Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
$13B Aid to
Is for Votes
Sep 19, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Dems: Trump's $13B Aid to Puerto Rico Is for Votes
3 years after hurricanes, some say surprise relief package is 'too little and too late'
- In 2017, Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria ravaged Puerto Rico. It took nearly a year to restore power to the entire island, with a final death toll said to be around 3,000, though Trump has pushed back on that number. Now, three years after the storms, the president is...
Plug In Your Address
to See Odds of Flooding
Jun 29, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Plug In Your Address to See Odds of Flooding
New database shows federal estimates are way too low
- The official stats we use to determine whether our homes are at risk of flooding are woefully out of date and understate the actual danger in a big way, according to a new initiative to set the record straight. Across the US, millions more homes are at risk than government...
GM CEO: 20-Hour Days
Sped Up Ventilator Process
Apr 15, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
GM CEO: 20-Hour Days Sped Up Ventilator Process
First batch will be delivered by end of April
- Late last month, President Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to mandate that General Motors start cranking out ventilators in bulk to help in the fight against the coronavirus. Now GM and Ventec Life Systems, the medical tech firm it's working with, say they'll deliver their first batch...
Report: Pentagon Asked
to Provide 100K Body Bags
Apr 2, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
Report: Pentagon Asked to Provide 100K Body Bags
FEMA request was sent to Defense Department
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency has reportedly asked for 100,000 body bags—enough to deal with fatalities at the lower end of the estimate under the White House's most optimistic coronavirus scenario . Sources tell Bloomberg that FEMA requested the "Human Remains Pouches" as civilian COVID-19 deaths continue...
As Puerto Rico Braces for
Dorian, 2 Jabs From Trump
Aug 28, 2019 12:08 PM CDT
As Puerto Rico Braces for Dorian, 2 Jabs From Trump
Tropical storm expected to pass over or near the island
- Tropical Storm Dorian is threatening Puerto Rico with a direct hit at near-hurricane force on Wednesday and forecasters say it could strengthen further as it approaches the US mainland. The storm is expected to pass over or near Puerto Rico, with landslides, widespread flooding, and power outages possible in what...
Trump Officials Divert
FEMA Funds to Border
Aug 28, 2019 6:39 AM CDT
Trump Officials Divert FEMA Funds to Border
Disaster relief cash pulled to pay for courtrooms
- The Trump administration is shifting money from disaster relief to immigration enforcement—even with Tropical Storm Dorian threatening a direct hit on Puerto Rico. Officials confirmed Tuesday that $271 million in Homeland Security funding is being diverted to Immigration and Customs Enforcement to pay for detention beds and temporary courtrooms,...
FEMA Struck by
a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Mar 23, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
FEMA Struck by a 'Major Privacy Incident'
Agency disclosed sensitive data of more than 2M disaster survivors, per DHS IG report
- Survivors may still be picking up the pieces after the natural disasters that have swept across the country over the past couple of years, and now they have a new issue to contend with: the possibility of identity theft thanks to what the Federal Emergency Management Agency is calling a...
She Insulted Michelle Obama.
Now, a Guilty Plea
Feb 18, 2019 12:07 PM CST
She Insulted Michelle Obama. Now, a Guilty Plea
Pamela Taylor, who called ex-first lady 'ape in heels,' admits taking money from FEMA
- "The flood was a natural disaster. Stealing from FEMA is a manmade disaster." Per a DOJ release , that's US Attorney Mike Stuart speaking on the case of Pamela Taylor, a 57-year-old from West Virginia who made headlines in 2016 for calling then-first lady Michelle Obama an "...
FEMA Chief Steps Down
Feb 13, 2019 3:08 PM CST
FEMA Chief Steps Down
Brock Long resigning
- The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency is resigning, months after an investigation found he misused government vehicles to travel to his home in North Carolina. Brock Long said in a letter Wednesday to agency employees that he was resigning to spend more time with his family, the AP...
Trump Had Warned California.
Today, Another Shot Fired
Jan 9, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Trump Had Warned California. Today, Another Shot Fired
President says he's cutting off FEMA money unless state gets 'act together, which is unlikely'
- When President Trump demanded California get its wildfires in check , he apparently meant business. "Billions of dollars are sent to the State of California for Forrest fires that, with proper Forrest Management, would never happen," Trump said in a Wednesday tweet, ultimately replaced with one in which "...
Americans Can't Opt Out
of Today's 'Presidential Alert'
Oct 3, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Americans Can't Opt Out of Today's 'Presidential Alert'
Message from Trump will be sent to all cellphones
- A text message from President Trump will be sent to more than 200 million US cellphones in a test starting at 2:18pm Eastern on Wednesday—but officials stress that the president won't be texting Americans on a regular basis. The Federal Emergency Management Agency says the "Presidential...
FEMA Chief Brock Long
Could Face Federal Charges
Sep 17, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
FEMA Chief Brock Long Could Face Federal Charges
Investigators want to know if he misused taxpayer money
- A probe into President Trump's FEMA chief has been referred to prosecutors. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that it's now up to them to decide whether federal criminal charges will be brought against Brock Long, who potentially broke "multiple laws" when he and two officials took...
Americans Are About to
Get a Text From Trump
Sep 16, 2018 8:18 AM CDT
Americans Are About to Get a Text From Trump
It's part of a FEMA test of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System
- On Thursday at 2:18pm Eastern, chances are that you'll get a text from President Trump. But rather than urging you to make America great again, his missive will read: "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed." Its the...
FEMA Chief Nearly Got
Fired as Hurricane Brewed
Sep 15, 2018 2:37 PM CDT
FEMA Chief Nearly Got Fired as Hurricane Brewed
Probe into Brock Long looks at travel expenses and other issues
- With Hurricane Florence rolling in, FEMA Administrator Brock Long was close to getting fired—and still could be, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Investigators working for the Department of Homeland Security inspector general have already warned the White House about Long taking a caravan of federal workers on his trips...
Back Down From
Denial of Hurricane
Sep 15, 2018 8:40 AM CDT
Trump Won't Back Down From Denial of Hurricane Death Toll
President's Friday tweetstorm praised FEMA, railed against Puerto Rico death toll from Hurricane Maria
- President Trump spent much of Friday evening digging into a claim he'd made the previous day that spurred instant backlash. On Thursday, Trump accused Democrats of inflating the death toll in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, which a recent George Washington University report updated from 64 to 2,975....
Most Americans Will Get
the Same Text Next Thursday
Sep 13, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Most Americans Will Get the Same Text Next Thursday
You can't opt out out of this 'Presidential Alert'
- You may hear a bit of noise next Thursday afternoon after lunch, and you can thank FEMA and the FCC. The
reports the two agencies are pushing out a "Presidential Alert" test to nearly every cellphone in the nation Sept. 20 to "assess the operational readiness...
Former FEMA Official
Accused of Disturbing Behavior
Jul 31, 2018 4:01 AM CDT
Former FEMA Official Accused of Disturbing Behavior
Corey Coleman allegedly harassed subordinates, hired frat brothers
- The conduct of FEMA's former personnel chief was definitely sleazy and possibly criminal, according to a damning internal investigation seen by the
and the AP . Corey Coleman—who resigned weeks ago, before the investigation concluded—allegedly sexually harassed subordinates, hired unqualified fraternity brothers and women he met...
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers,
Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Feb 19, 2018 9:40 AM CST
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers, Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Bureaucracy, too much gear, and other inefficiencies are marring response efforts
- They're called the "national Swiss Army knife of emergency response," teams of highly trained first responders sent by FEMA across the US when disaster strikes. But when hurricanes pummeled Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico last summer, many of the thousands deployed via the agency's National Urban...
One-Person Firm Got $156M
FEMA Deal. It Didn't End Well
Feb 6, 2018 4:38 PM CST
One-Person Firm Got $156M FEMA Deal. It Didn't End Well
Contractor was supposed to provide 30M meals to Puerto Rico, managed just 50K
- Another government contract to provide relief to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria is coming under scrutiny. The reasons, as spelled out in the
New York Times
, are pretty clear: FEMA awarded a one-woman company out of Atlanta—a firm that had zero experience in large-scale disasters—a $156 million contract...
San Juan Mayor on FEMA
Cutoff: 'There Is Need Still'
Jan 31, 2018 9:45 AM CST
San Juan Mayor on FEMA Cutoff: 'There Is Need Still'
Members of Congress implore agency not to halt aid to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico
- FEMA's plans to halt hurricane relief supplies to Puerto Rico effective Jan. 31 drew criticism Tuesday from members of Congress and the mayor of the island's largest city. San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz said many people in the US territory need the water and food they've...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.