Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports about lottery winners on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't
Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Nov 14, 2022 5:55 PM CST
$2.04B Powerball Winner Won't Pay State Tax on Jackpot
Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't tax lottery winnings
- California is one of the highest-taxed states but whoever won the $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot last week is probably glad they don't live elsewhere. Unlike 36 other states, California doesn't charge state income tax on lottery winnings, which is "like winning a second $123 million jackpot"...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Winners of $1.34B
Mega Millions Jackpot
'Over the Moon'
Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Winners of $1.34B Mega Millions Jackpot 'Over the Moon'
Illinois pair finally steps forward to claim prize, is choosing to stay anonymous
Mystery solved—kind of. Until this week, it wasn't clear if the person(s) who'd won the second-biggest Mega Millions lottery ever, a staggering $1.34 billion jackpot, knew they'd purchased the winning ticket in Illinois, let alone who that was. Now, at least the first half...
Guy's Joke About Lottery
Win Proves a Prescient One
Sep 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Guy's Joke About Lottery Win Proves a Prescient One
Charles Smith of Newport News, Va., joked with wife he'd hit it big, then won nearly $230K
- Charles Smith is probably joking about a lot more these days. That's because a wisecrack he made to his wife earlier this summer turned out to be prescient, and he's now nearly $230,000 richer, per WAVY . The man from Newport News, Va., was saying goodbye one day...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Ride Is Over
Jul 30, 2022 8:24 AM CDT
Our Wild Mega Millions Ride Is Over
Winning ticket was sold in Illinois
- The next Mega Millions drawing is on Tuesday, and the jackpot will be a measly $20 million. That's because someone did indeed choose the six winning numbers for Friday night's drawing, and it's a singular someone, reports the AP . Only one ticket was sold with the numbers...
After 20 Years,
Lottery Club Wins
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
After 20 Years, Lottery Club Wins 'Life-Changing' Jackpot
Michigan co-workers took weeks to realize they had winning ticket
- After 20 years of playing together, members of a Michigan lottery club are getting a massive payday—but it took them a while to find out about it. The Lunch Bunch Crew lottery club won the $1.85 million jackpot in the June 18 Lotto 47 draw and opted to...
Lottery Winner Credits
TV Show for His Luck
Jun 27, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Lottery Winner Credits TV Show for His Luck
South Carolina winner uses strategy from TLC program
- Odds are that most people who try this strategy are going to lose about $300. A South Carolina man, however, got lucky and won a $100,000 prize. And as CNN reports, the unidentified man credits the strategy he picked up while watching TLC's show
The Lottery Changed My
$10M Lottery Winner
Gets Life Without Parole
May 30, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
$10M Lottery Winner Gets Life Without Parole
Michael Todd Hill guilty of murdering Keonna Graham
: A North Carolina man who won a $10 million jackpot five years ago will never spend money as a free man again. Michael Todd Hill, 54, was convicted of first-degree murder Friday and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole, the
News & Observer
Lottery Winner: Clerk's
'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Apr 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Lottery Winner: Clerk's 'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Iowa's Josh Buster won $1M
- An Iowa man says a miscue made by a convenience store clerk led to his $1 million jackpot. Josh Buster asked for five "easy-pick" plays at a store in West Burlington, but the clerk mistakenly printed just one, reports CNN . The clerk asked the 40-year-old chef if he wanted...
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free,
Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
Apr 21, 2022 10:26 AM CDT
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free, Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
After he wouldn't take payment, his friend spent the money on scratch cards
- "A good deed is its own reward," the saying goes—but for a northern Massachusetts man, a massive financial reward for helping a friend arrived within an hour. State lottery officials say Methuen guitar store owner John Galvin refused to accept payment when his friend Eric Cochrane brought...
'Some Rude Person'
She Won $10M
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
'Some Rude Person' Bumped Her—and She Won $10M
LaQuedra Edwards accidentally bought a winning ticket
- LaQuedra Edwards did not want to buy a $30 lottery scratch-off ticket. When she put her $40 into the California Lottery Scratchers vending machine at a Tarzana supermarket in November of last year, her plan was to buy her usual selection of lower-priced tickets. But then "some rude person"...
She Realized She Was a $110K
Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Apr 4, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
She Realized She Was a $110K Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Va.'s Mary Elliott had already thrown her ticket in the trash; luckily, she found it
- It's not clear why Mary Elliott threw away a lottery ticket before finding out whether she'd won, but what is clear is that she'll probably never prematurely toss such a ticket again. The woman from Buckingham County, Va., won $110,000 in her state's Cash 5...
Scratch-Off Player Wins
a Second $10M Payoff
Feb 27, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Scratch-Off Player Wins a Second $10M Payoff
Juan Hernandez cashed in the first time in 2019
- Juan Hernandez is starting to get good at this. The Long Island man claimed a $10 million prize in a New York Lottery Deluxe scratch-off game last week—his second windfall, after winning his first $10 million in a scratch-off game in 2019, per WNBC . The New York Lottery said...
Man's Fortune Cookie Pays
Off Bigger Than Anticipated
Feb 2, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Man's Fortune Cookie Pays Off Bigger Than Anticipated
NC's Gabriel Fierro used numbers inside cookie to play Mega Millions, won $4M
- Some fortune cookies predict good fortune. Others apparently directly deliver it. That was the case for North Carolina's Gabriel Fierro, who won a $4 million Mega Millions prize after playing the numbers he found inside a fortune cookie, WSLS reports. Per the North Carolina Education Lottery , Fierro—a 60-year-old...
Woman Checks Spam,
Finds a $3M Treat
Jan 25, 2022 11:04 AM CST
Woman Checks Spam, Finds a $3M Treat
Michigan's Laura Spears was a big winner in Mega Millions draw; notice went to spam folder
- Usually when an email in your spam folder announces you've won millions of dollars, it's a scam. Luckily for Michigan's Laura Spears, she believed the email in her spam folder that appeared to have come from the Michigan Lottery and is now $3 million richer as a...
He Went to
Milk for His
Kids, Won Big
Jan 1, 2022 8:00 AM CST
He Went to Get Chocolate Milk for His Kids, Won Big
Virginia's Dennis Willoughby scoops up $1M lottery jackpot after 7-Eleven run
- A Virginia dad who made a chocolate milk run for his kids came home with a lot more than cow juice. According to Virginia Lottery official s, Dennis Willoughby headed over to his local 7-Eleven in Richmond last month to pick up the beverage for his young ones, but while...
Man Buys Identical Lottery
Tickets and Wins Twice
Dec 5, 2021 1:35 PM CST
Man Buys Identical Lottery Tickets and Wins Twice
2 tickets, 2 jackpots
- A North Carolina man is feeling very lucky...for being so forgetful. Per CNN , 49-year-old Scotty Thomas bought one of the state's Lucky for Life tickets online for $2 but later couldn't recall whether he'd done so or not. “I was just laying in bed watching...
His Lottery Ticket
Held a Good Omen,
Was a Big Win
Dec 1, 2021 10:05 AM CST
His Lottery Ticket Held a Good Omen, Was a Big Win
Heart surgery patient Alexander McLeish found his initials on ticket before winning $1M prize
- When Alexander McLeish was recovering from open-heart surgery last month, a friend bought the Massachusetts man a "get well" card and put three scratch-off tickets inside. Turns out one of those tickets was a winner, netting the Attleboro man a $1 million prize, reports WWLP . Per a release from...
Giving In to Wife’s Demands
Turns Out Well for Him
Nov 6, 2021 10:13 AM CDT
Giving In to Wife’s Demands Turns Out Well for Him
She wanted to buy a lottery ticket and he wanted to rush home and watch football
- A man in Missouri got what could be the ultimate lesson in marriage: Sometimes, saying “yes, dear” can pay off. In his case, it really, really paid off. The Jackson County man, not identified by Missouri Lottery officials, just wanted to drive home and watch the football game on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.