Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and reports about lottery winners on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Wanted Anonymity After
Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Sep 22, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
She Wanted Anonymity After Powerball Win, Didn't Get It
Cristy Davis advocates for winners being able to stay anonymous after scammers exploited her
- No one matched all the requisite numbers in Wednesday's Powerball drawing, which has sent the jackpot for Saturday night's picks to $725 million . Winning such a huge lottery is a moment most of us have daydreamed about, but Cristy Davis actually lived that dream, after claiming a $70...
Mega Millions Has
Its Newest Billionaire
Aug 9, 2023 5:37 AM CDT
Mega Millions Has Its Newest Billionaire
Winning ticket for $1.58B Mega Millions jackpot was purchased at a Publix in Neptune Beach
- Someone in Florida won a $1.58 billion Mega Millions jackpot Tuesday night, ending a stretch of lottery futility that had lasted for nearly four months. A Publix grocery store in Neptune Beach sold the winning ticket, according to the Florida Lottery. The winning numbers drawn were: 13, 19, 20,...
Waste Collectors Kept Playing
the Lottery. Finally, a Big Win
Aug 1, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Waste Collectors Kept Playing the Lottery. Finally, a Big Win
11 poverty-stricken women in Indian state of Kerala win $1.2M prize with ticket they chipped in on
- A group of 11 women who build public toilets and collect non-biodegradable waste from homes in Parappanangadi, an Indian town in the state of Kerala, typically bring home the equivalent of $3 a day for their efforts. Now, these sanitation workers can relax a little about their bills after hitting...
Formerly Unhoused Woman
Wins $5M in California Lottery
May 7, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Formerly Unhoused Woman Wins $5M in California Lottery
Just five years ago, Lucia Forseth was homeless
- Formerly homeless Lucia Forseth is now rolling in dough after nabbing $5 million from the California lottery, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. Her lucky break came during a pit stop at a Contra Costa County Walmart for an oil change. With time to kill, she bought a single Scratchers...
Winner of US' Biggest Jackpot
Scoops Up Quite a Home
in case you missed it
Mar 12, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
Winner of US' Biggest Jackpot Scoops Up Quite a Home
Edwin Castro plunks down $25.5M on jaw-dropping mansion in the Hollywood Hills section of LA
- A "bonkers" mansion boasting a panoramic view of Los Angeles and a list price of almost $30 million popped up in the
last summer, with the magazine noting it seemed like the type of abode "you'd rarely need to leave." That coveted 13,578-square-foot...
$1.35B Mega Millions Winner
to Collect a Lot Less Than That
Feb 23, 2023 7:28 AM CST
$1.35B Mega Millions Winner to Collect a Lot Less Than That
The person, remaining anonymous, will receive roughly $500M after taxes
- The winner of the $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot has come forward to collect the prize, but their identity remains a mystery. The Maine State Lottery said Wednesday that the winner chose a lump-sum payment of $723.5 million before taxes through a limited liability company, LaKoma Island Investments...
Winner of $2.04B Powerball
Feb 14, 2023 5:02 PM CST
Winner of $2.04B Powerball Jackpot Revealed
Edwin Castro was 'shocked, ecstatic'
- The winner of November's record-breaking $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot has been revealed as Edwin Castro. He has opted to take the $997.6 million lump sum payment—and because he lives in California, he won't pay state income tax on it. Castro declined to appear at an...
Woman Wins $175K
at Office Gift Exchange
Dec 19, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Woman Wins $175K at Office Gift Exchange
Kentucky woman's first choice at the white elephant gift exchange was a $25 gift card
- A Kentucky woman was disappointed when somebody "stole" a $25 TJ Maxx gift card from her during a holiday party gift exchange game, but she ended up with a gift worth 7,000 times more. Lori Janes, an office manager at a dental center in Louisville, chose $25 in...
The Odds of This Lottery
Outcome Are Just Insane
Oct 4, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
The Odds of This Lottery Outcome Are Just Insane
433 to share jackpot in Philippines after Saturday's unusual draw
- Individuals who purchased winning tickets for a $4 million lottery jackpot in the Philippines will have to settle for less than $10,000 each following Saturday's controversial draw. A total of 433 people selected the winning combination in the Grand Lotto lottery, which was highly unusual. The six numbers—...
Winners of $1.34B
Mega Millions Jackpot
'Over the Moon'
Sep 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Winners of $1.34B Mega Millions Jackpot 'Over the Moon'
Illinois pair finally steps forward to claim prize, is choosing to stay anonymous
Mystery solved—kind of. Until this week, it wasn't clear if the person(s) who'd won the second-biggest Mega Millions lottery ever, a staggering $1.34 billion jackpot, knew they'd purchased the winning ticket in Illinois, let alone who that was. Now, at least the first half...
Guy's Joke About Lottery
Win Proves a Prescient One
Sep 3, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Guy's Joke About Lottery Win Proves a Prescient One
Charles Smith of Newport News, Va., joked with wife he'd hit it big, then won nearly $230K
- Charles Smith is probably joking about a lot more these days. That's because a wisecrack he made to his wife earlier this summer turned out to be prescient, and he's now nearly $230,000 richer, per WAVY . The man from Newport News, Va., was saying goodbye one day...
Delaware Man Has Unusual
Luck With Maryland Lottery
Aug 13, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Delaware Man Has Unusual Luck With Maryland Lottery
Duane Ketterman, who travels for work, has racked up $50K from 2 separate winnings in 5 weeks
- It was Duane Ketterman's lucky day—and then it was his lucky day again, just five weeks later. CNN reports that the man from Millsboro, Del., won the lottery in neighboring Maryland not once but twice in about a month's time, taking home nearly $50,000 in the...
Ride Is Over
Jul 30, 2022 8:24 AM CDT
Our Wild Mega Millions Ride Is Over
Winning ticket was sold in Illinois
- The next Mega Millions drawing is on Tuesday, and the jackpot will be a measly $20 million. That's because someone did indeed choose the six winning numbers for Friday night's drawing, and it's a singular someone, reports the AP . Only one ticket was sold with the numbers...
After 20 Years,
Lottery Club Wins
in case you missed it
Jul 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
After 20 Years, Lottery Club Wins 'Life-Changing' Jackpot
Michigan co-workers took weeks to realize they had winning ticket
- After 20 years of playing together, members of a Michigan lottery club are getting a massive payday—but it took them a while to find out about it. The Lunch Bunch Crew lottery club won the $1.85 million jackpot in the June 18 Lotto 47 draw and opted to...
Lottery Winner Credits
TV Show for His Luck
Jun 27, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Lottery Winner Credits TV Show for His Luck
South Carolina winner uses strategy from TLC program
- Odds are that most people who try this strategy are going to lose about $300. A South Carolina man, however, got lucky and won a $100,000 prize. And as CNN reports, the unidentified man credits the strategy he picked up while watching TLC's show
The Lottery Changed My
$10M Lottery Winner
Gets Life Without Parole
May 30, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
$10M Lottery Winner Gets Life Without Parole
Michael Todd Hill guilty of murdering Keonna Graham
: A North Carolina man who won a $10 million jackpot five years ago will never spend money as a free man again. Michael Todd Hill, 54, was convicted of first-degree murder Friday and sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole, the
News & Observer
Lottery Winner: Clerk's
'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Apr 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Lottery Winner: Clerk's 'Mistake' Paid Off for Me
Iowa's Josh Buster won $1M
- An Iowa man says a miscue made by a convenience store clerk led to his $1 million jackpot. Josh Buster asked for five "easy-pick" plays at a store in West Burlington, but the clerk mistakenly printed just one, reports CNN . The clerk asked the 40-year-old chef if he wanted...
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free,
Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
Apr 21, 2022 10:26 AM CDT
Guy Repairs Guitar for Free, Gets Half $1M Lottery Jackpot
After he wouldn't take payment, his friend spent the money on scratch cards
- "A good deed is its own reward," the saying goes—but for a northern Massachusetts man, a massive financial reward for helping a friend arrived within an hour. State lottery officials say Methuen guitar store owner John Galvin refused to accept payment when his friend Eric Cochrane brought...
'Some Rude Person'
She Won $10M
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
'Some Rude Person' Bumped Her—and She Won $10M
LaQuedra Edwards accidentally bought a winning ticket
- LaQuedra Edwards did not want to buy a $30 lottery scratch-off ticket. When she put her $40 into the California Lottery Scratchers vending machine at a Tarzana supermarket in November of last year, her plan was to buy her usual selection of lower-priced tickets. But then "some rude person"...
She Realized She Was a $110K
Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Apr 4, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
She Realized She Was a $110K Lottery Winner. Then, 'Panic'
Va.'s Mary Elliott had already thrown her ticket in the trash; luckily, she found it
- It's not clear why Mary Elliott threw away a lottery ticket before finding out whether she'd won, but what is clear is that she'll probably never prematurely toss such a ticket again. The woman from Buckingham County, Va., won $110,000 in her state's Cash 5...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
Incurable Disease Plaguing Young Stone Cutters
Congressman Pulled Fire Alarm Amid Capitol Hill Scramble
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
A New Look at the Killing of the 'Face of Red Power'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.