Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nearly 50 Years
Later, a Big
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 24, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Nearly 50 Years Later, a Big Regret From Spielberg
Director speaks about decimation of shark population after 1975's 'Jaws'
- Steven Spielberg's
is considered to be the very first summer blockbuster film , surpassing $100 million in box office earnings. There's one demographic that likely isn't a big fan, however: sharks, who bore the brunt of the public's wrath (specifically at the hands of trophy-hunting fishermen)...
In Hawaii, a 2nd
Shark Attack in 5 Days
Dec 14, 2022 9:05 AM CST
In Hawaii, a 2nd Shark Attack in 5 Days
Man is recovering after bite to the rear; search has ended for other presumed victim
- A man in Hawaii has reportedly survived a shark bite to the butt in what's believed to be the second attack in the state in a week. The 68-year-old from Waikoloa used a diving knife to fend off the 12-foot-long tiger shark as he swam in Anaehoomalu Bay, on...
She Was Swimming in the
Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Nov 8, 2022 9:45 AM CST
She Was Swimming in the Ocean. Then, a 'Really Hard Hit'
Lyn Jutronich, 50, describes watching a shark attack her off the coast of Del Mar, Calif.
- Lyn Jutronich was resting in the water during her morning ocean swim when something rammed her hard out of the water. Jutronich, 50, said she immediately knew it was a shark. She gave her first interviews over the weekend from her hospital bed, where she's recovering after the shark...
Rescued Boaters' Lacerations
Were 'Almost Down to the Bone'
Oct 11, 2022 2:39 PM CDT
Rescued Boaters' Lacerations Were 'Almost Down to the Bone'
The Louisiana men were forced to fend off sharks
- More details are emerging in the harrowing story of three missing boaters who were rescued Sunday after spending 28 hours in the water after their boat sank—and being forced to fend off sharks. That the Louisiana men were found at all is wild: After family members reported they didn'...
Video of Shark's
in case you missed it
Sep 18, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Video of Shark's Surprise Move Goes Viral
Mako jumps into boat, but all ends well
- Passengers on a charter boat keeping an eye out for sharks got a much closer look than they anticipated in Maine. However, all ended well, including for the shark. As NECN reports, a boat with Sea Ventures Charters was about 20 miles off Monhegan Island when a mako shark leaped...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
Researchers Create Model
of Huge, Ancient Shark
Aug 20, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Researchers Create Model of Huge, Ancient Shark
Megalodon could have devoured a killer whale in 5 bites, research shows
- Today's sharks have nothing on their ancient cousins. A giant shark that roamed the oceans millions of years ago could have devoured a creature the size of a killer whale in just five bites, new research suggests. For their study published this week, researchers used fossil evidence to create...
in Incredibly Rare
UK Shark Attack
Aug 2, 2022 2:51 PM CDT
Snorkeler Bitten in Incredibly Rare UK Shark Attack
She was on boat trip off Cornwall coast
- A snorkeler suffered a leg injury in an apparent shark attack that was incredibly rare for two reasons. It involved a blue shark, a species that almost never attacks humans, and it took place in British waters, where unprovoked shark attacks are almost unheard of. Britain's Maritime Coastguard Agency...
Shark Researchers Make
Odd Find Off Belize
in case you missed it
Jul 30, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Shark Researchers Make Odd Find Off Belize
Little is known about Greenland sharks, but nobody expected to find one in the Caribbean
- With an estimated lifespan of up to 500 years, Greenland sharks are considered the longest-living vertebrates on Earth. They are native to frigid Arctic waters, where they like to feed on polar bear carcasses. But at least one has also ventured to the western Caribbean, and it surprised a boatload...
Good Samaritans Save
California Shark Attack Victim
Jun 23, 2022 12:17 PM CDT
Good Samaritans Save California Shark Attack Victim
Nurse, police officer were paddleboarding when they heard cries for help
- A swimmer was seriously injured in a rare shark attack off California's central coast Wednesday—but he survived with the help of paddleboarders who rushed to the rescue. Officials say the man was attacked just after 10:30am at Lovers Point Beach in Pacific Grove, Monterey County, NBC News...
Great White Does U-Turn
After Hitting Jersey Shore
May 11, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Great White Does U-Turn After Hitting Jersey Shore
But Ironbound will be back north soon
- Ironbound sounds like a good name for a massive floating vessel. This Ironbound is pretty close to that. A huge great white shark who was so christened when it was tagged on October 3, 2019, off Nova Scotia has recently been spotted off the US coast. CNN reports Ironbound pinged...
Florida Sheriff's Video Reveals
May 10, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Florida Sheriff's Video Reveals Shark-Infested Waters
Sheriff's office warns swimmers to be safe
- A video taken from the skies above Florida's Gulf Coast makes it clear just how many sharks might be lurking during an excursion to the beach. "A day in the water is a fun way to beat our Florida heat, but it's important to be aware of...
Shark Attack Was
So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Mar 30, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Shark Attack Was So Brutal It Lost a Tooth
Great white carried out fatal Dec. 24 assault on Tomas Butterfield in Morro Bay, Calif.
- A California bodyboarder killed on Christmas Eve met a great white shark, who left huge bite marks and a tooth behind, according to an autopsy report. Tomas Abraham Butterfield, 42, of Sacramento left his mother's home in Morro Bay, which he was visiting for the holidays, to head to...
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean
Snorkeling Hot Spot
Mar 22, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
Shark Kills Tourist in Caribbean Snorkeling Hot Spot
Italy's Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi was swimming off the coast of Colombia's island of San Andres
- Colombia reported zero shark attacks off its coast in 2021, but that luck didn't extend very far into 2022. CBS News reports that an Italian tourist, identified by local media as 56-year-old Antonio Roseto Degli Abruzzi, was swimming Friday in the Caribbean, near a cliff off the island of...
Our Vision of Legendary
Shark Is Flawed
Feb 10, 2022 2:03 PM CST
Our Vision of Legendary Shark Is Flawed
Researchers say we actually don't know what giant megalodon looked like
- We know
was a massive shark, about three times as long as the largest great white shark ever recorded. But we don't know much else about the appearance of the beast that swam around Earth's oceans between 3.6 million and 15 million years ago, despite...
The Decrease in
Shark Bites Is Over
Jan 25, 2022 4:50 PM CST
The Decrease in Shark Bites Is Over
Number of unprovoked shark attacks returned to normal levels in 2021
- Shark attacks increased around the world in 2021 following three consecutive years of decline, though beach closures in 2020 caused by the COVID-19 pandemic could be making the numbers seem more dramatic than they are, officials said Monday. Researchers with the International Shark Attack File recorded 73 unprovoked incidents last...
Sharks Have a
Surprise New Predator
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2021 12:30 PM CST
Sharks Have a Surprise New Predator
Study suggests that leopard seals hunt and eat them
- The list of known shark predators is not long, but it just grew by one: Researchers say that, much to their surprise, leopard seals make the cut. They found shark remains in the seals' scat, as well as physical evidence of shark confrontations on seals' bodies, the researchers write in...
Prove London's River
Is No Longer 'Dead'
Nov 11, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Venomous Sharks Prove London's River Is No Longer 'Dead'
Report finds River Thames is bustling with wildlife, despite pollution concerns
- The Thames River was declared "biologically dead" in the late 1950s. But after decades of cleanup and conservation efforts and investments in sewage treatment, that's no longer the case. Indeed, the 215-mile waterway running through London is now home to hundreds of wildlife species, including seahorses, eels, seals,...
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
That Wasn't a Shark Attack,
It Was a 'Negative Encounter'
Jul 19, 2021 11:11 AM CDT
That Wasn't a Shark Attack, It Was a 'Negative Encounter'
Parts of Australia change their semantics
- Australia sees its fair share of shark attacks . Or does it? Maybe what it actually sees its fair share of are shark "incidents" or "interactions." The new official tip sheet put out by the government of Queensland ditches the word "attacks" completely and instead advises people...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Tyre Nichols Video Is Released
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.