Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 22, 2023 9:26 AM CST
Museum: Roman Emperor Was Transgender
Texts suggest Elagabalus identified as a woman, though historians argue they aren't creditable
- A museum in the UK has made the decision to refer to an ancient Roman emperor as "she" and "her," saying evidence shows Elagabalus, who reigned for four years from AD 218-222, was a transgender woman. The council-run North Hertfordshire Museum in Hitchin, which has a silver...
Court Rules on Law Requiring
Sterilization for Gender Change
Oct 25, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Court Rules on Law Requiring Sterilization for Gender Change
Japanese measure makes surgery a prerequisite
- Japan's Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a law requiring transgender people to undergo sterilization surgery in order to officially change their gender is unconstitutional. The decision by the top court's 15-judge Grand Bench was its first on the constitutionality of Japan's 2003 law requiring the removal...
Trans Teen, Family
'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Trans Teen, Family 'Run Out of Town on a Rail'
'New Yorker' piece dives into how laws in Tennessee, and in South in general, have affected LGBTQ youth
- Tennessee has passed nearly 20 anti-LGBTQ+ laws since 2015, among the highest in the nation, per the Human Rights Campaign. For Kristen Chapman, that number is more than just a statistic—it proved to be the death knell for her family's future in the Volunteer State, as her 17-year-daughter,...
Colorado Court Takes On
Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Oct 3, 2023 2:01 PM CDT
Colorado Court Takes On Baker's Trans Cake Controversy
Jack Phillips is again embroiled in a legal fight over LGBTQ issues
- On the heels of a US Supreme Court victory this summer for a graphic artist who didn't want to design wedding websites for same-sex couples, Colorado's highest court said Tuesday it will now hear the case of a Christian baker who refused to make a cake celebrating a...
Judge Blocks Changes
to Trans People's
Aug 31, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Judge Blocks Changes to Trans People's Birth Certificates
Ruling follows approval of Kansas legislation reducing back trans rights
- A federal judge ruled Thursday that Kansas officials shouldn't keep changing transgender people's birth certificates so the documents reflect their gender identities. US District Judge Daniel Crabtree approved Republican state Attorney General Kris Kobach's request to block the changes because of a new state law rolling back...
Aug 31, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Critics Call Governor's New 'Common Sense' Order 'Ridiculous'
Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen's order narrowly defines 'male' and 'female,' angering trans advocates
- This week, a second governor put his name to an executive order that more rigidly defines an individual's sex, in what he deems a boost to women's rights and what critics say is an attack on the transgender community. The AP reports that Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen signed...
Court Upholds Alabama Ban
on Care for Trans Youth
Aug 22, 2023 5:24 PM CDT
Court Upholds Alabama Ban on Care for Trans Youth
Federal appeals court says state can enforce ban on puberty blockers, hormone treatment
- A federal appeals court ruled Monday that Alabama can enforce a ban outlawing the use of puberty blockers and hormones to treat transgender children, the second such appellate victory for gender-affirming care restrictions that have been adopted by a growing number of Republican-led states. A three-judge panel of the 11th...
Chess Official Urges Research
After Decision on Trans Women
Aug 18, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Chess Official Urges Research After Decision on Trans Women
US advocate calls new policy 'a case of trans panic'
- A top global chess official Friday called for more research into whether factors such as hormone levels and physical endurance might have an impact on players' abilities at the male-dominated game. Her comments came after the world chess federation was heavily criticized for its decision to block transgender women from...
Chess Federation Bans
Trans Women Pending Review
Aug 17, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Chess Federation Bans Trans Women Pending Review
Trans women have 'no right to participate' in female events ahead of FIDE ruling
- The world's top chess federation has ruled that transgender women can't compete in its official events for females until an assessment of gender change is made by its officials. The decision by the Switzerland-based International Chess Federation (FIDE) was published on Monday and has drawn criticism from advocacy...
Legislature Begins Overriding
'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
Aug 16, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Legislature Begins Overriding 'Political Culture Wars' Vetoes
During transgender care debate, lawmaker whose grandchild could be affected asks GOP to 'just stop it'
- Both houses of North Carolina's legislature voted Wednesday to override Gov. Roy Cooper's veto of a bill restricting LGBTQ+ instruction. The new law takes effect immediately, the AP reports. The Senate vote was 27-18 for the override, with the House voting 72-47 minutes later. Also Wednesday, the Republican-controlled...
Does James Like to Be Called
Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Aug 11, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Does James Like to Be Called Jimmy? Not So Fast in Florida
Some districts now want parental OK before using nicknames, alternate names for trans students
- A new school year has kicked off in many spots in the South, and two counties in Florida are already making waves for a correspondence that's been delivered to educators and parents. WESH reports that Seminole County sent an email to families this week noting that if their kids...
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance
on Youth Gender Treatments
Aug 4, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Doctors Group Sticks By Stance on Youth Gender Treatments
American Academy of Pediatrics backs medical care for trans youth, but calls for deeper research
- In 2018, the American Academy of Pediatrics took a firm stance in supporting that youth who are transgender and gender diverse "have access to comprehensive, gender-affirming, and developmentally appropriate health care." Now, nearly five years later, the medical group, which represents 67,000 US physicians, is re-upping that...
Bud Light: We've
Weathered the Storm
Aug 3, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Bud Light: We've Weathered the Storm
Parent company Anheuser-Busch says market share is stabilizing after Dylan Mulvaney backlash
- Bud Light's parent company expressed confidence Thursday that its US market share has stabilized after a promotion with a transgender influencer cut into sales. Anheuser-Busch Inbev said Thursday that its US revenue fell 10.5% in the second quarter. Bud Light sales plunged during a conservative backlash after the...
Female Transgender Cyclists
Are Out of UCI Women's Races
Jul 14, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Female Transgender Cyclists Are Out of UCI Women's Races
Swimming, track and field have enacted similar policies
- Female transgender athletes who transitioned after male puberty will no longer be able to compete in women's races, world cycling governing body the UCI said Friday. The International Cycling Union joined the governing bodies in track and field and swimming as top-tier Olympic sports addressing the issue of transgender...
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Salon That Refuses to Serve
Trans Clients Gets an Earful
Jul 14, 2023 7:48 AM CDT
Salon That Refuses to Serve Trans Clients Gets an Earful
Local pols, hair care firm slam 'breathtaking hate' by Studio 8 Hair Lab in Michigan's Traverse City
- Last month, the Supreme Court ruled that a Colorado web designer can refuse to create sites for same-sex weddings, a blow for LGBTQ+ rights. Now, just weeks after that decision, a Michigan hair salon owner is refusing to serve some members of that community, including transgender customers. In a now-scrubbed...
Scores a First
Jul 10, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
Miss Netherlands Scores a First
Rikkie Valerie Kolle is the first trans woman with the crown and will compete for Miss Universe
- Here she is—Miss Netherlands. And for the first time, Miss Netherlands is a transgender woman. With her new crown, Rikkie Valerie Kolle will be the second trans woman to compete for the title of Miss Universe later this year, NPR reports. Kolle is looking to support young women and...
Dylan Mulvaney Has Words
for 'Silent' Bud Light
Jun 30, 2023 6:17 AM CDT
Dylan Mulvaney Has Words for 'Silent' Bud Light
Transgender influencer says brand 'never' reached out as she suffered hate
- Saying she's been scared to speak out for months, transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney is finally revealing what's in her heart and it's disappointment in Bud Light. The brand drew criticism from the right for partnering with Mulvaney on an Instagram video in April, leading to a boycott....
Lance Armstrong Takes Flak
Over Trans 'Fairness' Remark
Jun 26, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Lance Armstrong Takes Flak Over Trans 'Fairness' Remark
Disgraced cyclist says special series of podcast will look into 'polarizing' issue
- Lance Armstrong took plenty of flak Sunday after he announced that a special series of his podcast "The Forward" would look into what he called the "controversial and polarizing" issue of transgender athletes. "Is there not a world in which one can be supportive of the transgender...
She Could Be
US' First Trans
Jun 26, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
She Could Be US' First Trans Congresswoman
Sarah McBride, a Delaware state senator, is launching campaign for seat as a US rep
- Sarah McBride won her race for Delaware state senator in 2020 with 70% of the vote, becoming the nation's first transgender state senator. In her reelection race, no one bothered to oppose her. The 32-year-old is hoping to translate that popularity into yet another first for a trans lawmaker:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.