to a conclusion in Georgia, where an ex-mayor is now headed to prison for nearly five years over a COVID relief funds scheme. On Wednesday, US District Court Judge Thomas W. Thrash Jr. sentenced Jason Lary to 57 months behind bars for stealing hundreds...
Actor Charged in $96K
Workers' Comp Fraud
Jul 12, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Actor Charged in $96K Workers' Comp Fraud
Q'orianka Kilcher of 'Yellowstone' allegedly claimed injury kept her from work, despite just finishing job
- Q'orianka Kilcher, an actor who had a breakout role as Pocahontas in 2005's
The New World
, is said to have collected nearly $100,000 in a case of workers' compensation fraud. The 32-year-old of North Hollywood allegedly injured her neck and right shoulder in October 2018 while working...
IRS Approved One Guy's
76 Blatantly Fake Charities
Jul 10, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
IRS Approved One Guy's 76 Blatantly Fake Charities
'New York Times' examines lax policies at tax agency that make fraud easy
- Ian Hosang says he’s sorry and wants to make full restitution. “I did very wrong. I know that,” he tells the
New York Times .
Hosang, 63, was arrested in May for fraud and other charges tied to 76 fake charities he established between 2014 and 2020. According...
If You Get a Call From
'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
Jun 21, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
If You Get a Call From 'Elliot Stewart,' Be Wary
$13M has been stolen from the elderly in a rare-wine scam
- The world of fine wine and whiskey continues to be a magnet for thieves and frauds . The
reports on allegations that three England-based companies claiming huge returns on investments in rare booze actually stole more than $13 million from at least 150 Americans—many of them elderly. Representatives...
to Jet Ski Out
of the Country
Jun 16, 2022 1:14 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Suspect Tried to Jet Ski Out of the Country
It didn't work out for Ernesto Cruz Graveran, now held in Florida
- Stripped of his passport, a man tried to flee fraud charges in the US by riding a jet ski from Florida to Cuba, prosecutors say. Ernesto Cruz Graveran, 54, a Cuban national living in Florida and charged in a $4.2 million Medicare fraud scheme, is being held as a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.