Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mom Who Said Her Kids' Xmas
Gifts Were Stolen Is Arrested
Dec 11, 2023 7:31 AM CST
Mom Who Said Her Kids' Xmas Gifts Were Stolen Is Arrested
Police now say Shana Hudson, 39, 'took advantage of the system'
- A Florida woman who earned the sympathy of her community after reporting that her kids' Christmas gifts were stolen out of her home has been arrested for falsely reporting that crime. WKRC and Fox News report on the case of 39-year-old Shana Hudson, who, according to a Facebook post by...
Charged With Swiping $22M
Dec 7, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Ex-Jags Employee Charged With Swiping $22M
Amit Patel, fired from NFL team in February, is accused of using credit card program to steal a lot of money
- A Jacksonville Jaguars employee was fired in February, and more details are now emerging as to why. Citing documents filed by prosecutors Tuesday in US District Court in Jacksonville, Florida, the AP reports that former financial manager Amit Patel has been hit with charges of wire fraud and illegal monetary...
Feds: He Hired a Hit Man, Then
the Hit Man Turned on Him
Dec 5, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Feds: He Hired a Hit Man, Then the Hit Man Turned on Him
Fereidoun Khalilian, who claimed to be a prince, believed he had a filmmaker killed: indictment
- A Florida man who claimed to be a prince and rubbed elbows with celebrities from Paris Hilton to Drake allegedly hired a hit man to kill a documentary filmmaker who planned to expose him as a fraudster. Fereidoun "Fred" Khalilian allegedly left several threatening voicemails for the filmmaker, Juan...
Is Over Before
Nov 20, 2023 6:11 AM CST
Shakira's Tax Fraud Case Is Over Before It Began
Colombian singer settles with Spanish prosecutors over tax evasion of alleged $16M
- Shakira's tax fraud trial began Monday, and it lasted a whopping eight minutes before it came to a close. That's according to the AP , which reports that the Colombian pop star reached a deal with prosecutors in Barcelona, Spain, over what they'd alleged was a failure to...
Trump Asks 'Biased' Judge
to Grant Mistrial in Fraud Case
Nov 15, 2023 10:55 AM CST
Trump Asks 'Biased' Judge to Grant Mistrial in Fraud Case
Judge Arthur Engoron is unlikely to side with the former president
- Seven weeks into his civil fraud case, Donald Trump is seeking a mistrial. The former president, sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, the Trump Organization, and the company's top executives on Wednesday submitted a 30-page filing in Manhattan Supreme Court that argued the conduct of presiding Judge Arthur...
Ivanka Will 'Walk a Tightrope'
in Trump Trial Testimony
Nov 8, 2023 8:14 AM CST
Ivanka Will 'Walk a Tightrope' in Trump Trial Testimony
Former president's daughter to take the stand Wednesday in New York in civil fraud case
- Wednesday's the day for Ivanka Trump to take the witness stand in the New York civil fraud trial against her father, former President Trump, and his Trump Organization. ABC News reports that the younger Trump, who served as an executive VP at the Trump Organization before she became an...
Man With Esteemed
Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Nov 3, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Man With Esteemed Classic-Car Collection Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Businessman Najeeb Khan, who orchestrated $180M check-kiting scheme, gets 8 years in prison
- A businessman who orchestrated a $180 million check-kiting scheme and used the proceeds to live a lavish lifestyle and amass one of the world's most revered classic-car collections has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison, per the AP . Najeeb Khan, 70, of Edwardsburg, Michigan, told a...
SBF Testifies to
Oct 27, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
SBF Testifies to 'Significant Oversights'
Judge scolds FTX founder over rambling answers
- Sam Bankman-Fried told a jury Friday that mistakes were made in his management of FTX but that he didn't tell any employees to do anything illegal. "There were significant oversights," the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange's founder conceded while testifying in his fraud trial in New York. Bankman-Fried...
Will Have to Testify
Oct 27, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Ivanka Trump Will Have to Testify
Judge sides with NY prosecutors who argued former first daughter has relevant information
- Ivanka Trump will have to take the witness stand in the civil fraud case against her father, her brothers, and the family business, a judge ruled Friday, per the AP . The ruling came weeks into the trial of New York Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit against former President Trump, sons...
Oct 20, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Judge Fines Trump $5K Over 'Blatant Violation'
Judge in civil fraud trial blasts former president over post disparaging a court staffer
Updated throughout with new details.
Donald Trump was fined $5,000 on Friday after a disparaging social media post about a key court staffer in his New York civil fraud case was allowed to linger on his campaign website after the judge ordered it deleted. Judge Arthur Engoron avoided holding...
Family of 'Con Men'
Hear Their Fate
for Fake COVID Cure
Oct 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Family of 'Con Men' Hear Their Fate for Fake COVID Cure
Mark Grenon, 3 adult sons get jail time for hawking toxic bleach through their online church
- A Florida man and his three adult sons were sentenced Friday for selling a toxic industrial bleach as a fake COVID-19 cure through their online church. A federal judge in Miami sentenced Jonathan Grenon, 37, and Jordan Grenon, 29, to 12 years and seven months in prison, while Mark Grenon,...
SBF Made the Decisions,
Former Executive Testifies
Oct 6, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
SBF Made the Decisions, Former Executive Testifies
Gary Wang says FTX founder was behind the misuse of customers' $8B
- There was no doubt about who made the major calls at FTX, a former top executive has testified in the federal fraud trial of Sam Bankman-Fried, founder of the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange. "In the end, it was Sam's decision," Gary Wang, who took the stand for six...
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial:
Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Oct 2, 2023 10:19 AM CDT
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Former president is in New York City over lawsuit alleging business fraud
Updated with new details.
Donald Trump on Monday denounced the civil fraud case over his business practices as a politically motivated "scam" as he arrived defiantly in New York City for a trial in the lawsuit. "This is a continuation of the single greatest witch hunt of all...
Couple Sentenced After Reports
of False Alzheimer's Diagnoses
Sep 29, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Couple Sentenced After Reports of False Alzheimer's Diagnoses
Patients said they planned the end of their lives, quitting their jobs or taking a final trip
- A former director of an Ohio memory-loss clinic accused by dozens of patients of falsely diagnosing them with Alzheimer's disease has been sentenced on federal fraud charges, along with her physician husband. Sherry-Ann Jenkins received nearly six years in prison on Tuesday, while Oliver Jenkins got a 41-month sentence....
Her Way Up the
Ladder. Now, Jail
Sep 21, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Gina Lonestar created phony invoices from a fake vendor to the tune of $1.7M, prosecutors say
- A former Men's Wearhouse executive is going to prison for nearly two years after pleading guilty to embezzling $1.7 million from the clothing giant and its parent, Tailored Brands. CBS News reports that 52-year-old Gina Suzanne Lonestar was sentenced to 22 months behind bars on a wire fraud...
Cops: Cyberscam Led
Man to Kill His Family
Aug 31, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Cops: Cyberscam Led Man to Kill His Family
Thai police say Sanit Dokmai, now charged with premeditated murder, also tried to take his own life
- At least 11 people are suspected to be involved with a loan scam that allegedly drove a man to kill his wife and two young boys before trying to take his own life in their family home, Thai police said Wednesday. Sanit Dokmai has been charged with premeditated murder after...
NY AG: Judge Should Rule
Trump Committed Fraud Now
Aug 31, 2023 12:15 AM CDT
NY AG: Judge Should Rule Trump Committed Fraud Now
Letitia James is seeking a partial summary judgment in the case
- As he gears up for his criminal trials, former President Trump is set to first face a civil trial in New York on Oct. 2. But State Attorney General Letitia James on Wednesday argued in a court filing that Trump's fraud is so staggering a trial isn't even...
Aug 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Museum Sues Ex-Director Over Fake Basquiats
Orlando Museum of Art says damage from fraud scheme may be irreparable
- The Orlando Museum of Art has admitted its "99-year legacy was shattered" when it was found to be exhibiting fake paintings attributed to Jean-Michel Basquiat. Now it wants justice. In a lawsuit filed Monday, OMA "seeks to hold responsible the people the Museum believes knowingly misrepresented the works'...
Imprisoned Over Huge Scam,
He Insists It Was All Legal
Aug 5, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Imprisoned Over Huge Scam, He Insists It Was All Legal
'The Walrus' tells the story of Patrice Runner, who pitched psychic services to believers
- As a teen, Canadian Patrice Runner was so intrigued by the power of persuasive copywriting that he set out to become one. Eventually, he was running a booming direct marketing business selling numerous schemes and self-help publications—and the abilities of a psychic, Maria Duval . As Rachel Browne writes for...
Former Police Union Chief Gets
Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Aug 4, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
Former Police Union Chief Gets Prison Time for $600K Fraud
Ed Mullins, ex-head of NYPD's Sergeants Benevolent Association, sentenced to 2 years behind bars
- For almost 20 years, Ed Mullins served as the head of one of the largest police unions in America. Now, the former president will spend two years behind bars for perpetrating fraud against the Sergeants Benevolent Association, which represents the 13,000 active and retired sergeants of the New York...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.