Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Supreme Court Will Again
Take Up ObamaCare
Mar 2, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Supreme Court Will Again Take Up ObamaCare
Health care law will head back to SCOTUS in upcoming term
- The Supreme Court agreed Monday to decide a lawsuit that threatens the Obama-era health care law, but the decision is not likely until after the 2020 election. The court said it would hear an appeal by 20 mainly Democratic states of a lower-court ruling that declared part of the statute...
Natalie Portman Uses
Cape to Call Out Academy
Feb 10, 2020 12:45 AM CST
Natalie Portman Uses Cape to Call Out Academy
It was embroidered with names of female directors
- Natalie Portman used her cape to send a message to the Academy on the red carpet at this year's Oscars. Portman—who presented the award for best adapted screenplay to
—had the names of female directors not nominated by the Academy embroidered in gold on the left...
Appeals Court Issues
Ruling on ObamaCare
Jan 29, 2020 7:30 PM CST
Appeals Court Issues Ruling on ObamaCare
The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals declines to reconsider individual mandate
- Reconsider the constitutionality of ObamaCare? We'd rather not. So said the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals Wednesday in a mostly partisan 8-6 vote that left the health-care law in legal limbo, CNN reports. The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals made its decision after ruling 2-1 in December that...
Supreme Court Declines to
Fast-Track ObamaCare Review
Jan 21, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Supreme Court Declines to Fast-Track ObamaCare Review
Trump, red states had asked the high court to decline Democrats' request, and it did
- The Supreme Court refused Tuesday to consider a fast-track review of a lawsuit that threatens the Obama-era health care law, making it highly unlikely that the justices would decide the case before the 2020 election, the AP reports. The court denied a request by 20 mainly Democratic states and the...
20 States Ask
to Rule Quickly
Jan 3, 2020 5:15 PM CST
20 States Ask Supreme Court to Rule Quickly on ObamaCare
House, Democratic attorneys general request a decision before the elections
- A group of states whose governments are run by Democrats has joined the House in asking the Supreme Court to take up a lawsuit seeking to cancel ObamaCare immediately. The Democrats want the case decided before the elections in November, which would mean the court would have to issue a...
Numbers Are In
Dec 20, 2019 4:10 PM CST
ObamaCare 2020 Numbers Are In
More than 8M sign up, despite uncertainty
- More than 8 million people have signed up for coverage next year under former President Obama's health care law, the government said Friday, showing continued demand for the program despite uncertainty over its future. Preliminary numbers from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services showed that 8.3 million...
New Ruling Goes
Dec 18, 2019 4:40 PM CST
New Ruling Goes Against Obamacare
Federal appeals court issues a 2-1 ruling
- A federal appeals court says the "individual mandate" of former President Barack Obama’s health care law is invalid, but other parts of the law need further review, the AP reports. Wednesday’s 2-1 ruling was handed down by a three-judge panel of the 5th US Circuit Court of...
Dec 16, 2019 4:14 PM CST
HealthCare.gov Glitches Get Obamacare Deadline Extended
You now have until Wednesday to enroll
- People will get more time to sign up for “Obamacare” health insurance, the Trump administration announced Monday, following a spate of computer glitches over the weekend. The new HealthCare.gov deadline is 3am Eastern time on Wednesday, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said in a statement, per...
Biden Makes His Case:
We Can't Kill ObamaCare
Jul 15, 2019 10:28 AM CDT
Biden Makes His Case: We Can't Kill ObamaCare
He wants to modify it, not scrap it through a 'Medicare for All' approach
- Joe Biden is taking an aggressive approach to defending the Affordable Care Act, challenging not just President Trump but also some of his Democratic rivals who want to replace the current insurance system with a fully government-run model, per the AP . The former vice president will spend much of the...
'Case With Enormous Stakes':
ObamaCare in Court Once More
Jul 9, 2019 2:48 PM CDT
'Case With Enormous Stakes': ObamaCare in Court Once More
Validity of healthcare law is subject of appeal hearing
- An appeals court was to hear arguments Tuesday on whether Congress effectively invalidated former President Obama's entire signature healthcare law when it zeroed out the tax imposed on those who chose not to buy insurance. It is unclear when the three-judge panel of the 5th US Circuit Court of...
Trump Administration Asks
Court to Kill All of ObamaCare
May 2, 2019 7:28 AM CDT
Trump Administration Asks Court to Kill All of ObamaCare
They say it would be wrong to only strike down parts of it
- The Trump administration says it wants to euthanize ObamaCare, not perform surgery on it. In a court filing Wednesday, the administration and a coalition of 18 Republican-led states formally asked a federal appeals court to strike down the entire Affordable Care Act, the
New York Times
reports. In the filing...
Trump Renews Criticism
of John McCain
Apr 26, 2019 9:16 AM CDT
Trump Renews Criticism of John McCain
Widow Cindy McCain disputes report she will endorse Joe Biden
- President Trump renewed his criticism of the late John McCain on Thursday, telling Sean Hannity of Fox News that McCain "did the nation a tremendous disservice" when he voted against a Republican bill to repeal ObamaCare in 2017. "John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the...
Trump: ObamaCare Plan
Will Wait Until After 2020
Apr 2, 2019 7:13 AM CDT
Trump: ObamaCare Plan Will Wait Until After 2020
President won't push for an alternative before the election
- President Trump shifted strategy on ObamaCare in a series of late-night tweets: He still hates it, but he won't push for a Republican alternative until after the 2020 election, reports Bloomberg . "Everybody agrees that ObamaCare doesn’t work," he wrote . "Premiums & deductibles are far too...
of the Week
Mar 29, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Trump Dealt His Second Health-Care Blow of the Week
His small-business health insurance plan is struck down
- The Trump administration once again set its sights on ObamaCare this week , but it was also a week spent absorbing health-care punches, not just throwing them. Blow one: A federal judge on Wednesday blocked Medicaid work requirements in Arkansas and Kentucky. Blow two: Another federal judge on Thursday struck down...
Democrats 'Thrilled' by
Trump's ObamaCare Move
Mar 27, 2019 6:45 AM CDT
Democrats 'Thrilled' by Trump's ObamaCare Move
Return to issue 'a birthday present for Pelosi'
- Democrats feeling dejected after the Robert Mueller report failed to meet their expectations didn't have to wait long for a boost. On Monday, the Trump administration asked a federal appeals court to strike down ObamaCare , giving Democrats an opportunity to return to a key campaign issue. The administration, which...
Trump Makes New
Move on Obamacare
Mar 26, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
Trump Makes New Move on Obamacare
Trump administration says the whole law should be struck down
- The Trump administration has told a federal appeals court it wants the entire Affordable Care Act struck down, an outcome that could leave millions uninsured and revive a winning political issue for Democrats, the AP reports. The administration, in a terse filing Monday with the court in New Orleans, said...
Judge Who Dumped ACA:
It Can Stay for Now
Dec 31, 2018 9:22 AM CST
Judge Who Dumped ACA: It Can Stay for Now
Federal judge says ObamaCare will remain in place while appeals play out
- A federal judge in Texas who recently declared the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional has stayed his ruling to allow for appeals. That means ObamaCare remains in effect while litigation continues, reports the AP . In a ruling issued Sunday, Judge Reed O'Connor in Fort Worth wrote that he stands by...
Bombshell ObamaCare Ruling
Hinges on a Key Principle
Dec 17, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Bombshell ObamaCare Ruling Hinges on a Key Principle
And some think Texas judge Reed O'Connor overreached on 'severability'
- A Texas judge delivered a bombshell ruling on ObamaCare Friday night, declaring that the Affordable Care Act is unconstitutional. US District Court Judge Reed O'Connor ruled that the individual mandate—the penalty those who forgo insurance must pay—is unconstitutional. And because the individual mandate is so integral to...
Federal Judge's Ruling
on ACA an 'Assault'
Dec 15, 2018 6:00 AM CST
Federal Judge's Ruling on ACA an 'Assault' on Americans
ObamaCare has been deemed unconstitutional; the appeals process gears up
- The Supreme Court has twice voted (in 2012 and 2015) to keep the Affordable Care Act in place; it may soon see its third big case related to the health care law. That's because US District Court Judge Reed O’Connor of Texas has responded to a suit from...
New ObamaCare Numbers
May 15, 2018 7:28 AM CDT
New ObamaCare Numbers Look 'Troubling'
Rates are going up by double digits and younger, healthier enrollees are leaving
- Three states so far have come out with preliminary premium-rate requests for ObamaCare in 2019, and a column by Catherine Rampell at the
suggests that a "death spiral" is underway for the health insurance program. Maryland's average rate increase is 30%, Virginia's is 13.4%,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.