Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
alcohol is bad for you
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kids These Days Have Very
Different Opinions on Booze
in case you missed it
Aug 20, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
Kids These Days Have Very Different Opinions on Booze
More than half of millennials, Gen Z now view moderate drinking as harmful, per Gallup poll
- A greater share of Americans than ever before believes drinking in moderation is unhealthy. In a Gallup poll released Thursday, 39% of 1,015 adults across the US surveyed during the month of July say moderate drinking—consuming one to two drinks per day—is bad for one's health,...
Places to Not Fall Asleep
While Drunk in Paris
Aug 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Places to Not Fall Asleep While Drunk in Paris
2 American tourists spent the night in the Eiffel Tower, delaying its opening by an hour
- When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Paris, don't do as these two Americans did. As AFP reports, Eiffel Tower security guards making their rounds early Monday before the Parisian icon's 9am opening found a rather unusual and unwelcome surprise in the form of two...
United Airlines Pilot Arrived at
Work 'Staggering, Eyes Glassy'
Jul 28, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
United Airlines Pilot Arrived at Work 'Staggering, Eyes Glassy'
He was arrested on suspicion of drunkenness, sentenced by French court
- A 63-year-old American pilot arrived at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport, where he was scheduled Sunday to fly a United Airlines plane to Washington, DC. Problem being that he was obviously drunk, police say. "He was staggering slightly, his eyes were glassy, and his mouth pasty" when he showed...
Guy Who Stole
Thumb Pleads Guilty
Apr 6, 2023 8:42 AM CDT
Guy Who Stole Terracotta Warrior's Thumb Pleads Guilty
Michael Rohana reaches plea deal in crime that outraged China
- A Delaware man's legal saga is approaching its end, more than five years after an extremely ill-advised move at an ugly Christmas sweater party that led to an FBI investigation and international tensions. Days before Christmas 2017, Michael Rohana was at an after-hours party in the Franklin Institute in...
Studies Touting Alcohol as
Good for Health Were Flawed
Apr 5, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Studies Touting Alcohol as Good for Health Were Flawed
Analysis finds no benefit to health, but an increased risk of death
- The Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction was on to something when it claimed no amount of alcohol consumption is healthy, according to a new analysis of 107 studies of 4.8 million adults published between 1980 and 2021, which debunks the idea that moderate drinking provides benefits for...
May Be 'a Bit
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2023 3:25 PM CST
Canada's New Booze Guidelines May Be 'a Bit Shocking'
New recommendation for beer-swilling Canadians: no more than 2 drinks per week
- In Canada, the legal drinking age is between 18 and 19, depending on location. But new guidelines from the nation's Canadian Center on Substance Use and Addiction not only discourage young people from throwing one too many back—the center is now warning everyone away from more than two...
'Pedal Pub' Driver Charged
With DUI in Wreck
May 2, 2022 5:46 AM CDT
'Pedal Pub' Driver Charged With DUI in Wreck
15 injured in Atlanta, though none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening
- The driver of a so-called "pedal pub" was arrested Saturday night after the vehicle crashed with 15 passengers onboard, injuring all of them. The electric vehicles are "large-scale bikes," per 11 Alive , on which up to 15 people pedal as an operator in the front controls the...
740K Cancers Around the World
Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Jul 14, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
740K Cancers Around the World Blamed on Drinking Alcohol
Study looked at how much people drank and then how many got sick a decade later
- Have you been coping with pandemic stress with a glass of wine at night? A team of researchers has some unhappy news for you. In a study published Tuesday in the
, scientists have linked even moderate drinking to cancer. The authors of the study wrote that they saw...
Safe Alcohol Consumption?
There's No Such Thing
May 21, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
Safe Alcohol Consumption? There's No Such Thing
Study finds drinking impacts brain's white and gray matter
- "So many people drink 'moderately,' and think this is either harmless or even protective," says Oxford University researcher Anya Topiwala. The opposite is true, according to Topiwala's new study , which finds any amount of alcohol consumption reduces the volume of gray matter in the brain,...
Experts Halve Recommended
Alcohol Limit for Men
Jul 16, 2020 4:12 AM CDT
Experts Halve Recommended Alcohol Limit for Men
It's now 1 drink a day, same as for women
- If you decide to have an alcoholic drink, limiting yourself to one a day is best—whether you’re a man or woman. That’s the new advice experts are recommending for the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are scheduled to be updated later this year for the first...
2 Drinks a Day Is OK?
Dec 16, 2019 10:55 AM CST
2 Drinks a Day Is OK? Not Anymore, Says Council
Australian health council changes alcohol guidelines for first time since 2009
- If you've been feeling pretty good about your alcohol consumption, making sure to never go over the recommended maximum of two drinks per day, we have bad news: You have to start keeping it to 1.4 drinks a day, at least according to one group of experts. Australia'...
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her.
This Video Offers a Hint Why
Sep 30, 2019 7:34 AM CDT
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her. This Video Offers a Hint Why
Catherine Maccarone has resigned, is charged with driving under the influence, endangerment
- A school bus driver in Washington state has left her job after an alleged DUI incident earlier this month, and now video has also been released. NBC News reports that 48-year-old Catherine Maccarone resigned last week after a fifth grader who'd ridden on her bus called 911 on Sept....
10% of Older Adults
Are Binge Drinking.
That's a Big Deal
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 4, 2019 9:47 AM CDT
10% of Older Adults Are Binge Drinking. That's a Big Deal
When older adults binge drink, there are different risks involved
- There are the usual problems associated with binge drinking—and then there's an additional set of problems associated with binge drinking as you age. And that second set of problems is something we need to be concerned with, say researchers involved in a new study that found an estimated...
20% of US Adults
Jul 1, 2019 5:17 PM CDT
20% of US Adults Harmed by Someone Else's Drinking
And that's just over the past year
- We all know consuming alcohol can be bad for you; a new study finds it can also be bad for those around you. In the US, about 20% of adults say they were harmed at least once in the past year due to someone else's drinking, CNN reports. The...
Beer Before Wine? People
Vomited in Pursuit of Answer
in case you missed it
Feb 10, 2019 1:50 PM CST
Beer Before Wine? People Vomited in Pursuit of Answer
Researchers find order you consume the beverages doesn't impact hangover
- If you've attempted to "feel fine" by always drinking beer before wine, it may have all been for naught. A new study in the
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
finds that the order in which you have beer and wine doesn't affect how severe your hangover is....
The Benefits of 'Dry January'
Last for Months and Months
Dec 31, 2018 7:40 AM CST
The Benefits of 'Dry January' Last for Months and Months
A New Year's resolution worth trying?
- If you're still deciding on New Year's resolutions and pondering whether "Dry January"—that would be 31 days with no alcohol—is worth adding to the list, new research out of the UK suggests the answer is yes. The University of Sussex heard from 816 people...
Guy Sorry for Yelling 'Heil
Fiddler on Roof
Nov 18, 2018 10:48 AM CST
Guy Sorry for Yelling 'Heil Trump!' During
Fiddler on Roof
Surprise, kids! There was alcohol involved
- File another one under Things That Seem Like a Good Idea While You're Drunk: Anthony Derlunas caused a stir Wednesday night in a Baltimore theater when he screamed "Heil Hitler! Heil Trump!" during intermission of a performance of
Fiddler on the Roof
—apparently inspired by the president'...
WHO: Booze Killed
3M People in 2016
Sep 21, 2018 6:40 PM CDT
WHO: Booze Killed 3M People in 2016
A third of those deaths were from injuries
- Drinking too much alcohol killed more than 3 million people in 2016, mostly men, the World Health Organization said Friday. The UN health agency also warned that current policy responses are not sufficient to reverse trends predicting an increase in consumption over the next 10 years, the AP reports. In...
Study Has Sobering News
for Moderate Drinkers
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 26, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Study Has Sobering News for Moderate Drinkers
There's no safe level of consumption, researchers say
- People who think drinking moderate amounts of alcohol delivers health benefits should think again, according to a massive study published in the
. Some 512 researchers analyzed more than 1,000 studies and concluded that the safest level of alcohol consumption is zero, the
reports. They found that...
Want Long Life? No More
Than 1 Drink a Day
Apr 13, 2018 2:44 AM CDT
Want Long Life? No More Than 1 Drink a Day
More than that risks heart problems, researchers say
- Here's some sobering news: A large international study says adults should average no more than one alcoholic drink per day, meaning drinking guidelines in many countries may be far too loose. The study found that people who down more than seven drinks a week can expect to die sooner...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.