Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to
Block Scottish Gender Reform
Jan 17, 2023 1:23 PM CST
UK Uses 'Nuclear Option' to Block Scottish Gender Reform
It creates a 'very, very slippery slope,' says Nicola Sturgeon, who promises legal fight
- The UK government has for the first time used the "nuclear option" to block legislation passed by the Scottish parliament, in this case a law that would allow people to self-identify as transgender. The move sets up a court battle over Scotland's right to make its own laws....
Jan 4, 2023 1:04 AM CST
US Executes First Transgender Inmate
Missouri puts transgender woman to death
- A Missouri inmate was put to death Tuesday for a 2003 killing, in what is believed to be the first execution of a transgender woman in the US, the AP reports. (It's thought to be the country's first execution of any openly transgender person, male or female, CNN...
Would Be US First
Jan 2, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Execution of Transgender Woman Would Be US First
Missouri inmate Amber McLaughlin is scheduled to die on Tuesday
- Unless Missouri Gov. Mike Parson grants clemency, Amber McLaughlin, 49, will become the first openly transgender woman executed in the US. She is scheduled to die by injection Tuesday for killing a former girlfriend in 2003, the AP reports. McLaughlin’s attorney, Larry Komp, said there are no court appeals...
Dies by Suicide
Dec 21, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Lawmaker's Transgender Son Dies by Suicide
Kentucky legislator says difficulty finding acceptance led to mental illness
- A Kentucky state senator said Tuesday that her transgender son, a trans rights advocate on whom "a lack of acceptance took a toll," has died by suicide. He was 24. Democratic Sen. Karen Berg said her son Henry Berg-Brousseau "long struggled with mental illness, not because he...
Tuesday Was a Big Day
for a 'Common Word'
Dec 14, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Tuesday Was a Big Day for a 'Common Word'
'Woman' made headlines
- Tuesday was a big day for the word "woman." In addition to a slew of headlines about a recent change the Cambridge Dictionary made to the word, another dictionary appointed it the word of 2022. Dictionary.com announced that "woman" was its word of the year, noting...
Navy SEAL Who
Is Now Detransitioning
Dec 12, 2022 2:50 AM CST
Navy SEAL Who Famously Transitioned Is Now Detransitioning
Chris Beck says transitioning to female 'destroyed my life'
- Chris Beck, the former Navy SEAL who gained notoriety after coming out as transgender after leaving the military , is detransitioning. Beck, who was born Chris but lived as Kristin after coming out as trans, is now back to his birth name and tells conservative influencer Robby Starbuck that while he...
Dwyane Wade Battles Ex Over
Trans Daughter's Gender Shift
Nov 4, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Dwyane Wade Battles Ex Over Trans Daughter's Gender Shift
Siohvaughn Funches-Wade trying to block 15-year-old Zaya's name, gender change in court
- Over the summer, Dwyane Wade filed papers to legally change his transgender daughter's name and assigned gender, after many years of he and current wife, actress Gabrielle Union, speaking out about their support for 15-year-old Zaya's gender identity (Union is her stepmother). Now, his ex-wife is trying to...
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed
to Say Something When I Did'
Nov 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Radcliffe on Rowling: 'I Needed to Say Something When I Did'
'Harry Potter' actor comments on 'hurt' fans after author's remarks; Tom Felton weighs in, too
- In June 2020,
author JK Rowling posted a series of transphobic comments on Twitter—remarks she's only doubled down on since, per
. Her remarks led Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who played Harry Potter himself in the hit movie franchise, to publish an open letter on gender...
Transgender Tycoon Buys
Miss Universe Organization
Oct 27, 2022 10:44 AM CDT
Transgender Tycoon Buys Miss Universe Organization
Chakrapong Chakrajutathib is a prominent trans activist in Thailand
- A Thai business tycoon and transgender activist has purchased the Miss Universe Organization for $20 million, her company announced Wednesday. Chakrapong "Anne" Chakrajutathib, who controls JKN Global Group Public Co. Ltd., is a celebrity in Thailand who has starred in reality shows and is outspoken about being a transgender...
'Top Surgery' Is Becoming
More Common for Trans Teens
Sep 26, 2022 3:02 PM CDT
'Top Surgery' Is Becoming More Common for Trans Teens
Researchers say breast removal dramatically reduces distress, though some have concerns
- Breast removal—or "top surgery"—is an option being chosen by a small but growing number of transgender teens. Research has shown that top surgery has improved the lives of many transgender men, and while there has been less research on transgender adolescents, studies suggest that these teens...
Sep 17, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Youngkin Policy for Transgender Students Upends Northam's
Teachers can't be made to call students by name, pronouns of choice: draft of revamped guidelines
- A new draft for "model policies" within Virginia's public schools was released Friday, designed to replace those put in place in 2021 by former Gov. Ralph Northam for transgender and nonbinary students. Per WRIC , the new guidelines from the state's Department of Education under GOP Gov. Glenn...
Another Company Boots
Hate Site After Anti-Trans
Sep 6, 2022 5:19 AM CDT
Another Company Boots Hate Site After Anti-Trans Harassment Campaign
DDos-Guard drops Kiwi Farms after Cloudflare did the same
Russia-based web-hosting provider DDoS-Guard said Monday that it had stopped providing its services to Kiwi Farms, becoming the second provider in two days to abandon the stalking and harassment site and leaving it inaccessible on the public internet, the AP reports. DDoS-Guard said it doesn't have to decide...
Carlson's 'Lunatic' Slam Helps
Maren Morris Raise $100K
Sep 5, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Carlson's 'Lunatic' Slam Helps Maren Morris Raise $100K
Singer brought in the cash for trans groups after Fox host insulted her amid Brittany Aldean feud
- In a big "when life hands you lemons" move, Maren Morris has turned a feud with another performer's wife and a slam by Fox News' Tucker Carlson into a lucrative fundraiser for transgender rights.
walks back the timeline, noting that Brittany Aldean, an influencer and the spouse...
Teen Defeated Their
Into Her Gender
Aug 19, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Teen Defeated Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
Utah school cooperated with probe to confirm athlete had always been female
- The parents of the second- and third-place winners in a high school sports competition were suspicious about the female first-place winner who had bested their daughters. So they filed a complaint with the Utah High School Activities Association wondering whether the winner was transgender. The story was revealed Wednesday by...
Longtime ESPN Journalist
Comes Out as Transgender
Aug 11, 2022 4:55 AM CDT
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
MA Voepel says his dedication to covering women's sports is unchanged
- ESPN journalist MA Voepel, described by the network as "the foremost authority on women's basketball in both the collegiate and professional ranks," has come out as transgender. "In sports media, we're lucky to tell stories of others’ journeys," Voepel tweeted . "We have our...
Jun 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Chappelle Has Surprise News at Theater Dedication
Theater at his alma mater, Duke Ellington School, won't be named after him after all
- Just before Dave Chappelle's most recent Netflix special dropped, his alma mater, the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC, announced its theater would be named for the comedian, who pledged to donate $100,000 to teachers' wages. It's "the most significant honor of my...
Breaks With Dad
Jun 21, 2022 5:24 AM CDT
Elon Musk's Trans Daughter Breaks With Dad
Vivian, born Xavier, ditches famous last name
- One of Elon Musk's five children with his first wife is transgender, and wants to make a clean break from her famous father. Born Xavier Musk, the newly 18-year-old has filed documents to change her name to Vivian Jenna Wilson. The reason given, per TMZ : "Gender Identity and...
The Rules Are Changing
for Transgender Swimmers
Jun 19, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
The Rules Are Changing for Transgender Swimmers
World governing body restricts participation and plans an 'open' category
- The governing body of world swimming has approved restrictions on the participation of transgender athletes in top competitions. Only athletes who have completed transitioning by age 12 will be allowed to compete, the BBC reports. The new rules received 71% of the vote Sunday from the 152 FINA members meeting...
In Poll, Most Say Trans Women
Have Unfair Edge in Sports
Jun 14, 2022 3:08 PM CDT
In Poll, Most Say Trans Women Have Unfair Edge in Sports
Findings apply to high school, college, and pro levels
- More Americans identify as transgender than ever, and acceptance of trans people in general is on the rise. But a new poll suggests that one area remains controversial: trans girls and women competing in sports. Most Americans are opposed to the idea on the grounds of fairness, according to the...
New Data Sheds
Light on Adults
Who Say They're
Jun 9, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
New Data Sheds Light on Adults Who Say They're Transgender
More than 5% of those surveyed between ages of 18 and 29 identify as trans or nonbinary, per Pew
- According to new data from the Pew Research Center , more people than ever before say they identify as or know someone who's transgender (meaning their gender doesn't match the sex they were assigned at birth) or nonbinary, meaning someone who doesn't identify within the confines of just...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.