Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
HGTV Star: Old Show
May Have Poisoned Me
Dec 24, 2022 1:35 PM CST
HGTV Star: Old Show May Have Poisoned Me
Former 'Flip or Flop' host Christina Hall says she has mercury and lead poisoning
- Christina Hall made her name on the HGTV home-renovation series
Flip or Flop
. But the 39-year-old now says all those renovations may have damaged her health. "My scan said I have mercury and lead poisoning," Hall wrote on her Instagram Story, per Yahoo Entertainment . "Most likely from...
That Cute Minnie Outfit
You Bought May Be
Chock-Full of Lead
Dec 3, 2022 9:30 AM CST
That Cute Minnie Outfit You Bought May Be Chock-Full of Lead
Bentex recalls 87K Disney-themed clothing sets sold on Amazon, in TJ Maxx
- A manufacturer of children's apparel has issued a recall of 87,000 Disney-themed outfits due to a risk of lead poisoning. The clothing sets made by Bentex—which feature characters such as Minnie Mouse, Baby Yoda, and Winnie the Pooh—were sold on Amazon and at TJ Maxx and...
Recall: 10K Sippy Cups
Apparently Contain Lead
Nov 29, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Recall: 10K Sippy Cups Apparently Contain Lead
Green Sprouts says in the future, lead will not be used as a soldering material
- About 10,500 toddler sippy cups have been recalled due to a risk of lead poisoning. Green Sprouts says its 6-ounce Stainless Steel Sippy Cup, Sip & Straw Cup, and 8-ounce Stainless Steel Straw Bottle are affected by the recall, NPR reports. The bottom of the base can break off...
Tried to Kill Me
Sep 6, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Divorce Filing: My Husband Tried to Kill Me
Brian Mann charged with attempted murder via lead poisoning in Alabama
- An Alabama woman who filed for divorce from her husband of five years allegedly had very good reason: She says he tried to kill her by giving her capsules that he claimed were vitamins but turned out to contain lead. The woman identified as Hannah spent more than six weeks...
If Landlords and Insurers Aren't
Liable for Lead Paint, Who Is?
Apr 16, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
If Landlords and Insurers Aren't Liable for Lead Paint, Who Is?
Victims are left with little recourse these days
- A Virginia real estate developer was on a Caribbean vacation when he learned a tenant had won a $2 million judgement against him over lead paint poisoning. “Bummer,” the man thought, recounts Ellen Gabler for the
New York Times ,
"How am I going to get out of...
'Sort of Stunning'
Stat Is Bad News
for Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2022 2:46 PM CST
'Sort of Stunning' Stat Is Bad News for Bald Eagles
About half suffer from lead poisoning, according to a new study
- A new study in
has a stat that doesn't bode well for bald eagles—and is even worse for golden eagles: "Almost half of all animals sampled had chronic, toxic levels of lead." Researchers tested more than 1,200 live and dead eagles from across the...
Response to Lead Crisis
Oct 14, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Michigan Governor Orders Sweeping Response to Lead Crisis
After criticism, Whitmer says Benton Harbor's pipes will be replaced in 18 months
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday ordered a "whole-of-government" response to elevated levels of lead in Benton Harbor's water and vowed to accelerate the replacement of the southwestern Michigan community's lead pipes. Her directive that state agencies ensure residents have safe tap water came about a week...
Deal to Replace
100% of Lead Pipes
Jun 28, 2021 7:06 PM CDT
White House: Deal to Replace 100% of Lead Pipes
Infrastructure agreement includes $55B for water projects
- The version of President Biden's infrastructure spending plan that Republicans and Democrats agreed to last week includes replacing every lead pipe in the nation. A White House memo said the legislation "will replace 100% of the nation's lead pipes and service lines," and White House press...
Killing Bald Eagles
Feb 17, 2020 9:06 AM CST
Hunters Are Unintentionally Killing Bald Eagles
It's because of the lead bullets they use
- America's bald eagles aren't being shot, but bullets are killing them. It's an unintentional side effect of hunters going after deer and other animals with lead bullets, striking the creature, but then losing sight of it as it runs away. Bald eagles who consume the carcass end...
He Survived a Mass Shooting.
Now He's Being Poisoned
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 9, 2019 7:31 AM CDT
He Survived a Mass Shooting. Now He's Being Poisoned
Bullet fragments can wreak havoc
- Colin Goddard was shot multiple times during the Virginia Tech massacre , but doctors assured him he would eventually be "fine." Twelve years later, the now-33-year-old has discovered that's far from the case, and the reason is an unexpected one: The dozens of bullet fragments left in his...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
Perished, but Not
Because of Lead
Aug 28, 2018 11:11 AM CDT
Entire Arctic Expedition Perished, but Not Because of Lead
Study looks at fate of crew aboard HMS Erebus and HMS Terror
- In 1845, Sir John Franklin set sail from England in the hopes of discovering and successfully navigating the Northwest Passage. Instead, all 128 crew members aboard the
ended up dead. Nearly all of them actually survived until April 1848, when they fled ships that had...
Sandwich Killer? Man May Have
Poisoned Up to 21 Co-Workers
Jun 28, 2018 6:05 PM CDT
Sandwich Killer? Man May Have Poisoned Up to 21 Co-Workers
German man allegedly caught sprinkling toxic substance onto a co-worker’s lunch
- Police have arrested a man suspected of killing as many as 21 engineering workers over two decades at a valve manufacturing company in western Germany, reports CNN . The 56-year-old metal-fittings worker, identified only as Klaus O, was caught on surveillance video sprinkling a powdery substance onto a co-worker’s sandwich...
US Deaths Tied
to 'Ubiquitous but
410K a Year
Mar 13, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
US Deaths Tied to 'Ubiquitous but Insidious' Lead: 410K a Year
About 10 times higher than what researchers previously thought
- A study on "ubiquitous but insidious" lead exposure is being deemed a "big deal" after researchers found a link between lead exposure and the deaths of around a quarter-million Americans annually from heart disease. In what
says is the first study using a nationally representative sample...
There's a Hidden Hazard
in the Air at Gun Ranges
May 13, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
There's a Hidden Hazard in the Air at Gun Ranges
After reports of poisonings, DoD tightens safety standard for lead in blood
- Visiting a shooting range is not without risk, and we aren't talking about deadly accidents . Lead dust discharged by firearms is the leading cause of lead poisoning outside the workplace, the
reported in a lengthy 2014 investigation. Each time a gun filled with lead-based ammunition is fired,...
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold
for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
Dec 30, 2016 1:29 PM CST
CDC Mulling Lower Threshold for Kid Lead Levels: Sources
But move is controversial, with critics saying money would be diverted from those who need it most
- For the past four years, kids under the age of 6 who had a 5-micrograms-per-deciliter blood lead level warranted a public health response. Now a handful of sources who've received word from the CDC say the agency may lower that level another 30%—down to 3.5 micrograms per...
Up in Flint
Feb 5, 2016 10:59 AM CST
Lead Toxicity Showing Up in Flint Area's Dogs
Animal experts warn that pets near Flint should be drinking filtered or bottled water
- First it was the kids of Flint found to have been tainted by lead, attributed by many to the area's toxic water. Now two dogs who live in the vicinity of the Michigan city have tested positive for lead toxicity—the first two pups to be confirmed with this...
Flint Lead Problem
Could Be Eased by
Recoating Old Pipes
Jan 23, 2016 1:36 PM CST
Flint Lead Problem Could Be Eased by Recoating Old Pipes
Flint's mayor says it would cost $1.5 billion to replace the pipes
- Flint's mayor has floated a shockingly high price tag to fix the Michigan city's lead-contamination problem: $1.5 billion to replace damaged pipes. Gov. Rick Snyder put the figure at $700 million. In the meantime, officials and water experts are hopeful that there is a less drastic and...
Flint Water Crisis
Jan 21, 2016 6:51 AM CST
Emails Reveal Buck-Passing in Flint Water Crisis
'This issue will fade in the rearview,' aide predicted
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has, as promised , released hundreds of pages of emails relating to Flint and its water crisis —and while there may not be anything in them that will cost him his job, members of his administration will have questions to answer about what appears to be...
Lead Levels in
State of Emergency
Dec 15, 2015 9:56 AM CST
Lead Levels in Michigan Kids' Blood Prompts State of Emergency
Flint mayor is worried about fallout from tainted water
- Flint, Mich., drew its water from the Flint River for about 18 months after ditching Detroit's water service—but that was enough time to cause lead levels in local kids to spike, which has now led the mayor to declare a state of emergency, Michigan Live reports. Mayor Karen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Romney Had It Out With George Santos at SOTU
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
As Quake Toll Surges, More Questions About 1999 Tax
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.