Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Best
Airport in America
Nov 25, 2023 1:25 PM CST
This Is the Best Airport in America
Phoenix ranks No. 1 in 'Wall Street Journal' rankings; Newark comes in last among large airports
- A good chunk of one's flying experience takes place not on the plane itself, but in the airport—and some of those venues are better than others when it comes to customer satisfaction. The
Wall Street Journal
took a look at the 50 largest airports in the nation, examining...
Newark Disowns Sister City
Invented by Alleged Rapist
Mar 16, 2023 11:23 AM CDT
Newark Disowns Sister City Invented by Alleged Rapist
Indian fugitive claims to have created nation of Kailasa, and New Jersey city fell for it
- Newark, New Jersey, agreed to a sister-city relationship with a nation it has now been forced to admit doesn't exist. The city held an official ceremony honoring the partnership with the Hindu nation of Kailasa earlier this year. "I pray that our relationship helps us to understand cultural,...
the Guy—the Bad Guy'
Nov 2, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
'They've Caught the Guy—the Bad Guy'
Kendall Howard of East Orange, NJ, allegedly shot 2 cops on Tuesday
"Within the past half-hour, they’ve caught the guy—the bad guy," New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy declared Wednesday in reference to the man suspected of shooting two police officers on Tuesday. Kendall Howard, 30, was taken into custody late morning, reports NJ.com . SWAT team members...
9 Hurt in Newark
Jul 1, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
9 Hurt in Newark Mass Shooting
All are expected to survive
- Nine people, including a teenager, were wounded Thursday evening in gunfire outside a neighborhood grocery shop in Newark, police said. All of the victims are in stable condition and expected to survive and police are searching for a vehicle believed to have been involved in the shooting, Acting Newark Public...
Want to Get (and Stay)
Married? Here's Where to Go
Jun 12, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Want to Get (and Stay) Married? Here's Where to Go
LawnStarter ranks the best US cities for wedded bliss
- Maybe there actually is something to getting married in front of Cinderella Castle. Orlando, Fla., where the "happiest place on Earth" (Disney World) is located, is just one of the entries making up the top 10 in LawnStarter's ranking of the best US cities to get (and stay)...
These US Cities Have the
Most, Least Holiday Spirit
Dec 15, 2021 9:30 AM CST
These US Cities Have the Most, Least Holiday Spirit
New York City is the most festive of all, while Enterprise, Nev., is a bit of a Grinch
- With 2022 almost upon us, it's the time of year when we wind down and kick back, which often includes a fair bit of festivities. LawnStarter wanted to know which places boast the most spirit of the season, so the site looked at the 200 largest cities in the...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Horniest US City Has
Appropriately Hedonistic Name
Jun 2, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Horniest US City Has Appropriately Hedonistic Name
While Texas cities suffer from a lethargic libido
- It looks like Nevada's Paradise is aptly named, at least for those who are yearning for physical human contact after a long year of lockdowns. The city sits at the top of LawnStarter's list of America's "horniest" cities, published in advance of National Sex Day on...
The US Cities That
May Soon Ditch
Mar 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
The US Cities That Remote Workers May Soon Ditch
There are also metro areas that could benefit from the telecommuting trend
- With much of America now intimately familiar with telecommuting, a necessity born of the pandemic,
sees a "titanic shift" in the direction of remote work, even once all of the virus-related lockdowns are over and we head back into the office. And as people realize they can...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
Thinking of Retiring? Keep
These Cities on Your Radar
Sep 4, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Thinking of Retiring? Keep These Cities on Your Radar
The Sunshine State looks especially tempting for your golden years
- Already thinking ahead on where you want to kick back once you stop punching a time clock for good? WalletHub scrutinized more than 180 US cities to suss out which ones seem most appealing for retirees, looking at nearly four dozen key metrics across four categories: affordability (including cost of...
Newark Borrows to
Hurry New Water Lines
Aug 26, 2019 6:25 PM CDT
Newark Borrows to Hurry New Water Lines
Officials decide not to wait for federal help with lead issue
- New Jersey's biggest city on Monday announced a plan to borrow $120 million to dramatically cut the time it will take to replace pipes causing elevated lead levels in drinking water. City, state, and county officials said the plan is expected to cut the time from 10 years to...
EPA Mandate to City: Hand
Out Bottled Water ASAP
Aug 12, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
EPA Mandate to City: Hand Out Bottled Water ASAP
In Newark, NJ, filters to keep lead out didn't work, leading to recommendation for bottled water
- In what the
New York Times
calls "an echo of Flint," a New Jersey city that's handed out nearly 40,000 filters to help protect residents whose water flows through old lead pipes now says those filters might not be working and is moving to Plan B....
Plane Blows Tires,
Skids Down Runway
Jun 15, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Plane Blows Tires, Skids Down Runway
But passengers in Newark only suffer light injuries
- Authorities say a plane blew tires while landing at Newark Liberty International Airport, sending it skidding on the runway before coming to a halt, the AP reports. United Airlines says Flight 627 from Denver was landing at 1pm Saturday with 166 passengers when the tires blew. United spokesman Robert Einhorn...
Bad Time to Overdose: While
Driving School Bus Full of Kids
Feb 21, 2019 7:11 AM CST
Bad Time to Overdose: While Driving School Bus Full of Kids
Lisa Byrd facing child endangerment charges after she's revived with Narcan: cops
- A school bus carrying a dozen special-needs children crashed into a tree in Newark on Wednesday, but police say that wasn't the worst part. Though no kids were injured, the driver of the bus, found slumped over the wheel, had overdosed on heroin and had to be revived with...
More Drone Problems,
This Time in Newark
Jan 22, 2019 6:42 PM CST
More Drone Problems, This Time in Newark
Flights suspended at Newark Liberty International Airport after drones spotted nearby
- Federal aviation authorities stopped flights from flying into and out of Newark Liberty International Airport due to reports of drones spotted above nearby Teterboro Airport, the AP reports. Multiple news reports cited the Federal Aviation Administration as saying drones were reported about 3,500 feet over Teterboro on Tuesday. Takeoffs...
5 Best, Worst US
Cities for Retirees
Aug 14, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
5 Best, Worst US Cities for Retirees
Florida is home to 3 of the top 5
- Florida really is the place to be for retirees. The Sunshine State is home to three of the top five retirement-friendly US cities, according to WalletHub , which ranked the most populated cities across the nation, based on affordability, recreational activities, quality of life, and health care. Living in top-ranked cities...
Woman on Oxygen Tank Dies
After Utility Cuts Electricity
Jul 9, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
Woman on Oxygen Tank Dies After Utility Cuts Electricity
Great-grandmother Linda Daniels was in hospice care in New Jersey for congestive heart failure
- At 10am on Thursday, Linda Daniels' oxygen tank stopped; by 4:30pm, she had drawn her last breath. The reason for the New Jersey great-grandmother's death, per her family: PSE&G turned off her electricity due to an unpaid bill. Per NJ.com , relatives of Daniels, who was in...
10 US Cities
Plagued by Murder
Feb 23, 2018 1:20 PM CST
10 US Cities Plagued by Murder
St. Louis' murder rate is highest, with 59.8 murders for every 100,000 residents
- It's not exactly an honor any US city wants to claim, but 10 of them have been dubbed the "murder capitals" of America, per 24/7 Wall St. The site, which notes a recent spike in murders (nearly 1,400 more across the nation in 2016 than in 2015),...
This Is the Best City
in America for
Jan 3, 2018 10:40 AM CST
This Is the Best City in America for Staying Active
So eat all the deep-dish pizza you want, Chicagoans
- If your New Year's resolution involves getting active, your location could play a role in your success. WalletHub reviewed sports facilities, outdoor activities, fitness club fees, and other metrics in the 100 most populated US cities and found getting active is a piece of cake in some areas, much...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.