Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vladimir Putin Will Seek Another 6 Years in Power
Stories 1 - 20 |
For Kids Allergic to Peanuts,
a Patch Holds Promise
May 15, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
For Kids Allergic to Peanuts, a Patch Holds Promise
Study suggests it offers a measure of protection against exposure
- A study in the
New England Journal of Medicine
offers some hopeful news for the parents of toddlers with peanut allergies. Researchers found that if children wear a patch that dispenses a tiny amount of a peanut protein for a year, they're likely to build up protection against being...
Man Fired, Charged After
Rant in Smoothie Store
Jan 25, 2022 6:40 PM CST
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
Video shows James Iannazzo call one worker an 'immigrant loser'
- A Connecticut man who went into a smoothie store to complain went so far over the line that he lost his job and is facing criminal charges—including a felony. Police in Fairfield say James Iannazzo, 48, was arrested after workers at a Robeks said he was "throwing things,...
for Peanut Allergy
Feb 2, 2020 10:46 AM CST
FDA Clears First Treatment for Peanut Allergy
Though it has risks, Palforzia relieves anxiety, families say
- The first treatment for peanut allergy has won approval from the Food and Drug Administration. The drug, Palforzia, will list for $890 a month and brings its own risks, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. And the treatment, approved for those ages 4 to 17, won't make it possible for...
Peanut Allergy Study Has
a Disappointing Finding
Apr 26, 2019 9:17 AM CDT
Peanut Allergy Study Has a Disappointing Finding
Microdoses in kids might actually make things worse, say researchers
- Giving kids with peanut allergies tiny doses of peanuts to build up their immunity might actually make things worse, a new study in the
medical journal suggests. The researchers say they're not denouncing the approach, called oral immunotherapy, but are calling for better methods and further study. The...
Drug a 'Good First Step' for
Kids With Peanut Allergies
Nov 19, 2018 7:41 AM CST
Drug a 'Good First Step' for Kids With Peanut Allergies
Experimental drug AR101 found to ease reactions in more than 2/3 of kids with peanut allergy
- For parents of kids with peanut allergies, a new study holds "lifesaving" hope. The
Wall Street Journal
New York Times
report on AR101, an experimental drug from Aimmune Therapeutics that's been shown to ease reactions in kids with peanut allergies. In the oral immunotherapy study published in...
Mom Blames 15-Year-Old's
Death on Cookie Packaging
Jul 17, 2018 12:14 PM CDT
Mom Blames 15-Year-Old's Death on Cookie Packaging
Florida teen missed peanut mention in Chips Ahoy made with with Reese's
- A Florida mother blames the death of her 15-year-old daughter on what she calls confusing packaging for Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies, reports the AP . In a July 12 Facebook post , Kelli Travers-Stafford wrote that her daughter Alexi mistakenly ate one of the cookies at a friend's house despite...
Southwest Diverts From
Policy That's Part of Its 'DNA'
Jul 10, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Southwest Diverts From Policy That's Part of Its 'DNA'
No more peanuts on flights beginning Aug. 1
- Get your free peanuts while you can. Beginning Aug. 1, Southwest Airlines will stop serving the complimentary snack offered on flights since the airline's founding in the 1960s, according to a rather wistful Monday statement. "Peanuts forever will be part of Southwest's history and DNA," the...
This Could Be a Breakthrough
in Treating Peanut Allergies
Feb 20, 2018 4:27 PM CST
This Could Be a Breakthrough in Treating Peanut Allergies
Study finds success with daily peanut powder capsules
- The first treatment to help prevent serious allergic reactions to peanuts may be on the way. A company said Tuesday that its daily capsules of peanut powder helped children build tolerance in a major study, the AP reports. Doctors have been testing daily doses of peanut, contained in a capsule...
Moms Can Lower
Kid's Peanut Allergy
Risk From First Meal
Oct 4, 2017 11:25 AM CDT
Moms Can Lower Kid's Peanut Allergy Risk From First Meal
2-step process involves mom eating peanuts while breastfeeding
- New moms can lower their child's risk of developing a peanut allergy in the kids' very first meals, according to Canadian researchers. A study in the
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
suggests that children breastfed by peanut-eating moms are less likely to develop a nut allergy later, reports...
Breakthrough in Search
for Peanut Allergy Cure
Aug 17, 2017 11:14 AM CDT
Breakthrough in Search for Peanut Allergy Cure
New study found 80% of subjects could still tolerate peanuts 4 years later
- Could a cure for peanut allergies be close? Australia's ABC reports that in a new study , 82% of participants saw their peanut allergies cured within the first 18 months of treatment. Four years later, 80% of the participants still showed no signs of an allergy, and 70% passed a...
Frat Member Faces Jail
Over Peanut Butter Stunt
Apr 11, 2017 7:17 AM CDT
Frat Member Faces Jail Over Peanut Butter Stunt
Police charge him with hazing at Central Michigan University
- A Central Michigan University student accused of spreading peanut butter on the face of a passed out teen with a peanut allergy faces jail time over the stunt. Dale Merza, 20, has been charged with misdemeanor hazing and faces up to 93 days in jail and a $1,000 fine...
When and How
to Feed Your
Jan 5, 2017 11:36 AM CST
When and How to Feed Your Baby Peanuts
Most should taste peanuts around 6 months: NIH
- Most babies should start eating peanut-containing foods well before their first birthday, say guidelines released Thursday that aim to protect high-risk tots and other youngsters from developing the dangerous food allergy. The new guidelines from the National Institutes of Health mark a shift in dietary advice, based on landmark research...
Peanut Allergy Skin Patch
Looks Promising in First Trial
Oct 28, 2016 4:48 PM CDT
Peanut Allergy Skin Patch Looks Promising in First Trial
It was particularly effective in younger kids
- Peanut allergies are on the rise, and some are so severe as to result in anaphylaxis (often causing swelling, vomiting, and a drop in blood pressure) and death, reports the Mayo Clinic . Even without harmful exposures, constant vigilance can be stressful, but treatments don't yet exist—while research suggests...
Woman Dies After
Who Ate Peanut
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 12, 2016 7:00 PM CDT
Woman Dies After Kissing Boyfriend Who Ate Peanut Butter Sandwich
Now her mom is speaking out
- Four years ago, 20-year-old Myriam Ducre-Lemay died after kissing her boyfriend who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich, CTV News reports. Now her mother, Micheline Ducre, is speaking out to keep the same thing from happening to anyone else's kids. After getting home from a party, Myriam's...
710K Hostess Snacks Recalled
Jun 6, 2016 12:28 PM CDT
710K Hostess Snacks Recalled
Over the potential of undeclared peanut residue
- If you have a peanut allergy, you may want to hold off on opening that box of Ding Dongs. Hostess is recalling 710,000 cases of some of its products over undeclared peanut residue they might contain, CBS News reports. In addition to Ding Dongs, the items being recalled include...
6 Years for Curry
That Killed Customer
May 24, 2016 2:46 AM CDT
Restaurateur Gets 6 Years for Curry That Killed Customer
Man had warned staff about peanut allergy
- A dishonest, penny-pinching British restaurateur is going to prison for a curry dish that killed a customer . Mohammed Zaman was sentenced to six years after being found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence and several food-safety offenses in the 2014 death of Paul Wilson, who had a severe allergy to...
Restaurateur on Trial Over Deadly Curry
May 10, 2016 8:25 PM CDT
Restaurateur on Trial Over Deadly Curry
Prosecutors say he subbed in peanuts to save money, never told customers
- A most unusual manslaughter trial is unfolding in the UK, one that revolves around "death by curry," as a post at Munchies puts it. Prosecutors accuse restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman of subbing in peanuts for almonds in his ground mix to save money and deliberately concealing the switch...
Got Us Booted
May 6, 2016 5:33 PM CDT
Couple: Son's Peanut Allergy Got Us Booted From Flight
And now they're getting hate mail about it
- Kyson and Sara Dana were just trying to make sure their son, Theo, would be safe as they flew from Provo, Utah, back home to Oakland, California, on Monday. They approached a flight attendant on their Allegiant Air flight to mention that the toddler has a peanut allergy. They just...
Key to Preventing
Is ... Peanuts
Mar 7, 2016 9:21 AM CST
Key to Preventing Peanut Allergies Is ... Peanuts
Results apply to other allergenic foods
- A new study has bolstered the case that the key to preventing peanut allergies in kids is to feed kids peanuts. A study conducted last year found that babies who were fed "peanut butter mush" were 80% less likely to develop a peanut allergy by age 5, NPR reports....
Teen Dies After Eating
Peanut Butter S'more
Sep 25, 2015 11:27 AM CDT
Teen Dies After Eating Peanut Butter S'more
Simon Katz, who had severe allergy, went into anaphylactic shock
- One of Simon Katz's favorite treats was a s'more, which is probably why he dove into the dessert without hesitation in the parking lot of his Colorado school during a homecoming bonfire on Monday. The decision cost him his life. Simon, who had a severe peanut allergy, had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.