Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bull Found on Freeway
Nov 24, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Troopers Wrangle Bull Found on Freeway
'He seemed like he wanted to take me on'
- Arizona state troopers say nobody was injured when a runaway bull was found wandering around a Phoenix freeway early Friday. Video footage from a traffic camera shows the dark, long-horned bull mulling around the highway as troopers try to herd it from the safety of their vehicles, the AP reports....
Amid NYC Flooding,
Sea Lion Makes
a Break for It
Sep 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Amid NYC Flooding, Sea Lion Makes a Break for It
Creature was able to swim out of her enclosure as pool overflowed at Central Park Zoo
- The governor of New York and mayor of New York City urged everyone to stay home Friday amid chaotic flooding caused by heavy rains, but one party didn't get the message, or chose to ignore it. ABC News reports that a sea lion at the Central Park Zoo made...
'Like Living in a Horror Film'
After Minks Escape From Farm
in case you missed it
Sep 24, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
As many as 8K were released Sunday morning in Pennsylvania
- A week after an escaped murderer was finally captured in Pennsylvania comes a different kind of jailbreak and warning to residents in the state. "Unknown actor(s)" cut holes in a mink farm's fence early Sunday, providing a point of escape for between 6,000 and 8,000 minks...
That's Probably Not a Lion
After All, Say German Police
Jul 21, 2023 10:12 AM CDT
That's Probably Not a Lion After All, Say German Police
Animal roaming near Berlin is probably a boar, say authorities
- It appears that a roaming "lion" in neighborhoods near Berlin isn't a lion after all. Authorities now think the animal spotted by witnesses is actually a much less sensational wild boar, reports the BBC . Boars are common in the area, and authorities have found zero physical evidence of...
Feb 25, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Bear Really Wants Out of the Zoo
Ben recaptured after 2nd escape from St. Louis Zoo this month
- St. Louis Zoo officials say they're working to find a way to keep an Andean bear named Ben inside his enclosure after he escaped Thursday for the second time this month. The bear was outside for less than an hour and was found only about 100 feet away from...
Missing Zoo Leopard Found.
Now, Mystery of 2 Cut Fences
Jan 16, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Missing Zoo Leopard Found. Now, Mystery of 2 Cut Fences
Officials at Dallas Zoo say cut was found in fence to leopard enclosure, as well as at monkey habitat
- First, the good news: Nova, the clouded leopard who vanished from her enclosure at the Dallas Zoo, has been found . The 4-year-old big cat was found to be missing on Friday morning from the habitat she shares with her sister, Luna, leading the zoo to temporarily shut down "due...
Bear Shot Dead
at Jacksonville Zoo
Dec 23, 2022 4:56 AM CST
Bear Shot Dead at Jacksonville Zoo
Lethal weapons team was called in after it attacked zookeeper
- A black bear at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens was shot dead by the Florida zoo's lethal weapons team after it escaped its enclosure Wednesday and attacked a staff member in an area off-limits to the public, authorities say. "An emergency radio call was initiated and our lethal...
This 'Bovine Revolution'
Has Lasted for Months
Dec 20, 2022 7:25 AM CST
This 'Bovine Revolution' Has Lasted for Months
Cows who escaped from Quebec dairy farm in July keep evading capture, wreaking havoc on fields
- In late July, a herd of 20 or so cows escaped from their dairy farm in St.-Severe, Quebec, after a thunderstorm spooked them, causing them to bust out of their pen. They've been on the lam ever since—annoying some by tearing up local farms, and earning the...
Shot Dead After
Dec 15, 2022 7:58 AM CST
3 Chimpanzees Shot Dead After Zoo Escape
Swedish zoo warned area residents to stay inside with doors, windows locked
- Five chimpanzees escaped from a zoo enclosure in Sweden and it did not end well for four of them. Authorities say four of the animals were shot, three of them fatally, while the fifth made its own way back to the enclosure, joining three other chimpanzees that didn't leave,...
There's a Deadly
King Cobra Loose
at a Swedish Zoo
Oct 24, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
There's a Deadly King Cobra Loose at a Swedish Zoo
'Houdini' is venomous but not aggressive, terrarium director says
- Anyone planning a visit to Stockholm's Skansen Aquarium will be out of luck, at least until the staff is able to wrangle an eight-foot king cobra that escaped on Saturday, according to the Local. The zoo's director, Jonas Wahlstrom, told reporters the snake has been dubbed "Houdini"...
17 Years After
Still Out There
Mar 29, 2022 6:14 PM CDT
17 Years After Fleeing Zoo, Flamingo Still Out There
No. 492 again sighted in Texas after escaping Kansas zoo in 2005
- One of two flamingos that escaped from a Kansas zoo during a storm 17 years ago has been spotted on the coast of Texas, wildlife officials said. The Coastal Fisheries Division of Texas Parks and Wildlife confirmed Tuesday to the AP that the African flamingo—known as No. 492 because...
No One Can
Zebras on the
Loose in Maryland
Oct 1, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
No One Can Catch Those Zebras on the Loose in Maryland
Group of 5 escaped from farm in Prince George's County in late August
Five fugitive zebras that made headlines after escaping from a Maryland farm in late August are "still out there, roaming free." That's the latest from the
, which notes multiple sightings over the past few weeks in Prince George's County. The
If You See This Snake in NC,
Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Jun 30, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
If You See This Snake in NC, Don't Go Near It—Call 911
Police are on the lookout in Raleigh for an escaped zebra cobra
- If you're out for a jog or walking your dog in Raleigh today, you might want to steer clear of the Brittany Woods neighborhood. WRAL reports that residents there "are waking up to another day of anxiety" after police reported that a highly toxic zebra cobra is on...
a Tiger on the
Loose in Tennessee
Sep 10, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
There's Apparently a Tiger on the Loose in Tennessee
Authorities in Knoxville are chasing down sightings
- A strange one out of Tennessee: Wildlife authorities in Knoxville are on the hunt for a tiger—yes, a tiger—after multiple sightings, reports WVLT . The first one came from a sheriff's deputy on Wednesday night near an industrial park, and multiple residents have since called in their own....
Sep 9, 2020 2:53 PM CDT
Italian Official: 'Escape Genius' Bear 'Must Live Free'
He says 'Papillon' shouldn't be treated like a criminal
- An "escape genius" bear in Italy is back in a wildlife enclosure after being recaptured for a third time—but friends in high places might help "Papillon" win his freedom permanently. Sergio Costa, Italy's environment minister, said Wednesday that it "hurts to know Papillon is in...
'Escape Genius' Bear
Recaptured After 42 Days
Sep 8, 2020 3:03 AM CDT
'Escape Genius' Bear Recaptured After 42 Days
Wildlife groups say they will fight for Papillon's freedom
- One of Italy's most famous escape artists is back behind bars, 42 days after he busted out of maximum security. M49, described by the
as "Europe's most wanted bear," was captured by rangers in Trento province with a "tube trap" device Monday. The bear...
Have a Really
Jul 17, 2020 10:11 AM CDT
Florida Cops Have a Really Strange Chase
They capture a runaway kangaroo in Fort Lauderdale
- Police in Fort Lauderdale had quite the day Thursday after getting a call about an unlikely escapee. WPLG reports that for 30 minutes or so, cops were in hot pursuit of a kangaroo that escaped from a local home. "I'm trying to catch a kangaroo!" one cop...
Texas Has a Problem Primate
—and a Giant Mystery
Sep 11, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
Texas Has a Problem Primate —and a Giant Mystery
Unconfirmed run-ins with an ornery chimp, monkey, or other creature reported in Texas
- No one knows where it came from, how it got out, or even for sure what it is (or
it is)—but an animal said to be on the loose in Texas is causing a ruckus. The
New York Times
perfectly explains the current confusion in the Lone Star...
Escaped Yaks Charge
Jul 26, 2019 12:37 AM CDT
Escaped Yaks Charge Massachusetts Hiker
Cops manage to corral the 3 animals
- A hiker in western Massachusetts encountered a hazard more commonly associated with the Himalayas: aggressive yaks. Police say the three animals, who had escaped from a private owner a few days earlier, charged and chased the hiker Wednesday in the Bear Hole Reservoir hiking area near West Springfield, the
Bear Flees Over
3 Electric Fences,
for His Captors
Jul 16, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
Bear Flees Over 3 Electric Fences, Drawing Mockery for His Captors
Rangers search woods in northern Italy
- Forest rangers are searching the woods for a bear that climbed over three electric fences and a 13-foot barrier to escape a wildlife enclosure in Northern Italy. The bear had been captured only hours before, the
reports. "Run and save yourself," the president of an animal rights...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.