Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Allegedly Killed
His Entire Family. Obit
Calls Him a Loving Dad
Jan 18, 2023 1:34 AM CST
Man Allegedly Killed His Entire Family. Obit Calls Him a Loving Dad
Obituary for Michael Haight has since been taken down
- A Utah man allegedly killed his estranged wife, her mother, and the couple's five children before taking his own life earlier this month—and yet an obituary for Michael Haight, which has since been taken down, said he viewed each of his children as "truly a cherished miracle"...
Utah Officials Stumped
by Antennas on Public Land
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 14, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Utah Officials Stumped by Antennas on Public Land
One theory has to do with cryptocurrency mining
- People keep putting up amateur antennas on public lands around Salt Lake City, and authorities there sound both baffled at their purpose and exasperated at having to take them down. As KSL-TV reports, they typically consist of a battery pack, solar panel, and a fiberglass antenna, and they're usually...
Bad News on
Great Salt Lake:
'This Is a Crisis'
Jan 9, 2023 12:21 PM CST
Bad News on Great Salt Lake: 'This Is a Crisis'
Researchers say Utah lake could vanish in 5 years if excess water consumption isn't remedied
- Since 2020, Utah's Great Salt Lake has lost about 40 billion gallons of water per year, a consequence of the West's megadrought and too much water consumption. Researchers say that stat shouldn't be ignored: If remedies aren't made, the largest saltwater lake in the Western Hemisphere...
of Killing Wife,
Their 5 Kids,
Jan 6, 2023 12:09 AM CST
Dad Accused of Killing Wife, Their 5 Kids, Mother-in-Law
Wife in Utah tragedy had recently filed for divorce
- Officials say a father killed his wife, his mother-in-law, and the couple's five children before taking his own life this week in Enoch, Utah. Tausha Haight, 40, had filed for divorce from suspect Michael Haight, 42, on Dec. 21, KUTV reports. Authorities believe Michael Haight fatally shot his estranged...
Ski Patroller Killed
in Fall From Lift
Jan 5, 2023 8:17 AM CST
Ski Patroller Killed in Fall From Lift
Christian Helger of Utah's Park City Mountain Resort died after tree fell on chairlift cable
- A 29-year-old ski patroller died Monday when he was knocked from a chairlift at Utah's Park City Mountain Resort. Ten others were safely rescued from the chairlift, which began to rock significantly when a large pine tree fell onto a lift cable around 10:45am, according to the Summit...
Star Stunt-Driver Dies
in Snowmobile Crash
Jan 3, 2023 8:16 AM CST
Star Stunt-Driver Dies in Snowmobile Crash
Rally champ Ken Block killed at the age of 55 in Wasatch County, Utah
- Ken Block, a motor sports champ and sportswear company co-founder who became an internet sensation for his nail-biting stunts , has died in a snowmobiling accident in Utah, per his Hoonigan Racing team. He was 55. The Wasatch County Sheriff's Office says Block was riding on a steep slope around...
This Is the Most
Giving State in America
Nov 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
This Is the Most Giving State in America
Congrats to Utah, according to WalletHub's ranking of the most, least charitable states
- If you're in a position to be philanthropic, whether that means donating your money or your time, where you live can make a difference in terms of enthusiasm from fellow locals—which in turn might inspire even more of your own altruism. WalletHub looked at 19 metrics across all...
In Utah Senate Race,
a 'Wild Card' Emerges
Oct 17, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
In Utah Senate Race, a 'Wild Card' Emerges
Independent Evan McMullin is close in the polls to GOP incumbent Mike Lee
- One of the more intriguing Senate races in November is out of Utah, where Republican Sen. Mike Lee—a staunch ally of Donald Trump—is in a surprisingly tight race with independent challenger Evan McMullin. Real Clear Politics still projects Lee to hold the seat, but Lee is up by...
for 8 Years
Is Back Home
Oct 10, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Horse That Ran Wild for 8 Years Is Back Home
'It's crazy,' says owner of Mongo in Utah
- It's not too unusual to hear stories about lost dogs being reunited with their families after long stretches. Cats, too . But stallions? Such is the case in northwestern Utah, where Mongo the horse is back home after eight years of roaming the desert with his wild cousins, reports KUTV...
Family Sues Little League Over
Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Sep 21, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Family Sues Little League Over Son's Fall: 'He's Not Doing Well'
Easton Oliverson of Utah suffered a serious head injury
- A Utah boy who suffered a serious head injury after falling from a bunk bed during last month's Little League World Series in Pennsylvania has returned home from the hospital, and his family is suing the league and the company that made the bed. Easton Oliverson, 12, of St....
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Bus Driver Placed on Leave for
Threatening to Shoot Students
Sep 12, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Bus Driver Placed on Leave for Threatening to Shoot Students
She wasn't the only Utah bus driver placed on leave last week
- A school bus driver in Saratoga Springs, Utah, has been placed on administrative leave after being recorded apparently threatening to shoot students. Per NBC News, the incident occurred Friday afternoon on a bus carrying elementary students in the Alpine School District. Police told NBC that investigators have not yet determined...
Says He Was
With a Gun
Aug 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Utah Candidate Says He Was Threatened With a Gun
Man pleads not guilty to brandishing a gun at Evan McMullin
- A driver faces charges after he was accused by Evan McMullin of threatening the US Senate candidate along a southern Utah road after a campaign event in April. In a court filing, McMullin said the driver, Jack Aaron Whelchel, pulled alongside and forced the car in which McMullin and his...
Teen Defeated Their
Into Her Gender
Aug 19, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Teen Defeated Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
Utah school cooperated with probe to confirm athlete had always been female
- The parents of the second- and third-place winners in a high school sports competition were suspicious about the female first-place winner who had bested their daughters. So they filed a complaint with the Utah High School Activities Association wondering whether the winner was transgender. The story was revealed Wednesday by...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Cops: Man Trying
to Burn Spider
Aug 2, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Cops: Man Trying to Burn Spider Started Wildfire
'What led him to stop and notice a spider and decide to try to burn it, we don’t know'
- A Utah man has been arrested on accusations he started a wildfire while trying to burn a spider with his lighter. Cory Allan Martin, 26, told deputies that he spotted the spider Monday while he was in a hiking area in the foothills south of Salt Lake City near the...
Utah Teen Pleads Guilty to
Killing Mother, 3 Siblings
Jul 19, 2022 8:49 PM CDT
Utah Teen Pleads Guilty to Killing Mother, 3 Siblings
Colin Jeffery Haynie was 16 years old when he tried to kill his entire family
: A Utah man pleaded guilty Tuesday to fatally shooting his mother and three siblings in early 2020, when he was 16 years old. Colin Jeffery Haynie, now 19, killed his mother and one of his sisters as they returned from her school pickup, then waited for two more siblings...
Video Shows Boy, 4, Shooting
at Cops in McDonald's Lot
Jul 19, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Video Shows Boy, 4, Shooting at Cops in McDonald's Lot
The father has been sentenced to 120 days in jail
- The moment when a 4-year-old fired on police officers on the order of his father was caught on bodycam video. Sadaat Johnson, 27, waved a gun at McDonald's workers in Midvale, Utah, because he was upset about his food order, and they told him to pull around to the...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Great Salt Lake
Sees a Historic
Jul 6, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Great Salt Lake Sees a Historic Low, Again
Water level drops to 4,190.1 feet, after it matched 170-year-old record just this past October
- The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. The Utah Department of Natural Resources said Monday in a news release...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.