Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Iran nuclear facilities
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iranian Move a 'Challenge'
to World's Nonproliferation
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Iranian Move a 'Challenge' to World's Nonproliferation
Per IRNA, nation is enriching uranium to 60% purity, a step away from weapons-grade levels
- Iran has begun producing enriched uranium at 60% purity at the country's underground Fordo nuclear plant, official media reported Tuesday, describing it as a response to a resolution by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog. The increased enrichment, reported by the official news agency IRNA, was seen as a significant...
Iran Nuclear Power Plant
Has Emergency Shutdown
Jun 21, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Iran Nuclear Power Plant Has Emergency Shutdown
Situation is temporary, has not been explained
- Iran’s sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday. An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said on a talk show that the Bushehr plant shutdown began on Saturday and would last "for three to four days....
Iran: Power Outage at
Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Apr 11, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Iran: Power Outage at Plant Was 'Nuclear Terrorism'
Israel may have been behind the cyberattack, its media reports
- Iran has described a blackout at its underground Natanz atomic installation on Sunday an act of "nuclear terrorism." No injuries or leaks were caused by the problem with the power distribution network, the BBC reports. The head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization didn't accuse anyone of...
2 Big Moves
Against the West
Jan 4, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Iran Makes 2 Big Moves Against the West
Country seizes South Korean tanker, increases nuclear enrichment
- Iran began enriching uranium Monday to levels unseen since its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers and also seized a South Korean-flagged tanker near the crucial Strait of Hormuz, a double-barreled challenge to the West that further raised Mideast tensions. Both decisions appeared aimed at increasing Tehran's leverage in...
Fire, Explosion Shake
Iranian Nuclear Site
Jul 2, 2020 5:14 PM CDT
Fire, Explosion Shake Iranian Nuclear Site
Nation has had two other blasts in the past week
- A fire and an explosion struck a centrifuge production plant above Iran's underground Natanz nuclear enrichment facility Thursday, analysts said, one of the most tightly guarded sites in all of the Islamic Republic. The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran sought to play down the fire, calling it an "...
Iran Begins Uranium Gas
Injections Into Centrifuges
Nov 7, 2019 12:31 AM CST
Iran Begins Uranium Gas Injections Into Centrifuges
Move is major step away from nuclear deal
- Iran injected uranium gas into centrifuges at its underground Fordo nuclear complex early Thursday, taking its most-significant step away from its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers . Tehran also acknowledged blocking an official from the International Atomic Energy Agency from visiting its nuclear site at Natanz last week, the first...
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
Jul 8, 2019 3:41 PM CDT
Iran Breaches Uranium Limits
It's now enriching uranium to 4.5%
- Iran on Monday began enriching uranium to 4.5%, just breaking the limit set by its nuclear deal with world powers, while it is still seeking a way for Europe to help it bypass US sanctions amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington. The acknowledgement by the spokesman of the...
Iran Set to Breach
Jul 7, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Iran Set to Breach Uranium Limits
That's another blow to the 2015 nuclear deal
- Iran announced Sunday it will increase its uranium enrichment to an unspecified level beyond the terms of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, reports the AP , breaking another limit set under the accord and furthering heightening tensions between Tehran and the US. Setting another unspecified 60-day deadline for the...
Iran Pulls Back
From Nuclear Deal
May 8, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Iran Pulls Back From Nuclear Deal
Country says it will start keeping excess uranium
- Iran's president said Wednesday that the country will begin keeping its excess uranium and heavy water from its nuclear program, setting a 60-day deadline for new terms to its nuclear deal with world powers before it will resume higher uranium enrichment. Hassan Rouhani's address to the nation came...
Israel Claims Iran Has
'Secret Nuclear Warehouse'
Sep 28, 2018 12:40 AM CDT
Israel Claims Iran Has 'Secret Nuclear Warehouse'
'What Iran hides, Israel will find'
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Iran on Thursday of keeping a "secret atomic warehouse" just outside its capital, despite the 2015 deal with world powers that was meant to keep it from obtaining nuclear weapons. Hours later, Iran dismissed the allegation. Holding up a poster-board map of an...
Chances of Trump Staying
in Iran Deal 'Very Small'
May 8, 2018 4:09 AM CDT
Chances of Trump Staying in Iran Deal 'Very Small'
President says he'll announce his decision Tuesday
- President Trump says he will announce his decision on the Iran nuclear deal at 2pm Tuesday—and he's widely expected to declare that the US is pulling out. European diplomats who've been trying to change the president's mind now say the chances of him staying in the...
Iran: We Executed Nuke Scientist Who Spied for US
Aug 7, 2016 6:33 AM CDT
Iran: We Executed Nuke Scientist Who Spied for US
Shahram Amiri had turned up in US, was returned to Iran in 2010
- Iran has executed a nuclear scientist who gave the US intelligence about the country's contested nuclear program, Iran's official news agency, IRNA, is confirming. The Sunday report quotes a spokesman for the Iranian judiciary, Gholamhosein Mohseni Ejehi, as confirming the execution of Shahram Amiri . He says Amiri "...
Iran OKs Bill
for Nuke Deal
Oct 11, 2015 10:41 AM CDT
Iran OKs Bill Clearing Way for Nuke Deal
Tehran will let itself back out if sanctions aren't dropped
- Iran's parliament on Sunday approved an outline of a bill that would allow the government to implement a historic nuclear deal reached with world powers, the official IRNA news agency said. The bill allows the government to withdraw from implementing the agreement if world powers do not lift sanctions,...
Gave Us Nuke
but It's OK
Sep 21, 2015 10:40 AM CDT
IAEA: Iran Gave Us Nuke Test Samples, but It's OK
Yukiya Amano vouches for 'authenticity' of samples taken from Parchin site
- It's been 10 years since International Atomic Energy Agency reps have visited Iran's Parchin military site, but they were there yesterday to inspect a building and take environmental samples as part of their quest to keep a sharp eye on the country's nuclear machinations, Reuters reports. Yukiya...
Iran Nuke Deal's
Jul 14, 2015 8:08 AM CDT
Iran Nuke Deal's Next Battle: Congress
Congress will have 60 days to review before making its move
- The rigorous negotiation phase is over, but the landmark Iran nuclear deal now faces what the
Wall Street Journal
calls a "wall of resistance" in Congress. "It's going to be a very hard sell," Mitch McConnell said on
Fox News Sunday
, raising doubt that any deal...
Here's What the
Iran Nuke Deal Means
Jul 14, 2015 6:58 AM CDT
Here's What the Iran Nuke Deal Means
18 days of talks finally produce historic deal
- After 18 days of intense and often fractious negotiation—not to mention 20 months of "tortuous talks," as CNN puts it—world powers and Iran have today struck a landmark deal to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for billions of dollars in relief from international sanctions—...
For 3rd Time in Year,
Iran Talks Blow
Apr 1, 2015 7:40 AM CDT
For 3rd Time in Year, Iran Talks Blow Past Deadline
3 foreign ministers departed overnight, and it's unclear what that means
- Negotiations over Iran's nuclear program resumed in Switzerland today but were almost immediately beset by competing claims, just hours after diplomats abandoned a March 31 deadline to reach a deal outline and agreed to press on. Eager to avoid a collapse in the discussions, the US and others claimed...
Deals Blow to
Iran Nuke Deal
Jul 15, 2014 3:08 AM CDT
Clock Ticking, Ayatollah Deals Blow to Iran Nuke Deal
Appears to undercut negotiators in new speech
- A Sunday deadline is looming for Iran to strike a nuclear deal with six world powers under a plan set in motion last year —but with just days to go, Iran's supreme leader has made the chances of a deal being forged in time look supremely unlikely. In...
Quake Kills 7
Near Iran Nuke Plant
Nov 28, 2013 11:15 PM CST
Quake Kills 7 Near Iran Nuke Plant
Bushehr reactor undamaged by 5.8 temblor
- For the second time this year, a deadly earthquake has struck close to Iran's only nuclear reactor—and rattled neighbors across the Persian Gulf. The 5.8 magnitude quake that hit 38 miles north of the Bushehr nuclear power plant, in the same region where a slightly stronger quake...
'Not Built on Trust'
talk show roundup
Nov 24, 2013 12:01 PM CST
Kerry: Iran Nuclear Deal 'Not Built on Trust'
It's 'based on verification,' he says
- If you're finding yourself a bit wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran last night because,
hey, why are we suddenly trusting these guys?
... John Kerry would like to reassure you: The deal is "not based on trust. It's based on verification," he said on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
Fate of Thousands of Convicts May Lie in This One Word
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.