Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Dolly the Sheep'
Scientist Is Dead at 79
Sep 11, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
'Dolly the Sheep' Scientist Is Dead at 79
Scotland's Ian Wilmut set off a global discussion on the ethics of cloning
- Ian Wilmut, the cloning pioneer whose work was critical to the creation of Dolly the sheep in 1996, has died at age 79. The University of Edinburgh in Scotland said Wilmut died Sunday of Parkinson's disease, per the AP . Wilmut ignited a global discussion about the ethics of cloning...
Jun 15, 2023 12:04 PM CDT
Researchers Create First Synthetic Human Embryo
Experts call for laws governing development of embryo models, which could offer insight into miscarriage
- An egg plus sperm equals a human embryo—at least that's traditionally how it's been done. In a breakthrough, scientists say they've created human embryos without the need for either egg or sperm. These "synthetic embryos" or "embryo models" are made from reprogrammed embryonic stem...
Couple: Fertility Clinic's
Mistake Doomed Our Baby
Mar 3, 2023 1:30 AM CST
Couple: Fertility Clinic's Mistake Doomed Our Baby
Jason and Melissa Diaz's son has dangerous hereditary gene
- Jason and Melissa Diaz chose to start a family using in vitro fertilization for a very specific, and very important, reason: to have genetic testing done and make sure Jason didn't pass along a deadly gene that caused him to develop a rare type of cancer that forced him...
Lawsuit: Oil Meant to Keep
Embryos Safe Killed Them All
Feb 21, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Lawsuit: Oil Meant to Keep Embryos Safe Killed Them All
Complaint filed after Fujifilm Irvine Scientific recalls oil used in IVF process due to 'toxicity'
- A mineral oil manufactured by Fujifilm Irvine Scientific is used during the delicate in vitro fertilization process, mainly to prevent evaporation during culturing so that the embryo doesn't dry up and die. A couple from Los Angeles, however, say the oil proved toxic to all of their embryos, and...
Couple Specifically Requested
Embryos Frozen the Longest
Nov 22, 2022 2:13 PM CST
Couple Specifically Requested Embryos Frozen the Longest
The births of Lydia Ann and Timothy Ronald are thought to have set a record
- The embryos were frozen on April 22, 1992. On Halloween this year, Rachel Ridgeway gave birth to twins born from those embryos, in what is thought to be a record for the longest-frozen embryos to result in a live birth. The record had been creeping toward the 30-year mark, with...
Suit: I Was Impregnated
With Stranger's Embryo
Apr 6, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Suit: I Was Impregnated With Stranger's Embryo
Massachusetts couple sues New York Fertility Institute, where past mix-up occurred
- A Massachusetts couple say they underwent several unsuccessful attempts at in vitro fertilization before learning they were pregnant—with someone else's baby. The couple identified as Jane and John Doe are suing the New York Fertility Institute in the US Southern District Court of New York, claiming they had...
She Was 50, He Nearly Was.
They Decided to Get Pregnant
Feb 13, 2022 12:00 PM CST
She Was 50, He Nearly Was. They Decided to Get Pregnant
Akhil Sharma beautifully charts his journey to parenthood
- There are many different paths to parenthood, and in an exquisite piece for the
, Akhil Sharma writes of his own. Sharma, an author and professor at Duke, grew up with a severely brain-damaged brother who was unable to talk or walk, a mother who made him feel worthless,...
A Letter About Their Embryos
Sends Couple Into a Tailspin
Apr 18, 2021 2:55 PM CDT
A Letter About Their Embryos Sends Couple Into a Tailspin
Hospital allegedly knew for years Elaine Meyer and Barry Prizant's 2 embryos were missing
- Over the decade beginning in 2010, a study determined that 133 lawsuits had been filed in connection with lost, discarded, or damaged frozen embryos. Dr. Elaine Meyer and Dr. Barry Prizant are engaged in one such lawsuit, and Katherine Rosman dives into their story for the
New York Times
After IVF and
She Had a Big
Decision to Make
Apr 12, 2021 4:02 AM CDT
After IVF and Genetic Testing, She Had a Big Decision to Make
Implant the 'mosaic' embryo or not?
- Jacquelynn Kerubo made a big decision right before New York City went into lockdown: to transfer a "mosaic" embryo into her uterus. As she explains in an essay for the
New York Times
, "mosaic" has been used since 2015 to describe the roughly 20% of IVF embryos that...
Baby Waiting to Be Born
for 28 Years Is Finally Here
Dec 2, 2020 6:54 AM CST
Baby Waiting to Be Born for 28 Years Is Finally Here
Molly Gibson, born from an adopted embryo frozen in 1992, sets a world record
- In a twist on adoption, a Tennessee infant born in October now holds a world record that was previously claimed by her big sister. Per the
New York Post ,
Tina and Ben Gibson had tried to have a child for five years, but they'd struggled to conceive (Ben has...
Court: Divorced Woman
Can't Use Frozen Embryos
Jan 26, 2020 6:06 AM CST
Court: Divorced Woman Can't Use Frozen Embryos
Arizona Supreme Court rules that she can't have a baby over objection from her ex-husband
- A woman can't use her frozen embryos to have a baby over opposition from her ex-husband under terms of the contract they signed with a fertility clinic, the Arizona Supreme Court has ruled. The high court ruling ends a case that drew support from social conservative groups for the...
Court Rules on Embryos
in Divorce Case, but
Skirts Big Question
Oct 30, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Court Rules on Embryos in Divorce Case, but Skirts Big Question
Connecticut's highest court says they can be destroyed, doesn't weigh in on when life begins
- Timothy Goodwin and Jessica Bilbao married in 2011 and quickly began the process of in vitro fertilization. They had a daughter together in 2013, and had several more frozen embryos cryogenically stored after signing an agreement stating that if they divorced, the embryos would be destroyed. Divorce they did in...
In Medical First,
Carry Their Baby
Oct 29, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
In Medical First, Couple Both Carry Their Baby
Ashleigh and Bliss Coulter explain how Effortless Reciprocal IVF made it possible
- A same-sex Texas couple explained to ABC News what the traditional route for birthing a baby in their situation is: Use donor sperm, have one woman carry the baby, and have the other woman adopt the child. Ashleigh and Bliss Coulter of Mountain Springs mixed up that process in a...
A Terrible Loss,
Then Something 'Sweet'
Apr 12, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
A Terrible Loss, Then Something 'Sweet'
Boy born from surrogate in China after parents died in car crash four years earlier
- A Chinese couple have had their parenthood dream realized, though nearly five years after their deaths. A baby boy was born to a surrogate in December from a fertilized embryo frozen by the couple. It was to have been implanted in the womb of Liu Xi, but she and her...
A 'Devastating' First for a
US Egg-Freezing Facility
Mar 9, 2018 9:20 AM CST
A 'Devastating' First for a US Egg-Freezing Facility
Temperature spike in liquid nitrogen storage tanks has left viability of 2K eggs, embryos uncertain
- Hundreds of families received troubling news this week after an unprecedented "malfunction" at a Cleveland egg-freezing facility. Although the staff at University Hospitals Fertility Center hasn't yet figured out exactly how it happened, what's known is that the temperature in one section of a long-term storage tank...
New Mom Is 26;
Embryo Was 24
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 24, 2017 8:03 AM CST
New Mom Is 26; Embryo Was 24
Tennessee woman gives birth to embryo frozen almost a quarter-century ago
- A 26-year-old woman in Tennessee has given birth to a baby girl, but this otherwise everyday event comes with a remarkable twist. The embryo that resulted in the birth was frozen 24 years ago, meaning mom and baby are in one sense nearly the same age. "This embryo and...
Sued By Embryos
Dec 7, 2016 8:21 AM CST
Sofia Vergara Sued By Embryos
Her own; ex-fiance aims to implant 2 girls in a surrogate via right-to-live suit
- Sofia Vergara's ex-fiance Nick Loeb has dropped a lawsuit in California seeking custody of the two female embryos the couple created together, now frozen in a fertility clinic, but the
star's legal troubles are far from over: She's now being sued by her own embryos...
13 Days in
a Petri Dish
May 5, 2016 6:03 AM CDT
Human Embryos Just Survived 13 Days in a Petri Dish
Opens the door to study what happens in the mysterious, critical first days of life
- It's a milestone that's at once being called groundbreaking and a Pandora's box: Scientists at Cambridge University surprised even themselves by growing embryos for 13 days outside the womb—one day short of a longstanding legal limit that's never been pushed up against because embryos failed...
Latest Twitter Fight
Feb 25, 2016 6:35 PM CST
Chrissy Teigen's Latest Twitter Fight Involves Embryos
Pregnant supermodel puts haters in their place on Twitter
- Turns out a lot of people don't understand how IVF works, a fact Chrissy Teigen recently learned after explaining to
why she and husband John Legend chose to implant a female embryo for her first pregnancy. As Mary Elizabeth Williams points out on Salon , Twitter exploded after the...
OK to Make
Feb 4, 2016 8:13 AM CST
US Panel: OK to Make 3-Parent Embryos —Male Ones
But there are still legal roadblocks to controversial process
- A US National Academy of Medicine committee said Wednesday the FDA should approve clinical trials for three-parent fertilization in human embryos—with some caveats,
reports. In its report , the committee recommended such trials be limited to women at risk of passing along "serious mitochondrial disease" to their kids,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.