Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Had Headaches for Months.
Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dec 4, 2023 8:20 AM CST
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Vietnamese man hadn't realized someone had shoved chopsticks up his nose in drunken brawl
- When a man presented himself last month at Vietnam's Cuba Friendship Hospital in Dong Hoi with complaints of bad headaches, vision loss, and fluid coming out of his nose that he'd been suffering for months, doctors arranged for a CT scan, as the 35-year-old couldn't think of...
Vietnam Allegedly Tried to Hack
US Lawmakers With a Tweet
Oct 9, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Vietnam Allegedly Tried to Hack US Lawmakers With a Tweet
Government allegedly tweeted bogus link that would have installed spy software
- In terms of international hacking attempts, it was relatively simple. The government of Vietnam tweeted a plausible-looking but bogus news link to particular American lawmakers and journalists hoping they would click, reports the
. It appears that none of them took the bait. But had they done so, the...
In Vietnam, Biden Says
He Means No Harm to China
Sep 10, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
In Vietnam, Biden Says He Means No Harm to China
President takes steps to grow closer to another potential counter to Chinese aggression
- President Biden arrived Sunday in Vietnam to seal a "comprehensive strategic partnership," while insisting his attempts to strengthen US relations with China's neighbors are not coming at the expense of Beijing's Communist government. "I don't want to contain China," Biden said during a...
Symbol of Vietnam
Tourism at Risk of Collapse
Aug 24, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Symbol of Vietnam Tourism at Risk of Collapse
'Kissing rocks' of Ha Long Bay are eroding, due in part to nearby boats
- A key feature of Vietnam's famed Ha Long Bay could collapse if officials don't act to keep boats away. A recent report warns two favorite islets among the thousands of rainforest-topped limestone formations that dot the emerald bay are eroding, with tourists partly to blame, per the BBC...
'Offending Image' Keeps
Out of Vietnam
Jul 3, 2023 11:39 AM CDT
'Offending Image' Keeps
Out of Vietnam
Nation takes issue with map seen in film that shows China's claims to South China Sea territory
- Greta Gerwig's
may be one of the most-anticipated movies of the summer, but some Southeast Asia residents awaiting its debut will now have to travel over the border to see it. Reuters reports that the film starring Margot Robbie in the title role and Ryan Gosling as sidekick...
S. Korea Must Pay Survivor
of Vietnam War Massacre
Feb 7, 2023 2:50 PM CST
S. Korea Must Pay Survivor of Vietnam War Massacre
It's the first time a court has made such a ruling about atrocities by the nation's troops in the war
- In a landmark ruling that could pave the way for similar ones in the future, a court in South Korea has ordered the government to pay a survivor of a massacre during the Vietnam War. The court awarded Nguyen Thi Thanh, 62, about $24,000, reports the
New York Times
Boy Stuck in
10-Inch-Wide Shaft Dies
Jan 5, 2023 1:19 AM CST
Boy Stuck in 10-Inch-Wide Shaft Dies
A rescue effort tried to free him in Vietnam tragedy
- The 10-year-old boy who fell into a narrow open shaft at a Vietnam construction site on New Year's Eve has died. After nearly 100 hours of attempting to save Ly Hao Nam, rescuers are now trying to recover his body, the
reports. He had earlier been heard crying...
32 Dead in
Sep 8, 2022 1:09 AM CDT
32 Dead in Karaoke Parlor Blaze
Fire in south Vietnam started Tuesday night
- The death toll from a fire at a karaoke parlor in southern Vietnam has risen to 32 and some parts of the building remain inaccessible more than a day later, state media reported. The fire that began late Tuesday trapped workers and customers inside the multi-story venue in Thuan An...
50 Years Later, New
'Hope' for 'Napalm Girl'
Jun 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
50 Years Later, New 'Hope' for 'Napalm Girl'
Laser treatments have lessened Kim Phuc's pain, restored sensation
- "I heard the noise,
, and then suddenly there was fire everywhere around me and I saw the fire all over my arm," Kim Phuc said Tuesday, recalling a moment 50 years earlier when a napalm bomb struck her Vietnamese village. The subject of a Pulitzer Prize-winning...
COVID to 8
for 5 Years
Sep 7, 2021 3:27 AM CDT
He Gave COVID to 8 People, Will Be Jailed for 5 Years
Vietnam has strict quarantine laws
- A 28-year-old Vietnamese man infected eight people with COVID-19, and has now been put behind bars as a result. Authorities say Le Van Tri returned to the city of Ca Mau after having traveled to Ho Chi Minh City, and did not quarantine for the three weeks required by law,...
A Terrible Year for
Coffee Just Got Worse
Aug 30, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
A Terrible Year for Coffee Just Got Worse
COVID-related restrictions in 2nd-biggest grower, Vietnam, add to supply problems
- This has been a worrisome year for those in the coffee business because of a double whammy—first drought, then frost—in Brazil, the world's biggest grower. That has put more pressure on the world's second-biggest grower, Vietnam, to pick up the slack, but now Bloomberg reports on...
'Anomalous Health Incidents'
Reported Last Week in Vietnam
Aug 25, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
'Anomalous Health Incidents' Reported Last Week in Vietnam
A few additional details emerge behind situation that delayed Kamala Harris' flight
- US officials are continuing to investigate possible cases of so-called Havana Syndrome that delayed Vice President Kamala Harris' trip from Singapore to Vietnam. There have been two separate cases of unexplained health incidents reported by US personnel in Vietnam within the past week, US officials said. It was not immediately...
'Anomalous Health Incident'
Delays Kamala Harris' Flight
Aug 24, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
'Anomalous Health Incident' Delays Kamala Harris' Flight
Outlets suggest it might be related to Havana syndrome, not COVID
- A vaguely worded statement from the State Department about a hiccup in Vice President Kamala Harris' travel plans seems to be raising more questions than it answers. Harris flew from Singapore to Vietnam on Thursday, but the flight took off only after a three-hour delay, reports the Hill . The official...
As Variant Spreads,
Vietnam Locks Down
May 31, 2021 10:11 AM CDT
As Variant Spreads, Vietnam Locks Down Largest City
All 9M Ho Chi Minh city residents will be tested
- Vietnam plans to test all 9 million people in its largest city for the coronavirus and imposed more restrictions Monday to deal with a growing COVID-19 outbreak. People in Ho Chi Minh city are only allowed to leave home for necessary activities and public gatherings of more than 10 people...
May 29, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
New Hybrid May Spread More Easily: Vietnam
Coronavirus strain is a hybrid of UK, India variants
- Vietnam has discovered a new coronavirus variant that's a hybrid of strains first found in India and the UK, the Vietnamese health minister said Saturday. Nguyen Thanh Long said scientists examined the genetic makeup of the virus that had infected some recent patients, and found the new version of...
Landmark Agent Orange
Case Is Dismissed
May 10, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Landmark Agent Orange Case Is Dismissed
Vietnamese woman sued chemical companies, but French court says it has no authority to rule
- She would have been the first Vietnamese civilian to win a judgment against the chemical companies that produced Agent Orange, notes the
. But a court in France on Monday dismissed the case brought by Tran To Nga against companies including Dow Chemical and Monsanto, now owned by Bayer....
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor
Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Feb 16, 2021 8:19 AM CST
Black Soldier's Medal of Honor Nominations Kept Getting Lost
Teammates of Vietnam War hero Paris Davis wonder if race has been a factor in 55-year delay
- In the Hall of Valor , Paris Davis, 81, is recognized with a Soldier's Medal for his actions during the Vietnam War on May 13, 1965. A group of veterans, however, including some of his former teammates, say what happened a month later should have earned Davis the Medal of...
It Killed Dozens in Philippines.
Now It's Headed to Vietnam
Nov 14, 2020 9:00 AM CST
It Killed Dozens in Philippines. Now It's Headed to Vietnam
Almost half a million people are preparing to evacuate as Typhoon Vamco barrels their way
- Vietnamese authorities on Saturday ordered some 460,000 people in the country's central region to be ready for evacuation ahead of Typhoon Vamco, after the storm killed at least 42 people and left 20 others missing in the Philippines, state television reported. The typhoon, which is forecast to hit...
Sep 25, 2020 3:15 AM CDT
Condom Recycling Factory Busted
They were washed, reshaped, and resold
- Police in Vietnam have busted a factory that took recycling one step too far. Some 345,000 used condoms were seized from the factory near Ho Chi Minh city, where they had been boiled, reshaped with a wooden phallus, and packaged for resale, Reuters reports. According to state media, the...
Things Are Getting
Worse for Mexico
Aug 1, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Things Are Getting Worse for Mexico
The nation edges into third place with coronavirus deaths
- Mexico now has the third most COVID-19 deaths in the world, behind Brazil and the US, the AP reports. Mexican health officials on Friday reported 688 new deaths, pushing the country's confirmed total to over 46,600. That put Mexico just ahead of the UK, which has more than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.