Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 26, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Miss England Finalist Goes Makeup-Free
Melisa Raouf says she's accepted her 'imperfections'
- A finalist for the Miss England title has set herself apart by showing her true face in the competition. Melisa Raouf, 20, who has long worn makeup, made her decision after a bare-faced semifinal round Monday, CNN reports. She plans to compete the same way in the final in October....
Cash Used to
Pay for Exec's
Feb 23, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Scholarship Cash Used to Pay for Exec's Dating Sites: Prosecutors
Mary Wickersham is also accused of using pageant scholarship funds for maid services, meals out
- The Miss Florida Scholarship Program was designed to distribute funds to young women coming up through the beauty pageant world, but prosecutors say that for Mary Wickersham, an ex-executive director for the nonprofit, it was a personal piggy bank used to buy an array of goods and services for herself....
Steve Harvey Takes Heat
for Miss Universe Question
Dec 13, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Steve Harvey Takes Heat for Miss Universe Question
Host requested that Miss India Harnaaz Sandhu do her best animal impression
- If you're vying to become Miss Universe, it's expected you'll have to wear a swimsuit, brag about your accomplishments, and answer some questions. During Sunday's competition in Eilat, Israel, Miss India was instead thrown by a rather unusual request from host Steve Harvey. "I hear...
Nearly Half of Miss Mexico 2021
Contestants Got COVID
Jul 7, 2021 3:27 AM CDT
Nearly Half of Miss Mexico 2021 Contestants Got COVID
Beauty pageant was still held, though winner was crowned 2 days early
- Contestants from 14 of Mexico’s 32 states at a Miss Mexico contest tested positive for the coronavirus, a health official in the northern Mexico border state of Chihuahua said Tuesday. State Health Secretary Eduardo Fernández Herrera told local media that all the contestants had all submitted negative tests...
Meet the First
Jun 30, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Meet the First Transgender Miss USA Contestant
Kataluna Enriquez was just crowned Miss Nevada in another first
- For the first time in the history of the Miss Nevada pageant, an openly transgender woman has nabbed the crown. Kataluna Enriquez bested 21 other women to become the first openly transgender Miss Nevada at a ceremony at the South Point Hotel Casino in Las Vegas on Sunday, per
Mrs. World Gives Up Her
Crown After On-Stage Fracas
Apr 21, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
Mrs. World Gives Up Her Crown After On-Stage Fracas
After Caroline Jurie's exit, Kate Schneider from Ireland is the new Mrs. World
- Kate Schneider from Ireland has been named the new Mrs. World after the reigning titleholder resigned following an on-stage fracas in which she pulled the crown off the head of the winner of the Mrs. Sri Lanka beauty pageant. Mrs. World Inc. said it has received the resignation of Caroline...
Mrs. World 2020 Arrested in
Apr 9, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Mrs. World 2020 Arrested in Crown-Grabbing Incident
The current Mrs. Sri Lanka, who has been re-crowned, was injured
- Mrs. World 2020 now faces assault charges. Caroline Jurie, who won Mrs. Sri Lanka in 2019 before going on to win Mrs. World, was arrested after the bizarre Sunday night incident in which she yanked the crown off the head of the new Mrs. Sri Lanka moments after she'd...
She Was Miss
Papua New Guinea
—Until TikTok Video
Apr 7, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
She Was Miss Papua New Guinea —Until TikTok Video
Lucy Maino stripped of title after posting video of her twerking
- She posted a video of herself twerking on TikTok. That generally wouldn't have been a big deal, but for this 25-year-old, it meant the loss of a crown. Lucy Maino has been stripped of her Miss Papua New Guinea title after sharing the now-deleted video, reports the
After 'Mrs. Sri Lanka' Is
Named, a Weird Turn of Events
Apr 6, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
After 'Mrs. Sri Lanka' Is Named, a Weird Turn of Events
Mrs. World 2020 declared Pushpika De Silva ineligible and removed her crown
- It's an event that's high-profile enough that the prime minister's wife attended. The "Mrs Sri Lanka" pageant unexpectedly ended up being high-drama as well on Sunday night. The BBC calls it the country's "biggest beauty prize," and reports Pushpika De Silva was named...
'It's Us Who
Will Be Attacked':
Has Rare Agenda
Jul 4, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
'It's Us Who Will Be Attacked': Beauty Pageant Has Rare Agenda
Miss Muslimah USA is breaking boundaries in Michigan
- "I am a Muslim feminist. Many people think those two words are incompatible, but I am here to prove you wrong." So said 22-year-old Zeytuna Mohamed after taking the stage last July at the Miss Muslimah USA pageant in Dearborn, Michigan—a little-known event that casts a fresh...
Apr 7, 2020 3:48 AM CDT
Beauty Queen Trades Crown for Stethoscope
Bhasha Mukherjee cut her humanitarian work short to return to UK and her old job as a doctor
- Bhasha Mukherjee was crowned Miss England last year—but with the coronavirus pandemic ravaging the UK, she has now returned from the overseas charity work she was doing so that she can work as a doctor in her home country. Mukherjee was a junior doctor, but took a break from...
Clinches Win for Miss America
Dec 20, 2019 2:53 AM CST
Science Demonstration Clinches Win for Miss America
'Miss America is someone who needs to educate'
- The new Miss America is the fourth Miss Virginia to wear the crown—and the first candidate to perform a science demonstration in front of judges. "Miss America is someone who needs to educate," 24-year-old biochemist Camille Schrier told the judges after a colorful demonstration of the catalytic...
A Big First in the
Beauty Pageant Arena
Dec 16, 2019 1:33 AM CST
A Big First in the Beauty Pageant Arena
After Miss Jamaica wins Miss World, black women now hold titles in all 5 major beauty pageants
- This year was "historic" in the beauty pageant world, per the
, capped off by a win by Miss Jamaica Toni-Ann Singh in the Miss World contest Saturday. What Singh's victory means beyond her own event is that, for the first time ever, the titles of all...
Ms. Nevada Loses Crown
Over Her Facebook Posts
Aug 22, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Ms. Nevada Loses Crown Over Her Facebook Posts
Katie Williams describes 'hypocrisy' at Ms. America pageant
- Organizers of the Ms. America pageant say Ms. Nevada was stripped of her crown for violating social media rules. Katie Williams says her conservative values are really at the root of the move. "I just don't understand how you can censor someone ... when I'm not even really...
Dethroned Miss Michigan Says
Liberals Can't Accept Her Views
Jul 23, 2019 2:03 AM CDT
Dethroned Miss Michigan Says Liberals Can't Accept Her Views
Kathy Zhu defends tweets that cost her crown
- Even before she returned the crown and sash, Kathy Zhu said she doesn't regret the social media posts that cost her the Miss Michigan crown last week. Zhu held the title for one day before she received a text from a pageant official saying: "Do not go out...
Beauty Queen Loses
Her Crown Over Tweets
Jul 20, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Beauty Queen Loses Her Crown Over Tweets
Kathy Zhu says she's 'seen this happen before'
- For one beauty queen, her tweets meant her crown. Kathy Zhu, 20, has been told she's no longer Miss Michigan 2019 because her "social media accounts contain offensive, insensitive and inappropriate content." Zhu blames her remarks about hijabs and black violence for the uncrowning: "I have...
Beauty Queen: Gambia's
Ex-Dictator Raped Me
Jun 27, 2019 11:31 AM CDT
Beauty Queen: Gambia's Ex-Dictator Raped Me
Fatou 'Toufah' Jallow says sexual assault at hands of Yahya Jammeh happened 4 years ago
- A Gambian beauty pageant winner has accused former dictator Yahya Jammeh of raping her four years ago, the latest allegation of abuses committed by the ex-president now living in exile in Equatorial Guinea. Fatou "Toufah" Jallow, now 23, said she plans to testify later this year before Gambia's...
She Was Told
She'd Never Have
Friends. Now, a
Beauty Pageant First
Jun 8, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
She Was Told She'd Never Have Friends. Now, a Beauty Pageant First
Rachel Barcellona will be first contestant with autism to compete for Miss Florida title
- When Rachel Barcellona was young, she received a devastating diagnosis: She had autism, and her family was told she would likely never graduate from any school, nor make friends. Now, WFLA details a big event coming up for the 22-year-old University of South Florida student: the Miss Florida beauty pageant,...
Jun 5, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Another Shake-Up at Miss America
Gretchen Carlson stepping down as board chairwoman
- Pageant officials got their wish : Gretchen Carlson is stepping down as board chairwoman of the Miss America Organization after more than a year , reports the AP . The former Fox News host and former Miss America says in a statement Wednesday that she has helped make the organization more relevant. She'...
3 Top Pageant
May 4, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
3 Top Pageant Winners Have Something in Common
Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, Miss America are all black
- When Cheslie Kryst won the Miss USA crown , it marked more than a personal triumph: It meant that for the first time, three black women are the reigning Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, and Miss America, the AP reports. The North Carolina lawyer completed the historic triple Thursday with pageant...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.