Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
What the Ohio Vote
on Abortion Means
Aug 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
What the Ohio Vote on Abortion Means
It appears to be trouble for the GOP strategy of leaving the issue up to the states, for now
- Ohio voters delivered a victory for abortion access on Tuesday, even if they didn't explicitly vote on abortion. Instead, they rejected a GOP-backed proposal (called Issue 1) that would have made it harder to amend the state's constitution. However, the vote was widely understood to be an attempt...
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward'
for Abortion Access
Jul 6, 2023 12:32 PM CDT
In Ohio, a 'Huge Step Forward' for Abortion Access
Abortion rights advocates submit nearly double the number of signatures needed to get on ballot
- Groups hoping to enshrine abortion rights in Ohio's Constitution delivered nearly double the number of signatures needed to place an amendment on the statewide ballot this fall, aiming to signal sweeping widespread support for an issue that still faces the threat of needing a significantly increased victory margin. Ohioans...
SCOTUS Delivers Big
Voting Setback to GOP
Jun 27, 2023 10:06 AM CDT
SCOTUS Delivers Big Voting Setback to GOP
6-3 ruling says states don't have absolute power to set federal election rules
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday put a major check on state powers when it comes to setting federal election rules. In its 6-3 ruling, one of the most closely watched of this term, the justices rejected the controversial "independent state legislature" doctrine , reports Politico . The doctrine, advanced by conservatives,...
With Clock Running Out, a Slew
of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Jun 26, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
With Clock Running Out, a Slew of Big SCOTUS Cases Loom
Affirmative action and religious and gay rights are also on the agenda before this term closes
- The Supreme Court is getting ready to decide some of its biggest cases of the term. The high court has 10 opinions left to release over the next week before the justices begin their summer break. As is typical, the last opinions to be released cover some of the most...
Apr 26, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Pope Approves 'Significant Crack in Stained-Glass Ceiling'
Women will have the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops
- Pope Francis has decided to give women the right to vote at an upcoming meeting of bishops, and the AP reports that's a historic reform that reflects his hopes to give women greater decision-making responsibilities and laypeople more say in the life of the Catholic Church. Francis approved changes...
Poll Workers Heard Noises in
a Voting Booth. Now, an Arrest
Nov 5, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Poll Workers Heard Noises in a Voting Booth. Now, an Arrest
Colorado man registered as a Dem is accused of trying to tamper with voting machine in June
- A Colorado man who's a registered Democratic voter has been arrested on suspicion of tampering with voting equipment by allegedly inserting a USB thumb drive into a voting machine at a polling station during the primary election in June, authorities said. No elections data were accessed, and the June...
Judge Rules on
Oct 29, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Judge Rules on Monitoring Ariz. Drop Boxes
Group can keep tabs on boxes in Maricopa County, over complaints of intimidation
- A federal judge Friday refused to bar a group from monitoring outdoor ballot boxes in Arizona's largest county, where watchers have shown up armed and in ballistic vests, saying to do so could violate the monitors' constitutional rights. US District Court Judge Michael Liburdi said the case remained open,...
NBA Makes Unusual
Move for Election Day
Aug 16, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
NBA Makes Unusual Move for Election Day
No games will be played on November 8, to encourage voting
- The NBA will release its 2022-23 schedule on Wednesday, but one day is already known to be a blank slate—November 8. As in, Election Day. The league announced Tuesday that no teams will play that day in order to encourage people to vote, reports Politico . Instead, all 30 teams...
Wisconsin Court Angers
Democrats on Voting Decision
Jul 8, 2022 1:54 PM CDT
Wisconsin Court Angers Democrats on Voting Decision
In 4-3 vote, state's top court bans drop boxes for absentee ballots
- Wisconsin's conservative-controlled Supreme Court ruled Friday that absentee ballot drop boxes may be placed only in election offices and that no one other than the voter can return a ballot in person, dealing a defeat to Democrats who said the decision would make it harder to vote in the...
for Illegal Vote
May 11, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Texas Court Kicks Back 5-Year Sentence for Illegal Vote
Crystal Mason says she'll fight 'these cruel charges' again
: A court made a mistake in upholding the conviction of a Texas woman who was given a five-year prison sentence for casting a ballot when she wasn't eligible to vote, and it needs to take another look at the case, a higher court ruled Wednesday. The court should...
Black Woman Who Tried to
Register to Vote Handed 6 Years
Feb 9, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Black Woman Who Tried to Register to Vote Handed 6 Years
Prosecutors alleged Pamela Moses knew she wasn't eligible to vote, submitted forms anyway
- A Black woman in Tennessee was handed a sentence of six years and one day after being found guilty of illegally registering to vote. Pamela Moses' cases is attracting national attention due to its particulars: The 44-year-old says she went through the system and just followed the process that "...
Will Soon Be
Able to Vote
Dec 10, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Noncitizens Will Soon Be Able to Vote in NYC
Bill that would let legal residents vote in local elections passes city council
The New York City Council on Thursday night approved a measure that would give noncitizens the right to vote in local elections, assuming Mayor Bill de Blasio does not try to veto it—which he has pledged not to do, though he says he has concerns about the legislation....
Bucks Party on Voting Bill
Jun 6, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Democratic Senator Bucks Party on Voting Bill
Without Joe Manchin's vote, the measure has no path forward
- A key Democratic senator says he will not vote for the largest overhaul of US election law in a generation, leaving no path forward for legislation that his party and the White House have portrayed as crucial for protecting access to the ballot. "Voting and election reform that...
Caitlyn Jenner Caught in
Fib About Voting Record
May 12, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
Caitlyn Jenner Caught in Fib About Voting Record
She said she didn't vote in 2020, but records show otherwise
- Caitlyn Jenner told CNN on Tuesday that she "didn't even vote" in November's presidential election. "Out here in California, it's like, why vote for a Republican president?" she said from her home in Malibu, Calif., adding she didn't have a position on 12 measures...
Florida Passes New
Apr 30, 2021 4:28 AM CDT
Florida Passes New Voting Restrictions
Bill slammed as 'revival of Jim Crow'
- Republican lawmakers in Florida have passed a controversial election overhaul bill despite the lack of problems in the state's 2020 election, which they say was the "gold standard" for the country. The state is the first swing state won by Donald Trump to introduce new voting restrictions following...
Georgia Faces Growing
Backlash Over Voter Law
Apr 1, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Georgia Faces Growing Backlash Over Voter Law
Coke, Delta, Microsoft all speak out against it
- The leaders of Coca Cola and Delta Air Lines, two of Georgia's largest corporations, are speaking out about the state's new voting law , along with the president of Microsoft, which has plans to create a hub in Atlanta. In a Wednesday memo to employees, Delta CEO Ed Bastian...
As Kemp Signed Bill She
Knocked on His Door,
Mar 26, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
As Kemp Signed Bill She Knocked on His Door, Got Arrested
Rep. Park Cannon was protesting election legislation
- A Black Democratic state lawmaker was arrested in Atlanta as she tried to witness Georgia's governor sign into law new voting restrictions in the state. Per the
, Rep. Park Cannon was at the state Capitol on Thursday, right outside the office where Gov. Brian Kemp was putting...
Congresswoman Takes Heat
After Gesture During Vote
Mar 6, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Congresswoman Takes Heat After Gesture During Vote
Dem. Kyrsten Sinema voted no to minimum wage provision with an enthusiastic thumbs-down
- Bernie Sanders' attempt to attach a minimum wage provision to President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill failed on Friday , and a handful of Democrats helped secure its demise. Among them: Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, who's now facing criticism from Democrats not just for her vote against...
Lawmaker Votes for Police
Reform, Immediately Regrets It
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Votes for Police Reform, Immediately Regrets It
GOP's Lance Gooden says he pressed the wrong button
- Rep. Lance Gooden voted for a police reform bill Wednesday night that bans chokeholds and certain no-knock warrants, among other measures—and he wants his constituents in Texas to know that he sincerely regrets the error. Gooden, the only Republican who voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing...
House Passes Biggest
Voting Rights Bill in Decades
Mar 4, 2021 5:42 AM CST
House Passes Biggest Voting Rights Bill in Decades
But HR1 may have little hope of passing the Senate
- A sweeping voting rights reform bill passed the House in a 220-210 vote Wednesday night, with every Republican and one Democrat voting against. The HR1 "For the People Act," which would bring in new national standards, will be the biggest expansion of federal voting rights since the 1960s...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.