Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gay Couple Denied Marriage
License Awarded $100K
Sep 14, 2023 2:10 AM CDT
Gay Couple Denied Marriage License Awarded $100K
As county clerk, Kim Davis refused to issue gay couple a license in 2015
- A federal jury has awarded $100,000 to a Kentucky couple who sued former county clerk Kim Davis over her refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the AP reports. Davis, the former Rowan County clerk, drew international attention when she was briefly jailed in 2015 over her refusal,...
'This Law and the
Love It Defends
Strike a Blow
Dec 13, 2022 5:20 PM CST
'This Law and the Love It Defends Strike a Blow Against Hate'
Biden signs same-sex marriage bill into law
- President Biden signed gay marriage legislation into law Tuesday before a crowd of thousands, a ceremony that reflected growing acceptance of same-sex unions. "This law and the love it defends strike a blow against hate in all its forms," Biden said on the South Lawn of the White...
Tearful Plea Against
Dec 10, 2022 8:30 AM CST
Nephew Slams GOP Lawmaker's Tearful Plea Against Gay Marriage
Andrew Hartzler's video goes viral for calling out 'Aunt Vicky' over Respect for Marriage Act vote
- A GOP congresswoman made a tearful plea this week to fellow House members to vote against the Respect for Marriage Act , which offers federal protections for same-sex and interracial marriages, and a response from a member of her own family has now gone viral. On Thursday, Rep. Vicky Hartzler of...
House Clears Landmark Bill
Protecting Same-Sex Marriage
Dec 8, 2022 12:06 PM CST
House Clears Landmark Bill Protecting Same-Sex Marriage
Nancy Pelosi presides over 258-169 vote in one of her final acts as speaker
- The House gave final approval Thursday to legislation protecting same-sex marriages, a monumental step in a decades-long battle for nationwide recognition of such unions that reflects a stunning turnaround in societal attitudes, per the AP . President Biden is expected to promptly sign the measure, which requires all states to recognize...
Senate Passes Landmark
Same-Sex Marriage Act
Nov 29, 2022 8:12 PM CST
Senate Passes Landmark Same-Sex Marriage Act
12 Republicans voted with Democrats
- A bill that makes protection for same-sex and interracial marriages federal law passed the Senate in a 61-36 vote Tuesday and will now head to the House for a final vote. A dozen Republicans voted in favor, the same number that joined Democrats for a filibuster-proof majority in vote to...
GOP Votes Help Senate
Pass Marriage Protections
Nov 16, 2022 5:50 PM CST
GOP Votes Help Senate Pass Marriage Protections
Sponsor says some couples need protection from Supreme Court
- With support from a dozen Republicans, the Senate on Wednesday voted 62-37 to protect same-sex marriage, most particularly from the Supreme Court. The House would have to approve the bill for the second time, but the Senate vote puts the legislation on the path to President Biden's desk, Politico...
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected'
Move on Gay Marriage
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected' Move on Gay Marriage
Church will get behind legislation on same-sex marriage, as long as religious rights are protected
- Federal legislation designed to protect gay marriage rights has a somewhat surprising new supporter: the Mormon church. On Tuesday, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it will get behind the bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act , after senators worked out an amendment that would protect how religious groups...
Miss Argentina Marries
Miss Puerto Rico
Nov 3, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Miss Argentina Marries Miss Puerto Rico
Beauty queens Mariana Varela, Fabiola Valentin dated secretly before tying the knot Friday
- Mariana Varela and Fabiola Valentin were rivals at the 2020 Miss Grand International competition, as representatives of Argentina and Puerto Rico, respectively. But the beauty queens remained close after finishing in the top 10. Very, very close . As the pair revealed Thursday, they've not only been secretly dating but...
to Be Legal in Cuba
Sep 26, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage to Be Legal in Cuba
Voters approve sweeping changes to nation's family code
- Same-sex marriage, surrogate pregnancies, and adoption by gay couples will all be legal in Cuba for the first time, after voters overwhelmingly approved changes to the nation's family code. Officials said Monday the vote in favor of the new code was running at 66%, per the BBC ; approval required...
Church Bars Tutu's Daughter
From Leading Funeral
Sep 23, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Church Bars Tutu's Daughter From Leading Funeral
The Rev. Mpho Tutu van Furth is in a same-sex marriage, prohibited by Church of England
- The Rev. Mpho Tutu van Furth, daughter of the late Desmond Tutu, is an Anglican priest, which would seem to qualify her to officiate over a church funeral. But she's married to a woman, which the Church of England does not sanction. So Furth was told by her church...
Same-Sex Marriage Vote
to Wait Till After Midterms
Sep 15, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Vote to Wait Till After Midterms
Blunt suggests nervous Republicans will be more likely to vote yes later
- The Senate Democrat leading the effort to pass legislation protecting same-sex marriage plans to hold off until after the midterm elections, apparently heeding the advice of a retiring Republican. "If I wanted to pass that, and I was the majority leader and I wanted to get as many votes...
He Voted Against
Gay Son's Wedding
Jul 26, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
He Voted Against Gay Marriage, Then Attended Gay Son's Wedding
Rep. Glenn Thompson voted against the Respect for Marriage Act
- Rep. Glenn Thompson voted against the Respect for Marriage Act, the House bill that would codify gay marriage as a federally protected right, on Tuesday—just three days before attending the wedding of his gay son. Through his press secretary, Thompson, a Republican from Pennsylvania, had told the
Vote With Democrats to
Protect Same-Sex Marriage
Jul 19, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
47 Republicans Vote With Democrats to Protect Same-Sex Marriage
House bill, which also protects interracial marriage, expected to stall in Senate
- The House overwhelmingly approved legislation Tuesday to protect same-sex and interracial marriages amid concerns that the Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade abortion access could jeopardize other rights criticized by many conservative Americans. In a robust but lopsided debate, Democrats argued intensely and often personally in favor of enshrining...
Jul 18, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Ted Cruz: Supreme Court Wrong on Gay Marriage
Texas senator says justices should have left decision up to the states
- Sen. Ted Cruz has grabbed headlines and sparked a backlash over his opinion about the Supreme Court’s 2015 decision legalizing same-sex marriage . “I think that decision was clearly wrong when it was decided," Cruz said on his “Verdict with Ted Cruz” podcast Sunday, per
Should We Relax on
Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Jun 27, 2022 3:04 PM CDT
Should We Relax on Gay Rights? 'Yes—and No'
Ruth Marcus warns why we shouldn't dismiss Thomas' seemingly outlier push on nixing other precedents
- Attached to the Supreme Court's majority opinion in overturning Roe v. Wade on Friday was a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas that suggested he'd like to also reconsider cases involving contraception, same-sex marriage, and other private sexual conduct. The pundit consensus has since deemed the chances...
Jun 26, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
Justice appears to be inviting legal cases that could undermine gay marriage, contraception
- When the Roe v. Wade decision came down, Clarence Thomas made headlines with a controversial separate opinion . He suggested the court, as it did with abortion, should examine the legal underpinnings of issues including same-sex marriage and the use of contraception. Thomas, part of the powerful new conservative majority on...
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas
Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Jun 24, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Justice says Supreme Court should reconsider decisions on contraception, same-sex couplings
- Roe v. Wade has been officially overturned by the US Supreme Court, eliminating federal protections for abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years, but a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas is also getting attention. In his writing, Thomas notes that, based on the reversal...
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to
a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Jun 20, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Clela Rorex issued first same-sex marriage licenses in 1975
- Clela Rorex, a former Colorado county clerk considered a pioneer in the gay rights movement for being the first public official to issue a same-sex marriage license in 1975, has died. She was 78. Rorex died Sunday of complications from recent surgery at a hospice care facility in Longmont, the...
Japan Court Rules Against
Jun 20, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Japan Court Rules Against Same-Sex Marriage
Judge says ban is constitutional
- A Japanese court ruled Monday that the country’s ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and it rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their rights had been violated. The Osaka District Court ruling is the second decision on the issue, and it disagrees with...
Jun 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Outrage Follows Graduation Speaker's Marriage Remarks
He urged Ohio high school students to follow 'Biblical principles'
- A public school district in Ohio says it will be "reviewing its processes" after a graduation speaker urged students to avoid same-sex marriages. "Choose a spouse, I suggest. I also strongly suggest to make sure to choose Biblical principles, you know, a male with a female and female...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Body of Colorado Woman Missing Since 2020 Found
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.