Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Las Vegas shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
$800M Settlement Reached
for Vegas Shooting Victims
Oct 1, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
$800M Settlement Reached for Vegas Shooting Victims
Court OKs deal on eve of 3rd anniversary
- A court on Wednesday approved a settlement totaling $800 million from casino company MGM Resorts International and its insurers to more than 4,400 relatives and victims of the Las Vegas Strip shooting that was the deadliest in modern US history. The action makes final a deal settling dozens of...
Man Who Sold Ammo to
Vegas Shooter Sentenced
Jun 30, 2020 5:36 PM CDT
Man Who Sold Ammo to Vegas Shooter Sentenced
Douglas Haig gets 13 months
- An Arizona man was sentenced Tuesday to 13 months in federal prison for selling home-loaded bullets to the gunman who unleashed the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history, killing 58 people in the Las Vegas Strip in Oct. 2017. Douglas Haig, 57, also was sentenced to three years of...
59th Victim of Las Vegas
Mass Shooting Dies
Nov 19, 2019 6:47 AM CST
59th Victim of Las Vegas Mass Shooting Dies
Kim Gervais died a little more than 2 years after the nation's worst mass shooting
- The nation's worst mass shooting has claimed another victim. The
reports that Kimberly Gervais, 57—who was shot and suffered spinal injuries after the 2017 shooting in Las Vegas, losing all feeling in her legs and most of the use of her arms—died Friday in California, per...
This Is the 3rd-Largest
Fund in US History
Oct 3, 2019 1:41 PM CDT
This Is the 3rd-Largest Victims Compensation Fund in US History
MGM Resorts settles with victims of Las Vegas massacre
- Almost exactly two years after the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history, MGM Resorts announced a settlement with the victims of the Las Vegas massacre. MGM owns the Mandalay Bay, where the gunman was staying when he shot people attending the Route 91 country music festival on the street...
He Froze While
Now, His Fate
Jul 4, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
He Froze While Vegas Shooter Wreaked Havoc. Now, His Fate
Police officer Cordell Hendrex was fired in March, per Vegas police
- A veteran Las Vegas cop who froze in the hallway of a casino-hotel as a gunman carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history has been fired from the force, police say. Officer Cordell Hendrex was fired from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department on March 20, a...
the Vegas Shooter
Jan 29, 2019 12:13 PM CST
FBI Shares What Inspired the Vegas Shooter
Stephen Paddock wanted infamy and mass destruction
- A high-stakes gambler who rained down a hail of gunfire, killing 58 people from his high-rise casino suite in Las Vegas, wanted infamy and mass destruction, the FBI told the AP Tuesday, but took whatever motive might stretch beyond that to his grave. "It wasn't about MGM, Mandalay...
Jan 28, 2019 8:31 AM CST
Unnamed Donor: Here's $62K, Destroy Vegas Shooter's Guns
Anonymous businessman wants money to be split among deceased victims' families
- Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock left behind 50 or so firearms in the wake of the mass shooting that killed nearly five dozen people in October 2017, but what happened to those guns? If an anonymous donor—identified as a "San Francisco software executive" by the
To Get Rid of Bump Stocks,
DOJ Redefines Them
Dec 18, 2018 2:18 PM CST
To Get Rid of Bump Stocks, DOJ Redefines Them
They'll be reclassified as 'machine guns'
- Bump stocks can turn a semiautomatic weapon into a firearm that shoots at nearly the speed of a machine gun, and a "machine gun" is what the devices will be considered going forward. NPR reports the Trump administration on Tuesday announced a ban on the attachments, a move facilitated...
'Deliberate Act of Compassion'
a Year After Vegas Shooting
Oct 2, 2018 12:27 AM CDT
'Deliberate Act of Compassion' a Year After Vegas Shooting
Casinos dimmed their lights amid somber tributes
- The marquees on the glimmering Las Vegas Strip dimmed their lights for three minutes Monday night as officials slowly read the 58 names of the people killed one year earlier in the country's deadliest mass shooting in modern history . The names of the slain were recited before a silent...
Comfort Dog Helped
Family Heal After Vegas.
Then, a Shooting
Sep 7, 2018 12:34 AM CDT
Comfort Dog Helped Family Heal After Vegas. Then, a Shooting
'He was such a blessing'
- A Washington state family that survived the mass shooting last year at a Las Vegas concert says a neighbor shot and killed the dog they got to deal with stress and anxiety from the attack. The neighbor was cited by police for recklessly firing a gun. Lona and Joseph Johnson...
at Vegas Show
Jul 27, 2018 1:33 PM CDT
Country Singer at Vegas Show Faults NRA
Eric Church: Nevada massacre 'wrecked' him, NRA lobbying ensures continued gun violence
- For Eric Church, the year he left his 30s was rough. "Forty sucked," he said of his birthday last spring, which was followed by a life-threatening blood clot in his chest, emergency surgery to get rid of it, and then, a few months later, the massacre in Las...
'No Liability': MGM Sues
Las Vegas Shooting Victims
Jul 17, 2018 10:04 AM CDT
'No Liability': MGM Sues Las Vegas Shooting Victims
Company says it can't legally be held responsible for the massacre
- MGM Resorts is suing more than 1,000 victims of the Oct. 1 shooting in Las Vegas, claiming it has "no liability of any kind." The company—which owns the Mandalay Bay hotel from which Stephen Paddock opened fire, as well as the targeted venue of the Route...
Vegas Hairdresser Recalls
Disturbing Talk of Paddock
May 23, 2018 7:15 PM CDT
Vegas Hairdresser Recalls Disturbing Talk of Paddock
Client with that name spoke of how easy it would be to shoot at a concert on Vegas Strip
- A hairstylist said in documents released by police Wednesday that a client named Paddock spoke in the months before the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history that a Las Vegas Strip concert venue was susceptible to attack, reports the AP . The Police Department released about 2,100 pages of...
Housekeeper: Paddock Acted
Strangely Days Before Shooting
May 17, 2018 1:39 AM CDT
Housekeeper: Paddock Acted Strangely Days Before Shooting
She says he wouldn't stop staring at her
- Days before he carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, Stephen Paddock's odd behavior disturbed a housekeeper at the Mandalay Bay hotel. The housekeeper, whose account was among 1,200 pages of witness statements released by Las Vegas police Wednesday, says that when she cleaned his...
Footage From Vegas Massacre
Out: 'Breach, Breach, Breach'
May 3, 2018 7:28 AM CDT
Footage From Vegas Massacre Out: 'Breach, Breach, Breach'
About 160 minutes of video released
- Las Vegas police have released body cam footage from officers who stormed gunman Stephen Paddock's Mandalay Bay hotel suite on Oct. 1. The videos are graphic, a word used by Sheriff Joe Lombardo Tuesday in describing the release of what the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
reports is a total of...
New Video of Vegas Shooter
Shows 'True Mark of Sociopath'
Mar 23, 2018 4:50 PM CDT
New Video of Vegas Shooter Shows 'True Mark of Sociopath'
Surveillance video shows Stephen Paddock eating sushi, tipping hotel staff
- New surveillance video of Stephen Paddock in the days before he killed 58 people from his hotel room window in Las Vegas shows nothing out of the ordinary, and that's what troubles Randy Sutton. "A guy who can order lunch knowing that he's going to kill people...
Caesars Changes Policy
on 'Do Not Disturb' Rooms
Feb 16, 2018 9:58 AM CST
Caesars Changes Policy on 'Do Not Disturb' Rooms
All will be checked daily
- One of the world's largest casino companies will check its guests' hotel rooms every 24 hours, even if they have a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the doorknob. Caesars Entertainment told the AP Friday it also is considering giving panic buttons to its employees to enable them...
Vegas Gunman Autopsy: Bad
Teeth, Overweight, No Drugs
Feb 10, 2018 7:00 AM CST
Vegas Gunman Autopsy: Bad Teeth, Overweight, No Drugs
No substances in Stephen Paddock's system that would have caused aggressiveness
- The much anticipated autopsy report on Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock did nothing to help explain why he carried out the deadliest shooting in modern US history—his body didn't hold diseases or drugs or other substances that could have caused aggressive behavior. In fact, it showed he was...
Man Who Sold Ammo to
Las Vegas Shooter Charged
Feb 2, 2018 7:08 PM CST
Man Who Sold Ammo to Las Vegas Shooter Charged
Douglas Haig charged with manufacturing armor-piercing bullets
- An Arizona man who sold ammunition to the gunman who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history was charged Friday with manufacturing armor-piercing bullets, the AP reports. Unfired armor-piercing bullets found inside the Las Vegas hotel room where Stephen Paddock launched the attack on Oct. 1 contained...
2nd 'Person of Interest' Named
in Vegas Shooting Investigation
Jan 31, 2018 5:42 AM CST
2nd 'Person of Interest' Named in Vegas Shooting Investigation
'I'm the guy that sold ammunition to Stephen Paddock'
- Another "person of interest" authorities wanted to talk to after the Las Vegas mass shooting was identified Tuesday when his name was accidentally left unredacted in case records released to the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
. The October document named Douglas Haig as somebody "who may have conspired with Stephen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.