Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ahead of Release
of Tyre Nichols Video
Jan 27, 2023 7:31 AM CST
Biden Speaks Ahead of Release of Tyre Nichols Video
Biden urges calm ahead of footage being made public that shows cops beating man during traffic stop
- Friday evening is likely to be a tense one in Memphis, Tennessee, as authorities are set to release video that shows the violent arrest of Tyre Nichols , a 29-year-old Black man who died three days after the Jan. 7 confrontation during a traffic stop. Police have said Nichols experienced shortness...
Lawyers: Cops Beat Black
Man Like a 'Human Piñata'
Jan 24, 2023 9:01 AM CST
Lawyers: Cops Beat Black Man Like a 'Human Piñata'
Attorneys for family of late Tyre Nichols, 29, are comparing his beating to Rodney King incident
- Memphis police officers beat motorist Tyre Nichols for three minutes, treating him like "a human piñata" in a "savage" encounter reminiscent of the infamous 1991 police beating of Los Angeles motorist Rodney King, attorneys for the family said Monday. Attorney Ben Crump said police video viewed by...
City Will Pay $12M
in 'Spit Hood' Death
Oct 6, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
City Will Pay $12M in 'Spit Hood' Death
Rochester settles with family of Daniel Prude
- The city of Rochester, NY, has reached a settlement with the family of a Black man who died after police put a "spit hood" over his head and pressed his face into the pavement until he stopped breathing. Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said the city will pay $12 million...
4 Cops Charged After Video
of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
4 Cops Charged After Video of Man Beaten in Traffic Stop
Michigan trooper Bram Schroeder accused of punching Vance Martin, while 3 others stood by
- Four police officers in Michigan have been charged after prosecutors say a man pulled over for suspected drunk driving was handcuffed, then assaulted by one of the officers, while the others did nothing to stop him. Per a release from Michigan's Department of Attorney General, Bram Schroeder and Zachary...
Aug 22, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
An Arrest Got Brutal. One Witness Started Recording
Justice Department launches civil rights investigation
This file has been updated with the announcement of a federal investigation.
Three law enforcement officers in Arkansas have been suspended and are at the center of federal and state investigations following accusations they severely beat a suspect outside a Crawford County eatery, an incident recorded by a witness...
Martin Gugino Did
Apr 11, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Arbitrator: Cops Who Shoved Martin Gugino Did Nothing Wrong
Buffalo BLM protester suffered head injury after being pushed to ground by police in June 2020
- Two police officers in Buffalo, NY, have been cleared by an arbitrator of wrongdoing after they shoved an elderly BLM protester to the ground in June 2020. Martin Gugino, then 75, suffered a fractured skull and brain injury after hitting his head when he fell. In a Friday decision, Jeffrey...
Gig Driver Who Missed Car
Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Jan 6, 2022 10:54 AM CST
Gig Driver Who Missed Car Rental Payments Mauled by K9
Ali Badr is suing city of San Ramon, Calif., for excessive force after being pulled over by cops
- A gig driver badly mauled by a police dog is suing a San Francisco area suburb, alleging use of excessive force and violation of civil rights when police stopped him in December 2020 after he'd missed car rental payments, reports the AP . Dashboard and body-camera videos obtained by the...
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent
Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Oct 28, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
Suit: Cops Fired on 'Innocent Bystanders,' Killing 8-Year-Old
Family of Fanta Bility files federal lawsuit against Philadelphia police
The family of an 8-year-old girl fatally shot by police outside a high school football game in Philadelphia allege unreasonable and excessive force in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday. Gunfire erupted during an altercation between young men after the Aug. 27 game in Sharon Hill, CNN reports. Three police...
Girl, 10, Drew a
Picture at School.
Then Cops Arrested Her
Oct 21, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Girl, 10, Drew a Picture at School. Then Cops Arrested Her
ACLU of Hawaii demands $500K in damages, plus reforms
- The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii is demanding $500,000 in damages after a 10-year-old Black girl was arrested at school over a drawing. A parent of a student at Honowai Elementary School outside Honolulu demanded staff call police in response to the girl's drawing, which allegedly depicted...
Cops Saw 'Weapons
All Over the Wall.'
Brothers: Not Exactly
Apr 8, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Cops Saw 'Weapons All Over the Wall.' Brothers: Not Exactly
Fort Lauderdale police accused of excessive force felt threatened after seeing 'Star Trek' props: suit
- Two police officers in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who've been previously accused of what the
dubs "overzealous policing" have now been hit with a lawsuit by two brothers who are claiming the same. Per the complaint filed Monday against officers Alexander Paul and Steven Pohorence, as well...
Testimony at Chauvin Trial:
'At That Point, It's Just Pain'
Apr 7, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Testimony at Chauvin Trial: 'At That Point, It's Just Pain'
LAPD use-of-force expert Sgt. Jody Stiger testified for the prosecution
- The prosecution in the case of Derek Chauvin brought in an LAPD use-of-force expert to review documents and videos from the scene, and Sgt. Jody Stiger on Wednesday told jurors Chauvin appeared to be inflicting pain on George Floyd's cuffed hand during his arrest. Citing body-camera video, Stiger said...
Martin Gugino, Shoved to
Ground by Cops, Files Suit
Feb 23, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Martin Gugino, Shoved to Ground by Cops, Files Suit
75-year-old protester who fractured his skull during confrontation is suing Buffalo, 3 officers
- Last week, criminal charges were dropped against two police officers who were caught on video pushing 75-year-old protester Martin Gugino to the ground during a June 4 protest in Buffalo, NY, against police brutality and racism. Gugino, who fractured his skull and suffered a concussion as a result of the...
Feb 1, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Rochester Cops Shown Cuffing, Pepper-Spraying 9-Year-Old Girl
Bodycam footage out of upstate NY has department vowing to make a 'culture change'
- "This video, as a mother, is not anything you want to see." That was Lovely Warren, mayor of Rochester, NY, on Sunday morning, reacting just before the city released body camera footage of an incident Friday afternoon involving the city's police and a local child. Per the...
Whistleblower: DC Protesters
Faced 'Unprovoked Escalation'
Sep 17, 2020 6:40 AM CDT
Whistleblower: DC Protesters Faced 'Unprovoked Escalation'
National Guard major says protesters were peaceful, did not receive ample warnings
- The senior-most DC National Guard officer at Lafayette Square on June 1, the day protesters were forcibly removed before President Trump did a photo-op at a nearby church, has claimed federal officials sought crowd control devices too unpredictable to be used in war zones and moved in without clear, repeated...
Video Shows K9 Repeatedly
Bite Compliant Black Man
Aug 13, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Video Shows K9 Repeatedly Bite Compliant Black Man
Months later, Salt Lake City officer is placed on leave
- K9s are off the job for now in Salt Lake City after police footage showed a dog repeatedly biting a Black man kneeling on the ground with his hands up. Lawyers for Jeffrey Ryans, 36, say the April 24 attack left him with leg gashes that looked like they were...
Mom to File $10M Suit Against
NYPD After Mask Fracas
Jun 18, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
Mom to File $10M Suit Against NYPD After Mask Fracas
Kaleemah Rozier's claim says cops put knee on her neck while 5-year-old son watched
- A mother arrested for not properly wearing a mask plans to file a $10 million notice of claim against New York City for excessive force, arguing police officers put a knee on her neck in front of her 5-year-old son. Kaleemah Rozier, 22, and her son were inside a Brooklyn...
Police Chief Decries
'Horrible' Use of
Force on Black Man
Jun 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Police Chief Decries 'Horrible' Use of Force on Black Man
Police officer Tyler Timberlake charged with assault after using stun gun on 'man in crisis'
- A Virginia police officer was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery Saturday after being accused of using excessive force on a black man. The
Fort Hunt Herald
reports the incident took place Friday around 1:30pm in Mount Vernon, where an apparently disoriented victim—described by the Fairfax County Police...
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies,
TV Shows Have to Go
Jun 5, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
'Whitewashed' Cop Movies, TV Shows Have to Go
In 'WaPo,' Alyssa Rosenberg calls for more realistic storytelling about police
- In the wake of the death of George Floyd , the subject of racism and police brutality is now top of mind for most Americans. Alyssa Rosenberg has one idea on how Hollywood can help move things forward on these pervasive, intertwined issues: "Halt production on cop shows and movies...
Protesters for George Floyd
Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
May 30, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Protesters for George Floyd Attack CNN HQ: 'Say His Name'
Protests for black man killed in police custody in Minneapolis erupt into violence in cities across US
- Demonstrators marched, stopped traffic, and in some cases lashed out violently at police as protests erupted Friday in dozens of US cities following the killing of George Floyd after a white officer pressed a knee into his neck while taking him into custody in Minnesota. In Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas,...
Black Man Dies After Cop
Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
May 26, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Black Man Dies After Cop Encounter: 'I Can't Breathe'
Video circulates showing police officer with his knee on neck of black man who later died
- A black man in Minneapolis is dead after an encounter with police over the holiday weekend, and a viral video showing that incident has "traumatized" the community and spurred demands for answers. The details:
, the video was shot around 8pm Monday, which is
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
As They Boated on Sept. 11, This Happened
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.