Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Speaks Out on
of My Life'
Aug 20, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Hope Solo Speaks Out on 'Worst Night of My Life'
Retired soccer goalkeeper says drinking that led to DUI spurred partly from postpartum depression
- Nearly a month after pleading guilty to charges of driving while impaired in North Carolina in late March, while her twin toddlers were in the car, Hope Solo is talking publicly about what happened. Making an appearance this week on her
Hope Solo Speaks
podcast , the 41-year-old former soccer goalkeeper...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Has Very Public
Nov 10, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Jacinda Ardern Has Very Public Parenting Moment
NZ prime minister's toddler interrupted her during a COVID update to the nation
- Robert Kelly had his moment . Now Jacinda Ardern is having hers. The New Zealand prime minister was giving her nation a COVID update this week when she had a parenting moment that many who've had to work from home during the pandemic can relate to. Per CNN and NBC...
Now Facing Calls
to Resign From
Aug 26, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Mayim Bialik Now Facing Calls to Resign From
Actor, podcaster under fire for past comments on parenting, vaccines
- Executive producer Mike Richards resigned as permanent host of
last week, after only a day of filming, over newly resurfaced comments about women and Jews, leaving Mayim Bialik, selected as permanent host for prime-time specials, in the role of interim host. But as EJ Dickson writes at
Study: Spanking Your
Kids Is Good for Nothing
Jun 29, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Study: Spanking Your Kids Is Good for Nothing
Researchers say it leads to negative outcomes, not positive ones
- The upshot of a new study on spanking children: Just don't do it. "Parents hit their children because they think doing so will improve their behavior," explains senior author Elizabeth Gershoff of the University of Texas at Austin to CNN . "Unfortunately for parents who hit, our...
I'm the Mom
Who Yells in
Dec 28, 2020 12:42 PM CST
I'm the Mom Who Yells in Public. Thanks, COVID
Psychotherapist writes an op-ed about her own struggles
- Kristen Howerton isn't just a mom raising two teenage boys amid a pandemic. She's also a psychotherapist. Meaning, she gets it, she writes in a
New York Times
op-ed. She gets the struggles her teens are facing in these weird times, largely isolated from their friends and school...
Kristen Bell Found Daughters
Drinking O'Doul's in Zoom Class
Sep 16, 2020 6:25 PM CDT
Kristen Bell Found Daughters Drinking O'Doul's in Zoom Class
She says girls, 5 and 7, love nonalcoholic beer
- "I'm going to get a lot of flack for this. And let me start by saying I don't care," Kristen Bell told the Say Yes! With Carla Hall podcast Tuesday before explaining how her young daughters developed a taste for beer. Nonalcoholic beer, that is. The...
Their Daughter Wanted
a Pricey College. They Said No
Dec 27, 2019 11:59 AM CST
Their Daughter Wanted a Pricey College. They Said No
Slate essay suggests parents have a duty to help their children avoid a costly mistake
- In an essay at Slate , Melody Warnick writes how she and her husband made the difficult decision to quash their teenage daughter's hopes of going to a fancy—meaning expensive—art school out of state upon graduation. Warnick feels like a "monster" for doing so, but the middle-class...
She Ran a 'Love Village' for
Kids. Now, 20 Years in Prison
Jul 25, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
She Ran a 'Love Village' for Kids. Now, 20 Years in Prison
Li Yanxia, who adopted 118 children, was less loving mother, more fraudster, Chinese court found
- A wealthy businesswoman who became known as the "Love Mother" in China for adopting more than 100 children has a new label now: convicted fraudster. The BBC reports that 54-year-old Li Yanxia (aka Li Lijuan) was sentenced to 20 years in prison in Hebei province after being found guilty...
in the Woods
Jul 21, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Why Dutch Parents Leave Their Children in the Woods
It's called 'dropping,' and there's a philosophy behind it
- The Dutch call it "dropping": Parents drive their children to a remote location at night, drop them off, and say good luck. The tweens (and occasionally teens) have to navigate woods and dark roads and make it back to summer camp alone. Parents might follow but won't guide,...
The Smart Diaper
Is Only Months Away
Jul 20, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
The Smart Diaper Is Only Months Away
Lumi by Pampers sends text alerts when the diaper is wet
- Ding! Your baby's diaper is wet. That's the idea behind Lumi by Pampers, a new line of smart diapers that text-alerts parents when the baby needs changing, CNN reports. The product also tracks the baby's sleep time and number of pees, but not—as a dad points...
Parents' Sleep May Suffer for
6 Years After Baby Arrives
Feb 26, 2019 12:38 PM CST
Parents' Sleep May Suffer for 6 Years After Baby Arrives
If you just welcomed a little one, you can look forward to the year 2025
- Being able to say, "The baby is finally sleeping through the night" may offer a mental boost, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily going to be getting a lot more shut-eye anytime soon. In fact, don't count on it for at least six years, the
Her Kid Missed 5 Weeks of
School. Mom Is Going to Jail
Nov 30, 2018 2:08 PM CST
Her Kid Missed 5 Weeks of School. Mom Is Going to Jail
Michigan's Brittany Horton sentenced on a truancy charge
- After a 6-year-old Michigan girl missed a bunch of school without the appropriate notes from home, the school tried to meet up with her mother to find out what was going on. After school officials say letters to Brittany Horton went unanswered and she didn't show up to meetings,...
to Parents: No
Nov 5, 2018 11:15 AM CST
Pediatrics Group to Parents: No Spanking, Yelling
AAP comes out with a much stronger policy statement against 'aversive' discipline
- It's been two decades since the American Academy of Pediatrics issued an official stance about discipline, and in that time, the group's opinion has changed quite a bit. Its 1998 guidance recommended that "parents be encouraged and assisted in developing methods other than spanking in response to...
Parents Have a Whopping 32
Minutes to Themselves Per Day
Oct 8, 2018 6:43 PM CDT
Parents Have a Whopping 32 Minutes to Themselves Per Day
According to new survey being called 'depressing'
- If you have kids and feel like you never have any time to yourself, it's no illusion: You really don't. A new survey that Fox News is calling "depressing" finds that the average parent has just 32 minutes to him or herself each day. Meal delivery service...
Mom Ends Up in Court After
Taking Daughter's Phone
Sep 20, 2018 12:05 PM CDT
Mom Ends Up in Court After Taking Daughter's Phone
Though larceny charges were ultimately dismissed
- A Michigan mom who took away her 15-year-old daughter's phone faced, at least briefly, 186 days in jail. Jodie May says she decided to punish the girl in April after she got into trouble at school, but then found herself under arrest in May after her ex-husband told police...
Yelling at Your Kids Doesn't
Work, Makes You Look 'Weak'
Sep 10, 2018 2:48 PM CDT
Yelling at Your Kids Doesn't Work, Makes You Look 'Weak'
There is a better way, and Stephen Marche explains one option
- In the 1960s, 94% of parents used physical punishment on their children. In 2010, just 22% of parents did. Parents have figured out that there's a better way than spanking—and now it's time for yelling to experience that same reckoning. Most parents today yell at their kids,...
It Was Her Dream
Dress. Her Dad Found
a Way to Buy It
Jul 31, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
It Was Her Dream Dress. Her Dad Found a Way to Buy It
Ricky Smith picks up extra shifts at his 3 jobs to buy 14-year-old Nevaeha a dress for dance
- Ricky Smith already works three jobs to support his family, so when his 14-year-old daughter, Nevaeha, came to him with a special request, he wasn't sure he could fulfill it. ABC News reports the Pittsburgh teen had her eye on a two-piece floral dress for her upcoming middle-school dance,...
One Kind of Parenting
Is 'Form of Abusiveness'
Jun 23, 2018 3:40 PM CDT
One Kind of Parenting Is 'Form of Abusiveness'
The hovering parent takes another knock
- Helicopter parenting usually gets a bad rap , and this is no exception. A recent study suggests that children who are more controlled by mothers will end up struggling with their emotions, impulses, and schoolwork later on, the
reports. Published in
, the study followed 422 children over an...
Parents Get $132K Claim After
Kid's Touch Ruins Sculpture
Jun 16, 2018 5:00 AM CDT
Parents Get $132K Claim After Kid's Touch Ruins Sculpture
5-year-old sent 'Aphrodite di Kansas City' crashing to the ground
- Wrangling 5-year-olds can be challenging. Failing to do so can apparently be expensive. Or so learned a Kansas couple, who say they may be on the hook for a $132,000 sculpture their young son knocked over. ABC News reports that while at the Tomahawk Ridge Community Center in Overland...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.