Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Major League Baseball
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dodgers Pitcher Accused of
Sep 6, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Dodgers Pitcher Accused of Domestic Violence
MLB has opened an investigation into Julio Urías
- Major League Baseball has opened an investigation into Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías after he was arrested Sunday on a felony charge of corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, the AP reports. Deputy Maria Lucero, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman, confirmed the felony charge...
Baseball Star Knocked
to Ground by Fans
Aug 29, 2023 6:26 AM CDT
Baseball Star Knocked to Ground by Fans
Atlanta Braves' Ronald Acuña uninjured by men who rushed field for selfies
- Ronald Acuña is on the brink of achieving something no baseball player has ever done—and two fans got way too aggressive in showing their apparent appreciation Monday night in Denver. The Atlanta Braves star was knocked to the turf as security tried to wrestle down the men who...
as a Hitter
Aug 25, 2023 4:31 PM CDT
Injured as a Pitcher, Star Returns as a Hitter
Shohei Ohtani won't pitch again this year but is in the Angels lineup as a DH
- Shohei Ohtani's season as a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels ended on Wednesday, but he reappeared in the lineup as a designated hitter on Friday. The normally two-way star was scheduled to bat second against the New York Mets on Friday night, ESPN reports, in the first game...
MLB Star on Leave Amid
Allegation of Ties to Minor
Aug 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
MLB Star on Leave Amid Allegation of Ties to Minor
League and Dominican Republic investigating Wander Franco and allegations of improper relationship
- Tampa Bay Rays star Wander Franco won't be taking the field anytime soon amid an investigation that he had a relationship with at least one underaged girl. The team placed the 22-year-old on administrative leave Tuesday, reports the
. Major League Baseball is investigating the allegations with authorities in...
'J-Rod' Did Two
Has Ever Done
Aug 22, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
'J-Rod' Did Two Things Nobody in Baseball Has Ever Done
Mariners' Julio Rodriguez had 17 hits in 4 games, reached base 17 straight times he put ball in play
- Even the most casual of baseball fans might take a moment to wrap their heads around what Julio Rodriguez of the Seattle Mariners just accomplished. The 22-year-old center-fielder wrapped up a sizzling and historic five-game stretch at the plate. Highlights:
Within that span, "J-Rod" had 17 hits in four
You've Probably Never
Seen a Bat Like This
Aug 21, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
You've Probably Never Seen a Bat Like This
Bryson Stott of the Phillies uses one painted like a No. 2 pencil in Little League Classic
- The Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 on Sunday, but the game is more notable for the unusual gear used by players from both teams. Like the bat custom-painted to resemble a No. 2 pencil by the Phillies' Bryson Stott, per the AP . On the opposing side, Joey Meneses wielded one...
Report: Orioles Announcer
Suspended for Weird Reason
Aug 8, 2023 8:22 PM CDT
Report: Orioles Announcer Suspended for Weird Reason
Insiders say owner was annoyed when Kevin Brown mentioned statistic from bad seasons
- Popular Baltimore Orioles announcer Kevin Brown was taken off the air because of some major league pettiness from team management, insiders say. Sources tell Awful Announcing that Brown, who has been calling games for the Orioles on radio and TV since 2019, was suspended indefinitely after he remarked during the...
After Angels Say He Won't Be
Traded, Ohtani Throws a Beauty
Jul 27, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
After Angels Say He Won't Be Traded, Ohtani Throws a Beauty
Star pitches a one-hitter and slugs his 37th homer of the year
- Shohei Ohtani looked his manager in the eye and, in just a few words, left no doubt of his intentions. "I'll finish it," Los Angeles Angels manager Phil Nevin recalled Ohtani telling him after the eighth inning of his first complete game in his Major League Baseball...
Jul 15, 2023 8:25 AM CDT
Two Brothers Do Something Never Done in Baseball
Josh and Bo Naylor each hit multi-run homers in the same inning for the same team
- It's pretty rare, though not unprecedented, for two brothers to make the major leagues and wind up on the same team. It's rarer still for them to homer in the same game, let alone the same inning. Josh and Bo Naylor of the Cleveland Guardians managed the feat...
It May Be
in MLB History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 10, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
It May Be the Biggest Contract Bust in MLB History
Stephen Strasburg has pitched 31 innings since signing $245M deal, may never pitch again
- It was a bold move: After their 2019 championship season, the Washington Nationals signed reigning World Series MVP Stephen Strasburg to a monstrous $245 million contract over seven years. At the time, it was the biggest contract ever awarded to a pitcher. The problem is that the 34-year-old hasn't...
MLB Calls Off Games Due to
Wildfire Smoke From Canada
Jun 7, 2023 6:55 PM CDT
MLB Calls Off Games Due to Wildfire Smoke From Canada
Phillies, Yankees games postponed as air quality reaches 'hazardous' level
- Two Major League Baseball games have been called off as smoke from wildfires in Canada continues to cause terrible air quality for much of the eastern US, including New York City. The New York Yankees say Wednesday night's game against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium has been...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Bo Knows Hiccups,
a Little Too Well
May 11, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Bo Knows Hiccups, a Little Too Well
Elite retired NFL, MLB athlete, who's had the condition for nearly a year, is getting surgery
- We all know how annoying it is to be stricken with a bout of hiccups, but few of us can attest to what it's like when those spasms go on for almost a full year. Elite athlete Bo Jackson now falls in the latter group, and he's "...
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment
of the 2023 MLB Season'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment of the 2023 MLB Season'
Drew Maggi gets standing ovation in MLB debut after 13 seasons in minor league
- Drew Maggi has played 1,154 games of minor league baseball over a 13-year career, hoping for his big league debut. In 2019, he thought his dream had finally come true. But the Phoenix native, called up by the Minnesota Twins, never actually took to the field, per the
MLB Suspends Star
in 'Sticky' Debate
Apr 21, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Star in 'Sticky' Debate
Max Scherzer insists he used only resin before being kicked out of game
- Major League Baseball's crackdown against pitchers putting illegal substances on the ball has taken the highest-paid player in the game off the field—an enforcement that apparently rests on the subtle difference between "tacky" and "sticky." Max Scherzer, a three-time winner of the Cy Young Award,...
Oakland Is Losing Its Last
Major Pro Sports Team
Apr 20, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Oakland Is Losing Its Last Major Pro Sports Team
The A's are following the Raiders to Las Vegas
- Oakland, California, is going to lose its last major pro sports team. The team confirmed Wednesday night that it has signed an agreement to buy land for a new stadium site in Las Vegas and it hopes to complete the move by 2027, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. This will...
Umpire Hospitalized After
'Scary' Moment in Cleveland
Apr 13, 2023 8:59 AM CDT
Umpire Hospitalized After 'Scary' Moment in Cleveland
Larry Vanover was hit in the head by a relay throw
- Umpire Larry Vanover was hospitalized after being hit in the head with a relay throw on Wednesday in a "scary" moment during the New York Yankees game against the Cleveland Guardians. Vanover was evaluated for a concussion and other injuries at the Cleveland Clinic, where he was taken shortly...
'I've Never Experienced
Anything Like This' in MLB
Apr 11, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
'I've Never Experienced Anything Like This' in MLB
Batting averages rise, game time drops as pitch clock, infield limits debut, along with bigger bases
- Major League Baseball's new rules designed to speed pace of play and encourage more action seem to be working through the season's first week and a half. Batting average is up 16 points, stolen bases have spiked 30%, and the average game time is down 31 minutes, on...
Was Quite a Marriage
Proposal on the Baseball Field
Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Was Quite a Marriage Proposal on the Baseball Field
Ricardo Juarez gets tackled by security during romantic gesture at Dodger Stadium
- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan tried to propose to his girlfriend at a baseball game, but ended up getting tackled like he was at a football game. TMZ Sports reports that it all went down during Thursday night's matchup at Dodger Stadium against the Arizona Diamondbacks, when a man...
Pitch Clocks Made
a Big Difference
on Opening Day
Mar 31, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Pitch Clocks Made a Big Difference on Opening Day
Games were an average of 18 minutes shorter
- Thursday was Major League Baseball's opening day—and with the pitch clock in use for the first time, games were a lot shorter than what fans have gotten used to in recent years. The average game was 2 hours and 45 minutes, 18 minutes shorter than last year's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.