Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 29, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Judah Samet Survived Bergen-Belsen, Mass Shooting
After 'Schindler's List,' he decided to tell his story
- Judah Samet, a Holocaust survivor who narrowly escaped a shooting rampage at a Pittsburgh synagogue in 2018, died Tuesday. He was 84. Samet, who survived the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in World War II, was running a few minutes late for services at the Tree of Life of Life synagogue and...
They Survived the Holocaust
Together, Died Together, Too
Sep 8, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
They Survived the Holocaust Together, Died Together, Too
Sisters Ilse Scheuer Nathan and Ruth Scheuer Siegler die 11 days apart in Alabama
- Two sisters who together survived the Holocaust then settled within walking distance of each other in Alabama have died 11 days apart. Ilse Scheuer Nathan, 98, died Aug. 23, followed by sister Ruth Scheuer Siegler, 95, on Saturday, per
. Their closeness in Birmingham must've been some comfort....
Dies in Russian Attack
Mar 21, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
Buchenwald Survivor Dies in Russian Attack
Boris Romantschenko, 96, was killed by Russian shelling of Ukrainian city
- A 96-year-old Ukrainian who survived imprisonment in four concentration camps during the Nazi Holocaust has been killed by a Russian attack on his home in the eastern city of Kharkiv. Boris Romantschenko died Friday during a Russian shelling of the neighborhood where he lived in an apartment building, his family...
Warned of Far Right
as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
Jan 1, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Holocaust Survivor Warned of Far Right as 'Mrs. Gertrude'
In a viral video, Gertrude Pressburger urged young people to vote in Austria's presidential election
- Holocaust survivor Gertrude Pressburger, who became famous during Austria's 2016 presidential campaign with a video message in which "Mrs. Gertrude" warned of hatred and exclusion triggered by the far right, has died at 94. Pressburger died Friday after a long illness, her family said Saturday. The AP reports...
Paris Man Gets Life for
Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Nov 11, 2021 4:57 AM CST
Paris Man Gets Life for Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Mireille Knoll was stabbed 11 times
: A 32-year-old Paris man has been sentenced to life for the horrific murder of a Holocaust survivor in 2018. Yacine Mihoub was convicted of stabbing 85-year-old Jewish woman Mireille Knoll 11 times during what prosecutors said was a botched robbery fueled by anti-Semitism and the belief that she had...
Germany to Compensate
Jewish Survivors of
Siege of Leningrad
Oct 6, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Germany to Compensate Jewish Survivors of Siege of Leningrad
Agreement secures pensions for 6.5K Holocaust survivors
- A German program to compensate Holocaust survivors for their suffering in World War II has been expanded to cover around 6,500 more survivors, including thousands of Jews who survived the siege of Leningrad. They will receive the equivalent of $435 a month for the rest of their lives under...
Researchers Use Film
to ID Toddlers Taken
May 23, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
Researchers Use Film to ID Toddlers Taken to Bergen-Belsen
All 3 who were IDed survived WWII
- The footage has appeared in countless documentaries: scenes filmed in 1944 at the Nazi transit camp Westerbork, where Dutch Jews were transported to death camps in Germany and occupied Poland. Now, two children who appear through the window of a train bound for Bergen-Belsen for less than three seconds have...
A Life Bookended By
the Holocaust and a Pandemic
Jan 4, 2021 4:26 PM CST
A Life Bookended By the Holocaust and a Pandemic
A survivor says she is losing time to tell her story
- Toby Levy lost her teenage years to the Holocaust, hiding in a barn in what was then Chodorow, Poland. Nine people lived in a 4-by-5 space, not knowing if each day was their last, unable to make any noise, often unable to even look outside. Now, at 87, Levy is...
Estate Sues Over
Oct 15, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Holocaust Survivor's Estate Sues Over
Judith Dim Evans was 'horrified' by her inclusion in mockumentary, says her estate
- Borat is back—and here come the lawsuits. The estate of a recently deceased Holocaust survivor is suing the creators of the
sequel to have her interview pulled from the flick before its release on Amazon Prime next Friday. Judith Dim Evans spoke with actor-comedian Sasha Baron Cohen about...
Jan 27, 2020 1:07 PM CST
Kate Middleton Unveils Holocaust Portraits
Duchess of Cambridge releases photos she took of Holocaust survivors
- The Duchess of Cambridge is participating in Holocaust Memorial Day observances with photographs she took of survivors for an exhibition marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the AP reports. The former Kate Middleton, a photo buff, described the survivors in her portraits as “two of the...
Krispy Kreme Owners
Do Something About
Dec 12, 2019 6:55 AM CST
Krispy Kreme Owners Do Something About 'Disgusting' Past
Reimann family to donate $5.5M to Holocaust survivors after discovery of past Nazi ties
- In March, it was reported that ancestors of the Reimann family—whose JAB Holding Co. owns a controlling stake in Krispy Kreme, Panera Bread, Pret a Manger, and other well-known brands—had used French POWs and Russian civilians as forced laborers under the Nazi regime. Now the family, one of...
Jul 4, 2019 4:55 PM CDT
Auschwitz Survivor Called for Forgiveness
Eva Kor endured medical experiments at Auschwitz
- Holocaust survivor Eva Kor, who championed forgiveness even for those who carried out the Holocaust atrocities, died Thursday, the AP reports. Kor was in Krakow, Poland, for an annual educational trip, according to the CANDLES Holocaust Museum and Education Center, which she founded in Indiana. She was 85. Kor was...
Death Camp's Last Survivor
Won't See It Transformed
Jun 5, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Death Camp's Last Survivor Won't See It Transformed
Former Sobibor prisoner Semion Rosenfeld dead at 96
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has paid tribute to the last known survivor of the uprising at the Sobibor extermination camp following his death at a Tel Aviv retirement home at age 96. "May his memory be a blessing," Netanyahu writes of Semion Rosenfeld, one of only 47...
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to
Pass a Holocaust Bill
May 29, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to Pass a Holocaust Bill
Along with her dear friend, a 92-year-old Holocaust survivor
- When Claire Sarnowski, as a fourth grader, met Holocaust survivor Alter Wiener at one of his talks, no one could have predicted that their friendship would end up changing the law in Oregon. But it looks like that's exactly what's about to happen: Thanks to work done by...
Famed Nazi Fighter Dead at 94
Dec 23, 2018 7:37 AM CST
Famed Nazi Fighter Dead at 94
Simcha Rotem was among last survivors of the Warsaw ghetto uprising
- Simcha Rotem, a Holocaust survivor who was among the last Jewish fighters from the 1943 Warsaw ghetto uprising, has died. He was 94. Rotem, who went by "Kazik," took part in the single greatest act of Jewish resistance during the Holocaust, reports the AP . Though guaranteed to fail,...
Killed by Car in Oregon
Dec 13, 2018 8:10 PM CST
Holocaust Survivor Killed by Car in Oregon
Alter Wiener was 92
- A 92-year-old Holocaust survivor was struck and killed by a car while crossing a street in Oregon, the AP reports. The
says Alter Wiener, who survived three years in Nazi concentration camps, was struck Tuesday in Hillsboro and died at a hospital. Wiener wrote an autobiography called "From...
She Survived 97 Years. Then
Came the Pittsburgh Shooter
Oct 28, 2018 9:42 AM CDT
She Survived 97 Years. Then Came the Pittsburgh Shooter
Authorities release the names of all 11 victims, who ranged in age from 54 to 97
- Rose Mallinger had reached the age of 97 when her life was ended by a gunman's bullets in Saturday's mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh. Authorities have identified all 11 victims, reports the AP , and they include a married couple, Bernice and Sylvan Simon, 84 and 86...
Woman Who Comforted
Dying Anne Frank Dies at 95
Jun 10, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
Woman Who Comforted Dying Anne Frank Dies at 95
Gena Turgel survived multiple concentration camps, told her story for decades
- Gena Turgel, a Holocaust survivor who comforted Anne Frank at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp before the young diarist's death and the camp's liberation a month later, has died. She was 95. Turgel died Thursday, Britain's chief rabbi said. The Polish native touched many in the decades as...
I Asked the Nazis to Kill Me.
Then My Ordeal Began
Jan 29, 2018 11:06 AM CST
I Asked the Nazis to Kill Me. Then My Ordeal Began
Holocaust survivor Edith Fox finally tells her story
- Edith Fox says she's "afraid people are forgetting," which spurred the 90-year-old to do something she hasn't done in more than 70 years: recount her Holocaust story of survival. First appearing in the
Arizona Daily Star
in November, her account was on Saturday shared by the...
Minnesota Woman Helps Indict
Nazi Death Camp Guards
Nov 28, 2017 1:54 AM CST
Minnesota Woman Helps Indict Nazi Death Camp Guards
88-year-old helped identify former SS officer
- Judith Meisel says that when she was a teenager in the Stutthof concentration camp in western Poland, other prisoners told her: "Don't let us die without you mentioning what happened to us." The 88-year-old Minnesota resident has not forgotten: Her testimony helped German authorities indict two former...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Police Not Sure if Slain Daughter Was Abducted First
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.