Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
When Relationships Get Rocky,
'Thank You' Really Helps
Dec 24, 2022 8:00 AM CST
When Relationships Get Rocky, 'Thank You' Really Helps
Study: Gratitude has protective effects against poor communication, financial stress
- Gratitude may be the best gift you can give your partner this holiday season, or so suggests a recent study that looked at the impact gratitude has on relationships. A team led by Allen W. Barton of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign spent 15 months studying 316 African American couples,...
If Your Marriage Needs Help,
This Book Offers Some
Oct 1, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
If Your Marriage Needs Help, This Book Offers Some
The Gottmans are famed marriage experts, and their new book offers a 7-day plan
- Google "famous marriage researchers" and you'll get an entire page of results about the Gottmans. John and Julie Gottman have been married since 1987, and they're prolific on the research front: They run the Gottman Institute, have hundreds of therapists certified in their methods, and have written...
Why Heartbroken Men
Are Turning to Reddit
Nov 10, 2021 2:28 PM CST
Why Heartbroken Men Are Turning to Reddit
With stigma, they may feel unable to express relationship issues in more traditional contexts
- Research carried out in clinical and counselling settings has suggested men tend to avoid relationship problems and keep partners at a distance, reports Insider . But that may be the result of researchers looking for answers in the wrong places, according to a new study, which finds men are more likely...
Study: Here's Why People
Cheat, and What Happens
May 9, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Study: Here's Why People Cheat, and What Happens
495 cheaters explain what made them cheat and what their affair was like
- Why do people cheat and what does that affair look like?
reports a recent study came up with some pretty fascinating answers. Researchers turned to an unnamed US university and Reddit boards focused on relationships to recruit 495 people who copped to cheating. In a study published in...
Mar 15, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Couple's Breakup Solution: Handcuffs
These constantly bickering Ukrainians are definitely creative
- When Viktoria Pustovitova told Alexandr Kudlay she wanted to break up with him (again) after a relationship marred by constant fighting, Kudlay didn't write her a love poem, buy her flowers, or blast romantic ballads with a boom box outside her bedroom window. Instead, the 33-year-old Ukrainian had a...
More to Say About
Dec 22, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Ex-Journo Has More to Say About Her Shkreli Relationship
Christie Smythe follows up on viral story in 'Elle' about falling in love with 'Pharma Bro'
- Former Bloomberg journalist Christie Smythe's "jaw-dropping" story about falling in love with Martin Shkreli had the internet buzzing on Sunday and Monday, and now she's following up with
, where her tale first appeared. Smythe once more spoke with interviewer Stephanie Clifford, who notes it's been...
Match CEO: 'First Date'
May Be Forever Changed
Sep 15, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Match CEO: 'First Date' May Be Forever Changed
People are willing to date virtually only, and that could stick
- More and more relationships will be formed online and on dating apps, according to Shar Dubey, the CEO of Match Group, which owns Match.com, Tinder, OkCupid and Hinge. Speaking to Axios , Dubey says she expects "long-lasting, consequential changes" to the dating scene, even after the pandemic is over....
Couple Weds Where Their
Young Love Went Awry
Dec 29, 2019 3:20 PM CST
Couple Weds Where Their Young Love Went Awry
Valerie Sneade and Jason Roy return to Dunkin' Donuts to say 'I do'
- A Massachusetts couple reunited for extra-sweet wedding vows at the same Dunkin' Donuts where their young love splintered nearly 30 years ago, the AP reports. Valerie Sneade and Jason Roy were married Friday afternoon, joined by family, friends, and customers buying coffee and pastries at the Dunkin' Donuts on Grafton...
The Single Life
May Beat Being in
All but the Best
Oct 21, 2019 7:05 PM CDT
The Single Life May Beat Being in All but the Best Relationships
Researchers measured participants' positive and negative feelings
- By most measures, researchers say, single people may be better off than people in all but the happiest of romantic relationships. A new study that measured romantic relationships and singlehood found the old saw that "being single is better than being in a bad relationship" held. But by six...
Book: 'I Am
Not a Christian'
Jul 29, 2019 9:18 AM CDT
Christian Who Wrote Anti-Dating Book: 'I Am Not a Christian'
Joshua Harris getting divorced, apologizing to LGBT community, saying dating actually is OK
- More than 20 years ago, he wrote a popular Christian guide to relationships that said dating—including holding hands, kissing, and couples spending time alone together—was bad and a "training ground" for divorce. Now, after pointing out the "flaws" more than a year ago in his
PM Has Called Trump Unfit.
US Ambassador Isn't Worried
Jul 26, 2019 1:20 PM CDT
PM Has Called Trump Unfit. US Ambassador Isn't Worried
Woody Johnson says relationship between Boris Johnson, US president will be 'sensational'
- President Trump thinks the United Kingdom's new prime minister will be "great," and the US ambassador to the UK seems to share similar optimism not only for Johnson's ability to, like Trump, "get things done," but also on the two leaders' future dealings. "...
Love Seekers Lost $143M
to Scammers in 2018: FTC
Feb 13, 2019 9:15 AM CST
Love Seekers Lost $143M to Scammers in 2018: FTC
That's more than any other type of consumer fraud found by the agency last year
- If you wanted the Federal Trade Commission's take on Valentine's Day, here it is: Beware of getting scammed seeking love online. The warning comes via the agency's latest revelation, which cites more than 21,000 reports of people getting swindled by internet "paramours" in 2018, NPR...
It Could Be the End of
Curiosity That Dooms Love
Aug 18, 2017 4:21 PM CDT
It Could Be the End of Curiosity That Dooms Love
That's what writer, chaplain Kerry Egan posits in 'Modern Love' column
- When we lose the desire to learn any more about our partner, is the relationship doomed? That's the idea at the heart of author and chaplain Kerry Egan's "Modern Love" column in the
New York Times
, which starts with a story about how her husband traumatized her...
How to Know When You've
Been 'Love Bombed'
Aug 4, 2017 10:57 AM CDT
How to Know When You've Been 'Love Bombed'
'Healthy relationships ... are based on a series of actions, not a flood of words'
- Love at first sight may actually be a warning sign. That's according to experts cautioning people in new relationships about so-called "love bombing." Not familiar with the term?
"delve[s] into the worrying behaviors of a 'love bomber,'" explaining that it takes...
Man Refuses to Date 'Hot
Women,' Riles Up the Internet
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 14, 2017 2:00 AM CDT
Man Refuses to Date 'Hot Women,' Riles Up the Internet
His fiancee isn't too happy, either
- Hoo-boy. The
New York Post
ran a story Wednesday titled "Why I won't date hot women anymore" featuring an interview with a 40-year-old private equity executive who boasts he "could have [anyone] I wanted." Dan Rochkind says he used to go on multiple dates a week...
Best Cities for Singles
Looking for Love
Feb 13, 2017 11:47 AM CST
Best Cities for Singles Looking for Love
On opposite ends of spectrum: Bakersfield and Sarasota
- In time for Valentine's Day, Trulia has crunched some numbers on the whereabouts of singles. For those playing a numbers game, these two lists are based purely on the ratio of single men to single women. Here are the 10 cities with the best ratios for single women looking...
To Get Into This
Teacher's Class, You
Need a Special Handshake
Feb 3, 2017 12:32 PM CST
To Get Into This Teacher's Class, You Need a Special Handshake
Each student gets a personalized one in Barry White Jr.'s classroom
- We'd like to shake Barry White Jr.'s hand—mainly to praise him for his inspirational teaching methods, but also because we want our own personalized handshake. Per KGW , the fifth-grade literacy teacher at Ashley Park Elementary School in Charlotte, NC, has long been a fan of creative...
Time to Toss
Sep 27, 2016 6:14 PM CDT
Bachelors, It's Time to Toss Your Gross Old Pillows
Seriously, no one wants to sleep on those: Serena Golden
- If you've braved the world of dating, there's one undeniable fact of which you are likely aware: Single men have terrible pillows. The guy you're dating might have one good pillow (which he insists on using himself) or he might have nothing but bad pillows. Either way,...
Make Your Love Stronger
Sep 17, 2016 11:15 AM CDT
Binge-Watching Can Make Your Love Stronger
Study says it brings couples closer together
- Sure, you could find more imaginative—and intimate—ways of spending time together. But if at the end of the day you find yourself camped out in front of the TV watching a favorite show with your partner, that's probably OK for your relationship, too—at least according to...
Joe Biden and Son
Talk Fast Cars and Family
May 19, 2016 11:44 AM CDT
Joe Biden and Son Talk Fast Cars and Family
'Popular Mechanics' interview offers glimpse into their tight-knit family
- Father's Day is still a few weeks away, but that didn't stop Joe Biden and his son Hunter from waxing about father-son relationships and other family-themed topics for
. The exclusive interview, titled "Things My Father Taught Me," touched on everything from how they bond...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.