Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coast Guard Calls Off Search
for Man Lost in 'Sneaker' Wave
Nov 28, 2023 7:47 AM CST
Coast Guard Calls Off Search for Man Lost in 'Sneaker' Wave
54-year-old was swept out to sea off California coast, along with granddaughter, 5, who died
- A little girl is dead and her grandfather remains missing after a wave swept them both out to sea near California's Half Moon Bay. The search for the two began Saturday afternoon at Martins Beach, which
notes is about 30 miles south of San Francisco. The 5-year-old...
Skimmers Work to Collect
1M Gallons of Oil in Gulf
Nov 20, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Skimmers Work to Collect 1M Gallons of Oil in Gulf
Crews try to find source of pipeline leak off Louisiana
- A leak from an underwater pipeline released more than 1 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico before the flow was shut off, the Coast Guard estimated. The leak was spotted Thursday, about 19 miles offshore of the Mississippi River Delta southeast of New Orleans, Reuters reports. Main...
Cruise Line Says Video Shows
Passenger Jumping From Ship
Nov 15, 2023 1:32 PM CST
Cruise Line Says Video Shows Passenger Jumping From Ship
Tyler Barnett was reported missing from Carnival ship on Monday morning
- The Coast Guard says it is searching the Gulf of Mexico for a 28-year-old Louisiana man missing from a Carnival cruise ship. Tyler Barnett was reported missing on Monday, the day after the Carnival Glory departed from New Orleans. The Coast Guard narrowed the search area after the cruise line...
Man Who Keeps Trying to 'Run'
Across the Ocean Is Arrested
Sep 6, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Man Who Keeps Trying to 'Run' Across the Ocean Is Arrested
Is there nothing a Florida man won't do?
- The US Coast Guard has arrested a Florida man who was attempting to "run" across the Atlantic Ocean in a large hamster wheel. Marathon runner Reza Baluchi was found about 70 nautical miles east of Georgia's Tybee Island on Aug. 26 in what officials described as a "...
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
Coast Guard Lays Out
Next Phase at Titanic Site
Jun 25, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
Coast Guard Lays Out Next Phase at Titanic Site
Navy calls off planned use of salvage system
- The Coast Guard said Sunday it is leading an investigation into the loss of the Titan submersible that was carrying five people to the Titanic, to determine what caused it to implode. Capt. Jason Neubauer, chief investigator, said that the salvage operations are ongoing and that the accident site has...
Coast Guard 'Optimistic'
in Hunt for Missing Sub
Jun 21, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Coast Guard 'Optimistic' in Hunt for Missing Sub
Search is focusing on area where Canadian aircraft detected sounds
- The Coast Guard says a unified command team is working "tirelessly" to find the missing submersible Titan in a search of a vast area of the North Atlantic. At a briefing Wednesday afternoon, Coast Guard Capt. Jamie Frederick said Canadian planes detected underwater noises on Tuesday and again on...
Suspected Russian Spy Ship
Hanging Out by Hawaii
Jan 19, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Suspected Russian Spy Ship Hanging Out by Hawaii
Coast Guard has been monitoring the vessel, also spotted in the area in April, for weeks
- The US Coast Guard has for weeks been monitoring what is believed to be a Russian spy ship off the coast of Hawaii. The USCG described what is "believed to be an intelligence gathering ship" in a Wednesday news release, which was accompanied by video footage of the vessel....
A Woman Is
for First Time
Jun 2, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
A Woman Is Leading US Military Service for First Time
Admiral Linda Fagan takes over at the Coast Guard
- For the first time, one of the US military services is being led by a woman. Admiral Linda Fagan took control of the Coast Guard on Wednesday, reports ABC News . Fagan, who became the service's first female admiral last year, previously served as second in command, per Military.com...
Cruise Ship Passenger Goes
Overboard Near Florida
Apr 17, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Goes Overboard Near Florida
43-year-old man still missing, and Carnival says he jumped
- A passenger on a Carnival Cruise Lines ship is feared dead after going overboard near Florida. The Coast Guard has been searching for the 43-year-old man, who the cruise line says jumped from the ship, since about 12:30am Saturday, reports
. The passenger on Carnival's Mardi Gras...
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship
Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Apr 6, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
3 Weeks Later, Container Ship Still Stuck in the Chesapeake
Officials now say they'll start taking hundreds of containers off the Ever Forward to break it loose
The Ever Given was stuck in the Suez Canal for a week. A similar ordeal for the Ever Forward, also owned by Evergreen Marine Corp., in the Chesapeake Bay has lasted a lot longer than that, and officials are now shifting strategy to get that vessel unstuck. The
Dozens Missing After
Boat Capsizes Off
Jan 25, 2022 6:04 PM CST
Dozens Missing After Boat Capsizes Off Florida Coast
Survivor said group left Bahamas Saturday night
- The US Coast Guard searched on Tuesday for 39 people missing for several days after a boat believed to be used for human smuggling capsized off Florida’s coast en route from the Bahamas. A good Samaritan called the Coast Guard early Tuesday after rescuing a man clinging to the...
Woman Falls From Carnival
Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Dec 12, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Woman Falls From Carnival Cruise Ship Into Pacific
Officials say the woman in her 20s fell from her balcony
- The U.S. Coast Guard has stopped looking for a woman who reportedly fell from a cruise ship into the Pacific Ocean near Ensenada, Mexico. Authorities searched for 31 hours, but decided Sunday morning to pause the operation until they have additional information, Petty Officer First Class Adam Stanton told...
It Appears Woman Knowingly
Drove Into Niagara River
Dec 10, 2021 9:20 AM CST
It Appears Woman Knowingly Drove Into Niagara River
Police say tire tracks in snow reportedly show entry through gap in barrier
- The woman found dead in a car near the brink of Niagara Falls on Wednesday may have ended up there deliberately. "Entry into the water appears to be an intentional act," New York State Park Police said Thursday, per the AP . The car driven by the woman in...
Man Rescued After 22 Hours
on Capsized Boat
Nov 30, 2021 8:59 AM CST
Man Rescued After 22 Hours on Capsized Boat
Unnamed 69-year-old man rescued off Japan on Sunday
- Over and over, the ocean waves battered him. And the 69-year-old man endured for 22 hours, sitting on the engine of his capsized boat in rough seas off Japan, gripping the propeller to help stabilize him. His only protection from the elements was a grey plastic sheet, which he wrapped...
Wreck of One of America's
Most Storied Ships Found
Oct 25, 2021 7:50 PM CDT
Wreck of One of America's Most Storied Ships Found
US Revenue Cutter Bear served in Alaskan waters for decades
- The wreckage of one of the most storied vessels in American history has been found in Canadian waters northeast of Boston, almost 60 years after it sank while being towed to Philadelphia. The US Revenue Cutter
, built as a sealing ship in Scotland in 1874, was bought by the...
They Fired Flares at
a $104K Search
Oct 6, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
They Fired Flares at Wedding, Triggered a $104K Search
Rhode Island men have been fined $5K each
- Two Rhode Island men have been fined $5,000 each for setting off flares near a friend's wedding reception last year—which isn't enough to cover the cost of the Coast Guard search operation that ensued. A Department of Justice release states that a search carried out after...
Coast Guard's Latest Rescue:
3 People, 2 Dogs,
Jun 8, 2021 7:37 AM CDT
Coast Guard's Latest Rescue: 3 People, 2 Dogs, Flamingo Floaty
Hollie Spence won't soon forget her 30th birthday
- Alaska's Kodiak Island may be best known for bears, but it was a huge inflatable pink flamingo that drew eyes Saturday. Hollie Spence was celebrating her 30th birthday with Nation Sega, 29, his sister Lepa Sega, 23, and Lepa's chihuahua and pug at Monashka Bay near Kodiak when...
2 Dead, 10 Missing After
Boat Overturns Near Key West
May 28, 2021 3:06 AM CDT
2 Dead, 10 Missing After Boat Overturns Near Key West
Survivors say they left Cuba Sunday
- The Coast Guard says multiple units are searching for 10 people believed to be missing in waters near Key West, Florida. Another eight people were rescued Thursday afternoon and two bodies were recovered around 16 miles south of the island, CNN reports. The Coast Guard says the cutter Resolute saw...
Lawmakers Want to Stop
Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Apr 29, 2021 3:35 AM CDT
Lawmakers Want to Stop Sale of Historic 9/11 Ship
Coast Guard cutter helped coordinate rescues
- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is pushing to stop the sale of a ship that played a key role in what is believed to be history's largest maritime rescue—the evacuation of an estimated 500,000 stranded civilians from lower Manhattan in the hours after the 9/11 attacks. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.